Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Norwich make bid for Snodgrass

I actually do feel for some of the Leeds fans. Football is an up and down business for most clubs and I''m sure we can all sympathise with comments like the following one from the Leeds forum:

"It also seems our team is getting promoted by just joining Norwich....wonder if they will start bidding on fans soon considering some of us already want to leave?"

If we want Davies and Snodgrass (which we obviously do in my opinion) I just wish we would get on with it. Warnock''s comments make it clear that if we up our bid then they are resigned to him leaving so we should be doing all we can to get this done asap before others jump in. I hope that is what we are doing. I never really understand why it takes clubs so long to "prepare a bid" for players. Ok if you are paying out £30m for a player then maybe it does but surely we know if we can afford to up our bid to £2.5m or whatever it might take to do the deal here.

"You mean like how we let our best manager for a decade walk out on us for nothing?!"

damn, I must have missed that statement from the club

could you point me (and others, I suspect) towards a link to that statement

Lets see what the legal teams and tribunals say about that before jumping to conclusions. The bottom line is that whether you are Premiership/Championship or Auto Wind shields Division 9 if a player/manager wants to leave their is often very little you can do. If Norwich don''t get any compensation it will be because they were that desperate to keep him that they allegedly broke the terms of the contract.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Warnock just been on Talksport, sounding resigned to Snodgrass going and says that his head has been turned. A few teams are interested in him though, i just hope we get in there first before a bidding war commences. Need Drury to put in a good word....
[/quote]

I would think two others have already done that !

"if we up our bid then they are resigned to him leaving so we should be doing all we can to get this done asap before others jump in"

up it to what ?

whatever Leeds ask for ?

This has been going on for somewhile, if others were interested/involved they would have had plenty of time so i doubt anything at this late stage will happen.

Sometimes bids are time limited ie we will offer £Xm, you have x number of days etc. i suggest you stop panicking. If anyone knows what he is doing it is McNally.

The one thing we don''t want is to have a Sheepshanks type halfwit dealing with things "I say chappie, could you fill in this contract thingy .. fill in the amount you need etc" Or the hapless Clegg who admitted he hadn''t he hadn''t a clue about football transfers more than a year after being in the job and has seen a string of players walk out for nothing and others signed who were clealr not up to hit and had to be shown the door as soon as possible.

I would be more concerned that up to now Chris Hughton doesn''t appear to have signed/be signing anyone that we were not already in negotiations with before he joined us.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Warnock just been on Talksport, sounding resigned to Snodgrass going and says that his head has been turned. A few teams are interested in him though, i just hope we get in there first before a bidding war commences. Need Drury to put in a good word....
[/quote]

I would think two others have already done that !

[/quote]

There''s no doubt in my mind that we can get Snodgrass as two of his mates are here. It''s a big advantage we have, just as Newcastle got Cisse because of Ba already being there.

[quote user="City1st"]

"if we up our bid then they are resigned to him leaving so we should be doing all we can to get this done asap before others jump in"

up it to what ?

whatever Leeds ask for ?

This has been going on for somewhile, if others were interested/involved they would have had plenty of time so i doubt anything at this late stage will happen.

Sometimes bids are time limited ie we will offer £Xm, you have x number of days etc. i suggest you stop panicking. If anyone knows what he is doing it is McNally.

The one thing we don''t want is to have a Sheepshanks type halfwit dealing with things "I say chappie, could you fill in this contract thingy .. fill in the amount you need etc" Or the hapless Clegg who admitted he hadn''t he hadn''t a clue about football transfers more than a year after being in the job and has seen a string of players walk out for nothing and others signed who were clealr not up to hit and had to be shown the door as soon as possible.

I would be more concerned that up to now Chris Hughton doesn''t appear to have signed/be signing anyone that we were not already in negotiations with before he joined us.

[/quote]

Im not too concerned about signing players we were already linked with to be honest as the players we were being linked with are good players and Lambert has a good record with player signings. It also makes sense to a degree as Chester will have been scoutiong cheap players for the championship for the last year so is unlikely to have a ready made premiership standard list.

As for the bid of course i''m not suggesting that we simply up the bid to whatever they demand but we must know what sort of level we are prepared to go up to and what sort of level will start to seriously tempt them to sell. I guess i''m just worried that if we hesitate for too long the likes of West Am or someone will come in with a £40K a week offer. That said the absence of other clubs being linked with him at present is encouraging so maybe he has already agreed behind the scenes to join us.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

While Purple Canary forgets the fact that a club with our resources and "gates" shouldn''t be getting relegated to the third tier of football for the first time in fifty years.

Back to bidding for Snodgrass............

[/quote]

Big stadiums,resources and "gates" did not stop the likes of Man City,Wolves and Sheff Wed to name but three getting relegated to the third tier of football now did it Tangible but then again it does not fit in your agenda now does it ?

" and what sort of level will start to seriously tempt them to sell"

most often it is not up to them if he goes

players usually have a release clause whereby if a bid of a certain amount comes in they can leave (as with Earnshaw)

Leeds know he can ''walk'' come next summer and there are not too many Premier League clubs willing to buy Championship players so it is a matter of how low they will go, and that''s where the bluff, hard dealing, not blinking first etc comes in .................... and maybe, why it''s taking a bit of time

something we have, they don''t

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I think the Davies deal will be done quite soon. I think Snodgrass will stay at Leeds and sign a new deal.[/quote]

I doubt it. He will either be ours or go to another Premier club. He has refused to sign an improved contract so I can''t see him starting the season at Elland Rd. Read Warnocks press statement, it''s a classic bit of ground laying for the inevitable outcome.

