Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Time for Morison

Great win today vs Man U, but cant help feeling Grant Holt needs a stint on the bench now. He huffs and puffs, yes, but there is little running, never winning any aerial challenges, does not succeed drawing freekicks anymore, and I feel Morison is due a start now, even though we ar eplaying well at the moment, and got a good defensive record of late, etc.

Against Everton, I think Holty should be on the bench, and let Morison do the running for the first 60 mins, then come on against tiring defenders.

Holty is just not offering enough for me at the moment, and seems to need a month on the bench to shed a few pounds and get in shape.

Any comments on this?

Well....the result apart....analysing Holtys contribution of late, in the last 3-4 games...do you think he has played well?

I dont.

I expect more from him, more effort.

There is no running from him anymore. We used to see Holty running around, harassing defenders, forcing errors, etc. Now he is very stationary, almost to the tune of being unfit.

The commentators thought Holt was great today... So did I, so did everyone who has said anything about him apart from you...

Of course he still runs around a lot, you weren''t watching today were you? And if he''s not running as much, it''ll be because he''s been told not too... Hughton is much more strict, I would not be surprised if Hughton has told him to tone it down a bit.

Slightly confused, Holt did nothing but running around giving United a lot of trouble. I can''t see how anyone can question his efforts and work rate because yet again he gave it his all.

Holt did well today, but he can be deadly as an impact sub as well. As a late sub I would have preferred Jackson today who could have caused some surprise with his pace - especially against a result-chasing ManU. I thought the same during the game against Arsenal.   

Either the OP is a binner or wasnt at the game today.

Holt didnt stop running , ask ferdinand. he also made a few defensive clearences, in fact he was immense today

[quote user="city4eva"]

Either the OP is a binner or wasnt at the game today.

Holt didnt stop running , ask ferdinand. he also made a few defensive clearences, in fact he was immense today

[/quote]

Watched the entire game on TV.

And have seen all Norwich games this season...

And, if some of you look at Holtys efforts this season, it is certainly not on the same level as in recent seasons.

Unbelievable OP. You were obviously not at the game.

Holty was magnificent. Holding the ball up and distributing accurately.

Having said that all the lads were terrific today. As a 66 year old I don''t mind admitting a tear in the eyes, particularly when, just before he got sub''d, dear old Wes ran almost the length of the pitch chasing down a long ball. Boy does he earn his dosh.

Oh what was your point OP??

What some people think is that if Holt doesn''t score he shouldn''t be in the team. They will put up with what they see as "unfitness" as long as he scores.

What people have to realise is that this season - even more than last season - it is a team effort.     As long as the team are getting results, why would you change it?    Holt has a great nuisance value - and is more than capable of scoring, given the chance.

Results don''t lie.   Morison will have to wait for his chance.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Shame you couldn''t make it to the game today.[/quote]LOL so true, OP not got a clue ! Holt was immense today, even Moro pulled a shift ( shocking ! )That said, Moro does need to leave in January, hes not up to the standard. And to suggest he should have Holt''s place in the starting XI is hilarious !

I''m not calling for holt to be dropped because he ran his socks off today and gave the defenders a hard timebut I thought for the short time he was on the pitch today, Morison was terrific.

He won every ball that came his way, controlling most and distributing the ball. The first touch to pull the ball out of the sky was sublime. He also timed his pass to jonny to perfection.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Shame you couldn''t make it to the game today.[/quote]LOL so true, OP not got a clue ! Holt was immense today, even Moro pulled a shift ( shocking ! )That said, Moro does need to leave in January, hes not up to the standard. And to suggest he should have Holt''s place in the starting XI is hilarious ![/quote]

Rubbish. He''s more than worthy of a place in our squad. I''d bet you weren''t of that opinion half way through last season when he was banging them in?!

Personally I thought Morison held onto the ball too long and pushed Howson wide when he played it. If he''d released it earlier and more central it would have been an easier chance, but its all personal opinion.

I agree when he came on though he won the ball well in the air. To be honest I think he is better in the air than Holt at getting flick ons an holding up the balls hit long, but there''s not much in it.

Holt''s all round game is much better though imo, Some of his link up play, especially with Hoolahan , is superb, not to mention the great work he does defensively and his overall great workrate.

I see no reason to get rid of Morison (sorry Nexus!) I think he is a good squad player, but I certainly see no reason to drop Holt on present form, he was great today.

[quote user="grefstad"]Great win today vs Man U, but cant help feeling Grant Holt needs a stint on the bench now. He huffs and puffs, yes, but there is little running, never winning any aerial challenges, does not succeed drawing freekicks anymore, and I feel Morison is due a start now, even though we ar eplaying well at the moment, and got a good defensive record of late, etc.

