Sign in to follow this  
Bws Cat

Looks like some folks on BBC Sport aren't happy!

I wonder how many of them actually support Norwich and Celtic, or are just ''big club'' supporters who find the idea of us buying Hooper absurd?

Heres some snips...

"Why on earth would he want to go to Norwich? How do people think that playing in the Premiership is an achievement its self. Celtic are playing Juventus in the last 16 of the Champions League and will be in Europe again next year. Would rather be playing the likes of Motherwell and Ross County with occasional European games than the likes of Barnsley and Millwall."

"@375 Norwich has a 27,000 stadium,Celtic 60,000.Norwich has never won anything of note Celtic''s list falls of the bottomof the page..."

"Norwich? Really? I''ll crack the jokes."

"Norwich tiny city not being relegated is their idea of ''success''. That a comparatively tiny fan base etc. Stop being so bitter. Life''s mustard! ;-)"

Seems like we''ve ruffled a few feathers then ;).

Yeah - I''ve been following that thread on there too and it''s quite interesting. Some of the comments on there about Celtic being a far bigger club than us etc remind me of the things that Leeds fans were saying about us a couple of years back.

Celtic are playing giants like Inverness and Ross County week in, week out. We are away at Anfield today. Take your pick Gary Hooper.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]There''s no way you could argue that we''re a bigger club than Celtic however you quantify it.[/quote]
TV revenue [;)]

Wings of a Sparrow - As someone has already said in another thread. "Celtic are a bigger club than us in every way except in any way that matters."

The appeal of having a second crack in England will surely be too much of a lure for Hoops to turn down?

Or maybe that''s just wishful thinking!

I don''t think the staunchest City fan would argue that Celtic aren''t a bigger Club.

However, I''ll wager that Gary Hooper doesn''t just look at which Club is the biggest when deciding on his career future. He''ll be thinking about length of contract, weekly wage, opportunity to play in a top league, get into the England set-up, where he wants to live with his family etc.

There are many factors and whilst Celtic are a bigger Club, right now we are certainly capable of competing with them financially. Which is why this deal could happen. I reckon around £6.5m-£7m might just be enough.

What the Celtic fans are missing is the total lack of competition in their league. A true ambitious footballer will want to come to the Premier League and stake a claim for the England squad

If one club wants to pay OTT for Jordon Rhodes then that does not necessarily set the benchmark.

The Andy Carroll fee is widely recognised as one of the biggest jokes in transfer history. Again no benchmark.

Hooper might well be a bit under-valued by our bid,. but the fact remains that he has not kicked a Premiership ball in anger, that he wants away, and that his contract is relatively short.

There are also such things as sell-on clauses, appearance clauses etc. designed to benefit the selling club should the player succeed.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I don''t think the staunchest City fan would argue that Celtic aren''t a bigger Club. However, I''ll wager that Gary Hooper doesn''t just look at which Club is the biggest when deciding on his career future. He''ll be thinking about length of contract, weekly wage, opportunity to play in a top league, get into the England set-up, where he wants to live with his family etc. There are many factors and whilst Celtic are a bigger Club, right now we are certainly capable of competing with them financially. Which is why this deal could happen. I reckon around £6.5m-£7m might just be enough.[/quote]

That''s the deal. What difference does it make top Hooper that Celtic won the European Cup in 1967. Or that he''s going to pick up a virtually uncontested league winners medal in May. He''ll be a long time retired and what he earns until then must be more important to him. It''s not like he''s got any affinity to Celtic, Glasgow or Scotland.

What exactly qualifies for a ''big club''? If Celtic tried to but any of our first team squad the players would not be interested in the move, the same cant be said for the reverse so which one is the ''big club''?

they are a huge club with an enormous fan base. This season though they are playing in a one horse league and no more than a big fish in a swimming pool

we dont have the same history or fan base but are competitive in a competetive league with multiple time the world profile and earning potential - packed house with meaningful games every week, including against 4-8 of the worlds top 20 teams - rather than 4 big games a season once rangers are back in the league.

Any cup game is a bonus - but not really make our week in week out

lets not pretend anything but wages are the attraction - but that is all football is about now - so come join our circus!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]they are a huge club with an enormous fan base. This season though they are playing in a one horse league and no more than a big fish in a swimming pool

we dont have the same history or fan base but are competitive in a competetive league with multiple time the world profile and earning potential - packed house with meaningful games every week, including against 4-8 of the worlds top 20 teams - rather than 4 big games a season once rangers are back in the league.

Any cup game is a bonus - but not really make our week in week out

lets not pretend anything but wages are the attraction - but that is all football is about now - so come join our circus![/quote]summed it up beautifully ZLF !As a professional with the option to play in the Prem could you really think twice about playing in the SPL unless you are a ) from Glasgow or b) Scottish ?Only teams i would take Celtic over are QPR, Reading, Saints and Wigan !

I also think something else in our favour is that Hooper knows, come to Norwich have 1 or 2 good/great seasons and then a huuuuuuge move and mahooooosive payday would be on the cards.....