Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Has the board blown it again?

We all knew this day would come sooner or later but I for one thought it would be at least another year away and it would be the likes of a top 6 club that would tempt Lambert.

The fact that its Villa is sickening and to me is pointing to one thing, the boards failure to financially back arguably the best young manager in the country, Norwich''s best manager for years if not ever, and a guy who I think will go to the very top one day.

Surely the board must have recognised Lamberts ambition and if the rumours are to be believed from the end of the season it was clear that trouble was brewing once Lambert found out what his war chest was going to be for next season. The inevitable was to happen.

Now the way I see it is that is that we had a real chance to hit the big time next season, and im talking about top 6 for sure. Based on Lamberts meteoric rise season after season its logical to expect an improvement next season from 12th in the Premier League.

Top 10 I think would have been a certaintly and if not top 6 then the season after surely. So this has NCFC in the top 6 of English football for the first time in 20 yrs. Im sure this would have been the reality, and based on winning League 1 in his first season, top 2 in the Championship in his second and 12th in the Premier in his third, improvement in his 4th and 5th seasons was nailed on.

I really think Lambert is that good. I am still yet to see a weakness in his ability. Man management, tactics, purchases, motivation, he has it all. On a level with Ferguson in my opinion.

So he had a vision for Norwich that the board didnt. I do appreciate the financial implications tho and we cant give him what we dont have, but surely the board would have seen this coming and could have done more to secure investment. We were trying desperately to get investment whilst we were a League 1 club and its apparent we got it with the number of signings made over the last 2 years. So now as a 12th placed Prem club surely gaining more investment would be easier?

Either way it looks like the board have blown a huge opportunity to take the club back to the days of Walker and Europe, and ironically fighting it out with Aston Villa for the Prem title in the year we finished 3rd.

Sadly we''ll now never know what could have been.

Why can''t we just admit that Lambert wanted to move and that nothing could have (realistically) stopped him? Do we have to tear the club asunder because one man (great though he is) left?

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]We were trying desperately to get investment whilst we were a League 1 club and its apparent we got it with the number of signings made over the last 2 years.[/quote]As a company with shareholders, I''m pretty sure they would have had to publicly acknowledge if they had received investment.And I disagree with the rest of your post too.

The problem with Norwich has always been the Board. No matter what era you look back at the Board has always been the least ambitious. Whenever the club gets too successful it gets kicked back to mid-table Championship, or Div 2 as it was. We also always seem to get landed with owners who simply cannot let go, and don''t know when to go for the sake of the club, to let someone else in to take us to the next level.

[quote user="Big Vince"]The problem with Norwich has always been the Board. No matter what era you look back at the Board has always been the least ambitious. Whenever the club gets too successful it gets kicked back to mid-table Championship, or Div 2 as it was. We also always seem to get landed with owners who simply cannot let go, and don''t know when to go for the sake of the club, to let someone else in to take us to the next level.[/quote]

Or at least I hope you are the alternative terrifies me!

[quote user="Big Vince"]The problem with Norwich has always been the Board. No matter what era you look back at the Board has always been the least ambitious. Whenever the club gets too successful it gets kicked back to mid-table Championship, or Div 2 as it was. We also always seem to get landed with owners who simply cannot let go, and don''t know when to go for the sake of the club, to let someone else in to take us to the next level.[/quote]You do know our board is almost 100% different now don''t you? You cannot blame our current board whatsoever, we haven''t got the funds available to keep Lambert interested I don''t see how this is a lack of ambition.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"] We were trying desperately to get investment whilst we were a League 1 club and its apparent we got it with the number of signings made over the last 2 years..[/quote]

The accounts for the year ending 13st May 2011 show that in the previous 12 months Michael Foulger purchased 70,000 unissued shares taking his holding from 18,200 to 98,200 where has this further investment you claim was apparent been hidden in the accounts and where did it come from ?

Coupled with your total lack of knowledge regarding rolling contracts i am wondering how much you do know about NCFC and football in general with the greatest of respect ?

