Sign in to follow this  
"""""""""Ben """""""""""

Everyone is after Whitbread

I think he must have spoken to Zak already and had a contract signed but kept in private so as not to disrupt the other players out of contract this summer. But the other side of the coin for me is that Lambert seems to rate Ward very highly (i think perhaps we see the worse of ward in games and in training he makes less mistakes) and i expect he may be worried about Zak''s injuries since he''s been at Norwich - that''s why i question whether anything has been done in secret.Your right in that replacing 3CB would be very difficult, Barnett is dead cert to go so another CB will be signed i assume. I also expect to see either ward or Whitbred go, not both of them though. Now i wouldn''t mind have Whitbred, Ayala, Bennett, Russ + another as CB option next season, but would be very worried if we went into the season with only 4 CB. I really hoped Naughts would be made a perm this summer, espciially with his contract up, but i now think he will go back to Spurs or perhaps go somewhere else in the prem. But would love to see both him and Gunter here next season, that way Russ could be turned into a CB

Pricey, why do you think Barnett is a dead cert to go? He''s under contract until the summer of 2014 so would cost any club a lot of money. I''ve a feeling he''ll still be here so we have to hope he can knuckle down and find some form.

My worry about Whitbread is his injury record. We signed him injured and he has only played 48 times in the two and a half years he''s been here. A new contract could well be a bigger gamble than the original signing. Good player when fit though.

If he doesn''t play against Arsenal Nutty, do you think he''ll be off?

We have 3 fit CBs, and presumably only 2 fit FBs. Ward (and Bennett) didn''t play very well last week, and when Barnett/De Laet did the same early in the season, Lambert dropped them. So surely, after a ''shocker'' from Ward (I wouldn''t call it that, but many have), Barnett not getting a re-call would be a disaster for him? I don''t think he even got a run out in the cup games. And as far as i''m aware, he hasn''t been injured at all this season.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''d put Ronaldo in there Chops, just because he''s an arrogant d!ck :P

And i''m sure he can come across well Nuff Said, i''ll read that interview, but I it probably won''t change my mind all that much.[/quote]I can scarcely find words to admire your openmindedness... [:|]

Its an interview, one interview. My opinion on Barton has been built up over many incidents, many things he has said on twitter. One interview isn''t going to change my mind is it? Because, probably like some of the ''wrong'' things he''s done, the media, interviewer, himself, can put a spin on it. It would be worse, if my whole opinion of someone, would change after one little interview wouldn''t it?

I don''t think he''ll be off GP. I don''t really see where he''ll go. We gave him a three and a half year contract when we signed him. If he has no future he could be a mistake of Cureton proportions. There must be ability there. Lambert had him on loan and gave him that contract based on what he''d seen during that loan. He missed the last two months of last season injured and hasn''t been able to keep his place this. It rather looks like he''s been frozen out. If that''s the case he has a huge job to get back in favour but players have done it before.

I''ve got no idea who will play Saturday. I gave up trying to second guess Lambert a long time ago. But if he drops Ward I believe it will be the first time in two seasons.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Pricey, why do you think Barnett is a dead cert to go? He''s under contract until the summer of 2014 so would cost any club a lot of money. I''ve a feeling he''ll still be here so we have to hope he can knuckle down and find some form.

My worry about Whitbread is his injury record. We signed him injured and he has only played 48 times in the two and a half years he''s been here. A new contract could well be a bigger gamble than the original signing. Good player when fit though.

[/quote]How''s it going Nutty? For me Barnett is a dead cert to go because he''s had a run of games in the prem and shown he isn''t quite up to this level. It''s not as if he made silly mistakes which can be cut out of his games, his performances, to me, were just not good enough for the prem. He''s too easily turned and not the best positionally, this is a major problem with the quality of strikers in the prem. I liked him in the champ, but admittedly, i didn''t get to see him as much as i did this year, and from this year''s performances he doesn''t quite have it. Zak, a much slower player, is much more wise with his positioning, solid in the tackle and isn''t all to easily turned. Added to his performances, i think the fact we haven''t seen him feature since early on speaks volumes, Martin came in at CB during our injury crisis, and showed Lambert was more willing to play his 1st/2nd choice RB at CB than he was one of his designated CBs in Barnett. Your right about the issue with his price, i think we signed him for around £750,000 didn''t we? It will be hard to recoup that sort of price for him, but we were willing to do it when he was frozen out at West Brom, someone may be willing to do it again this summer, he is young and did quite well in the champ last time round.Another issue is, to bring more defenders in we are going to have to release those who are surplus to requirements, due to being at our squad limit, if we are to guess from Lambert''s choice of CB partnerships as the season has drawn on, it seems rather obvious that Barnet is last on his list. So unless Zak and Whitbred both move on, i am quite sure Barnett will be sent out either on loan or sold.

