Sign in to follow this  
The Doc

Canary call Steve

Moron! His thinly veiled racism regarding foreigners playing for the club made me embarrassed on Norfolk''s behalf. Wish Butler had more balls to pull him up on it.

Garrido, Bassong and Jackson were class

I''d much rather see Norwich field a team of just English players - afterall we are an English club. But im not against us buying foreign players.

Unfortuantely Canary Call attracts a bunch of complete idiots.... Some speak sense, but some it makes me wonder sometimes who these people are :S... I think Canary Call needs to be taken with a pinch of salt lol.

Sadly most callers seem to believe canary call is a stage to be used for their rants. A glorious chance for some attention.

This was a scary, scary call.

He was trying to goad Daryl Russell into saying Garrido, Bassong & Tettey are just washed-up journeymen here for a payday and are not interested in putting in any effort ''for the shirt''.

The guy clearly doesn''t realise they are all under 30, have played some excellent football within the past 12 months and has forgotten how bad the aged Antoine Sibierski was.

His opinion was that they are all just ''foreigners'' and are clearly not to be trusted - he reminded me of the England fans that refused to acknowledge black players in the early 80s. Some of them still say we beat Brazil 1-0 in that 1984 friendly and have scrubbed John Barnes'' dribbled second goal from history.

Russell to his credit stuck to his guns and pointed out Garrido did have an excellent debut and chased everything he could but Steve wasn''t having it.

Then Rob Butler very handily had to go to an interview with Simeon Jackson.

Opinions are like ar5eholes - everyone has got one (and they sometimes stink!) but surely Snorefolk can vet ignorant gits like this before they get on the air.

[quote user="The Doc"]Moron! His thinly veiled racism regarding foreigners playing for the club made me embarrassed on Norfolk''s behalf. Wish Butler had more balls to pull him up on it.

Garrido, Bassong and Jackson were class[/quote]I wouldn''t call it racism.  It was just incredible ridiculous thinking.  I was more taken back at his use of the word journeymen.

"but surely Snorefolk can vet ignorant gits like this before they get on the air"

The whole point is often to find cretins like this to ''spice up'' the show - it cause controversey and puts up audience figures ...

....and comment (as above)

Didn''t this guy say he listened to it on the radio?  I''m sure if he saw the quality performances from players like Garrido and Bassong today he would have a different opinion. 

I actually turned off Canary Call at that point. It was such a small minded call and flawed on many levels. The idea of buying young and hungry lower league players is an admirable one which Paul Lambert turned into an art form. But even Lambert the great exponent of this theory admitted there was a finite amount of talent in the lower leagues. Note how he has predominantly (Lowton aside) done his shopping abroad so far while at Villa.

Not every foreign player is a selfish, lazy mercenary just as not every British player is an honest, working grafter. I am sure Hughton has done his homework and had a discussion with people like Graham Carr (who know France inside out) about players like Tettey. Carr has already given advice to teams like Coventry about signing players.

Seb Bassong he knows personally and lets face it. If this doesnt work for Bassong he will have been relegated with 3 different teams. I doubt there will be a surge for Premier League clubs to sign him again after that. So it is in his interests to work very hard and make this move work for him.

Well I had to switch over to 5 Live after listening to that idiot!

Just because we were able to find some gems in the lower leagues, there aren''t that many! Also you can''t keep trying to improve with players that are yet to prove their ability at the highest level.  A mixture is needed to succeed.

Garrido and  Bassong were excellent today! Garrido was my man of the match, great positional play, excellent reading of the game, and has a terrific delivery into the box.  All in all a class player! If we can incorporate more players like this into the club then we will be well on the way to having a really strong team and squad!

Just need to be more clinical up front! Great performance and great effort.  We deserved much more from today!

Snake

"Didn''t this guy say he listened to it on the radio?"

as do a fair few it would seem, as either it is that mindset to phone in - or most others who have been to the game are still getting back to their car/bus/train or if not journeying homw are having a jar afterwards in the pub

however nothing beats the old boy who phoned in last season to berate (Crofts, I think) only to be told that said player wasn''t actually playing - the old boy then admitted that he had dozed off during part of the game as he was listening to it in the shed

Simply put, Radio Carrott should ''ape'' their counterparts in many other areas.

Tossers like that should be put down promptly by Butler and if it puts off these idiots for a couple of weeks, then great.

Eventually we would have a decent discussion with a bit of humour. Believe me, we have decent intelligent people keen to contribute but the programme is a joke with it''s present format..

It needs a brave change. We need a presenter with an excellent sense of humour and a cutting put down for these cretins.

I thank you

I stopped listening to Canary call when I used to get infuriated at them putting callers who hadn''t been to the game on the air. Whether I''d been to the game, or listened to the radio the last thing I want to hear is the opinion of someone who only heard commentary. If the game was on tv and they watched it that''s totally fine.The thought of some half wit like this Steve guy would have driven me crazy, so it''s probably a good thing I don''t listen anymore!