[quote user="Big Vince"] We also always seem to get landed with owners who simply cannot let go, and don''t know when to go for the sake of the club, to let someone else in to take us to the next level.[/quote]

Give McNally a call and let him have your list of interested parties prepared to invest in NCFC.

[quote user="Big Vince"]The problem with Norwich has always been the Board. No matter what era you look back at the Board has always been the least ambitious. Whenever the club gets too successful it gets kicked back to mid-table Championship, or Div 2 as it was. We also always seem to get landed with owners who simply cannot let go, and don''t know when to go for the sake of the club, to let someone else in to take us to the next level.[/quote]Well said. [Y]

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Big Vince"]The problem with Norwich has always been the Board. No matter what era you look back at the Board has always been the least ambitious. Whenever the club gets too successful it gets kicked back to mid-table Championship, or Div 2 as it was. We also always seem to get landed with owners who simply cannot let go, and don''t know when to go for the sake of the club, to let someone else in to take us to the next level.[/quote]

Well said. [Y]
[/quote]

No. Just no.

Yes, lets play the blame game. Sack the board. Install rich investor.

Oh wait, the board have done nothing wrong and we are financially sound. Don''t try and fix whats not broken.

Lets all do a Portsmouth, Lets all do a Portsmouth na nana na na na na

The club thanks to this board are on a level footing for the first time in many years and unless I missed something the new financial regs will make us a big club if we keep in that position. Unfortunately it is people like you op that will destroy our club by not supporting the new manager and blameing the board from the second we lose a game.

In reality once Lambert has gone our club will not constantly concerned about what might happen. Lambert could just as easily have done this 2 days before the start of the season or in January. For all the goodwill messages do people really believe he had not already got the job before he resigned and that he is now trying to unsettle players like Howson.

I also dont buy this about the board not supporting him, he always knew what the score was and did not object when he was a nobody. I still feel things changed the day we drew with Wigan and those idiots booed. The board in this instance will be an easy target for Lambert to deflect the flack and make it seem like he would never do that to Villa. If the only way they can get him is a rolling contract then Villa beware it will be like turkeys voting for christmas.

The single most annoying thing will be if it is over the ''transfer kitty''.

I say that because Lambert has known the plan all along, does that mean he always knew that around this point in the plan he would leave?

£40million a season sounds like a lot. But the reality is it isn''t. Transfer fees is one thing, but then you have to take into account wages.

I think the biggest problem is with wages. We could afford £4-5million for a player, but then could we afford the £30k pw minimum to attract half decent players?

Ontop of that he has released players, and there are players that are out of contract that may be in the plans of the manager coming in, are these things all being delayed because of this? It could cost the club greatly.

[quote user="The ambassador"]To be honest the only "board" to blame is this one![/quote]

I think you over-estimate the importance of this forum.

We need big investors then, even if it means Delia and co have to step down.

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]Lets all do a Portsmouth, Lets all do a Portsmouth na nana na na na na

The club thanks to this board are on a level footing for the first time in many years and unless I missed something the new financial regs will make us a big club if we keep in that position. Unfortunately it is people like you op that will destroy our club by not supporting the new manager and blameing the board from the second we lose a game.

In reality once Lambert has gone our club will not constantly concerned about what might happen. Lambert could just as easily have done this 2 days before the start of the season or in January. For all the goodwill messages do people really believe he had not already got the job before he resigned and that he is now trying to unsettle players like Howson.

I also dont buy this about the board not supporting him, he always knew what the score was and did not object when he was a nobody. I still feel things changed the day we drew with Wigan and those idiots booed. The board in this instance will be an easy target for Lambert to deflect the flack and make it seem like he would never do that to Villa. If the only way they can get him is a rolling contract then Villa beware it will be like turkeys voting for christmas.[/quote]Thank you Delia.....Now put your knickers on and make a cup of tea.

