Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

McNally Speaks About Manager Search

Further to my last post, see this info taken from an article about Dutt:[quote]Dutt belongs to the new generation of young coaches in Germany who

are committed to a high-tempo, technically sound, attacking brand of

football. Under Dutt, Freiburg averaged almost two goals a game.

"A ninth place finish for Freiburg was a really big deal for the club.

Dutt''s development at Freiburg has been watched by a number of

Bundesliga clubs over the past couple of years. And in the end it wasn''t

such a big surprise here in Germany that he got the job at a really big

club. Clubs like Hamburg and Hanover had approached him earlier,[/quote]Basically he took an equivalent of an average CCC team, got them promoted, then finished 9th in the top flight with a relatively unknown bunch of players - ring any bells :D

There may be exceptions to this but certainly Wenger and Mourinho worked best with a British assistant (Rice and Clarke respectively). I would be worried about an overseas manager with no experience of the English game who didn''t have someone like that on their staff.

No reason we couldn''t have that setup Purple, although it would come down to the manager to decide who they want in, but someone like Robins (or Cully if he stays) would be well suited to do that job again avoiding more compensation worries.

Guidolin would be a fantastic shout then if he is looking to move.

As for Dutt he does sound promising. Seems a similar situation to my choice of foreign manager, Gasperini, bringing teams up from the 2nd division in their respective leagues then doing well in the top league, moving to a bigger club and failing.

Any idea how good any of these guys English is? A foreign manager could be a good shout but I really think they need a good grasp of English to be considered

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]No reason we couldn''t have that setup Purple, although it would come down to the manager to decide who they want in, but someone like Robins (or Cully if he stays) would be well suited to do that job again avoiding more compensation worries.
[/quote]

Indeed, Indy. And if Culverhouse were to stay (a big if, I think) he would be perfect. Otherwise, how about Glenn Roeder?[;)]

OK, I''m not being entirely serious, but someone with that kind of experience and level of knowledge of English football.

Germany usually teaches English as a second language, so a good chance Dutt would have no issues, similarly Favre should be similar with his Swiss background.Guidolin may be the exception however, as many Italian managers have to learn English etc when they leave Italy, but I genuinely don''t know if this is the case with him personally.

Anybody who thinks next season will be anything than a struggle is pretty deluded and a foreign manager will not be up to the challenge, can''t remember the last one successful in a relegation scrap.  Our budget will not stretch to foreigners who are Prem standard, might get old stagers wanting last pay day, been there done that.  We will be looking for unearthed stars a la Pilkington/Bennett in Champ or Div 1 who will not be on Johnny Foreigners radar.  We need a manager who knows the pond in which we will be swimming if it takes some compo to get him then pay it, no foreign manager on the cheap.

I am beginning to question McNally''s sense in searching abroad.

Might not be struggle next season but seriously think it most likely.

Thats the kind of short sighted xenophobic statement that will make us remain "Little Norwich" forever I fear.

As much as I think this is a smokescreen from McNally to keep us guessing whilst they finalise things, the first name I thought of when reading the EDP article was Steve McClaren.

Can''t say I would want him here as manager, think he''d be better off if back in England to be working up at the national academy in Burton, but it got me thinking,how many English/British managers have worked abroad in the top European leagues in the last 10 years?

relegation struggle .....foreign manager ........Roberto Martinez did a pretty  good job I seem to remember !

Also think that the manager is not the one who finds the  unpolished diamonds necessarily ... probably more a scout and coach .

Having said that ...........I would prefer a British Manager.

I don''t think there''s enough mileage in another season unearthing lower league stars to make it a worthwhile transfer policy. Football isn''t as difficult as some would have you believe, a good player is easy to spot and the lower league clubs know who their good players are and will price accordingly. What you wont get for your money is a guarantee they can step up the divisions.We''ve done very nicely thank you from selectively purchasing the cream of the lower leagues time to move forwards and upwards and if that means proven players and a proven manager then that''s just dandy for me.

I seem to remember hearing that the only foreign manager to get a club relegated from the Premiership is Aram Grant. though he has done it twice.

As for the last one to be successful in a relegation scrap Martinez has done it for the last few seasons.

There''s no reason why we have to continue going for Champ/League 1 players, yes it''s worked very well under Lambert but getting someone in who will try to do the same is no guarantee of success.

Didn''t Lambert himself say that he wondered how many more lower leagues players he could find. Maybe a slight tweak in approach wouldn''t be the worst idea in the world. We shouldn''t sell ourselves short. We have just finished 12th in a league which is regarded to be one of the most exiciting, competitive and attractive in the world. I think there could be some very decent foreign candidates interested in the job.

I think this is our opportunity to state loud and clear that we will not be in a relegation battle next year, and that we want a manager who can take us further than Lambert.

A foreign boss with the right knowledge and contacts to bring in a few good-value players to ''gibb den kurrent Gruppe einen Hand'', as Ottmar Hitzfeld used to say, would be a good way of doing that.

nothing against a foreign manager.... Arsenal weren''t always a top 4 side... mid table before Wenger came along.Martinez has done what Wigan expect of him every season and keep them up... A foreign manager instils a different way of thinking.. lets be honest British football is decades behind the rest of Europe, lets get a different view on things and who knows where we might go!Solskjaer might be a good option, if you want a manager who is "against all Odds" look at the NAC Breda manager too.. smaller club than Norwich  but finished 3rd in the Dutch league in 2008, favourites for relegation every year yet for 11 years have been constant top flight performers and no where near trouble.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]nothing against a foreign manager.... Arsenal weren''t always a top 4 side... mid table before Wenger came along.

Martinez has done what Wigan expect of him every season and keep them up...

A foreign manager instils a different way of thinking.. lets be honest British football is decades behind the rest of Europe, lets get a different view on things and who knows where we might go!

Solskjaer might be a good option, if you want a manager who is "against all Odds" look at the NAC Breda manager too.. smaller club than Norwich  but finished 3rd in the Dutch league in 2008, favourites for relegation every year yet for 11 years have been constant top flight performers and no where near trouble.
[/quote]

Arsenal , did not do too badly under George Graham before Wenger. In fact if George Graham had not had his hands in the till, he might still have been there.

Was just having a look through the odds for the next Norwich Manager and noticed Michael Laudrup''s name there. Seems very Lambert like in ambition (not sure thats such a good thing now ;) ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Laudrup

Would certainly be a statement that Norwich are serious about improving.

[quote user="Henry"]Was just having a look through the odds for the next Norwich Manager and noticed Michael Laudrup''s name there. Seems very Lambert like in ambition (not sure thats such a good thing now ;) ).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Laudrup

Would certainly be a statement that Norwich are serious about improving.[/quote]if he''s as good a manager as his brothr was a player we''ll do alright!

Foreign Manager?

You had one - he''s gone to Villa!!!

(I''m defining foreign as non English purely to justify my comment!!!)

Id be very interested to see Michael Laudrup come and manage us....that''s a great shout.the rest of message board has already bigged up his credentials...plus being a Dane he will have impeccable english and a genuine understanding of how the "English game" is played.On a side note./.....Michael was a phenomenal player and as good as his brother was it would be like comparing Huckerby (Brian) to Maradona/Platini/Cruyff/Bergkamp perhaps (michael)

For some reason according to the Bookies the Swansea job seems to be attracting much bigger names than us, including Laudrup. Why I have no idea!

confirmed on the BBC website that "Malky Mackay does not fit the criteria" according to David McNally

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Arsenal weren''t a midtable before Wenger[/quote]I think in the few years between the Premier League starting and Wenger''s appointment they were (weren''t they at risk of relegation in 94/95?).