Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Site for a new stadium?

[quote user="tom cavendish"]I wouldn''t be surprised if Norwich Airport closes in the future and that site becomes housing and a new stadium.[/quote]Your trolling about a new stadium becomes more and more risible Tom. Colney, no chance, UEA, no chance, Airport, laughable. CR will be the home of NCFC for the foreseeable future and by that I mean a minimum of 25 yrs.

[quote user="Herman "]If the stadium is on the outskirts of the city a higher proportion of fans would go straight home after the game,rather than lingering about,hitting the pubs and restaurants etc.[/quote]That wouldn''t be given any consideration with regard to planning permission.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="tom cavendish"]I wouldn''t be surprised if Norwich Airport closes in the future and that site becomes housing and a new stadium.[/quote]Your trolling about a new stadium becomes more and more risible Tom. Colney, no chance, UEA, no chance, Airport, laughable. CR will be the home of NCFC for the foreseeable future and by that I mean a minimum of 25 yrs.

[/quote]You don''t know that for certain. Likewise, if Norwich Airport was to close and the council offered NCFC a free new stadium (such as Swansea council did for SCFC), NCFC could then make huge sums of money from leasing part of the stadium to the UEA (as is planned to happen in Bristol), NCFC to make a huge sum of money from selling CR, and all the proceeds could go towards the team... do you seriously think that NCFC would turn it down and instead want to spend tens of millions of pounds on CR?

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Herman "]If the stadium is on the outskirts of the city a higher proportion of fans would go straight home after the game,rather than lingering about,hitting the pubs and restaurants etc.[/quote]

That wouldn''t be given any consideration with regard to planning permission.
[/quote]

I agree with that,but i am thinking of what is best for the club and the city as a whole.

I have for a long time thought that an out of city purpose built stadium is the best option,and if it does not happen now it will in the future. With a  sponsored multi sports leisure and shopping complex the rewards could be huge. The sale or lease of Carrow Rd, would be very lucrative and to overcome transport problems there could be a free or susidised shuttle from the rail,bus stations and park and ride locations.

I really do think the authorities should give serious reconsideration to their policy on standing in football stadiums, even if they limit it to a temporary situation, particularly when a club is increasing capacity, or even when enhancing facilities for the fans benefit in getting a of better view of the game.

I understand the decision to go to all seating but surely the authorities can open their minds and recognise the benefit to clubs, the fans and, most importantly, encouraging the overall growth of attendance in the sport by not putting a penalty on clubs who would like to expand their current facility but are penalised by suffering income loss while they do so. There is a long, long history of all standing in stadiums, and it''s still present in many other countries, so surely short term permission can be granted in cases where it''s warranted. There could be special provisions made for children.

I know many will say there is no point in anyone appealing the position of the authorities but I disagree with that. I watch motor car racing where fans are in a much more vulnerable position and also, at major golf tournaments, you see fans standing within a few feet of where a player is going to launch a ball at a speed of almost 150 MPH. The authorities ( and everyone else ) should be thinking outside the box in today''s world of tight money supply and tougher overall economies to help facilitate growth, not penalise those clubs who feel they might act if there were greater incentives to do so.

["lake district canary"]

Carrow Rd is the envy of many football clubs.   Those who work in an environment where ''change'' is seen as ''progress'' need to learn that this is not always the case.  Some things are best left just as they are.    We have a great football ground, great atmosphere, ideally situated near the city, railway etc. and  with the capacity to improve and extend.

There''s an old fashioned saying, but it still rings true...............................

IF IT AIN''T BROKE,  DON''T FIX IT!!

The most correct post on this now very tedious thread!

I''m a newbie on this forum but I''ve soon what worked you out Tom Cavendish!

What have you got against Carrow Road anyway!

["lake district canary"]

Carrow Rd is the envy of many football clubs.   Those who work in an environment where ''change'' is seen as ''progress'' need to learn that this is not always the case.  Some things are best left just as they are.    We have a great football ground, great atmosphere, ideally situated near the city, railway etc. and  with the capacity to improve and extend.

There''s an old fashioned saying, but it still rings true...............................