Things are good Pricey. Two wins in the last two weeks on Rays Funds. But we''re going to need you next season buddy!

It''ll interesting to see how things work out. I guess Barnett could go out on loan next year like he did when he came here. But he''s not even half way through his contract. The old romantic in me would like to see him come good for us. If he doesn''t then Lambert''s reputation in the transfer market takes a dent.

Yeah, i saw that, good work with the PUPs. I will get involved next season, just thought i was a little late this year.I would like to see him do well at the club too, i just feel like we moved on a bit to quick for him, another season or two in the champ would have done him some good. I think this year was a case of chucking him in the deep end and it didn''t really work out for him, it''s given him some vital experience though, but he needs some game time to progress his career, especially at his age.I wouldn''t say selling him would put too much a dent on Lambert''s transfer record though, he did well for us last season when needed, and aided in getting some vital points when called upon.

Losing Whitbread would be a big blow. He does have his injury problems but he is a classy performer and is naturally suited to the left side of the defence. For a club like us that is an extremely rare commodity and we should be fighting hard to keep him.

If he leaves for a club like Sunderland I can accept that. We can''t compete wage wise. Lose him to one of the newly promoted boys and that does send out a pretty poor message ahead of a new season. It would be interesting to see a back four of Naughton, Tierney, Whitbread and Bennett. That would be a very decent for me.

I''m not surprised other clubs are interested in Zak. I hope he hasn''t already played his last game for City. He is our best CB by a mile IMO.

I agree, I do wonder if done deal already, it would be nice to also think that as we paid him a wage for nothing in his 1st year there might be a little bit of loyalty....but then again we are talking about a Footballer here.

I find all of this a bit confusing if honest.

People stating that Whitbread is our best defender by a country mile seems a huge exageration to me and also writes off the likes of Naughton and Tierney''s qualities.

For me Whitbread is our best all-round centre back. I wouldn''t say he is the best in the air - I think Ward is better. But for me in that partnership Ward is like Mackay and Whitbread like Fleming. You have one classier ball playing defender and one more cut and thrust.

That''s why Ayala and Whitbread worked well because Ayala is solid, maybe not as good with the ball but he stops people and is quick too. Ward is good with the ball at his feet as well but I think people forget he has been injured a lot of this season.

I would like to see Whitbread stay, but you can''t blame him if he doesn''t. He is 28, the next contract he signs could be his last big shot at being in a sustained premiership side.

And I think he could easily go to Sunderland and be a regular. O''Neil is Lambert''s inspiration remember, he is hardly going to be interested in a defender that is just going to sit on the bench or kick his heels in the reserves. We knew he was highly rated when we signed him.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''d put Ronaldo in there Chops, just because he''s an arrogant d!ck :P  [/quote]

Is he?

Can''t see that he''s any worse than most.

Whitbread will stay. Unless he''s asked for £30k a week, he''ll get a new deal. If Ward and Barnett go (no trouble finding championship suitors for them 2, great defenders for that level) then we''ll sign 1 new CB.

Full back is somewhere i''d like us to invest in, and seeing as we failed in a bid to sign Fraser Forster last year (£2m bid turned down, confirmed from the man himself) we might try get a new keeper to challenge for No. 1 spot. Maybe since Ruddy has had a great season, we''ll not bother now, with Rudd and Steer another year older.

Most vital for me is a combative Centre Mid. Someone with great all round physical stats who can take the game by the scruff of the neck. Vieira springs to mind. We must be able to find someone like this, maybe we should look abroad, without trying to stereotype, theres planty of big African lads playing in France and that that would fit the bill. I feel we''ve lacked this since Dickson Etuhu left. Yeah they''ll play the odd sloppy pass and occasionally get sent off, but teams seem to bypass our midfield far too easily when we''re not in possession.

