Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

Straw Poll time - Who do you want to be the next England manager?

I''d be massively suprised if Harry Redknapp wasn''t named as the next England manager, either part or full time. But even though he''s the popular choice, who would you like to see take the top job and why?

Thanks JC. Helpful.I''d prefer to see Stuart Pearce named as the next full time manager, he''s knows the England setup, has Premier League experience and is a former England Captain.

Well, you''ve got two options.  Stick with the older players, or say out with the old, in with the new, and target the next World Cup.  If it''s out with the old, in with the new, then I''d go for Stuart Pearce, as he''s been around the England set-up for years, and knows the younger players.If we''re sticking with the disaster waiting to happen that is the older generation, who seem to like themselves even less than they like each other, then you need a scapegoat.  Someone you can get out the door before the World Cup qualifiers start.  Maybe a Southgate or a McClaren type.  Admit defeat before the tournament has begun, let them take the brickbats from the press and then rebuild afterwards.Or maybe, just maybe, Guus Hiddink could do the job for 6 months and work wonders.  He has everywhere else.

[quote user="Jonzey"]Thanks JC. Helpful.

I''d prefer to see Stuart Pearce named as the next full time manager, he''s knows the England setup, has Premier League experience and is a former England Captain.
[/quote]

I''m not sure who I''d like to see do it but Stuart Pearce would be quite a long way down the list.

Rafa Benitez for me, still lives in country, tactically aware, can make teams punch above weight, achieved a champions league win with a load of rubbish Houllier signings, can speak the language fluently. Also has a knack of winning tight games as proved with battles against Chelsea while at Liverpool.

I don''t want Harry Redknapp btw, just another Keegan. Carried to job on a tide of euphoria an will end with same limitations. All he''s won is an FA Cup with a team bought at vast expense to Portsmouth.

He is being championed because he is English that is all, if he was foreign with his record we wouldn''t have given him two glances as a prospect.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Well, you''ve got two options.  Stick with the older players, or say out with the old, in with the new, and target the next World Cup.  If it''s out with the old, in with the new, then I''d go for Stuart Pearce, as he''s been around the England set-up for years, and knows the younger players.If we''re sticking with the disaster waiting to happen that is the older generation, who seem to like themselves even less than they like each other, then you need a scapegoat.  Someone you can get out the door before the World Cup qualifiers start.  Maybe a Southgate or a McClaren type.  Admit defeat before the tournament has begun, let them take the brickbats from the press and then rebuild afterwards.Or maybe, just maybe, Guus Hiddink could do the job for 6 months and work wonders.  He has everywhere else.[/quote]I''d love to see a new manager come in with a fresh attitude. Get rid of Terry completely, the guy''s a prat and the whole team probably hates him by now, and do what Germany did in 2010. Promote the kids and start again! There''s a pretty talented generation coming through who would complement the likes of Rooney. No quick fixes like Hiddink, this is a perfect opportunity to build from a new platform with an Englishman like Pearce.

whatever happened to the journos of a few years ago who were touting bryan robson for the england managers job. i think it should be a partnership, an older venables/redknapp type with pearce/southgate to give a totally diferent perspective otherwise we could end up with the same old same old.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Trevor Brooking for me please.[/quote]I''m sure you mean that tongue in cheek YS, but I actually agree with the principal. Why are our older managers not rated, yet the likes of Capello and Trapattoni can still demand multi million pound deals? I doubt they have any more knowledge than Venables or Brooking for example

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]Argentina employed Maradona perhaps we could employ Gazza.[/quote]

Becks would make more sense, as long as he had one (not multiple like Maradona) assistant who knows the game tactically, because Becks probably isn''t up to that side of the game, but dealing with the media and players he would probably be pretty good.

I would have said Pearce before - use his knowledge of the U-21 players and try to develop a team like Germany did when they brought in Low. However, Low has something Pearce doesn''t - ability.