[quote user="kingsway"]

[/quote]

Except that Carrow Road is broke and does need fixing. It is too small. Or rather, the directors think it''s too small and want to expand it. By 8,000 seats. But there is no obvious way to do that. Once a few hundred seats are plonked in front of the hotel that''s that in terms of minor fixes.

There has to be a major project, and neither of the two obvious alternatives is madly attractive. Put an extra tier on The Jarrold and you end up with a ludicrous mismatch of stands. Rebuild the City Stand from scratch (apparently the only way to do it) and you have up to 18 months of work, with not enough space to put the 4,000 or so displaced fans, and massive loss of revenue to go with the £20m or more cost.

Purple Canary wrote:

Rebuild the City Stand from scratch (apparently the only way to do it) and you have up to 18 months of work, with not enough space to put the 4,000 or so displaced fans, and massive loss of revenue to go with the £20m or more cost.

Where is your proof that the City Stand needs to be rebuiilt from scratch. When it was built, the foundations were designed to be strong enough for a 2nd tier, and despite other peoples opinions, the club own the road behind the City Stand with the intention of expanding the City Stand 2nd tier onto it at a later date. I can see that stand being worked on if we  maintain Premiership status at the end of the upcoming season.

In regards to Parking Issues, The city has a very good Park and Ride network and a Train station easily reachable from the ground, so whats the problem. The fact you can walk to town after the game very quickly and easily in my opinion is a great advantage for both home and away fans. DO we really want a no character, no atmosphere new stadium? give me Carrow Road any day.

[quote user="Eastonpromise"]

Purple Canary wrote:

Rebuild the City Stand from scratch (apparently the only way to do it) and you have up to 18 months of work, with not enough space to put the 4,000 or so displaced fans, and massive loss of revenue to go with the £20m or more cost.

Where is your proof that the City Stand needs to be rebuiilt from scratch. When it was built, the foundations were designed to be strong enough for a 2nd tier, and despite other peoples opinions, the club own the road behind the City Stand with the intention of expanding the City Stand 2nd tier onto it at a later date. I can see that stand being worked on if we  maintain Premiership status at the end of the upcoming season.

In regards to Parking Issues, The city has a very good Park and Ride network and a Train station easily reachable from the ground, so whats the problem. The fact you can walk to town after the game very quickly and easily in my opinion is a great advantage for both home and away fans. DO we really want a no character, no atmosphere new stadium? give me Carrow Road any day.

[/quote]

That is what Alan Bowkett has said is the favoured option:

"I think the obvious route is the Geoffrey Watling stand, whether you put another layer on it or take it down and re-build, I don''t know. Probably the sensible thing to do is bite the bullet, take it down and build a new stand."

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Herman "]If the stadium is on the outskirts of the city a higher proportion of fans would go straight home after the game,rather than lingering about,hitting the pubs and restaurants etc.[/quote]That wouldn''t be given any consideration with regard to planning permission.[/quote]

I agree with that,but i am thinking of what is best for the club and the city as a whole.

[/quote]

Not true strictly speaking. Socio economic impacts would have to be looked at. It wouldn''t probably be a reason for refusal but would be a relevant consideration. Anyway a stadium at County Hall would be a nightmare highways wise and in terms of access and impacts on nearby residential areas. Carrow Road is just about as perfect a location as you could possibly pick for a football stadium in terms of fan access, access from the City Centre, train station etc and there is room to expand. Carrow Road could be stopped up (and if necessary CPO''d depending on who owns the land underneath but i suspect it is the football club anyway) if necessary for an expansion to the City Stand.

Purple Canary wrote:

[/quote]

Agreed Easton and i don;t know why people are making such a song and dance about needing tens of millions of pounds to add an extra tier to the City stand. You might need ten million but certainly not tens of millions. I would think that a competent architect/engineer could find a way of adding a second tier with a minimum of disruption and for not too ridiculous a cost.

We certainly donlt need a whole new stadium!

Purple Canary wrote:

[/quote]

Can we just "kill the myth" that the Club owns the land behind the City Stand, Carrow Road? It simply doesn''t show up on HM Land Registry Title Search as doing so and is almost certainly still part of the Public Highway 

[quote user="GMF"]

Can we just "kill the myth" that the Club owns the land behind the City Stand, Carrow Road? It simply doesn''t show up on HM Land Registry Title Search as doing so and is almost certainly still part of the Public Highway 

[/quote]

I have already said this either on this thread or the other long running thread on exactly the same subject "22,000" and nobody picked up on it.

