Sign in to follow this  
Delias Love Child

Hughton's History

Can you please tell me why people keep referring to Hughton as a "proven" manager? He''s had half a season in Premier League. Gary Megson and John Deehan have got more than that. I don''t want to knock Hughton and I hope he proves to be a wizard, but he''s not a Manager with a vast amount of experience so lets not make him into something he''s not.

He got got Newcastle promoted comfortably into the Premier League, was doing OK until Mike the owner decided he wanted a ''''big'''' manager. Went to Birmingham and managed to turn a dreadful team into the play offs.Ok not a lot of experience, but he has done well where ever he has been. He was my first choice and I still think that.

I''m not debating who would be manager. I just don''t think we should be talking about Hughtons Experience when it is actually pretty threadbare. Whatever the reasons for him being sacked he only had half a season in the Premier League. I just think we should remember this when talking about him.

[quote user="ncfctilidie1080"]Can you please tell me why people keep referring to Hughton as a "proven" manager? He''s had half a season in Premier League. Gary Megson and John Deehan have got more than that. I don''t want to knock Hughton and I hope he proves to be a wizard, but he''s not a Manager with a vast amount of experience so lets not make him into something he''s not.
[/quote]

So you hope he turns into a moaning old *****?

My preferred choice was Hughton. I still think he can do it, but with more signings. I don''t mean just throwing money at it, but maybe looking further afield and willing to spend a little more than we have been.

the thing that worries me, and im not saying this is the case with Hughton (yet lol), but sometimes managers, just like players, have a level (see Warnock and many many more) - very good in the championship, not a f@rkin'' clue in the premier league.

with the Newcastle situation - can anyone really argue that Mike Ashley made the wrong choice there? look at how well they have done.

[quote user="ncfctilidie1080"]I''m not debating who would be manager. I just don''t think we should be talking about Hughtons Experience when it is actually pretty threadbare. Whatever the reasons for him being sacked he only had half a season in the Premier League. I just think we should remember this when talking about him.
[/quote]

Who''s talking about his experience apart from stating what it is?

I''ve always said that appointing a manager is a lottery. Just because McNally got a winning ticket with Lambert doesn''t mean he''ll win everytime. But it''s too early to judge Hughton yet.

Actually my friend it was not because the chairman wanted a bigger name, it was due to the lack of attacking football that had led to a drop in attendances that Mike Ashley decided warranted a change of manger.

And that dreadful Birmingham team had several payers with prem experience following their relegation and were xpected to go straight back up!

He''s done a good job at both of his full managerial jobs. Good win percentage and done what was asked of him.

Of course his win percentage is pretty awful at Norwich, eh? ;)

Lambert doesn''t have that much more experience at the top, just half a season, if we are looking at it that way.

The fact is that Hughton is and was the best option. He does have vast experience having worked his way through as Asst Manager at Spurs for years, and also with Ireland, took Newcastle on and won the Championship and was going well until getting the sack; he then took Brum on after relegation and losing their best players and under an embargo got them to the play-offs. There were few, if any, better options, and IMO he just may need a bit of time. It really is astonishing how people are suddenly questioning this on the back of one result. Ok, it might not work out, but he needs to be given a chance.

What do you mean ''admit'' his premiership experience is less than 1/2 season? It''s not a secret is it?

Lambert and Rodgers premier league experience at this stage last season was 1 game, look how that finished.

We all know that hughtons record, it''s how we interpret it that makes the difference in my eyes

Lambert and Rodgers premier league experience at this stage last season was 1 game, look how that finished.

Yes, but these two played ATTACKING football, every game home or away both gave it a go, and using tactical ingenuity, both got results. Neither made comments that you can''t go to a club like Fulham because they will hurt you with such good players who are better than you and have greater technical ability...........!

No you persist through pre season taking a previously attacking outfit and making them defensive.......it really does not work at all, you fail to register goals against the likes of MK and Hull, and you take such tactics into your first competitive match at Fulham..........and you get stuffed 5 - 0, and in the first 70 mins we mustered one shot (Surman) on goal...........it''s nothing to do with premier league experience, it''s about coaching, tactics and motivation, and we displayed nothing resembling any such input from Mr Hughton and his back room team - one of whom was relieved of his manager duties at Nottingham for quite obvious reasons they were bottom of the league - quite worrying that he is I understand our defensive coaches, it really doesn''t take a rocket scientist to see that should matters be allowed to continue in this way, and we fail to sign some quality, particularly a striker and a competent centre back with Hughton changing his mind set, then relegation, even after the first result of the season, looks on the cards. It really was a shocking performance on Saturday, it had to be seen to be believed, and there will be many more detractors for Hughton and his staff if a result is not forthcoming at home on Saturday.

