Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

ryan bennett that was unacceptable

i don''t care how knackered you are ... fair enough you hashed up the back pass it happens... but at least make some token attempt to redeem yourself you do not just stop and let the bloke score... that just isn''t what we are about OTBC

Oh for God''s sake - we''ve been well & truely stuffed by a infinitely superior collection of players but it''s no time to start picking on individuals.Get over it & move on.

To think we''re in a relegation battle .. Oh wait we''re not. Tevez and Aguero were simply brilliant today.

"Oh here we go...."

Yep here we go. Just got stuffed, and people aren''t allowed to criticise any aspect of the performance. Here we go indeed.

"that just isn''t what we are about OTBC

"Turning on our players after the season we have had isnt what we are about.Beaten by the better team.

It''s hardly turning on our own players is it. It''s saying that to stand there jogging back and watching Tevez go round the keeper and pass it in, and not even bother sprinting back to try and make it as hard as possible for Tevez is unacceptable.

Agreed. Ok when Tevez first gets away it''s sort of understandable that he only half heartedly jogs back, but Ruddy pushes him out wide, and there is plenty of time for Bennett to get in and at least try to make a challenge. He hasn''t bothered.

For me, if you''re a centre half, you''ve already conceded 4 and you''ve just made a hash up of a pass back, you do everything you can to try and stop the 5th going in past you, you don''t give up. Slightly disappointed with that I''ve got to say.

To be fair, this is like his first major mistake in his first four premier league games. Just keep things in perspective, he has only played 4 games at this level and has played brilliantly in 3 of them.

The lad is still young. I''d prefer he made mistakes and learnt from them now whilst we should be safe rather than next season.

[quote user="im spartacus"]i don''t care how knackered you are ... fair enough you hashed up the back pass it happens... but at least make some token attempt to redeem yourself you do not just stop and let the bloke score... that just isn''t what we are about OTBC[/quote]Tevez is just about to tap the ball into an open goal and Ryan''s 10+ metres behind. Just what can you expect to achieve from that situation? The goal was as good as scored by then. Even Usain Bolt wouldn''t have got to it. Accept it.

[quote user="Pilkingtons love for Nandos. "]Didn''t he make a goal saving tackle after his mistake?  Pretty sure he made up for it.
[/quote]

Yep, but he was beaten to a header for a goal by a very short player by not jumping.

I''ve praised Bennett in his past few games. I''ve said he looks very good. I don''t think he was brilliant all game today, but yeah he made a couple of good challenges after and before.

But just because he''s been good at other times doesn''t mean he can''t get a bit of criticism for giving up the ghost on the 5th goal. He is young, and I''m sure he will be a big player for us in the future, but I wouldn''t be at all surprised if Lambert has a quiet word with him over the course of the week about not chasing back.

quote = "i''m spartacus" i don''t care how knackered you are ... fair enough you hashed up the back pass it happens... but at least make some token attempt to redeem yourself you do not just stop and let the bloke score... that just isn''t what we are about OTBC

I bet Lambert won''t be criticising Bennett like this, why? Because he knows criticising someone will only damage their confidence. Bennett knows what he has done wrong and if he continues he will just lose his place in side, that''s the beauty of our squad as we have depth. Lambert will no doubt praise what he did right and so should we. Lets get behind our players. OTBC.

Once he''d lost the ball, Bennett had next to no chance of catching Tevez. What is the point in expending valuable energy chasing the irretrievable?

Better use of the seconds that followed was for Bennett to regroup his thoughts and re-focus. Considering he threw himself across a goal-bound shot only moments later, I’d say he did that bit very well for a young player who is still finding his way in the Prem. Once again he played very well apart from that one mistake. Overall, it made little difference – we move on…

I disagree completely Mustard. Watch a replay. By the time Ruddy has sent Tevez wider, Bennett is not all that far away from being able to get across and at least chuck himself in the general direction of a shot. Had he sprinted back from the off, he could quite easily have made an attempt to make up for his error.

Josh - why should we? We''re on a messageboard. We''re not at the ground shouting abuse at him. We''re discussing the match online after the game, on a website I very much doubt any of the players bother reading. Do you sit down the pub with your mates and refuse to discuss anything that isn''t singing the praises of the side? Seems absurd if you do!

I thought he was pretty good today apart from his mistake.

[quote user="Aggy"]I disagree completely Mustard. Watch a replay. By the time Ruddy has sent Tevez wider, Bennett is not all that far away from being able to get across and at least chuck himself in the general direction of a shot. Had he sprinted back from the off, he could quite easily have made an attempt to make up for his error. Josh - why should we? We''re on a messageboard. We''re not at the ground shouting abuse at him. We''re discussing the match online after the game, on a website I very much doubt any of the players bother reading. Do you sit down the pub with your mates and refuse to discuss anything that isn''t singing the praises of the side? Seems absurd if you do![/quote]

OK, I''ll watch a replay. Mind you, in the time you & I thought we saw what we saw - Ryan Bennett had that same split-second to make his decision. That''s how easy it is to select the right - or wrong option. Who''d be a footballer eh? (all of us probably!)...

He''s a young player who made a mistake through.a poor touch. It''s ironic that a poor touch as a defender has such an impact whereas Holty was guilty of countless poor first touches today but the penalty is so less obvious.

Ryan didn''t hide, he kept his head up and made an excellent block and tackle afterwards.

It is vital for defenders to put errors behind them. It is also important for supporters not to get onto young players in particular.

We had a lot of young and inexperienced boys out there today and I thought our fans were class in staying with them.

TBF the whole team were dead on their feet when the backpass happened. I was more dissappointed with the 3rd when he was outjumped by Tevez for the rebound, this was what turned the match and I don''t think it would have been 6 had he had won that ball.

No fair point mustard, but surely that is the worry. The split second decision for a centre half should surely be to sprint back and try to stop the goal. Not jog back and hope the keeper sorts it.

Rudolph, I think the majority of fans will stick by a player on the pitch, especially when it''s against a side like Man City where we are obvious second favourites. It doesn''t mean we shouldn''t discuss or criticise after the game. I''ll be fully behind him next time round, but I did think he should have done better (I''m more bothered by the lack of trying to get back than the back pass - anyone can make a bad backpass).

GJL, it''s quite tough there as well to be fair to Bennet - Tevez was on the move and attacking the ball, Bennet was flat footed and it''s much harder toget up to attack the ball in those situations. It also seems a bit of a push to me (possibly a foul by today''s standards). I think the blame has to be with Ruddy for that one rather than Bennet.