Against Everton, I think Holty should be on the bench, and let Morison do the running for the first 60 mins, then come on against tiring defenders.

Holty is just not offering enough for me at the moment, and seems to need a month on the bench to shed a few pounds and get in shape.

Any comments on this?[/quote]

Not what he said ...

[quote user="QHcanary"]! Rubbish. He''s more than worthy of a place in our squad. I''d bet you weren''t of that opinion half way through last season when he was banging them in?![/quote]A win vs Utd and all the plastic fans come out to "support"Somoene want to enlighten this lad regarding my opinion of Morison ?He''s no good and when he was " banging them in" was over a year ago. I would love for him to shut me up and find some form but as he hasnt and wont I think its fair enough that we get shot of him while we can still get £1m for him !Hes not good enough.

I might groan very loudly if he makes a mistake ( so belive me I groan a lot when hes on the pitch ) but I''d never overtly Boo the bloke or actually give him crap while on the field.Today I actually did say "Holy crap Moro controlled it ?!? " when he recieved the ball and I did say that even Moro played his part today.But I am yet to see anything from him to really be excited. People can hardly argue anything outside of his little run of form ( maybe luck ) which was now a year ago. Apart from that and one goal vs Arsenal he has done bugger all and really not looked like he has wanted to do anything for a year !

[quote user="QHcanary"]So season ticket holders are "plastic" now, are they?

Get a grip.[/quote]Ok so as you hold a season ticket you will agree the guy has done nothing to warant a place in our squad since January 2012 other than the Arsenal goal ?Give me a good argument as to what he gives us ?My only thoughts about his being above Jacko in the pecking order is that Hughton is shop windowing him.

[quote user="grefstad"]Great win today vs Man U, but cant help feeling Grant Holt needs a stint on the bench now. He huffs and puffs, yes, but there is little running, never winning any aerial challenges, does not succeed drawing freekicks anymore, and I feel Morison is due a start now, even though we ar eplaying well at the moment, and got a good defensive record of late, etc. Against Everton, I think Holty should be on the bench, and let Morison do the running for the first 60 mins, then come on against tiring defenders. Holty is just not offering enough for me at the moment, and seems to need a month on the bench to shed a few pounds and get in shape. Any comments on this?[/quote]

Never read so much tripe in my life!

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="QHcanary"]So season ticket holders are "plastic" now, are they?

Get a grip.[/quote]Ok so as you hold a season ticket you will agree the guy has done nothing to warant a place in our squad since January 2012 other than the Arsenal goal ?Give me a good argument as to what he gives us ?My only thoughts about his being above Jacko in the pecking order is that Hughton is shop windowing him.[/quote]I think you''re wrong about Morison, but I''m not willing to discuss the matter any further with someone who thinks that Chris Hughton would put a player on the pitch when 1-0 up against Utd in order to "shop window" him. That tells me all I need to know about the validity of your opinion.

My opinion is - other than if Holt is unable to walk properly or unable to dress himself, he should start ahead of Morison

[quote user="QHcanary"]I''m not calling for holt to be dropped because he ran his socks off today and gave the defenders a hard timebut I thought for the short time he was on the pitch today, Morison was terrific. He won every ball that came his way, controlling most and distributing the ball. The first touch to pull the ball out of the sky was sublime. He also timed his pass to jonny to perfection.[/quote]

I also thought Morison was great when he came on and did the job he was asked to do

Morison looked good when he came on. Seems ready to push Holt hard for that starting birth. Holt still starts for me, Morison will get his chance and if when that comes he performs like he did in his time on the pitch against Man Utd, it may be Holt trying to snatch the starting striker position from Morison.

[quote user="QHcanary"]I think you''re wrong about Morison, but I''m not willing to discuss the matter any further with someone who thinks that Chris Hughton would put a player on the pitch when 1-0 up against Utd in order to "shop window" him. That tells me all I need to know about the validity of your opinion.

[/quote]I mentioned nothing about todays game and shop windowing !  I also said that Moro even played his part. My comment was about Moro''s place in the pecking order at the moment, as Jackson gives us a lot more."My only thoughts about his being above Jacko in the pecking order is that Hughton is shop windowing him."That is what I said about shop windows, so I suggest you stop licking them and learn to read or at least analyse comments rather than jumping to conclusions !As for people saying Moro is ready to challenge Holt I find this hilarious, you would judge 10 minutes on the field as a reasonable challenge for Holt ?The whole team changes when Holt is on the field, you can see the confidence raise and the heads go up.He is our talisman and without him the glue would come unstuck, of course he is replaceable and there will be a time when he needs to go.Now is not that time and Moro is no where near a sutible replacement. He does not galvanise the team like Holt, has no where near Holt''s work rate and does not get back to defend.So now give me some actual reasons why Moro is even in the same conversation as Holt ?!