[quote user="City1st"]

"but surely Snorefolk can vet ignorant gits like this before they get on the air"

The whole point is often to find cretins like this to ''spice up'' the show - it cause controversey and puts up audience figures ...

[/quote]

I think Peter The Deleter uses the same priniples to ''spice up'' this message board.......

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

I think Peter The Deleter uses the same priniples to ''spice up'' this message board.......

[/quote] Is there some sort of written test involved, the ones who can get to post on the PinkUn the ones who can''t get canary call?

[quote user="City1st"]

"Didn''t this guy say he listened to it on the radio?"

as do a fair few it would seem, as either it is that mindset to phone in - or most others who have been to the game are still getting back to their car/bus/train or if not journeying homw are having a jar afterwards in the pub

however nothing beats the old boy who phoned in last season to berate (Crofts, I think) only to be told that said player wasn''t actually playing - the old boy then admitted that he had dozed off during part of the game as he was listening to it in the shed

[/quote]LMAO tell me you just made that up!

[quote user="Rootin FerHooten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
 Is there some sort of written test involved, the ones who can get to post on the PinkUn the ones who can''t get canary call?
[/quote]

I doubt it...

Have you seen any evidence there is?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rootin FerHooten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Is there some sort of written test involved, the ones who can get to post on the PinkUn the ones who can''t get canary call?[/quote]

I doubt it...

[/quote]Well I did have to complete a small written exam to get on the pinkun. Just spelling my name, email etc. nothing too taxing I thought....

[quote user="Rootin FerHooten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rootin FerHooten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
 Is there some sort of written test involved, the ones who can get to post on the PinkUn the ones who can''t get canary call?
[/quote]

I doubt it...

[/quote]

Well I did have to complete a small written exam to get on the pinkun. Just spelling my name, email etc. nothing too taxing I thought....
[/quote]

To get a job at May & Bakers as was there was a small written exam like that. Just recently I had cause to retrieve all my data from the data protection officer and saw to my horror I got one wrong[:$]

So never be too confident buddy..

[:-*]But I think for Pink Un purposes 15% is the pass.

"I didn''t know Wiz even had a shed...."

He is deaf so I doubt that he listens to Canary Call

it must also rather hinder his listening to the live commentary

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I stopped listening to Canary call when I used to get infuriated at them putting callers who hadn''t been to the game on the air. Whether I''d been to the game, or listened to the radio the last thing I want to hear is the opinion of someone who only heard commentary. If the game was on tv and they watched it that''s totally fine.

The thought of some half wit like this Steve guy would have driven me crazy, so it''s probably a good thing I don''t listen anymore!
[/quote]

That''s being a bit generous. They were asking for trouble when they started putting ''phones in places like that!

[quote user="Rootin FerHooten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Rootin FerHooten"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I doubt it...

[/quote]

Well I did have to complete a small written exam to get on the pinkun. Just spelling my name, email etc. nothing too taxing I thought....
[/quote]

Those with multiple accounts and e-mail addresses find it a tad more intensive.Maybe Smudger could confirm.[:P]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I didn''t know Wiz even had a shed....

[/quote]

One of the few benefits of being virtually deaf Nutty is not hearing the radio, infact it would seem its a blessing.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

One of the few benefits of being virtually deaf Nutty is not hearing the radio, infact it would seem its a blessing.

[/quote]

[st]Every cloud has a silver lining then Wiz[H]

Maybe next week I''ll try watching it on the wireless with the sound off.....

[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[st]Every cloud has a silver lining then Wiz[H]

Maybe next week I''ll try watching it on the wireless with the sound off.....

[;)]

This would go a long way to explaining where Wizard''s strange opinions come from.

[/quote]

I''m a staunch Canary fan living 250 miles from Norwich and I thoroughly enjoy listening to Canary Call every Saturday as well as Ricardo''s match reports. I often read the sarky comments made on here mocking callers to the programme and I agree that some of the callers are pretty stupid. As was the caller called Steve last night. However, to label the man a racist as some of the excitable posters on this thread have done is, quite simply, idiotic. Indeed, more ridiculous than Steve and other callers to CC I have heard over the years. He may have been jingoistic, although even that is pushing it, but he certainly was not expressing racist opinions. Frankly, I have ready very many more inane posters on this message board over the years than callers to Canary Call and many of you should get off your high horses and stop being so arrogant. I don''t like arrogant people at the best of times but I can''t stand people who are both arrogant and just plain silly.

[quote user="The Doc"]Moron! His thinly veiled racism regarding foreigners playing for the club made me embarrassed on Norfolk''s behalf. Wish Butler had more balls to pull him up on it.

Garrido, Bassong and Jackson were class[/quote]

He was not racist at all. your the moron for thinking that.