Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Norwich make bid for Snodgrass

To be honest I doubt we will get him after all this, but its good to see we are bidding for players

[quote user="Wiz"]

This thread was about us bidding for Snoddy..........now its morphed into a lesson on accounting/wiz bashing.......jeez!

Only on here peeps..only on here.[:S]

[/quote]

You don''t think there might be a teeny connection between how much debt we have to repay in the current financial year and how much we have to spend on new players...[:D]

[quote user="Victor Segura and the Yellow Cards"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"][quote user="Victor Segura and the Yellow Cards"]

Where does Bowkett say that we were close to administration? The article says it but it isn''t attributed to Bowkett unless I''m misreading the piece.

[/quote]

Are you Duncan Edwards in disguise?

[/quote]

You''ve rather lost me there I''m afraid?

I was pointing out that the article put up doesn''t contain any reference to administration by Bowkett. There seems to be two very different trains of thought on this, some people saying it''s common knowledge that we were on the brink, others saying it was never likely to happen. Any thoughts on this?

[/quote]
Can confirm 100% it''s common knowledge now

[quote user="Hog"]To be honest I doubt we will get him after all this, but its good to see we are bidding for players[/quote]

Am I in a minority of one that would rather I didn''t hear about us bidding on players?  I would rather it was kept behind closed doors and just announced that we have bought someone after it has happened.     Too much public "information" is a bad thing - generally because the information is usually innacurate, incomplete or just wrong.   

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

While Purple Canary forgets the fact that a club with our resources and "gates" shouldn''t be getting relegated to the third tier of football for the first time in fifty years.

[/quote]

Probably not the best idea to try to guess what I forget and what I remember. As to your point, as I explained in a long post a few months ago  the surprise was not that we ended up in the third tier, but that we avoided that fate for so long. As shown by this list (which leaves out a few examples) of 24 similar-sized and bigger clubs who dropped down that far before we did:

Villa, Man City, Stoke, Fulham, Blackpool, Bolton, Blackburn, WBA, Birmingham, Wolves, QPR, Forest, Leeds, Cardiff, Leicester, Burnley, Derby, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Sheffield Utd, Southampton, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Preston.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Hog"]To be honest I doubt we will get him after all this, but its good to see we are bidding for players[/quote]

Am I in a minority of one that would rather I didn''t hear about us bidding on players?  I would rather it was kept behind closed doors and just announced that we have bought someone after it has happened.     Too much public "information" is a bad thing - generally because the information is usually innacurate, incomplete or just wrong.   

[/quote]
I actually thought the same thing LDC- while it''s good for talking about on here it obviously makes other clubs aware of the situation leading to a potential hijack of the deal. I would suggest Leeds went public with out bid in the hope of starting a bidding war - plenty of clubs have been linked with Snodgrass over the last year or two.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

While Purple Canary forgets the fact that a club with our resources and "gates" shouldn''t be getting relegated to the third tier of football for the first time in fifty years.

[/quote]

Probably not the best idea to try to guess what I forget and what I remember. As to your point, as I explained in a long post a few months ago  the surprise was not that we ended up in the third tier, but that we avoided that fate for so long. As shown by this list (which leaves out a few examples) of 24 similar-sized and bigger clubs who dropped down that far before we did:

Villa, Man City, Stoke, Fulham, Blackpool, Bolton, Blackburn, WBA, Birmingham, Wolves, QPR, Forest, Leeds, Cardiff, Leicester, Burnley, Derby, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Sheffield Utd, Southampton, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and Preston.

[/quote]

Purple, I think it''s cruel of you to add Preston at the very end of the list given that you were responding to Tangie. It''s like salt in his wound. Either put them at the head of the class ( so Tangie can strut with pride ) or leave them off altogether, which would more appropriately allow Tangie to continue to operate with his head up his bottom when choosing clubs he views favourably compared to Norwich City.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

It is behind closed doors though, isn''t it LDC?

For the most part, how many rumours are actually correct? I don''t remember too many substantial rumours about many of the players we signed last season. But can remember quite a lot about players we didn''t. I remember in a Canary Preview one season, think it might have been last time we were in the Prem, there was a starting X1 and possibly subs of players we were linked to, you can do that every season pretty much.

I do agree with your point though, and its why club managers/directors etc don''t come out and say who they are bidding on, they sometimes have to comment on rumours, but even if its a player they end up signing, they don''t often come out and say they are trying to. Headlines and rumours are very misleading.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Purple, I think it''s cruel of you to add Preston at the very end of the list given that you were responding to Tangie. It''s like salt in his wound. Either put them at the head of the class ( so Tangie can strut with pride ) or leave them off altogether, which would more appropriately allow Tangie to continue to operate with his head up his bottom when choosing clubs he views favourably compared to Norwich City.