[quote user="priceyrice"]
 For me Barnett is a dead cert to go because he''s had a run of games in the prem and shown he isn''t quite up to this level. It''s not as if he made silly mistakes which can be cut out of his games, his performances, to me, were just not good enough for the prem. He''s too easily turned and not the best positionally, this is a major problem with the quality of strikers in the prem. I liked him in the champ, but admittedly, i didn''t get to see him as much as i did this year, and from this year''s performances he doesn''t quite have it. [/quote]

I still don''t think Barnett is really any worse than Ayala, Bennett or Ward.

We''ve seen the other 3 make some real costly mistakes and we''re no better defensively without Barnett.

I can see that Barnett''s distribution isn''t great but then Ryan Bennett hasn''t been too impressive in that area either. Ayala is much better with the ball but you wouldn''t back him anywhere near as much to win the ball in the first place.

Paul Lambert seems to have made a choice though and he might feel he has to stand by it but I''m guessing that he''d have been hoping the CB''s replacing Barnett would have been better than what they have.

[quote user="GJP"]I still don''t think Barnett is really any worse than Ayala, Bennett or Ward. 

We''ve seen the other 3 make some real costly mistakes and we''re no better defensively without Barnett.[/quote]

I tend to agree here.

I think some are forgetting how well Barnett and Martin played together at CB, and what this allowed us to do with the other slots. With Martin at CB, Naughton could play in his favoured spot instead of filling in at left back, and both he and Tierney benefitted from the relative stability centrally which allowed them to get forward more.

Ayala and Bennett are both young and likely to be error prone for the near future.

Ward seems to struggle for form and consistency at this level, although I don''t think he''s an awful backup.

Barnett has been totally frozen out, and I really am wondering if there''s something more happened here than what we know.

Whitbread however is still our best CB IMHO - assuming he''s fit and playing alongside a decent partner. He''s a bit like our version of Ledley King, in that he''s always struggling with injury, but can be top class when he''s fit. Unless he''s wanting a crazy contract offer, or has his eye on moving elsewhere, I''d assume his re-signing was almost a formality.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''d put Ronaldo in there Chops, just because he''s an arrogant d!ck :P  [/quote]

Is he?

Can''t see that he''s any worse than most.

[/quote]

Really?

One of the most arrogant around based on interviews i''ve seen with him.

From BBC Gossip column today:

''Former Manchester United midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo interrupted his celebrations after Real Madrid''s win over Athletic Bilbao that clinched the league title, by making a disrespectful gesture towards Javi Martinez, Bilbao''s Spain international who had been sent off during the game.''

Sounds like a lovely bloke.

If Ward signs a new contract and Whitbread leaves the wave of righteous indignation that will swell from this forum may well be enough to break the internet. I''d like to see them both stay but I''m sure PL knows what he''s doing.

And Ginge. Of course Ronaldo is arrogant. He is one of the best two players in the world. It''s easy to be humble when you are sat in your pants on the internet all day [:D]

I think a team can handle having an arrogant player amongst its ranks as long as they produce the goods on the pitch, it buys them a little room for their attitude. Its when the attudite is unjustifed by their ability or performace when the problems start. We had some over the years im sure, Bellers springs to mind of one that worked fine.

Rather than buy another centre back I think we should invest in an operation room at colney where we can create an awsome centre back by combining Bennetts heading ability, Wards attitude and Zak''s footballing brain and play Ayala and Warbenak at the back next season.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]From BBC Gossip column today: ''Former Manchester United midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo interrupted his celebrations after Real Madrid''s win over Athletic Bilbao that clinched the league title, by making a disrespectful gesture towards Javi Martinez, Bilbao''s Spain international who had been sent off during the game.'' Sounds like a lovely bloke.[/quote]

Lol. Ridiculous. Have you even seen the incident itself?

They''re just giving each other a bit of stick at the end of the game. Just nothing in it at all.

I''ll have you know Shack, i''m fully clothed!!! :)

But the player who name or team I won''t mention because I always mention, but that player who you would consider the other player in the best two in the world, well he''s no where near as arrogant, in fact every interview i''ve seen with him, he''s incredibly humble, and plays down his talent, praises his team mates and others. Ronaldo (and this other player) have a certain right to be arrogant, he''s a fantastic talent, but I think he could be slightly nicer about it.

