Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Any Horror Stories From Anyone Who Travelled By Train Yesterday?

Not really a horror story, and not Abellio, but I was sat at a broken signal between Littleport and Downham Market for 40 mins on the way back. The archaic single-track nature of that line certainly doesn''t help.

[quote user="First Wazzock AKA Dr Vinyl"]Abellio are really gonna get it from me...! [:@][/quote]Oh dearWazzy, first a thread moaning about the ref and now this one about the trains. I''m dreading your match report! [:S][;)]

Norwich to Cambridge, absolutely rammed......On the return, Cambridge to Norwich, absolutely rammed......

Cambridge to Liverpool St, comfy.......on the return, King''s X to Cambridge, comfy......

Norwich to Liverpool Street, absolute nightmare, not enough buses between Stomarket and Ipswich both ways. Filthy rolling stock from Ipswich to Liverpool Street, Dodgy pint in Kensington (ok maybe not their fault but will blame them anyway!!).

Swindon to Paddington, No problems there or back.This reserved seat thing is very strange, coming back, we got to Paddington at 5:55pm and our booked train was at 7pm so with a train leaving at 6pm we hoped on that only to find that nearly every seat was reserved. We did eventually find some spare seats but throughout our journey back to Swindon they remained reserved on an almost empty train !

No. Stayed in South Mimms for the weekend, but had to get the tube in and out of London (to Putney Bridge) for the game. After the game, it was packed (was crushed in!) but it was full of City fans which was good, even more than Fulham fans on there. London was full of City fans, even down Oxford and Regent street and around Central London. Was awesome!!

[quote user="Northluck C."]Not really a horror story, and not Abellio, but I was sat at a broken signal between Littleport and Downham Market for 40 mins on the way back. The archaic single-track nature of that line certainly doesn''t help.
[/quote]

Best was that they held the outbound train at Downham over the same period, so there were two trains sat at either end of the single track stretch going nowhere.

Apparently the signal controller at Downham refused to authorise either to move in case he got it wrong. Loved the apology as we got into Lynn due to "a signal failure which is beyond the control of Network South East". What, you mean the people we''ve paid to move a train from one of the track to the other? Who''s fault was it then!

[quote user="monkeytrousers"]

Norwich to Liverpool Street, absolute nightmare, not enough buses between Stomarket and Ipswich both ways. Filthy rolling stock from Ipswich to Liverpool Street, Dodgy pint in Kensington (ok maybe not their fault but will blame them anyway!!).

[/quote]

I can identify with this.

Left Norwich on the 9-20 quite full train. Get to Stowmarket to find 3, yes 3 coaches to take everyone to 1p5wich. Were then told they''d have to order some more coaches, which they did. I asked if they were going to hold the train at 1p5wich, no was the reply which could have led to a 30 min to an hour wait for another train. Luckily we got to there and were told the train was leaving in 3 mins. Got on a totally rammed train. Loo didn''t flush, taps not working. People stood two abreast down the entire train from what I can make out.

Got even better on the way back. They had put togther 2 four unit trains, giving 8 coaches.

Pulled out of Liverpool Street at 8-30 just to be told the toilets on the back four coaches were locked. No problem, head for the front of the train. As they were four unit trains you could only get to the front of the fourth coach with no access to the front of the train. Great. Arrive at Chelmsford where half the people from the back run down the platform to get into the front just so they can use the loo.

Unbelieveably it got better.

This fairly full train pulls into Ipswich just to find there is one, yes ONE coach waiting to take us to Stowmarket. There is a second coach in darkness, as the driver has got to take a break before he can continue driving. One guy asks if we can get onto the coach, yes says the driver. One guy in a high viz jacket rushes over to the coach and tells the driver not to let people on as they are not at the front of the queue. At this point the driver changes his story by intimating that everyone had ''stormed the coach'' and he promptly manhandles my daughter off the coach.