[/quote]

Yankee, you are portraying me as some kind of malign[6] Machiavelli.[H] When I drew up that list months ago Preston just happened to come at the end. Some club had to be last, after all.[;)][;)][;)]

Purple, I think you are being a bit slow here. Surely you have grasped by now:

Sky does not exist

We did not have a CEO or Chairman before the current incumbents

We never made the play-offs or got promoted under previous incumbents 

Delia was actually previously chairman, CEO, maanger and playing for the team

Bowkett and McNally turned up univited out of nowhere

Loans secured on land can be freely used to purchase players

92 clubs have not gone into administration

Rangers, Portmouth, Leeds et al never happened

Everyone makes loads of money out of owning a football club and is desperate to fund other people''s entertainment

NCFC are the only football club in existence and there is no competition between clubs

Preston not only has much lower costs but much higher revenue than NCFC....

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Purple, I think it''s cruel of you to add Preston at the very end of the list given that you were responding to Tangie. It''s like salt in his wound. Either put them at the head of the class ( so Tangie can strut with pride ) or leave them off altogether, which would more appropriately allow Tangie to continue to operate with his head up his bottom when choosing clubs he views favourably compared to Norwich City.[/quote]

Poor Tangy. He was only trying to explain how much better run Preston were than us and why they were more successful.....

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]Why dont YOU explain away the other £6.5m - £8m, difference between the Preston NE cost base and the NCFC cost base while Preston finish above us yet again![/quote]

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1622726/ShowPost.aspx

Of course, Tangy hadn''t included the cost of the Joe Lewis Diner in those figures......

WARNING! Uncontrolable laughter can sometimes prove fatal.

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/1566145/ShowPost.aspx

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Salopian"]

This seems to me unlikely on reflection, as we have just bought Butterfield, and we now have Wes, Surs, Pilks, Bennett, Johnson, Crofts, Howson, Fox,  Butterfield, Adeyemi, Korey, plus possibly Whittaker.

1) We have 11 above, plus possibly Martin C, - enough to man three four-man midfields, and nearly half the squad. Even if  CH dispenses with the services of one or two after his evaluation, how many do we need? There are other areas of the squad where we are short - only three/four strikers plus Martin, two RBs and one LB.

2) Would it be a good investment? Even if the player has only one more year on his contract, we are looking to pay £4m.

3) He is a good player, but is described as a winger without much pace. He is 24 but can he be developed further? Is it a risk to sign him uising a large part of our budget, or is this an attempt to buy survival?

[/quote]
1- Crofts, Lappin, Adeyami, Smith and maybe even Wes (perhaps an exchange + cash offer here?) are unlikely to be here this coming season- leaving us with, Butterfield, Pilky, Surman, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Fox - that is a very strong midfield and with Snodgrass could well be one of the best midfields we have ever had (sorry some of you old boys may disagree)
2 - great investment yes- we would get him cheap - only a year left on his contract and at 24 his value is only ever going to increase.
3 - not much pace you are right, but wont take a huge chunk of the budget (around 2-3M same as Howson) but he would greatly imporve our first 11- he is thought to be better than Howson up in Leeds and from watching Leeds he always appeared the better player - if you guys love Howson you are going to love Snodgrass
[/quote]It''s amazing how many people are writing off and wanting to sell Hoolahan, a player who featured a lot last season and contributed just as much as most to our brilliant season, and last 3 seasons for that matter. People cry when players aren''t loyal and yet they seem almost desperate for the club to sell a quality player who has stuck with the club at its lowest ebb.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Salopian"]

This seems to me unlikely on reflection, as we have just bought Butterfield, and we now have Wes, Surs, Pilks, Bennett, Johnson, Crofts, Howson, Fox,  Butterfield, Adeyemi, Korey, plus possibly Whittaker.

1) We have 11 above, plus possibly Martin C, - enough to man three four-man midfields, and nearly half the squad. Even if  CH dispenses with the services of one or two after his evaluation, how many do we need? There are other areas of the squad where we are short - only three/four strikers plus Martin, two RBs and one LB.

2) Would it be a good investment? Even if the player has only one more year on his contract, we are looking to pay £4m.

3) He is a good player, but is described as a winger without much pace. He is 24 but can he be developed further? Is it a risk to sign him uising a large part of our budget, or is this an attempt to buy survival?

[/quote]
1- Crofts, Lappin, Adeyami, Smith and maybe even Wes (perhaps an exchange + cash offer here?) are unlikely to be here this coming season- leaving us with, Butterfield, Pilky, Surman, Bennett, Johnson, Howson, Fox - that is a very strong midfield and with Snodgrass could well be one of the best midfields we have ever had (sorry some of you old boys may disagree)
2 - great investment yes- we would get him cheap - only a year left on his contract and at 24 his value is only ever going to increase.
3 - not much pace you are right, but wont take a huge chunk of the budget (around 2-3M same as Howson) but he would greatly imporve our first 11- he is thought to be better than Howson up in Leeds and from watching Leeds he always appeared the better player - if you guys love Howson you are going to love Snodgrass
[/quote]It''s amazing how many people are writing off and wanting to sell Hoolahan, a player who featured a lot last season and contributed just as much as most to our brilliant season, and last 3 seasons for that matter. People cry when players aren''t loyal and yet they seem almost desperate for the club to sell a quality player who has stuck with the club at its lowest ebb.[/quote]
With the club refusing to extend his contract, i would much rather get some money now than lose him for peanuts next summer or nothing the summer after. He has done well during his time yeah and stuck with us when we got relegated, but he didn''t feature too much last year and i am guessing he wont feature too much under Hughton (that''s a guess based on hughton''s use of wingers) - i would much rather get some cash for him or use him as a part exchange

"In City 1st''s attempt to humiliate and discredit me "(wiz)

You are more than capable of doing that yourself with any assistance from me

Sorry.  Have I slipped into a parallel universe?   When was it decided that the Club will not renew Wes'' contract?   Are you relying on that idiotic post about Wes not buying a house?