In all honesty I wouldn''t mind a new modern stadium with a bigger capacity, realistically it won''t happen.But tbf I''m still happy at Carrow Road, the atmosphere is amazing and I wouldn''t want our club to be in massive debt.

[quote user="lappinitup"]And how are you suggesting this affects the football club Tom?[/quote]

250 new homes right next to CR would mean fewer parking spaces and more congestion around CR.Some people have mentioned the showground as a possible site for a new stadium, and now it seems the RNAA are willing to lease land for a new stadium on the site.

[quote user="ImDrunky"]In all honesty I wouldn''t mind a new modern stadium with a bigger capacity, realistically it won''t happen.But tbf I''m still happy at Carrow Road, the atmosphere is amazing and I wouldn''t want our club to be in massive debt.[/quote]I wouldn''t want the club to be in massive debt either.

It seems that the showground owners are now willing to lease land for a

new stadium, which means the cost of a new stadium would be greatly

reduced (as the land wouldn''t need to be purchased).

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="lappinitup"]And how are you suggesting this affects the football club Tom?
[/quote]

250 new homes right next to CR would mean fewer parking spaces and more congestion around CR.

Some people have mentioned the showground as a possible site for a new stadium, and now it seems the RNAA are willing to lease land for a new stadium on the site.
[/quote]

Name another Premiership club that has a car park as part of its stadium site.It is a luxury at Norwich City in my view and when housing is put on this "car free" development as it is described on the application it will have virtually no impact on a match day.

Building a speedway track and facilities for say 5 to 8 thousand fans is hardly the same as building a 40,000 seater stadium now is it and if Councillor East gets stuck in with his objections even the speedway plan will be a very bumpy ride if his past exploits are anything to go by.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="lappinitup"]And how are you suggesting this affects the football club Tom?[/quote]250 new homes right next to CR would mean fewer parking spaces and more congestion around CR.Some people have mentioned the showground as a possible site for a new stadium, and now it seems the RNAA are willing to lease land for a new stadium on the site.[/quote]

Name another Premiership club that has a car park as part of its stadium site.It is a luxury at Norwich City in my view and when housing is put on this "car free" development as it is described on the application it will have virtually no impact on a match day.

Building a speedway track and facilities for say 5 to 8 thousand fans is hardly the same as building a 40,000 seater stadium now is it and if Councillor East gets stuck in with his objections even the speedway plan will be a very bumpy ride if his past exploits are anything to go by.

[/quote]When housing is built at CR where fans normally park then it will obviously have a negative impact on congestion on a matchday. If NC increase the stadium capacity then things will be worse again.However, if NCFC wanted a new stadium (such as at the Showground where they seem willing to lease land for a new stadium) then I doubt that local councillors would speak out against it because they could lose a lot of votes if they did. The Tories are not worth the time of day anyway...I think Ikea would be interested in purchasing CR stadium (and what''s left of the land that the club owns). Those living in the modern flats next to the site are amongst their target customers.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="lappinitup"]And how are you suggesting this affects the football club Tom?[/quote]250 new homes right next to CR would mean fewer parking spaces and more congestion around CR.Some people have mentioned the showground as a possible site for a new stadium, and now it seems the RNAA are willing to lease land for a new stadium on the site.[/quote]

[/quote]When housing is built at CR where fans normally park then it will obviously have a negative impact on congestion on a matchday. If NC increase the stadium capacity then things will be worse again.However, if NCFC wanted a new stadium (such as at the Showground where they seem willing to lease land for a new stadium) then I doubt that local councillors would speak out against it because they could lose a lot of votes if they did. The Tories are not worth the time of day anyway...I think Ikea would be interested in purchasing CR stadium (and what''s left of the land that the club owns). Those living in the modern flats next to the site are amongst their target customers.[/quote]

1. The owners of the showground will want a fairly substantial rent I would think.

2. We would still have to fund the building of the stadium or are the Council going to do it for free?

3. Playing out at the showground would be sh*t. A truly dreadful matchday experience. have you ever been to the Reebok or the Madjeski? Awful, edge of town grounds with no pubs nearby. Dreadful experience. I really don''t get why you are so keen for us to move from a site most clubs would die for. All we need to do is stay up another year and then fund a modest increase to the capacity of the City Stand. We do not need a new stadium.