Again more coahes have to be ordered, and the Transport Police roll up, I assume the station manager who looked about 14 was now starting to feel the wrath of the crowd. More coaches arrive (they had only ordered one because they didn''t know how many they would need. Which was the same excuse we were given at Stowmarket in the morning), and we finally make the 10 mile journey to Stowmarket. We get there at 10-40 to be told the train will leave at 11-30. So there we are, a deserted station with no toilets. Again, they excelled themselves by putting a 4 coach train on (more people had been coached in from 1p5wich after we had got there). Really stacked in, the train arrived at Norwich at 5 past midnight - 3 hours and 35 minutes after leaving London. Nearly twice as long as a normal journey for a 10 mile track closure. Missed our transport home (due to late arrival), and yes I will be claiming the taxi fare home as well as the full refund from Abellio.

When I booked the tickets ages ago, they said there was a bus transfer between Stowmarket and Ipswich, and it should be a minimal delay as opposed to changing at Cambridge. There was no one at Norwich to advise us to go via Cambridge on the day (although from what everyone else has said that looked equally as useless) or anyone at Liverpool Street to tell us to try going home that way. Amazingly the customer services office in Norwich was still open when we got back, it was being manned by a cleaner - I think the staff were hiding under the desk.

Words cannot describe how crap Abellio''s performance on Saturday was, and as I said earlier I shall be pressing for a full refund and taxi fare home. If any of you experienced anything similar I urge to to complain in the strongest terms and ask for your money back.

Got the 12:03 from Warwick to Marylebone. The 2 of us got a seat fine. The train was packed beyond belief at High Wycombe for the rugby match at Wembly. The train had to refuse passengers beyond High Wycombe as it was so full. Didn''t bother us though. We did, however, get to the ground 7 minutes late and so missed the 1st Fulham goal but we heard it !!The train back was fine as we went for a burger and a drink or 5 in the city and staggered back to get the last train back to Warwick at about 22:40-ish. Felt rather ill later that night !

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Best was that they held the outbound train at Downham over the same period, so there were two trains sat at either end of the single track stretch going nowhere.

Apparently the signal controller at Downham refused to authorise either to move in case he got it wrong. Loved the apology as we got into Lynn due to "a signal failure which is beyond the control of Network South East". What, you mean the people we''ve paid to move a train from one of the track to the other? Who''s fault was it then!

[/quote]I know we were definitely on the same train as I heard someone shouting at you on the platform at Downham! [:P] I got off there and the train held on the other side didn''t move after ours left, so I''m guessing it had to wait until the train behind us had come up as well. I can sympathise with the staff in a way as single-track sections are inherently bad news when you get any kind of problem - there must''ve been delays all night. (Why have we still got these??? Oh yes, because we''re the backwater end of the line.) But to fob us off with the "outside the control of First Capital Connect" (he announced that when we were stuck at Littleport as well) was annoying. I''m guessing they blame Network Rail for any track or signal issues; but to us as paying customers, what''s the difference really?I''ve filled out the delay repay form on the FCC website but not expecting much.Also, talking of spending a penny, I did exactly that to use the new loos at King''s Cross. Well, 30 of them to be precise. As some random guy in there said, "that''ll soon pay for your new f***ing roof!".

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Yep I drank far too much and got on the wrong train home. AGAIN . I''m driving to the everton game. Me + alcohol + trains = disaster[/quote]

And you + alcohol + driving = a better idea?!?!?![;)][:D]

"Got the 12:03 from Warwick to Marylebone" says K Lo.  With all due respect K Lo (and you may have your reasons), what are you doing leaving Warwick for the game as late as this ?  Complete suicide IMO, with all the potential congestion and delays that London has to offer.  Had you actually suffered any significant delays, you''d have been totally shafted.  You obviously like trying to beat the clock and incurring plenty of stress along the way.  IMO an away day is an entire day out, not a quick dash to arrive bang on 3pm, or in your case miss the start.  I''d just started my first pint in Putney at 12.03pm, having travelled from Norwich on the 8.20, and for the duration of your journey, was enjoying the hospitality of three very good Putney pubs.  Wise up dude.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Yep I drank far too much and got on the wrong train home. AGAIN . I''m driving to the everton game. Me + alcohol + trains = disaster[/quote]

