Sign in to follow this  
Yella Foreva

Craig Mackail-Smith turns down prem team!

http://www.teamtalk.com/championship/7000651/Hammers-join-Mackail-Smith-race

With Lambert wanting to get all his signings in early do you think we could be the club that Craig Mackail-Smith has rejected?

No, Lambert got Vaughan and Morison in weeks ago and if reports are to be believed we had a bid rejected for Morison in January way before our interest in CMS developed. It therefore seems as though Lambert successfully managed to get in his first choice strikers which were Vaughan and Morison and I would have thought that CMS no longer became a target.

Agree with Alysha -don''t think we were in for CMS once we''d got Vaughan. We don''t need JV and CMS. Vaughan is our CMS, and a better bet i''d have said too.

I personally think we are still after 1 more striker. I dont believe Lambert will play Martin this year as i think something has happend behind closed doors. I guess that only Holt, Morison, Vaughan and Jackson are in his mind for the premier league next year which to me leaves us 1 light.

For what its worth ( Which is probably not much ) I would like someone like Jay Rodriguez here next year.

I bet it was us. Lambert saying we were OK up front could have been a classic smokescreen. Also, seems like we are one of the few Prem teams looking to complete as much business as possible in the next couple of weeks. I wonder what other team out there would give a player a June 21 deadline to make up their mind? Seems quite early, no?

I have never seen a quote from CMS stating that he would be happy to sign for us, have you got a link?

Got a feeling this was probably an assumption from most fans.

Delia''s Devonshire Dirtbox "didn''t he say in January that he''d love a move to Norwich but if it didn''t happen he''d stay and give his all for Boro anyway?"

Yeah but wasn''t this in March? Just before we signed Pacheco and Vokes on loan.

☆alysha☆ wrote the following post at 22/06/2011 4:20 PM:

Delia''s Devonshire Dirtbox "didn''t he say in January that he''d love a move to Norwich but if it didn''t happen he''d stay and give his all for Boro anyway?"

Yeah but wasn''t this in March? Just before we signed Pacheco and Vokes on loan.

He may well of said that but i definately did not read that article. The ony quotes i saw from CMS was him saying that he would love a move to the prem but if it did not happen he would give is all for Posh. There was no direct quote to Norwich.

What astounds me about all this is Mr Fry''s total lack of professionalism - he comes across as a combination of a London barrow boy and the spiv from Dad''s Army.

I wouldn''t be surprised if D McN got so fed up with dealing with type of character that he just walked away.

I would certainly be pretty peed off if I was CMS or indeed any other player, with the opportunity of playing in the Premiership, by being put on some sort of fish market type auction by Mr Fry. (By comparison, he actually makes agents look good!)

He could''ve turned down someone else in the hope we would still come in for him. He wouldn''t need to relocate for us.

On the other hand he may have turned us down having seen we already have 7 strikers on our books and figured he won''t get regular football.

OR we haven''t even been in for him at all.

"He may well of said that but i definately did not read that article. The ony quotes i saw from CMS was him saying that he would love a move to the prem but if it did not happen he would give is all for Posh. There was no direct quote to Norwich."

I think the article was something along the lines of that he hoped something could be agreed between Norwich and Peterborough, if not then he wouldn''t let it affect him etc. So he was talking in relation to us, but of course as you say it could have been any Premiership team and he could of said the same thing; I''m sure the fact that Norwich isn''t that far away from Peterborough must have been quite appealing though.

I think other areas of the squad need to be strengthened before another striker, defence , midfield and another goalkeeper to back up/challenge Ruddy. added to Lambert needing to save some cash for an emergency in January and i cannot see us having a spare £3m for CMS

ABC -

I''ve never heard anyone from London speak like Fry does since the demise of ration books. 1950''s mockney if ever I''ve heard one..

I have a theory on this one. I think we want CMS but only at the right price and I think CMS really wants to play for us. I think he knows we have made an offer on him and thats the one he wants but fat Barry wants him to go elsewhere because of a better offer. I think CMS is prepared to say its Norwich or nowhere and hope that Peterborough let him go where he wants to go. He knows that they will get nothing for him next summer and is willing to call their bluff and risk staying with Peterborough next season. After all, he would be playing in the Championship this season, which isn''t too shabby. My bet is that he comes here or goes nowhere (so he walks for free next summer) and Barry won''t like it one little bit.

If my guess is correct Delboy Fry is starting to realise what happens when you try to take on practically every club in the land over a player sale.

With CMS refusing the only club that has had a bid accepted by posh (Well I presume this is the case) he has no options left. Maybe if Wideboy Fry picks up his phone and grovels - in a woman''s voice - to McN and Lambert then we might (MIGHT) be willing to offer him £1mill for CMS.

I agree with the Captain and PMY. It all seems incredible but I think this is exactly what is going on and a certain McNasty is loving every bit of it!!

watch this space , still think & hope ???? cms is coming to city . would be a great signing , makes you out of breath just watching him tear about !!!! he is on red bull . would definately score goals , let holty batter the centre halfs and bring cms on for last 20mins !!!! terry & vidic would ???? themselves !!!

