Sign in to follow this  
Billabong

Ian Culverhouse

For those who are generalising and claiming assistants never make good managers. I think it has nothing to do with any previous position held.

It comes down to character, personality, man management skills, tactical knowledge, motivation skills, communication skills, experience.

If you have the above the respect of the player follows.

Just ask José Mourinho, he wasn''t even a proper assistant, he was just the translator

Whatever happems, I trust McNally to not make the disastrous decisions that the previous board did!!!!

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"]Already said on other thread Culverhouse is a great number 2.

They are The 3 Musketeers
[/quote]

[Y]

Still nothing to suggest that Culverhouse has handed in his resignation too. I would have thought that if he wanted to leave with Lambert, him and Karsa would have handed in theirs'' too in order to resolve compensation asap?

Would he stay if Lambert leaves? Maybe, and also if he becomes manager we can''t afford for him to go on a bad run and then we would have to find a new manager.

Of course, if he did/does fine then good!

I think that Culverhouse has the potential to be a very good manager one day if that is the career path of his choice.I would however prefer that we went for a manager who is currently employed elsewhere and who will bring a successful backroom team that have least spent a while working together with him.Are we really in a position to take such a gamble on installing Culverhouse as manager right now?

surely if he was offered the job he would have to take it, if he has any ambition of being a manager in the future. Could be his one great chance. He also seems to have a fantastic rapport with the players and is heavily involved in the coaching as it is. He''d certainly be on my short list.

All those of the opinion that Culverhouse should step up to being the boss should read Matt Juler''s posts on the subject. If they still think the same way, re-read them until they agree.

Any manager will be a gamble. Taking Poyet or Malky etc would be a gamble because they haven''t managed at the top level. Taking someone like Curbishley would be a gamble because he has been out of the game for 3 years. Going for a foreign manager will be a gamble because they might not adapt to the English game. Bruce or McCarthy would be a gamble because they are bad managers.

Going for Culverhouse would be a gamble because it''s difficult to go from assistant to manager. But at least he know how the team works, gets on with the players and has had great success with the club. He''ll also have a plan (made with Lambert) as to what we need to do over the summer to push on next season.

I don''t think any of us really know the inner workings of the club at management level but from the snippets we get it seems that he was involved closely at all levels from training to tactic to transfers. If he wants it I think he deserves a shot.

it''s similar to the Beatles, when they were up and running everyone assumed it was front man Paul Mccartney who was the talent, the leader and the brains!

After the split and solo careers, everyone realised it was John Lennon who had ALL the brains and ALL the talent.

If PL follows in Paul Maccartney''s footsteps, he will end up buying a one legged striker who will kick his @rse so hard, PL will end up wearing his claret and blue @rse as a hat!

Meanwhile back at Carrow Rd and Ian Culverhouse - "Imagine!!"

I suppose Kojak has done very well at Reading and he was backroom... so it''s possible.

Ian Culverhouse has undoubtably been a big part of the success of our club in the Lambert years. However i don''t think he should be offered the job. I think the dynamic is very unique, yes Culverhouse did a lot of the training etc but Lambert was very much the boss! Very rarely do you see an assistant manager promoted and be a success. Generally they''re in the background for a good reason. I think its too much for some of them, having to suddenly make all the big decisions. I would much rather see someone come in who is already a manger!

Is it true they only came onboard at Colchester though? Not like they have been together through thick and thin.

I agree it''s highly likely they will go as a team, but keeping hold of Culverhouse as AM would be the signing of the summer IMO.

[quote user="Billabong"]it''s similar to the Beatles, when they were up and running everyone assumed it was front man Paul Mccartney who was the talent, the leader and the brains! After the split and solo careers, everyone realised it was John Lennon who had ALL the brains and ALL the talent. If PL follows in Paul Maccartney''s footsteps, he will end up buying a one legged striker who will kick his @rse so hard, PL will end up wearing his claret and blue @rse as a hat! Meanwhile back at Carrow Rd and Ian Culverhouse - "Imagine!!"[/quote]

Does that mean Yoko Ono is going to be confirmed as number two?

Just offer him the job and if he thinks he''s up to it he will take it, otherwise he won''t. He has shown enough to at least be offered the chance. McNally hopefully will have some idea as to his character etc and would only offer the post if he thought he was capable, just as he did with Lambert on his appointment. I''d definitely trust McNally on this. 

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Culverhouse is not City born and bred and will have no career loyalty to NCFC.

He will know of the constraints placed on PL during his tenure as manager and will follow PL if he''s got any sense.

[/quote]

I don''t understand your logic as he played nearly 300 games for City so he must surely have a love for the club.

There is a twofold reason to  keeping Culverhouse here in my view:

1.   He seems a popular member of staff who knows the players, the setup and the vision of the club already, thereby not causing too much upheaval at the start of an important transfer window.

2.  Just to see how Lambert copes on his own without his no. 2.  Is it wrong for me to thank him for everything he has done but still love to see him crash and burn at Villa?

""Does that mean Yoko Ono is going to be confirmed as number two?''''''

Well, Yoko is Yellow through and through! Apparently

If Lambo is going to get his money doubled at Villa, Culverhouse will also get his money doubled, which is probably be more than we could pay him to manage the club. Also with out the pressure of being manager. So i don''t think he will stay, as 99% of us would change jobs if our money was doubled, why should they be more loyal than the rest of us. They are just looking after their own and their family''s interest. Good luck Paul,Cully and Karsa. But long live NCFC, hope they have just built the foundations for another good manager to prosper from like Walker did from Stringer.

[quote user="Billabong"]""Does that mean Yoko Ono is going to be confirmed as number two?'''''' Well, Yoko is Yellow through and through! Apparently[/quote]

I''ll take your word for it, as long as she doesnt strip off at half time in the name of peace or offer to sing a rendition of ''on the ball city''

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Culverhouse is not City born and bred and will have no career loyalty to NCFC.He will know of the constraints placed on PL during his tenure as manager and will follow PL if he''s got any sense.

[/quote]

I don''t understand your logic as he played nearly 300 games for City so he must surely have a love for the club.

[/quote]It''s just a job for these guys and football teams are simply businesses where they earn their wages. It''s like anything else, the glamour goes when you''re on the inside and see the nuts and bolts with all of it''s faults.I don''t doubt he enjoyed his time here but that''s all.

I doubt Villa are offering more in wages than we would. Managers are different to players. The main problem with increasing say Holt''s wage to 30k a week isn''t that would couldn''t afford it for him, it''s that all the other top players would expect to be on a similar wage and we couldnt afford to increase al of their wages to a similar level. That doesn''t apply with the manager.

While the pressure might not be as direct he''ll be just as out of a job as Lambert if things go wrong at Villa. If he doesn''t want to give it a go then fair play, but I think he might be ready to step out of Lambert''s shadow

IC will go with PL & Kinsella?

Lets not be so sure - getting 3 individuals plus their families to move to Birmingham as a group would be like getting the Queen, the Prime Minister and Charles Dickens, to move wholesale to the Larkman Estate!

''''Who is Kinsella dear?''''''

Oooops I meant Karsa!

I guess Karsa is a bit like security Officer Smith in Star Trek - makes up the numbers but ends up getting zapped and nobody remembers his name!

[quote user="Billabong"]''''Who is Kinsella dear?''''''

Oooops I meant Karsa!

I guess Karsa is a bit like security Officer Smith in Star Trek - makes up the numbers but ends up getting zapped and nobody remembers his name![/quote]President of Afghanistan I think....