Now, because you''ve upset me i''m not going to post again today :P (well actually, its because I''m not going to be able to, unless I can really be bothered to on my phone...)

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

How''s it going Nutty?

For me Barnett is a dead cert to go because he''s had a run of games in the prem and shown he isn''t quite up to this level. It''s not as if he made silly mistakes which can be cut out of his games, his performances, to me, were just not good enough for the prem. He''s too easily turned and not the best positionally, this is a major problem with the quality of strikers in the prem. I liked him in the champ, but admittedly, i didn''t get to see him as much as i did this year, and from this year''s performances he doesn''t quite have it. Zak, a much slower player, is much more wise with his positioning, solid in the tackle and isn''t all to easily turned.

Added to his performances, i think the fact we haven''t seen him feature since early on speaks volumes, Martin came in at CB during our injury crisis, and showed Lambert was more willing to play his 1st/2nd choice RB at CB than he was one of his designated CBs in Barnett. Your right about the issue with his price, i think we signed him for around £750,000 didn''t we? It will be hard to recoup that sort of price for him, but we were willing to do it when he was frozen out at West Brom, someone may be willing to do it again this summer, he is young and did quite well in the champ last time round.

Another issue is, to bring more defenders in we are going to have to release those who are surplus to requirements, due to being at our squad limit, if we are to guess from Lambert''s choice of CB partnerships as the season has drawn on, it seems rather obvious that Barnet is last on his list. So unless Zak and Whitbred both move on, i am quite sure Barnett will be sent out either on loan or sold.
[/quote]............i believe that if Whitbread moves on then Zak will definitely go with him, unless wehave cloning technology at colney.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]From BBC Gossip column today: ''Former Manchester United midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo interrupted his celebrations after Real Madrid''s win over Athletic Bilbao that clinched the league title, by making a disrespectful gesture towards Javi Martinez, Bilbao''s Spain international who had been sent off during the game.'' Sounds like a lovely bloke.[/quote]

They''re just giving each other a bit of stick at the end of the game. Just nothing in it at all.

[/quote]

Just watched it on youtube. Doesn''t look like there just giving each other a bit of stick. Looks like Ronaldo is being rude for absolutely no reason. I''m sure the other player said something, but Ronaldo clearly says something, his facial expression doesn''t convey ''just giving each other a bit of stick'' and then he makes the gesture with his arm, while walking away with a sour look on his face. That clearly wasn''t just giving each other a bit of stick, that would be light hearted, he quite clearly isn''t. Why on earth are you trying to make out he''s not arrogant? He quite clearly is.

Must admit when I read this on Sky my heart was in my mouth for a second. This would be a disaster imo unless we replaced him with a good CB... He''s been our best defender by far imo...maybe with only Naughton coming close... I think PL will do everything to keep him at CR. You just don''t know what he wants and what he''s being offered ... The season''s all but finished so that means the rumour mill starts to turn...

Do you guys think we''ll keep Ward? I personally hope we sell him...or let him go that is.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote] Just watched it on youtube. Doesn''t look like there just giving each other a bit of stick. Looks like Ronaldo is being rude for absolutely no reason. I''m sure the other player said something, but Ronaldo clearly says something, his facial expression doesn''t convey ''just giving each other a bit of stick'' and then he makes the gesture with his arm, while walking away with a sour look on his face. That clearly wasn''t just giving each other a bit of stick, that would be light hearted, he quite clearly isn''t. Why on earth are you trying to make out he''s not arrogant? He quite clearly is.[/quote]

So is Javi Martinez totally innocent in all this? It takes two to tango.

You''re just using it as a stick to beat Ronaldo with.

I have been impressed by whitbread this season but and it is a big but he is so injury prone 20 odd games in 2 seasons has to be a concern. whilst i hope he signs a new deal we should not be held hostage and i do think Ayala and bennett will start off as first choice pairing next season.If Ward and Whitbread go then we will be very short on numbers at CB and would need another 2

I think we should go all out for Son Ova Gun''s Warbernak this sumer. And then get John Hoolman for the midfield and Jack Moriolt up front. That would be one helluva spine that we could build next season''s team around.