Not to mention the traffic carnage it would cause (as basically everyone would travel by car and bus) and the distance from the station or are the Club going to pay £x million to re-open the old railway line out and build a new station at the showground?

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[/quote]When housing is built at CR where fans normally park then it will obviously have a negative impact on congestion on a matchday. If NC increase the stadium capacity then things will be worse again.However, if NCFC wanted a new stadium (such as at the Showground where they seem willing to lease land for a new stadium) then I doubt that local councillors would speak out against it because they could lose a lot of votes if they did. The Tories are not worth the time of day anyway...I think Ikea would be interested in purchasing CR stadium (and what''s left of the land that the club owns). Those living in the modern flats next to the site are amongst their target customers.[/quote]

1. The owners of the showground will want a fairly substantial rent I would think.

2. We would still have to fund the building of the stadium or are the Council going to do it for free?

3. Playing out at the showground would be sh*t. A truly dreadful matchday experience. have you ever been to the Reebok or the Madjeski? Awful, edge of town grounds with no pubs nearby. Dreadful experience. I really don''t get why you are so keen for us to move from a site most clubs would die for. All we need to do is stay up another year and then fund a modest increase to the capacity of the City Stand. We do not need a new stadium.

[/quote]
Jim, i have a feeling Tom did a GCSE project on Norwich and potential new stadiums and just hasn''t been able to move on since. I can''t believe people are still even debating this.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]New stadium plans at the Showground:http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/speedway_could_make_shock_return_to_norwich_at_norfolk_showground_1_1455346250 new  homes to be built next to the CR stadium:http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/plan_for_250_homes_near_norwich_city_s_stadium_could_see_bus_route_diverted_1_1418347

[/quote]FFS when will you give it a rest?There will be NO new stadium, it''s not going to happen, we will be at CR for the foreseeable future.Find another bone to play with.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Not to mention the traffic carnage it would cause (as basically everyone would travel by car and bus) and the distance from the station or are the Club going to pay £x million to re-open the old railway line out and build a new station at the showground?[/quote]100,000+ people visit the Norfolk show (spread over 2 days) at the Showground so it should be able to cope with 35,000 - 40,000 for a football match. There would be a massive number of parking spaces.

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Not to mention the traffic carnage it would cause (as basically everyone would travel by car and bus) and the distance from the station or are the Club going to pay £x million to re-open the old railway line out and build a new station at the showground?[/quote]

100,000+ people visit the Norfolk show (spread over 2 days) at the Showground so it should be able to cope with 35,000 - 40,000 for a football match. There would be a massive number of parking spaces.
[/quote]

Yes indeed acres of muddy fields in the middle of winter so will 4x4s be on hand to tow you out at the end of the games ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Not to mention the traffic carnage it would cause (as basically everyone would travel by car and bus) and the distance from the station or are the Club going to pay £x million to re-open the old railway line out and build a new station at the showground?[/quote]100,000+ people visit the Norfolk show (spread over 2 days) at the Showground so it should be able to cope with 35,000 - 40,000 for a football match. There would be a massive number of parking spaces.[/quote]

Yes indeed acres of muddy fields in the middle of winter so will 4x4s be on hand to tow you out at the end of the games ?

[/quote]There is a 1,100 space park and ride car park on the site which isn''t used on the weekends and evenings so it would make sense to use that. So... A) The showground owners seem willing to lease land for a new stadium (meaning huge savings on the cost of a new stadium)B) There is a park and ride car park next to the site with 1,100 spaces and it is normally closed when there would be a football match being played. It should be easy to extend the hours for when games are being played.C) There is a direct bus service to and from the site every 20mins that stops at the UEA and city centre. It should be easy to extend the hours for when games are being played.D) NC could lease teaching space at the stadium to the UEA (and the site already has a regular bus service to and from the UEA).E) There would be lower running costs at a new stadium than CR.F) NC say it would cost £20m just for a new stand at CR.