England U-21s showed everything that has been wrong with English football for the past 20 years or so. Their main tactic was to be bigger and stronger than everyone else, none of them seemed to be able to pass a ball and they had Mannciene in midfield! Pearce lost all my respect with that horror showing. It would have been something to play ugly and be successful, or play well and fail - but he went ugly and failed.

I can''t see whoever takes over before the Euros changing things much, not enough time to get younger players involved in the team. The same old faces will be there again.

Colin! 

- passionate, English, experienced at dealing with knobs, succesful at galvanizing clubs to win something (sheff u and qpr promotions), media darling   -  so  he has all the qualifications!! 

I''m only half joking too..................

[*-)]

Pearce ruled himself out a couple of months ago. Harry for me. Win English, lose English. Appoint the best English man for the Job every time. But if we really had to have a foreigner I Wud have morhinho.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Pearce ruled himself out a couple of months ago. Harry for me. Win English, lose English. Appoint the best English man for the Job every time. But if we really had to have a foreigner I Wud have morhinho.[/quote]Did Pearce rule himself out? He''s still 6/1 second favourite.I agree with the win English, lose English. If we''re going to go for another foreigner it would have to be somebody available, Mourinho''s contract would cost the best part of 20 million to buy out at Madrid I''d guess, AVB''s was 15 mill at Porto apparently!

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Yep he was on talk sport a couple of months back saying he is not experienced enough. He almost laughed it off[/quote]Well I just saw Harry Redknapp collared by the paps on the news, from his Range Rover he said words to the effect he was committed to Spurs and he hadn''t even thought about the England job. They always talk out of their a*se. Pearce would take it in a heartbeat if it was offered.

Your probably right. I reckon rednapp wants it. He is gonna talk it down. He is still spurs boss. It''s if the fa would be prepared to appoint him in my eyes. Although he was found not guilty , he is not the squeaky clean character the fa normally attempt to appoint. Rednapp is the modern day venables

I think Capello showed that being a top club manager still leaves a learning curve for international tournaments.  Mclaren showed that being a decent club manager is not enough to be England manager.

Redknapp might work out, given time, but he could equally be another Mclaren.

I''d like to maximise the chances of England winning so I''d want a manager with a track record of winning international tournaments.  Sadly there''s no chance given the flak that''s guaranteed from the English press and the line they''ve been pushing that it must be someone English.

There''s an outside chance that someone like Redknapp will come in and the honeymoon with the press will cover the Euros and we might get a decent tournament run.  But I''m pessimistic and very disappointed that Capello has gone.

There was an interesting piece by Rod Little in last Sunday''s paper that the "campaign" to undermine England at the Euros was already underway which had too much truth for my liking.  I think our newspapers are a real handicap to our national side (which needs all the help it can get, frankly).

[quote user="Jonzey"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Trevor Brooking for me please.[/quote]I''m sure you mean that tongue in cheek YS, but I actually agree with the principal. Why are our older managers not rated, yet the likes of Capello and Trapattoni can still demand multi million pound deals? I doubt they have any more knowledge than Venables or Brooking for example[/quote]Actually no- I mean it! Good results at West Ham on the whole, knows the setup inside out, commands huge respect, level headed and huge passion for the England football team.Errr- can''t think of anyone who ticks the boxes quite so well.

Redknapp worries me as he has always struck me as someone who has to try a lot of players to get results. Doesn''t seem to be able to pull a performance from those available- I don''t think the international game with it''s limited number of fixtures lends itself to that way of working.Not saying that Brooking is this guy but...We need someone who can pick on form and make them gel rather than trying to get a settled squad regardless of form.I want the next England manager to be one who will not pick Ferdinand, Terry and Cahill now but might do next time. Someone who will have an idea of who the best players in the country are right now but that doesn''t mean they are on a plane in June.There should be fewer players with 50+ caps and more with under 10 come the end of peoples careers. Not out of principle but out of common sense to me!

I don''t see the England managers job being the right position for a day to day manager. When you look at what the role entails, it would be much better suited to a modern day coach. The england manager needs to be able to Scout and Coach as well as manage, for me the right man for the job would be David Platt from Man Citeh, or to a lesser extent Brian Kidd.