And you + alcohol + driving = a better idea?!?!?![;)][:D]

[/quote] ha ha ha na sod that I will stick to fruit shoots on Saturday! ha

[quote user="Striker"]"Got the 12:03 from Warwick to Marylebone" says K Lo.  With all due respect K Lo (and you may have your reasons), what are you doing leaving Warwick for the game as late as this ?  Complete suicide IMO, with all the potential congestion and delays that London has to offer.  Had you actually suffered any significant delays, you''d have been totally shafted.  You obviously like trying to beat the clock and incurring plenty of stress along the way.  IMO an away day is an entire day out, not a quick dash to arrive bang on 3pm, or in your case miss the start.  I''d just started my first pint in Putney at 12.03pm, having travelled from Norwich on the 8.20, and for the duration of your journey, was enjoying the hospitality of three very good Putney pubs.  Wise up dude.[/quote] spot on but then you end up pissed as a fart and getting the wrong train home like me! Who''s the daft one then?

Took the 8.20 to Liverpool St, which meant coach transfer at Stowmarket (to 1p5wich).  We were at the back of the crowd for the coaches, of which they''d laid on five.  All five got filled, with at least 50 people stranded (us included), and no sign of extra coaches.  A light bulb moment presented itself, and four of us got in a waiting taxi, and for £6 each took us to 1p5wich.  This was £6 well spent, as it meant we still caught the right connecting train and didn''t waste pre-match drinking time etc.  I fully sympathise with the 50+ stranded people at Stowmarket, and hope they weren''t heavily delayed.  It''s just very very poor that in this day and age they can''t predict how many coaches they''ll need from advance rail ticket sales.  Amateurs and clowns.The return journey passed with little problem.  This time we made sure we weren''t at the back for getting on the coaches at 1p5swich.  Sounds like those on the 8.30 had a real shocker.  I offer my sincere sympathies, and hope you get every penny of compensation.

http://www.abellio.com/uk/greater_anglia.html

Greater Anglia is committed to delivering public transport services
that serve our clients and consistently exceed our passengers’ and

stakeholders’ expectations. We aim to achieve this by focussing on:

• Improving the on board travel experience, punctuality
    and availability of trains.

• Improving facilities at stations with a focus on comfort,
    safety and security.

• Becoming a major contributor within the communities we serve.

• Begin joining up rail services with other modes of transport

ENJOY!

Had a trouble free journey to and from London but the group i was with all live near Reading. Met several different sets of fans (Reading, West Ham, Palace and Forest)(spurs as well oddly not sure where they were going,a day early!)

As someone who commutes to London from Cambridge and travels to every home game on the train, I sympathise.  The problem is that whilst Cambridge has two electrified routes into London which are designed for large amounts of commuter traffic, the Cambridge to Norwich line isn''t either of these.  It wasn''t that long ago that there were no direct services Cambridge<>Norwich, and when they did come [back] in a few years ago, they were nearly all two unit diesels whereas now they''re nearly always three.  The service just isn''t designed for large amounts of passengers that something like a football match creates.  I''ve been saying for ages that on football days they should run some additional services, especially when the London to Norwich line is out and they send everyone up via Cambridge, but they can''t run more than three units in a train and they don''t seem to be able to run any extra services.It''s probably worth pointing out here that the problem is likely to be much worse for the Spurs game with Norwich to London services not running due to engineering works, and Greater Anglia sending everyone via Cambridge again.  The speical service from Cambridge is due to stop at Northumberland Park (which is handy) but it looks like the Norwich<>Cambridge service will be really busy again.  They''ve put on an extra Cambridge<>Norwich service and it''s worth planning now!  Details of the services for the Spurs game:http://www.greateranglia.co.uk./about-us/news/2012/03/extra-train-for-spurs-v-norwich-on-easter-monday-9-aprilSB