Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

Everton in for Holt

Mmmmmm, a site that has a buxom wench drinking beer on the front page and a heading for Wags before the Premier League???

Trustworthy journalism of the Sun calibre (or less) methinks.

Hey - leave off the buxom wench!!!

Check out the South American "wag" who is meant to be romantically linked with ......Oezil of Germany. Just goes to show that if you''re born f*** ugly, you better start being good at football - then you''ll have your pick regardless of your hideous looks.   I mean Oezil looks like a cross between Igor from a 1930''s Frankenstein movie and someone who''s just caught their nads in an industrial trouser press.

The ladies on here correct me if I''m wrong but would any of you approach this gentleman in a pub/club?  I think the answer is no.

A bit like the Lambert situation here, it''s about time the club and the player sorted this rubbish out!

Simple really Hughton wants Holt to stay, Holt wants to stay and MacNally needs to agree a package with Holts agent!

If Holt wants away then fine cash in a let him go, no point on losing out on money for a player who will disrupt an important season for Norwich.

But one way or another please sort this out this week, stay or go but be done with this week before all the players return, also fed up with reading and seeing us linked to Lambert, he''s moved on and I hope he and Villa have a poor season and get relegated.

[quote user="Indy"]

A bit like the Lambert situation here, it''s about time the club and the player sorted this rubbish out!

Simple really Hughton wants Holt to stay, Holt wants to stay and MacNally needs to agree a package with Holts agent!

If Holt wants away then fine cash in a let him go, no point on losing out on money for a player who will disrupt an important season for Norwich.

But one way or another please sort this out this week, stay or go but be done with this week before all the players return, also fed up with reading and seeing us linked to Lambert, he''s moved on and I hope he and Villa have a poor season and get relegated.

[/quote]

I''ll second that, Indy. I''d love GH to stay, but only with the proviso that he''s 100% committed to NCFC , as so much of his game is about effort and committment, that if he''s not giving his all, he''ll not be a great deal of use, frankly. If that were to be the case, then any bid of 4m plus should be accepted and he should be on his way.  I''m puzzled that a club with the reputation of being frugal spenders like Everton  are seriously considering 6m for Holt.

But, yes, this whole sorry mess has dragged on for too long, and as we get into the second half of June, it''s time it was sorted out one way or the other.

I can''t see Everton paying that, having splashed the cash on Jelavic.  Unless they are desperately trying to keep Moyes and he wants Holt and Jelavic up front as a partnership next season.

The other possibility is that Jelavic is off for something like £15m and they see Holt at £6m as a good value replacement?

If Holt is made to stay if picked he willperform as he needs to be in the shop window.Ig he gets us 10 to 15 goals next season and helps to keep us up it woll dwaf any transfer fee we may get

[quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

I keep seeing people writing this, but his agent said that around the time of Drury''s testimonial the club agreed to Holt''s request but by that time the "damage had been done".

The trouble is, we''re all talking out of our backsides because we don''t know the true situation owing to the meagre droppings we are being given or can find out about.    The situation will resolve and we have to be patient.  No footballer is a permanent fixture at a football club (with very few exceptions) and if he is still here next season - even if we don''t know any more - we can be sure GH will give  his best - as he always has.

[quote user="lake district canary"]) and if he is still here next season - even if we don''t know any more - we can be sure GH will give  his best - as he always has.

[/quote]

Hmmm. Would that were true, LDC, but history is littered with examples of players who were made to see out their contracts at clubs, where they do not wish to be, and they have NOT performed to their best. Then they have been offloaded at a later date for a good deal less money.

I''m not saying that necessarily applies to GH, but I''m sure we all are agreed that a good deal of GH''s game is down to big heart, tons of effort, wholehearted committment etc. If that was in any way compromised, he would be far less effective for us . Would this be what people are referring to when they say "the damage is done"? That''s why when people say the 15 goals he''d get for us next season are more valuable than any transfer money are rather missing the point. If he were to get 15 goals then that''d be true, but I''m afraid I''m not convinced that a dissatisfied GH would get those 15 goals.

Mr Pickles: From what has been said, Holt had been unhappy with the Club for a couple of months in the lead-up to the end of the season. I didn''t see any drop in his commitment to the game during that period. I agree with what you are saying generally, but I suspect Holt may be the exception. Whatever, we will see, I guess.

If Holt wanted a move his form would not drop as he was in the shop window! Synic in me :-)

Anyway LDC you are right we are getting dribs and drabs but that''s what makes it worse for the enitre club! The players will be in contact with Holt getting his point over. Now surely that can''t be good for any players hearing that from Holt, surely it''s best for everyone to have this dealt with quickly not dragged on for 6 weeks.

To be honest Holt is a true pro and would give 100% if was turning out for a pub side so I certianly don''t think he would be any different next season if he is still here, but lets get this to bed!

I think the thing is with Holt, he can''t afford to sit and sulk for a season. Tevez is only 28 and has got quite a bit more talent than Holt, so he can go awol for half a season, knowing full well that he''ll get a pay cheque somewhere else if Man City no longer want him.

