Sign in to follow this  
SnakepitCanary

Sebastian Bassong aka Beast

We have a top quality centre back in our ranks in Bassong if he keeps these performances up. He''s already my favourite NCFC player. He''s got everything you need to be a modern day centre back. Pace, strength, good tackle, leadership skills. I love the guy. 

I agree. He is a huge signing for us and we need him to stay fit and play as many games as possible this season. Not only is he an excellent defender but our whole defence performs better and looks more composed when he plays.

I thhink he may well be a very strong contender for POTS at the end of the season.

Totally agree. He is an absolute monster and a key player for us this year. I''m pretty sure he is actually the best CB I''ve ever seen in a city shirt, I can''t think of any CB we''ve had that was better. Malky was about the closest I''ve seen and I would say that Seb has been playing at a higher level than Malky based on his performances so far. 
Keeping him fit will be key to our survival prospects this season imo

[quote user="kick it off"]Totally agree. He is an absolute monster and a key player for us this year. I''m pretty sure he is actually the best CB I''ve ever seen in a city shirt, I can''t think of any CB we''ve had that was better. Malky was about the closest I''ve seen and I would say that Seb has been playing at a higher level than Malky based on his performances so far. 
Keeping him fit will be key to our survival prospects this season imo
[/quote]No offence to Malky, but Bassong is streaks ahead of him. Malky was not the best defender, but is fondly remembered mainly due to the important goals he scored. Fleming was the strongest centre back out of the two, and there were some calls for Shackell to replace Malky during the 03/04 season.

[quote user="kick it off"]Totally agree. He is an absolute monster and a key player for us this year. I''m pretty sure he is actually the best CB I''ve ever seen in a city shirt, I can''t think of any CB we''ve had that was better. [/quote]

Dave Watson (England international)

Steve Bruce (England B international)

Dave Linighan (England B international)

Dave Jones (Wales international?)

Duncan "Big Dunc" Forbes

David Stringer

And before I can clearly remember, Butler!

Thats some competition when it comes to  centre backs!

You didn''t remember Monty Norman though did you TFA. A full England international, poached by Spurs. They did give us a few decent players back in return though. Bowen, Culverhouse, Polston, Crook, Neighbour.

Re: Bassong. These big strong and skilfull  African players have added a new dimension to Premier League (and European) football. A must for every team.

We now have two in Tetttey and Bassong. Well done the Hoots.  

It feels like Seb Bassong has been here for 50 games because he has settled in so well. Isn''t it strange how some players just gel straight away at a Club and I suspect Tettey might do the same. Players who love being at a Club are important assets: think of the likes of Ruddy, Russ Martin, Wes and Benno for starters. This is where team spirit comes from.

Twice I have seen Bassong reported as saying he just loves football. What a breath of fresh air.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="kick it off"]Totally agree. He is an absolute monster and a key player for us this year. I''m pretty sure he is actually the best CB I''ve ever seen in a city shirt, I can''t think of any CB we''ve had that was better. [/quote]

Duncan "Big Dunc" Forbes

David Stringer

[/quote]

I don''t think Jon Newsome would be out of place on that list.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I agree. He is a huge signing for us and we need him to stay fit and play as many games as possible this season. Not only is he an excellent defender but our whole defence performs better and looks more composed when he plays.

I thhink he may well be a very strong contender for POTS at the end of the season.

[/quote]   possibly the best thing whitbread ever did for us is leaving. if he had signed a new contract bassong would not be here now. boy, have we ever gained from that. ahead for POTS in my book, but a long way to go yet. and better still, cameroon have not qualified for the african cup so he will not be leaving for several weeks next year.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Duncan "Big Dunc" Forbes

David Stringer

[/quote]
I''m 25 mate, all of the above were before my time hence the "I''ve ever seen in a City shirt" bit [;)]

[quote user="Timmah"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Duncan "Big Dunc" Forbes

David Stringer

[/quote]

I don''t think Jon Newsome would be out of place on that list.

[/quote]But if we add Bassong and Newsome to the list that Tangible gave us, then who would be top of your list if you had to narrow it down to just one and why?

This has probably been mentioned in another thread but we have already kept two clean sheets, compared with the total of three all last season.

TFA been watching too much comedy repeat channel?

Andy Linighan

While we''re at it..you gotta love Tony Powell

I was so jarred off when Ayala was put out on loan.....BUT then, couldnt believe we signed Bassong, a player I rated big time when he was at Spurs and who has simply been terrific since he joined. A magic signing by CH, and yes, he could well turn out to be the best CB to pull on a City shirt......that is, other than Willie Young of course! 

[quote user="lappinitup"]How could Tangy forget the Doc? [:S][+o(][+o(][/quote]How could he indeed?Another one who should be on the list is John Polston.

I''m not sure that Malky was the best centre back we''ve ever had but I always tell my mates from Watford that we would have stayed up in 2004/05 if we''d kept him instead of playing Simon Charlton.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Erm how could you all forget Ian Butterworth FFS, morons![:@][/quote]JP''s sidekick [Y]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Erm how could you all forget Ian Butterworth FFS, morons![:@][/quote]

JP''s sidekick [Y]
[/quote]

Precisely, Butterworth wouldn''t have played that many games and in the top division too if he was mediocre. 

Oooh Culverhouse and Bowen too, I''m salivating, just at the thought of that defence......

[quote user="TIL 1010"]David Jones was a very classy centre half and i am surprised his name has not been mentioned.[/quote]

Ooops just spotted him on Tangibles list.[:$]

Bruce and Watson were the first centre back pairing to really come to my attention-before then, as a youngster, I was so drawn to the attacking players we had at the club I tended to ''neglect'' who was playing at the back!

Have often thought it would be unlikely, for me, that we''d have a central defensive partnership as good, reliable and solid as they were.

But hell, Bassong and ''x'' might be up there-with, I suppose, Turner and Ryan Bennett the contenders to be his long term partner. Given the amount of money we''ve spent on Bennett and his obvious potential and the manner in which he is rated in the game (Pearce one to wax lyrical about him) I''m surprised he isn''t getting more game time, but then we spent a lot of money on Turner too. The difference between him and Bennett is that he is pretty much the finished article, whereas Bennett has a lot of learning and development to do still. I do wonder if we might loan Bennett out in January, given Turner and Bassong would seem fixed and Barnett is cover, especially as Whittaker will then free Russ Martin up to slot in at centre back as well if needed. You can certainly see why Ayala was let out now, but, even if he was to come back, he''d now have a job to get into the side. Of course, the whole situation might change again if Barnett was to go in January, loan or otherwise. The only certainty seems to be that Bassong is a fixture in the side now and part of the very strong spine of the side that CH is getting together-based on Ruddy-Bassong-Tettey-Holt? That''ll do me.

The only thing that concerns me about Bassong will be, if he keeps his form and play up, a few Premier League clubs will start to pay attention to him and start asking questions. He could, he already has, played at a higher level in this league & I hope there aren''t. or won''t, be clubs aware of this if a centre half is on a few peoples wanted list come January or the Summer.

He looked settled and part of things from the first few minutes against QPR. Hughes had clearly told his side to lob a few long/high balls his way, he dealt with them all with calm authority, laying it off with one touch some of the time so they soon packed that in. POTS? Well, too early to call. But future Captain if he sticks around, that I can see. He''s raised the bar for me as to the type and quality of player we can get to the club now and that can only be a good thing. May that trend continue.

According to Transfermarkt we only paid £2.5m for Bassong and considering he is a proven Premier League defender that is a sensational bargain

Also apparenrly we only paid £1.2m for Tettey

So it seems the Hoot has quite an eye for a bargain :D