This forum has been starting rumours and tales for nearly a decade now.... it''s time to bloody stop. Even PL said he saw "message boards" (who else is it going to be?) annoying him because it said he was definatly leaving etc

[quote user="The ambassador"]This forum has been starting rumours and tales for nearly a decade now.... it''s time to bloody stop. Even PL said he saw "message boards" (who else is it going to be?) annoying him because it said he was definatly leaving etc[/quote]

Didnt think i was starting a rumour tho, its obvious Lambert is going because he doesnt have enough to spend .

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]Lets all do a Portsmouth, Lets all do a Portsmouth na nana na na na na

I also dont buy this about the board not supporting him, he always knew what the score was and did not object when he was a nobody. I still feel things changed the day we drew with Wigan and those idiots booed. The board in this instance will be an easy target for Lambert to deflect the flack and make it seem like he would never do that to Villa. If the only way they can get him is a rolling contract then Villa beware it will be like turkeys voting for christmas.[/quote]Thank you Delia.....Now put your knickers on and make a cup of tea.[/quote]

Mmmm so let me get this right you would rather have the club millions in the red and Paul Lambert in charge rather than have the club solvent ala Stoke. If we wanted to spend huge fees on established players any manager could do that couldnt they ?

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="The ambassador"]This forum has been starting rumours and tales for nearly a decade now.... it''s time to bloody stop. Even PL said he saw "message boards" (who else is it going to be?) annoying him because it said he was definatly leaving etc[/quote]

Didnt think i was starting a rumour tho, its obvious Lambert is going because he doesnt have enough to spend .[/quote]

And where exactly will this money come from ? Why did he not turn the job down when he was at CU he always knew the budgets and what they would be.

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"][quote user="The ambassador"]This forum has been starting rumours and tales for nearly a decade now.... it''s time to bloody stop. Even PL said he saw "message boards" (who else is it going to be?) annoying him because it said he was definatly leaving etc[/quote]

Didnt think i was starting a rumour tho, its obvious Lambert is going because he doesnt have enough to spend .[/quote]

And where exactly will this money come from ? Why did he not turn the job down when he was at CU he always knew the budgets and what they would be.[/quote]

Right ill explain my point again as you seem to have missed it.

No I do not expect us to go into the red and spend millions just to keep Lambert happy. The point was we had a fantastic opportunity here and however you look at it, from any angle, weve bloody blown it.

Whether that be because the board couldnt find any further investment or were just not prepared to jeopardise the improved financial standing we now find ourselves in. The point im making is that surely the Board could have seen this coming, and given that under Lambert i think we were on the verge of greatness, could the Board have done more?

[quote user="jed exodous"]I liked the bit in the original post where we finished top 6 next season...  [:$][/quote]

Do you not think that was a possibilty? And i actually stated it more likely that a top 10 finish next season, with top 6 the season after was more likely.

However, given the strengthening Lambert could have made, and judging on his previous league finish improvements of the previous 2 yrs? And also given that at one point last season we were 7th, not far behind Liverpool and had we not had the blip that saw us slide to 12th, could have stayed in the top 8.

If you want to be a Premiership club somewhere along the line you have to sign Premiership class players and pay Premiership wages , unfair on Lambert to expect him to keep signing Championship and League 1 players and be able to keep us up . I do not think we are really a top flight club , our finances scream middle of the Championship , and how much better off will we be after relegation next season  ? maybe a few extra million to Lambert now would in the long run have been a better investment than another decade in the Championship ,

[quote user="Ncfc"]If you want to be a Premiership club somewhere along the line you have to sign Premiership class players and pay Premiership wages , unfair on Lambert to expect him to keep signing Championship and League 1 players and be able to keep us up . I do not think we are really a top flight club , our finances scream middle of the Championship , and how much better off will we be after relegation next season  ? maybe a few extra million to Lambert now would in the long run have been a better investment than another decade in the Championship ,[/quote]
It''s all well and good saying we need to spend more money, but unless you know where we can get more money then you argument has no point.