Holt on the other hand is 31, has only had one season in the premiership, before which he was predominantly not even in the championship but in the bottom two leagues. If he sulks, he''ll be 32 by the end of next season, still with only one decent top flight season behind him and now with a lot of bad press (regardless of whether that''s his ''fault'' or not), and he will probably have been dropped to the reserves and so will have gone a long period of time without first team football sharpness.

Who''s going to give him the extra year on the contract, or a higher wage then? Not very many clubs you wouldn''t have thought. OK he may get his move away, but for significantly less than if he continued to perform.

If a 6 million offer came in, I would be tempted to take it if he does want to leave. However, 6 million is about the bottom limit I''d start to take seriously - any less than that and I think we''ll see him starting upfront for us next season.

[quote user="alysha"][quote user="Indy"]

[/quote]

I keep seeing people writing this, but his agent said that around the time of Drury''s testimonial the club agreed to Holt''s request but by that time the "damage had been done".

[/quote]

I seem to recall hearing Payne say this, but I can''t remember seeing it quoted in any Newspaper or Internet reports. You''d assume that the only realistic way back from this point is for McNally to apologise and for Grant to put his big boy pants on and accept it. We need this situation resolved asap, Hughton needs to know what he''s working with for next season and which players he needs to replace. It''s already been 4 weeks.

£6m? IF this is true we should bite their hand off. There is no point having a player who''s head has gone and seems to want to be elsewhere.

I''m not going to slate the man as I for one (like many) realise he has been amazing for us for the last 3 seasons and even voted for him to be POTS for 2 of them, BUT I always had the feeling he was very much out for himself and had the sneaking feeling he wasnt as "team" and as well loved by the rest of the players like he was by us.

I''ve seen Zak, Ward, and Crofts all laugh at him rather than with him over the past few seasons.

It''s just a feeling...time to cash in and move on.

You may laugh, but I''d have Bendtner in the squad in a flash over 31 year old Holt.

if it is true, unlikely, then we could probably push them up to 7million. And for a guy that is coming to the end of his career a very good price for us. I''d drive him up there myself for that fee.

Now he is back from his hols, I suspect that things may start moving (either way) pretty soon. Pre season isn''t far away, so I am sure a lot of snippets will be flying around in the next 2/3 weeks. Personally, I think we have had the best out of him, the transfer request was handled awfully by his agent (with Holt''s say so though). £6m? Yes please, and thank you.

If the rest of the team are up to the job, creating chances etc, we have strikers that can score - but imo there aren''t many strikers like GH who are such all round good players and so clinical in front of goal.  

£6 million for a proven goal scorer and as fit as a butcher''s dog?    I think we would be foolish to let him go.   £6 million doesn''t buy you a lot these days.   

[quote user="lake district canary"]

If the rest of the team are up to the job, creating chances etc, we have strikers that can score - but imo there aren''t many strikers like GH who are such all round good players and so clinical in front of goal.  

£6 million for a proven goal scorer and as fit as a butcher''s dog?    I think we would be foolish to let him go.   £6 million doesn''t buy you a lot these days.   

[/quote]

I have to say that if Everton have offered £6M for Holt we really should snap their arm off. Holt is getting on now, has only two seasons left on his contract and although he hit the jackpot last season with the goals he scored I just can''t see him being allowed to do that again next season. I do think he will find another season in the premiership physically tougher than last season and I also think that defenders will have "wised up" about him and he''ll find it alot tougher scoring goals for that reason too. So, to my mind, £6M seems pretty attractive.

[/quote]

You keep repeating this mantra, LDC, on several threads to boot . Yes, you are right , up to a point, but you are also conveniently forgetting that it would appear that Holt''s committment to Norwich City seems to be not so strong . I accept that we do not know what''s been going on behind the scenes, but everything that''s happened so far is that Holt/his Agent has had plenty of opportunity to suggest compromises, but has not done so . The truth is that, if there was to be a speedy resolution of this problem, it would have been done weeks ago. So, yes, he IS fit. Yes, he can score goals. Yes, it would cost to replace him, but if he''s not got 100% committment to NCFC, then he should go.

Every season there have been doubts about Holt, Eric.   Every season he has silenced the doubters.  I just see this situation in the same light.

Repetitive?  Only answering all the different threads.........

Every season there have been doubts about Holt, Eric.   Every season he has silenced the doubters. 

[/quote]

My point exactly LDC. Now is the time for him to silence the doubters, and the simplest way of doing that would be to retract his transfer request, get down to some negociations, and commit himself fully to Norwich for another 2 years.

I also hate to say it but, could the second season in the premeirship find Holt short of goals?

Will bigger teams now put their best defenders on Holt, double up on the big msne knowing he''s the only real threat?

Every player has their value, for me 5 million plus for Holt is a clincher, take the money and buy a new fresh stiker.

There are no gauratees, no gaurantees Holt will be as good next season nor if we replace Holt they would be as good. All about risk, the risk of keeping a player who might cause more harm behind the scenes or a new youngster with fresh energy to drive others around him again.