I''m guessing it wasn''t us.Although QPR were supposed to have put in a bid and CMS is from the London area I don''t think he''ll end up there. Behind-the-scenes rumblings down there doesn''t sound too good. Wigan were also allegedly in the frame but comparing us and our immediate prospects to the attractions of Wigan surely makes them a non-starter.Russell Martin would have bigged up NCFC no end after what''s happened to him here so if we are still interested in him it might all come down to wages in the end. If another outfit comes up with a stupidly good contract then he''d be a fool not to take it and I say good luck to him and them.Whatever happens I can''t see him not being a Premiership player come August.

I guess that why it has taken so long to sort out since the end of the season, is because Bazza and Dazza at Peterborough have had to try and sift through all (12 or more wasn''t it?) the different Clubs who wanted CMS.

Wow those two have been busy.........................

Surely it is near an end now, because they both deserve a holiday me thinks after all that

[quote user="alysha"]I''d rather we left CMS alone and spend the money elsewhere[/quote]Me too... over-rated rubbish and we have 5 strikers who are miles better than him at the club already!I think he would''ve been a desperation buy if we had have loaned him n March and if we had have been lucky enough to have got him then we would still be sitting in the Championship.This craving for CMS is getting as ridiculously funny as those who believe that Cody can cut it in the Premiership! [:$]

Im sure I have watched an interview saying he was sad his move to Norwich didnt come off and that he wanted to join us, but would do his best for P''boro.

I dont think we are the club he turned down. I think we have cooled our interest in him after signing JV and SM. I think having 5 strikers for 2 and possibly even 1 starting slot would be too much, meaning someone would soon be unhappy. Looks like we will have one of GH/SM with JV/SJ, not forgetting Chrissy, Cody, Oli and Wilbs.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="alysha"]I''d rather we left CMS alone and spend the money elsewhere[/quote]

Me too... over-rated rubbish and we have 5 strikers who are miles better than him at the club already!

I think he would''ve been a desperation buy if we had have loaned him n March and if we had have been lucky enough to have got him then we would still be sitting in the Championship.

This craving for CMS is getting as ridiculously funny as those who believe that Cody can cut it in the Premiership! [:$]
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly! At the end of the day, Cody only has a year remaining on his contract and was not in Lambert''s plans in League 1 and I very much doubt that scoring goals in League 2 will make Lambert believe he is all of a sudden good enough for the Premiership. Regardless of what people think on here it is Lambert''s opinion which matters and if he doesn''t think Cody has an immediate future here then I would rather we sell him now, as opposed to him walking away on a free next summer.

With reagrds to CMS, it appears he was another option in March to help us secure promotion after our failed attempt of getting Morison in January. In the end, the loan additions of Pacheco and Vokes completed the squad to get the job done and saved us money which we would have spent on CMS. Now for this season Lambert has got Morison aswell as Vaughan in early, I believe if CMS was Lambert''s first choice he would be here by now and I would presume our interest in him dropped since the arrivals of Morison and Vaughan and rightly so, we seem well equiped up front now, lets save the money for other areas.

[quote user="Smudger"]Me too... over-rated rubbish and we have 5 strikers who are miles better than him at the club already!

I think he would''ve been a desperation buy if we had have loaned him n March and if we had have been lucky enough to have got him then we would still be sitting in the Championship.

[/quote]Hmm! I think I''ve got it smudger. Paul Lambert wanted to spend £2m on that over-rated rubbish  CMS because he was desperate but was foiled in his bid to keep us in the Championship when Peterborough held out for £3m. So, it''s Peterborough''s fault we are in the Prem and Lambert is lucky he''s still got a job.

I just wish you were our manager smudger, we''d have won the Champions League and the World Cup by now..... 

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Me too... over-rated rubbish and we have 5 strikers who are miles better than him at the club already!I think he would''ve been a desperation buy if we had have loaned him n March and if we had have been lucky enough to have got him then we would still be sitting in the Championship.

[/quote]Hmm! I think I''ve got it smudger. Paul Lambert wanted to spend £2m on that over-rated rubbish  CMS because he was desperate but was foiled in his bid to keep us in the Championship when Peterborough held out for £3m. So, it''s Peterborough''s fault we are in the Prem and Lambert is lucky he''s still got a job.

I just wish you were our manager smudger, we''d have won the Champions League and the World Cup by now..... 

[/quote]Glad you can now see that is exactly what happened Lapps.Now how about taking that bet about all of our first 5 strikers doing better than Craig Mackail-Smith over the next few years???

Don''t talk like that about our Cody smudger, you''ll have that mr moy on your back before you know it!

[quote user="Buckethead"]Q.P.R[/quote]That seems to be the case judging by the chatter on the QPR boards. If so, we will  be able to directly judge if this was a lucky escape or missed opportunity for us or in terms ofwhether he makes the grade in the PL. It will certainly be interesting to compare Morrison vs Graham vs CMS at each of the promoted teams and for roughly similar transfer values give or take £0.5M.