Sign in to follow this  
Mungo Bumpkin

Holt is the problem

Well said! We should  all just vote for good old salt of the earth Holty for POTS even though he''s done jack all this  eason and heaven forbid never question that (whisper it) perhaps giving him the contract extension wasn''t the best decision in the long term. You tell ''em Webby. Have you got a poster of Holty on your bedroom wall?

Holt never ever gives less then 100%, if anything i think he is working too hard for the team, running down the wing chasing lost causes, tackling players on the half way line etc, when maybe he should be more selfish and stay in and around the penalty area, No doubt the system hughton plays means he has to do all the running himself upfront. Our biggest problem is that the midfield are too slow in going forward when holt manages to win the ball without being fouled, to give him someone to pass to.

I think the new signings will mean Holt will be selfish and determined to score for himself, and i really fancy him scoring tomorrow.

ignoring the slightly special needs opinion of the OP

the reason holty hasnt scored this season like he has previously is the tactics and formation employed by hughton

no striker is going to get close to double figures in a defensive deep lying 451 which is encouraged to grind out draws and sit deeper than the darkest parts of Katie Price''s bottomless snatch

lambert played to the players strengths (look at the damn goal differences in the promotion seasons compared to other teams, but then look at the POINTS WON), hughton is too afraid of losing so tries knocking square pegs into round holes in the hope of holding onto points

Well said technika. Saw the thread headline, saw the OP as Arsekin so thought...mmm just back from pub could do with a laugh.

I know he does it to stir us up, or at least I hope that''s why he does it. No one can be that thick surely or should I say Shirley. Has anyone thought he probably is a young girl with no friends?

I got ridiculed at the start of the season when I suggested Grant Holt''s stock will never be higher & he won''t improve on his first Prem campaign.

Can''t see him getting as much game time now either with 2 new strikers chomping at the bit. Only thing that could happen now is Super Grant Holt turns up tomorrow and get''s a brace, laying claim to his starting position ... pls I still want to be wrong & Grant to prove the critics wrong !

The lardy tyre fitter insult tells you all you need to know about the bumpkin.

He''s one of those fans who sits behind you at a game and moans throughout the whole game.

Why people like this bother to go to a game beats me!

[quote user="deltic31"]The lardy tyre fitter insult tells you all you need to know about the bumpkin.

He''s one of those fans who sits behind you at a game and moans throughout the whole game.

Why people like this bother to go to a game beats me![/quote]

He is like a zit you can''t get rid of, how ever much you squeeze it, it keeps coming back.    

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

The transfer window has shut amid much wringing of hands - why didn''t we spend then national debt of a small country on a bloke who has scored lots of goals in a joke league. If that''s all you wanted, I''m sure there are plenty to choose from any Saturday afternoon at Sloughbottom Park who have done the same.

Our biggest problem is a lack of goals, thats clear for all to see. The reason for this is that our former hero, Grant Aloysius Holt, hasn''t bothered to turn up this season. At the start of last season he was getting a lot of bench time, Moro was first choice and scoring. Holt had to win his place back and prove the doubters wrong. Which, to his credit, he did. Then he began to believe the glowing newspaper reviews and suggestions of England call ups. Come the summer, with the help of his odious agent, he uses a transfer request to engineer a contract extension. I don''t blame CH in the slightest - this was all happening just as he arrived. But what about DM? Usually the consumate businessman, did he for once lack the kahunas to do the right thing? Will Holty be up to Premiership football in two years time? It''s arguable he''s not up to it this season. DM just didn''t want to be the man whon sold the club''s talisman.

And now we''re stuck with a player who is a shadow of his former self who simply doesn''t put a shift in. Why should he? He knows that if he''s fit (all things are relative) he plays. There is zero competition for the centre forward berth. And we also have the increasingly annoying dying swan act at the slightest nudge - Holt has become a parody of what opposition fans hate about him.

I really hope that Becchio (or Kamara) is able to seize the opportunity and eclipse Holty or at the very least give him the kick up his over-sized @rse that he desperately needs to remind him what it is he is paid so much to do.

Fingers crossed!

Mungo

[/quote]

Holt hasn''t had the service or the chances this season so it is unfair to blame Holt. It seems strange that when Bassong and Holt are out if the team we get pasted so this doesn''t tell me Holt is the problem.

Another going through the motions "I can''t believe I''ve just trousered another 40 grand" performance. Completely ineffective and couldn''t care less. Must start Becchio as front man for the rest if the season. Must offload the tyrefitter, even on a free, in the summer. He is killing the will to win in this once proud club.

For the first time today I thought Holt was simply not interested. So disappointing from an undoubted City icon - three years in a row POTS. I suspect whichever league we play in next season Holt won''t be part of it.

Mungo how the hell can you say Holt is killing the will to win at this club? That is down to Hughton and his coaching staff!!

[quote user="NCFCPaul"]I dont post too much on here and recognize Mungo as very much a troll. However rather worryingly i agree with many points above. I dont 100% agree that the problem is Holt, but i believe its the lack of any real competition before this transfer window that is the problem. Many people in their everyday jobs (me included) work better when they have a bit of pressure on them to succeed. Holt hasnt had that this season so its very easy to let standards slip a little. I do think that he is playing well though, and that the change in system hasnt helped him with regards to scoring goals. He is now much more responsible for holding the ball up and bringing the attacking trio behind him into play. IMO this is where the problem lies for me... Those 3 behind Holt arent scoring their fare share from open play. Wes as much as I love him scored his 2nd? goal of the season this week, Snodgrass has scored from set pieces and maybe 1 from open play and Pilks has 4? If we are going to play this system, the guys behind Holt need to score more themselves. Thats my view.[/quote]

Some of them are. Our highest scorer is a midfielder.

For me I reckon this could be Holt''s last season for us as main striker because the club just couldn''t afford to replace him with better at the start of the season. The style we are playing means the balls are not always going into the box and when they do Holt''s not in the box to do them justice. Perhaps playing with 2 strikers but not necessarily 4-4-2 is 1 solution to the goal problem.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

I''d play Becchio and Kamara up front and give the lardy tyrefitter some bench time tomorrow. He''s got above his station don''t you know.

[/quote]

But you would only do that because you whistle out of your back passage,

[quote user="technika"]ignoring the slightly special needs opinion of the OP

the reason holty hasnt scored this season like he has previously is the tactics and formation employed by hughton

no striker is going to get close to double figures in a defensive deep lying 451 which is encouraged to grind out draws and sit deeper than the darkest parts of Katie Price''s bottomless snatch

lambert played to the players strengths (look at the damn goal differences in the promotion seasons compared to other teams, but then look at the POINTS WON), hughton is too afraid of losing so tries knocking square pegs into round holes in the hope of holding onto points[/quote]Comparing Mungo to people with special needs is insulting to people with special needs !

I think Mungo isn''t too far wrong with his sentiment that Holt that we all love has not turned up this season!

Watchin him this week against QPR, yes he battled, yes he ran the channels well and yes plays the lone role well, but where is that Holt determination and grit, he used to play with a big smile, now it''s more of a smirk!

What I found really interesting was the amount of times he had a moping negavie head on and giving the lads a real moan! Sorry but sometimes as the leader on the pitch you need to lead by exapmle and encourage those on the pitch.

I love Holty, still the best player uptop by a mile, but I would love to see the real Grant Holt for the last 13 games, not the spoiled, I''m alright jack, I have my 3 year contract in the bag Comfortable Holt.