The bottom line is that for me Chris Hughton was the outstanding candidate for the job. Based on the players and ethos here at the club. He fitted the bill perfectly. Its not been a great start and I am concerned by his assessment of the individual and collective strengths of the team. But I would prefer what we have now to the Steve Bruce''s and Phil Brown''s of this world who have that elusive "Premiership experience" you are looking for. I know some people on here wanted Iain Holloway because he would have attacked. But there is a difference between being positive and ridiculously gung ho. Lambert was wise enough to recognise the difference. I am not entirely sure Holloway was in his season with Blackpool. I am not convinced he has learned from that experience either

I live in the north east and I don''t believe Hughton was sacked for not playing attacking football, hadn''t they just beat Sunderland 5-1 a few weeks earlier. It seems Ashley and Hughton clashed on some matters, so Ashley went out a got in someone who would go along with his policies,Pardew at the time must have been the most unpopular choice imaginable, but look what happened.

I don''t post on here often, mainly because I cannot believe some of the extreme views after just one game! On Saturday I had 4 hrs on the train back from Fulham to stew about the result, I was annoyed I''d spent £200 to watch probably one of the most lacklustre displays I''d ever witnessed.

But it was just one game, football can be like that. I for one will start to judge CH after 10 games.

[quote user="porkyp"]Actually my friend it was not because the chairman wanted a bigger name, it was due to the lack of attacking football that had led to a drop in attendances that Mike Ashley decided warranted a change of manger.

And that dreadful Birmingham team had several payers with prem experience following their relegation and were xpected to go straight back up![/quote]I doubt that is actually true, they were playing good football and ask any Newcastle supporter at the time and they''d tell you they were angry and shocked. Admittedly looking back, it worked out for them.

[quote user="technika"]the thing that worries me, and im not saying this is the case with Hughton (yet lol), but sometimes managers, just like players, have a level (see Warnock and many many more) - very good in the championship, not a f@rkin'' clue in the premier league.

with the Newcastle situation - can anyone really argue that Mike Ashley made the wrong choice there? look at how well they have done.

I''m just wondering how Padrew has done it, never really rated him before Newcastle

[/quote]

[quote user="fleckyfan"]I live in the north east and I don''t believe Hughton was sacked for not playing attacking football, hadn''t they just beat Sunderland 5-1 a few weeks earlier. It seems Ashley and Hughton clashed on some matters, so Ashley went out a got in someone who would go along with his policies,Pardew at the time must have been the most unpopular choice imaginable, but look what happened.

I don''t post on here often, mainly because I cannot believe some of the extreme views after just one game! On Saturday I had 4 hrs on the train back from Fulham to stew about the result, I was annoyed I''d spent £200 to watch probably one of the most lacklustre displays I''d ever witnessed.

But it was just one game, football can be like that. I for one will start to judge CH after 10 games.

I believe he wanted hes golfing buddy in change [/quote]

[quote user="Jacko"]

The bottom line is that for me Chris Hughton was the outstanding candidate for the job. Based on the players and ethos here at the club. He fitted the bill perfectly. Its not been a great start and I am concerned by his assessment of the individual and collective strengths of the team. But I would prefer what we have now to the Steve Bruce''s and Phil Brown''s of this world who have that elusive "Premiership experience" you are looking for. I know some people on here wanted Iain Holloway because he would have attacked. But there is a difference between being positive and ridiculously gung ho. Lambert was wise enough to recognise the difference. I am not entirely sure Holloway was in his season with Blackpool. I am not convinced he has learned from that experience either

[/quote]

Hughton fits the bill to take us down with negative tactics and Newcastle were correct to sack him. Holloway would have continued Lambert''s good work IMO.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]

Hughton fits the bill to take us down with negative tactics and Newcastle were correct to sack him. Holloway would have continued Lambert''s good work IMO.

[/quote]

Haha, good joke. [:D]

Right? It is a joke isn''t it?

[quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="technika"]the thing that worries me, and im not saying this is the case with Hughton (yet lol), but sometimes managers, just like players, have a level (see Warnock and many many more) - very good in the championship, not a f@rkin'' clue in the premier league.

I''m just wondering how Padrew has done it, never really rated him before Newcastle

[/quote][/quote]

It''s about very good players that were not being utilised to full effect under Hughton. Pardew is now using them to optimum effect. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha, good joke. [:D]

Right? It is a joke isn''t it?

[/quote]

Holloway lost the play-off final this year having outplayed West Ham and minus his best player, Taylor-Fletcher. He''ll probably bring Blackpool up this year and show you that he is no joke.

Not sure the Hughton was the Outstanding candidate. A good candidate yes, but we never even looked at anyone else so it''s easy to be lead to believe he was head and shoulders above the rest. For the record. I think Liverpool have made a massive mistake appointing Rodgers. It wasn''t too long ago he was being sacked by Reading. The media can spin how good someone really is