[quote user="T"]

Purple, I think you are being a bit slow here. Surely you have grasped by now:

Sky does not exist

We did not have a CEO or Chairman before the current incumbents

We never made the play-offs or got promoted under previous incumbents 

Delia was actually previously chairman, CEO, maanger and playing for the team

Bowkett and McNally turned up univited out of nowhere

Loans secured on land can be freely used to purchase players

92 clubs have not gone into administration

Rangers, Portmouth, Leeds et al never happened

Everyone makes loads of money out of owning a football club and is desperate to fund other people''s entertainment

NCFC are the only football club in existence and there is no competition between clubs

Preston not only has much lower costs but much higher revenue than NCFC....

[/quote]

Touché! There is actually a near-genius variation on the above, from the extreme (ie not of this galaxy) wing of the Delia Gets The Credit For Nothing And The Blame For Everything Party. Which is that Bowkett did indeed turn up uninvited out of nowhere, but that he brought McNally with him.

This despite various inconvenient facts, such as Delia being friends with Roy Hodgson (witness the recent Norwegian lunch) and Hodgson having worked with McNally at Fulham, while Bowkett had had nothing to do with the workings of professional football and almost certainly did not know McNally from Adam. But most of all despite the tediously inconvenient fact that McNally had been slaving away as CEO at Carrow Road for three full weeks before Bowkett became chairman.

Purple. To me you seem to not only take a great interest in the internal workings of our club but give the impression that what you purport is absolutely correct.

One day, if you discover the true reason Mr Bowkett became chairman, no doubt you will it share it with us all.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Purple. To me you seem to not only take a great interest in the internal workings of our club but give the impression that what you purport is absolutely correct. One day, if you discover the true reason Mr Bowkett became chairman, no doubt you will it share it with us all.[/quote]

I was actually posting about how McNally turned up. I can''t remember if I''ve ever said specifically how and why I thought Bowkett became chairman, so I wouldn''t have thought it was entirely clear there was a real reason for me to discover.

I hope if we are bidding we pursue.Obviously highlighted as not only having the skill we need but also the character. A great investment and again fearless to the premier league.We''ll see. But I would very much hope we could bring in Snodgrass, he would be an upgrade now and for the future bringing us more money in the future.

Leeds official site:

''Neil Warnock has reiterated his desire to see club captain Robert Snodgrass remain a Leeds United player, despite confirmed interest from the Premier League.

Media reports on Monday claimed Norwich City had made a bid for the

player, and the United manager confirmed an offer had been made for the

Scottish international.

"It''s been made public that they have bid, but from our own point of view it''s not what we''re looking for," he said.

"We''d like to keep Rob, and Rob knows that. Whether that will be possible we''ll have to wait and see.

"It''s difficult when players

get their heads turned, but I''d like to keep Rob at the club and that''s

what I''m trying to do at the moment. Unless they come up with a

valuation that the club thinks is satisfactory then that''s what we want

to do."

The United boss stated towards the end of last season that he wanted

the Scot to remain at Leeds for "for one more year" or "at least until

Christmas" after the offer of what he described as "a fantastic"

contract. Robert was also made club captain in February, following the

arrival of the new manager.''

Listening to Simon Thomas before they went on a commercial he said that Leeds have turned down a transfer request from snodgrass...

[quote user="Excited Canary"]

Leeds official site:

''Neil Warnock has reiterated his desire to see club captain Robert Snodgrass remain a Leeds United player, despite confirmed interest from the Premier League.

Media reports on Monday claimed Norwich City had made a bid for the

player, and the United manager confirmed an offer had been made for the

Scottish international.

"It''s been made public that they have bid, but from our own point of view it''s not what we''re looking for," he said.

"We''d like to keep Rob, and Rob knows that. Whether that will be possible we''ll have to wait and see.

"It''s difficult when players

get their heads turned, but I''d like to keep Rob at the club and that''s

what I''m trying to do at the moment. Unless they come up with a

valuation that the club thinks is satisfactory then that''s what we want

to do."

The United boss stated towards the end of last season that he wanted

the Scot to remain at Leeds for "for one more year" or "at least until

Christmas" after the offer of what he described as "a fantastic"

contract. Robert was also made club captain in February, following the

arrival of the new manager.''

[/quote]I suppose if that Bahrain crowd are coming into Leeds then they can afford to bite their nose off to spite their face with regards to Snodgrass and let his contract run out.

We do seem to be collecting a fair number of captains from other clubs (presume it is us that made the bid)

will certainly give us the kind of determination and commitment we need

I saw that, it was breaking news, then after the break when they did the today''s transfer news bit they didn''t mention any thing.