Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Next Manager odds

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]Having looked at that list, very surprised by some of the names that could be available. Mick McCarthy, DiMatteo, Martinez, Holloway, Curbishley, Hughton all very good shouts and strong candidates. Would be happy with any of these, especially Holloway for the entertainment - it is only a game after all.[/quote]But it''s not:(:(:''(

Why do so many hanker for someone who would be returning to the club. Culverhouse could be a good call for continuity otherwise isn''t it better to appoint the best man for the job? Saunders, Bond and Lambert had no previous connection to the club and were undoubtedly succesful.

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]Having looked at that list, very surprised by some of the names that could be available. Mick McCarthy, DiMatteo, Martinez, Holloway, Curbishley, Hughton all very good shouts and strong candidates. Would be happy with any of these, especially Holloway for the entertainment - it is only a game after all.[/quote]
All except McCarthy. McCarthy would be terrible. Would be chuffed with any of the others.

Just put a tenner on Gus Poyet at 8/1, I think he''s worth a shout.

For me the favourites are - Hughton and Poyet. Then possibly Lee Clark and the boy Malky. Then a whole herd of no hopers.

Mind you it will probably be someone completely off radar like the guy who seems to have landed the Swansea job!

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Yellow Green Army"]Having looked at that list, very surprised by some of the names that could be available. Mick McCarthy, DiMatteo, Martinez, Holloway, Curbishley, Hughton all very good shouts and strong candidates. Would be happy with any of these, especially Holloway for the entertainment - it is only a game after all.[/quote]
All except McCarthy. McCarthy would be terrible. Would be chuffed with any of the others.
[/quote]Don''t really agree, he''s a manager with experience and he''s proved he can do a job. Not my favourite either, but he''s done a good job here and there

As we''re now in the hunt for a new gaffer, I will be taking interest in odds.Would someone mind setting out the basics of the trade to a complete novice when it comes to odds etc?Thanks in advance [Y]I await the inevitable sarcasm....

It''s basically all bollocks in terms of inducating what''s going to happen. 50 people lump £500 on Joe Bloggs and his odds tumble, people see his odds tumble and assume he''s a shoe in and "lump on", odd tumble further etc etc.

Exactly what do you need to know?  In essence its a fractional system whereby the first figure is what you will win if you place the second figure on your bet, i.e. 3/1 you bet £1 you win £3 (plus your stake money making it £4 returns).

Managers markets are very volatile as there is not normally a lot of money involved, so any big punt from someone who believes a ''rumour'' from someone ''in the know''  can cause large changes in the market.

So what you''re saying is that the smart money is on Joe Bloggs!? Thanks for the tip.

If the second number is the amount you put on,then the first number is the amount you would get back.

i.e

3-1    You would get £3 back for every quid you put on.The higher the first number on this means it has less liklihood of happening.

1-3     You would get £1 back etc.If you see odds like this,then it is normally odds-on favourite.

If its 2-1 then its bet £1 to win £2 (return is £3). But if its decimal odds of 2, such as you see on sites like Betfair, that includes your stake and is equivalent to evens or 1-1.

When people talk about odds getting longer they mean the odds going up. i.e. 2-1 changes to 5-1, so your return is higher if you win. If odds shorten your potential profit is less.

Fancy a game of Poker?

Shaker Maker - if it just says "2" on William Hill then it''s probably decimal odds which means that if you bet £1 and the bet wins you get £2 back in total. If on the other hand it actually says 2/1 on William Hill then it''s fractional odds and it means that if you bet £1 and the bet wins then you get £3 back in total.

The odds which bookmakers offer are a numerical representation of how likely they think something is to happen (well that''s basically the case although in real life it''s a little more complicated than that). So if the odds are shortening that means the bookies think something is getting more likely to happen whereas if the odds are lengthening then the bookies think something is getting less likely to happen.

Apart from this there are two rules to sensible betting.

