Sign in to follow this  
The Gingerking

Players that never delivered on that early promise.

Broadstairs gave me an idea for an international break thread (hopefully the last one we''ll need for a while!).

Apologies if it''s been done before but I am after.......

1) Norwich players (ex or current, perm or loan) that have never fulfilled on early promise shown.

2) England/ English players that never delivered on early promise shown.

To start the ball rolling, how''s about......

1) Ryan Jarvis

2) Jermaine Jenas

Accompanying elaboration most welcome!

Ha Norwich where do you even start?

1. Chris Llewellyn
  2. Darren Kenton
  3. Adrian Forbes (Spurs offered just over £1 million I seem to recall)
  4. Keith O''Neill (Newcastle were allegedly offering £3 or 4 million at one stage)
  5. Ryan Jarvis (Biggest disappointment of all for me)
  6. Karl Simpson (horrendous luck with injuries)
  7. Jamie Shore (see above)
  8. Andy Johnson (Remember John Faulkner who was assistant under Mike Walker saying he would put his house on Johnson making it big. Probably just as well he didn''t. He would be sleeping rough and routing around in bins)

Keith O''Neill had lots of astounding promise and ability. Not my opinion of the player, but his own.

He came to nothing and ended up being ''one of the best things to come out of Norwich.'' 

Chris Llewellyn.Thought he had some talent,but it didn''t take him far.

Ledley King.If he had kneecaps he could have been a top,top England player.

George Waites.....George came to Carrow Rd with Leyton Orient and tore us apart. I was so excited a few days later when we signed him, but he never reproduced that form for us. [:(]

Ryan Jarvis was a nice footballer but had no fire in his belly!

Chris Martin, still at the club fits into this category!

Alex Notman. Excellent scoring record for Man Utd youth/reserves, but never cut it here due to injuries. Set up Iwans goal in the cardiff playoff final.

[quote user="Herman "]

Chris Llewellyn.Thought he had some talent,but it didn''t take him far.

[/quote]

I think Llewellyn''s problem (and Sheron''s before him, and Chris Martin''s now to an extent) was that although he had talent he wasn''t obviously something. He didn''t have a specific position to call his own. He wasn''t fast and/or tricky enough to be a winger; too attacking to be a hard-working wide-midfielder; not sharp enough to be a pure goalscorer; not physical enough to be a target man.

[quote user="kingsway"]

Ryan Jarvis was a nice footballer but had no fire in his belly!

Chris Martin, still at the club fits into this category!

[/quote]

I never really thought Ryan Jarvis had much of a chance of making the grade and was really one of several young Norwich players of recent times to become very overrated.

Chris Martin always looked more likely to do something, in my opinion.

Kenton is a good shout - got too big for his boots and one of many who thought the grass was greener elsewhere. Suspect attitude did for all his undoubted talent. Had a spell at centre half in the season after the play offs where he was superb.

I always liked Llewellyn but agree with the poster that he didn''t have a specific position where he truly excelled. Scored some glorious goals for us though - an absolute screamer at Sheff Utd, another against them when Hamilton was manager when he finished off a marvellous one touch move by smashing the ball home from the edge of the box. Also seem to remember a great solo goal against Crewe (I think).

Older players would be Reeves & Fashanu. One of the best strike partnerships ever at CR - Reeves played for England whilst here. Both left for more than £1M and neither lived up to their form here. Same for Fleck & Gordon although both were established players when they left.

[quote user="Billabong"]Players that never delivered on that early promise That would have to be ME [/quote]

Must be difficult for you Billabong. I can honestly say that I delivered everything my early promise suggested I would[;)]

[quote user="Evesham Canary"]

Kenton is a good shout - got too big for his boots and one of many who thought the grass was greener elsewhere. Suspect attitude did for all his undoubted talent. Had a spell at centre half in the season after the play offs where he was superb.

I always liked Llewellyn but agree with the poster that he didn''t have a specific position where he truly excelled. Scored some glorious goals for us though - an absolute screamer at Sheff Utd, another against them when Hamilton was manager when he finished off a marvellous one touch move by smashing the ball home from the edge of the box. Also seem to remember a great solo goal against Crewe (I think).

Older players would be Reeves & Fashanu. One of the best strike partnerships ever at CR - Reeves played for England whilst here. Both left for more than £1M and neither lived up to their form here. Same for Fleck & Gordon although both were established players when they left.

[/quote]

That game was when i learnt not to leave early.1-0 down near the end of a poor game against Crewe,i''d had enough.After a toilet visit i was just headed out when i had a quick watch of the tv in the concourse,luckily just as Llewellyn was about to score the equaliser.Great goal.

Good shout re.Kenton-I think it was Bellars who wrote a piece that included his saying he thought Kents could play for England if he had the self belief and attititude.

He (Kents) was played at right back too much-I always thought centre back was his best position as he proved for a spell. Unquestionably the talent but sometimes all of that and more isn''t enough. Same applies to Michael Spillane I feel.

One who was a big disappointment for me was Gaetano Giallanza-but injury disrupted things for him, and just as he was starting to look the part.

agree with all the posters mentioning Llewellyn, he was rated as much better than bellers as a youngster by the people of south wales, but something went amiss twixt then and now.