Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Team (including Hughton) in Austria - surely no transfer deals until they return

As it said above guys.  I wouldn''t expect too much on the transfer front this week - take some valium and rest up this week, doomsayers (Wiz, perhaps spend the week finding those virgins you''ll need for future hex''s). 

I don''t beleive we''ve ever done a deal whilst overseas for pre-season training (though I stand to be corrected).

I''m quite disappointed by this. Not just because we haven''t spent any money but because the pre-season trip is the perfect chance for new players to bond and become part of the team.

Any new players joining now are going to find it even hard to settle.

Hmm!

Agreed, Lambert had it right when he wanted to get new players in as early as possible...

[quote user="shefcanary"]

As it said above guys.  I wouldn''t expect too much on the transfer front this week - take some valium and rest up this week, doomsayers (Wiz, perhaps spend the week finding those virgins you''ll need for future hex''s). 

I don''t beleive we''ve ever done a deal whilst overseas for pre-season training (though I stand to be corrected).

[/quote]

I''m pretty sure we have done. I can recall us signing Simon Charlton whilst the whole team were in Malaysia for one thing. I think the way it works now is that Hughton tells McNally who he wants and then mcNally does most of the rest of the work to do the deal. Obviously Hughton probably also speaks to the players as well but he can either do that by the phone or, in the case of Curtis Davies, the two already know each other extremely well anyway. I don;t see us being away as a barrier to signings being made.

I''m sure McNally is still busy doing work on Hughtons targets. We might not officially sign anyone until the squad is back, but I''m sure there''s lots going on behind the scenes

[quote user="AndyCanary"]I''m quite disappointed by this. Not just because we haven''t spent any money but because the pre-season trip is the perfect chance for new players to bond and become part of the team.

Any new players joining now are going to find it even hard to settle.

Hmm![/quote]Any excuse to have a moan

I''m sure, in a pefect world, signings would be made before players went on pre-season tour/training - but with the manager change this had to be put back, much more important to get the right players rather than just signing people in a rush.

Deals will be done while Norwich are away, new players can be put on a plane to Austria pretty quickly.

[quote user="Hog"]Agreed, Lambert had it right when he wanted to get new players in as early as possible...[/quote]

In an ideal world thats the best option, but Lamberts made no more signings than we have. Hughton being the successor has had even less time too. If Hughton has players in mind i dont think him being abroad would stop us bidding and talks starting, in this day and age he could even fly back he''s not in the North Pole.

Hughton has a bit of a tricky task on his hands, he needs to take the time to understand the players he already has at his disposal before he can identify positions to improve on. Im sure he has already identified players in all positions, but wont act on that until he knows for sure where he needs to act.  He does have money to spend but not enough to spend for the sake of spending.  I expect we will see some more movement once they return. 

What message would it send out to our current squad if Hughton signed new players without even looking at what he currrently has got. Every thing I have heard from him so far makes absolute sense to me and long may it continue.

[quote user="AndyCanary"]CDMullins: "Any excuse to have a moan" Um? please find another post where I''ve had ''a moan''.[/quote]

I think he was just making the comment in general and not direct at you, take a look at all message boards and it would be hard to find one that everyone totally happy and moan free, but to be fair, you can hold an interview with someone in Timbuckto and the North pole, all you need is WiFi , it works a treat. So I think people shouldn''t hit the panic button yet.

Agree no need to hit the panic button as over a month till the season kicks off. But attention seekers will come on here to have a moan and stir it up. I wonder how many of them are secret Binners pretending to be Canaries?

I imagine Hughton would have done business quickly if he had been with us last season. But as he has just joined and only started pre season training last week, it''s right that he takes time to get to know the existing players before making any drastic signings. He signed Whittaker as he knows we are low on full backs and he has always liked Butterfield and would of signed him for us regardless of seeing the other midfielders, especially when it''ll be a small fee. I think we will start to see abit of activity towards the end of this week, but give him a chance.

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="AndyCanary"]CDMullins: "Any excuse to have a moan" Um? please find another post where I''ve had ''a moan''.[/quote]

I think he was just making the comment in general and not direct at you, take a look at all message boards and it would be hard to find one that everyone totally happy and moan free, but to be fair, you can hold an interview with someone in Timbuckto and the North pole, all you need is WiFi , it works a treat. So I think people shouldn''t hit the panic button yet.

[/quote]Exactly this, if it isnt threads on Villa signings, Lambert, or Villa results, its people moaning we havnt signed anyboday this week.Jesus get a grip.The fact that we are in Austria for pre-season makes no difference to whether we sign anyone or not, some of you lot need to stop playing football manager and get into the real world. The manager identifies targets and leaves them with the people in charge to do the negotiaiting and work on the finances.Being in the 21st and all, im sure Chris Hughton as not only a mobile phone with him, but access to emails, the net etc.Stopping moaning and let the manager, players and everyone behind the scenes do their jobs!

[quote user="Wiz"]Didn''t we sign Jackson when the squad had already travelled to Germany?........he flew out later I recall.[/quote]Think youre right WizMost of the donkey work can be done by email, Skype, Instant Messenger and other similar communication.  Most players (and their agents) will have tablets, Smartphones etc to check things like contracts.  The only issue is that Hughton wont be alongside the player for the Press Conference - although there is no reason why someone cant jump on an plane fairly quickly for that

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Hog"]Agreed, Lambert had it right when he wanted to get new players in as early as possible...[/quote]

In an ideal world thats the best option, but Lamberts made no more signings than we have. Hughton being the successor has had even less time too. If Hughton has players in mind i dont think him being abroad would stop us bidding and talks starting, in this day and age he could even fly back he''s not in the North Pole.

[/quote]

Tin hat on, take cover...

Lambert has already made 3 signings - El Ahmadi, Lowton & Holman

Hooooton has only made 2 - Whittaker & Butterfield

Just an observation not a moan, we all know a couple more will be in sooner or later!

Holman wasn''t a Lambert signing. Mcleish tied that up before he was sacked. I am very comfortable with the situation at the moment. Hughton can have a long hard look at the players on this tour and make a decision on what needs improving. In an ideal world we would have players signed up early like last year. But the change of management has made that impossible. So we just have to do the best we can and get on with it.