"I think the Davies deal will be done quite soon. I think Snodgrass will stay at Leeds and sign a new deal."

Warnock said in his talksport interview that Snodgarass has had his head turned, It''s just a case of someone making an acceptable offer now.

www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/football-league/championship/120718/exclusive-warnock-assured-he-will-remain-leeds-boss-176864

Couldn''t agree more with Ricardo. What I saw there was the kind of statement that I have seen from Norwich down the years when Premiership clubs have picked off the likes of Newsome, Bellamy, Eadie, Ward etc. Leeds had the potential to really kick on like we have after promotion from League 1. They choose to consolidate/stagnate. They have paid the penalty by losing their best players.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I think the Davies deal will be done quite soon. I think Snodgrass will stay at Leeds and sign a new deal.[/quote]

I doubt it. He will either be ours or go to another Premier club. He has refused to sign an improved contract so I can''t see him starting the season at Elland Rd. Read Warnocks press statement, it''s a classic bit of ground laying for the inevitable outcome.

[/quote]

Agreed. Snodgrass has the chance of Prem football with his mates so he will not sign a new contract, and the Leeds owner will not let him run out his contract. He''ll be ours soon....  

He certainly wont be a Leeds player at the end of this window. It wouldn''t surprise me if Leeds or Snodgrass''s agent have potentially leaked news of this bid to flush out any other potential suitors in the hope they might gazump us with a higher bid. Leeds will quite rightly from their perspective want to squeeze every penny from this deal given that he is their best player.

Lets hope we move quickly... if we really want ot pursue then lets move quickly.I am sure we are going back to Leeds, I expect other teams to follow but I believe that the pull from former team mates is stronger than anything else.I really hope we can move on this ASAP and bring in a very talented player.

What''s the rush/panic ?

Other clubs will be well aware of the situation and will have been since way, way back. That''s one reason why there are agents. his agent (and others I''ve no doubt) will have been touting his name about on an almost daily basis.

If another club is going to move in, they will, irrespective any supposed haste - remember us nicking Ryan Bennett from Swansea. He was in the car going down there when we grabbed him.

The deal with Snodgrass has been ongoing for nearly a year now, a few days here or there won''t matter that much. More so if it means McNally is holding out for an even tighter deal. Squeeze the ferret racing, lard munching, northern monkeys for as much as you can.

If anything time is on our side.We know how to buy players from Leeds. McNasty probably has all the appropriate people on speed dial & we are all well aquianted enough to use first names. That will save us a few seconds  on the phone compared to our rivals.

the longer it goes on the more likely another team can do what we did to Swansea.Lets just hope he is in a yellow and green shirt before too long

More rumours of this deal being imminent tonight judging by some of the other threads.

This would be an excellent deal - one of the best Championship Players and a "good age".

Add Davies too and we are putting together an exciting young squad. Only Holt & Wes having hit 30.

Snodgrass would be a great signing in my opinion, would love to see him and holt in same team, but arent leeds going through an imminent take over?surely nothing will be done before thats sorted, and id doubt new owners will want to start by selling their star player, unless ken wants to line his pockets before he leaves,.................i hope we get him but im not overly confident, and do feel sorry for the majority of leeds fans who are pretty good natured and fun, its just a few loudmouths that give them a bad name really

He`s apparently made it clear he wants to leave so i can`t see a takeover being an issue.  Would be a brilliant signing imo- quite possibly the best player in the Championship.

He''s clearly leaving and the bid was clearly purposefully ''leaked'' by Leeds United to start a bidding war. The statement was issued extremely quickly after the media reported a bid with the statement itself virtually reading as a resignation letter with the message ''come and bid''.

Lambert was on record telling that he had given the Norwich board his transfer targets for the summer. Hence, the NCFC board would know if Villa are seriously interested or not.

I firmly believe at some point in the next two weeks a deal in the 2-3mill bracket will be sealed and Snodgrass will become the latest player to change Yorkshire for Norfolk.

See statement made on Football rumours last night 

18 Jul 2012 09:29:32Norwich have a bid accepted by Leeds for Robert snodgrass believed to be £4m + add ons also Andrew crofts will go to Leeds.

Let''s hope this is true as I think it would be a win win for everybody involved.

Think Crofts would be good for them.

4m and Crofts seems a bit steep to me, especially as he''s only got a year to run on his contract.If it was 2-3 mil and Crofts then fair enough, but 4 is quite high.I just hope we don''t let ourselves get held to ransom over this one, but he''s certainly a player I rate and if this is what''s needed then maybe...

[quote user="Oz Canary"]

See statement made on Football rumours last night 

18 Jul 2012 09:29:32Norwich have a bid accepted by Leeds for Robert snodgrass believed to be £4m + add ons also Andrew crofts will go to Leeds.

Let''s hope this is true as I think it would be a win win for everybody involved.

Think Crofts would be good for them.

[/quote]

Don''t believe anything on there. Just wishful thinking.

Yorkshire Evening''s Post''s football writer...

In today''s YEP, Norwich have made another bid for Robert

Snodgrass. Offer arrived yesterday and is still under consideration

The still under consideration bit sounds promising, but we need them to decide quickly so a) We can look for other targets if they reject b) Another club doesn''t come in with a better offer!