1. Don''t bet as it''s a mugs game.

2. If you can''t follow rule 1 then only bet with money that you can afford to lose.

Malky Mackay

11/8

would be happy enough with him, not going to make big headlines getting him, but a manager passionate for the club and going in the right direction. Could be his big break that he needs.

Chris Hughton

6/4

Another early favourite, has never done a bad job either at both clubs he''s at. I''m still not convinced he''d attract the players we need to ensure survival next season.

Steve Bruce

Wasn''t all that bad at Sunderland and has obvious passion for our club. Could be what he needs to get his name back in the running for when SAF finally retires. I just worry that he would lack the cutting edge to make our players perform beyond their standard on paper

Gus Poyet

pretty unknown quantity, but has performed well at Brighton making a small side play some attractive football in the Championship, arguably punching above their weight

Karl Robinson

Not the worst option, but still young and only managed in league 1 and whilst he''s gone good, he hasn''t really been outstanding and i feel he needs another success at maybe championship level before i''d consider him for a premiership job

Lee Clark

similar to above, but previous connections, popular with Pilkington and could attract some of the talented player Huddersfield have. Another one relatively untested at a higher level though.

Alan Curbishley

Was a top top manager not so long ago with Charlton and was exactly who our club was trying to emulate until it all went belly up there after he was sacked when Charlton got greedy with their aspirations. What has he really achieved since then though?

Ian Holloway

Would love to see him just for the press conferences! I think he has a certain bit of genius in behind all the funny interviews too. With a bigger budget and bigger club than he has at Blackpool, he could prove a success. He is a but gung ho with his approach though and this would be risky with a team already struggling to stop shifting goals.

Dougie Freedman

Hmm, not sure he''s really done much. Not done bad, but this appointment wouldn''t inspire me

Ian Culverhouse

full credit to all the good work he''s done with Lambert and he obviously cares about the club. I just wonder if appointing assistant manager is risky though. It goes tits up all the time it seems. Maybe he was the good cop with lambert being the boss and this is a hard state of mind for him and the players to get out of. I''d rather see someone more established but you never know.

Alex McLeish

LOL! this would be funny! Yes he was a bit unlucky at Villa, but any good manager plans for injuries as Lambert did by strengthening our squad last summer. We barely noticed the minor injury crisis we had because of the excellent cover we had all over the shop.

Gianfranco Zola

Another legend of the game after a job. I''d be quite intrigued by this point and would hope that it would mean he had some decent players from Italy to bring with him (Del Piero too unrealistic?). Knows how to play the game the right way.

Michael Appleton

I''ll be honest, i don''t know much about him, a quick read up suggests he''s been braving the fight of Pompey''s demise. In that case he represents a far too big a risk for me and i''d rather we went for a more safe appointment.

Mick McCarthy

Was a tad unlucky to lose his job at Wolves and had an overly good time with them and i suppose Sunderland too. Enjoy his celebrtions on the touchline (See Robbie Keanes last minute leveller over the krauts at world cup 2002!). He''d likely get in some decent players that would want to play for him too.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Linked with Villa and i''d hoped he''d go there but it seems he''s still happy in Norway. If we were to get him, it would represent a big gamble, but one i''d be prepared to go with, he''d bring with him some class players i reckon too.

Nigel Worthington

Would we really go back?! I hope not. Premiership level proved a step too far for him last time out and he''s done nothing since to suggest that would change.

Paul Ince

Hmm, had a mixed career, i think he made the move to the premiership too soon and got bitten. He''s a good bloke and has exceptional pedigree. If he brings his son Thomas with him, then i''d be more inclined to go with him!

Ray Wilkins

Experienced head, but not one i think would be suited to the job at Norwich, not sure why, but i just can''t see it happening.

Roberto Martinez

Suppose i''d take him! Would be hilarious especially after being linked with Liverpool and Villa. Would be perfect revenge to Villa at least!

IMO McNally will try and go for a manager with a similar style of football (out of every single name) you can rule out your hoof ball managers and defensive types. Therefore you''re looking at your Holloways and Robinsons