Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Would you spend 12m to get Kevin Nolan here for 4 years?

Because that''s the type of equation that Fulham, West Ham, QPR, West Brom  and Stoke are reportedly prepared to look at.

I reckon he''d be a great leader and ''marquee player'' as they put it these days. He''s 28 now and has been tremendous at both Bolton and Newcastle in my view.

OTBC

Reading certain internet news stories about West Hams rejected offer, they apparently want £4 million for him, in my eyes, is a bargain. I was going to mention it a few days ago. I don''t think anyone would say it was a bad signing to be honest. Only negative is his wages might be quite high.

I''ll ask you your own question Bly......

"Would YOU spend 12m to get Kevin Nolan here for 4 years?"

If the answer is yes.....

...Thanks! [:D]

It really does make me laugh when people say no to most of the players mentioned on here because

1. He''s a big time charlie

2. He''s too old or past it

3. Too expensive

4. The player will not fit in

etc etc etc.........

Will these be the same people that slate the club for not being ambitous and spending enough? Arguing the club should have taken a risk on certain players?

At the end of the day if we don''t try and sign a couple of players like Nolan we will seriously struggle. Nolan is an unrealistic signing simply because he will sign for a well established top half premier club, However if the chance was there to sign Nolan I would certainly take him.

Well in the universe that is Premiership football, would anyone really pay 16 million for either Jordan Henderson or Phil Jones, bother over inflated by 12 million in my view.

Of course Nolan is a fantastic player but would he guarantee keeping us up and you would require to splash out 4 million on transfer fees and 4 million on one years wages, that''s a huge chunk of our budget for one player.

No I''d rather go for Shane Long for that sort of money with a smaller wage demand.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="mikewalker"]

In a word, no thankyou

[/quote]

Why not Mike?

OTBC

[/quote]

in no particular order...

- he''s never lived down south/east, might not settle

- he''s on big wages, clearly above our wage ceiling

- he''s best played as an attacking mid off a single striker, coming late into box onto crosses/knockdowns/scraps, which makes the purchases of Morrison, Vaughan etc wasteful if we''re going 1 up front to accomodate him

- so...he''s awful as one of a centre midfield pair as he has no pace, not an especially tough tackler, lacks defensive positioning skills, not much of a passer, likely to wander up

- is he really ''hungry'', the type we want? He''s got no point to prove in the prem and will never join a bigger club than his current one.

- £12m is mental money for transfer and wages of a 28 year old chubby goalhanger.

[quote user="lincoln canary"] At the end of the day if we don''t try and sign a couple of players like Nolan we will seriously struggle.[/quote]

We have a whole season to see if you are right.

In theory Nolan would be an ideal player but not for that money.

If the fee was around 4 million and a wage acceptable to McNally then perhaps Lambo would consider him.

Not sure what Nolan''s character is like but he strikes me as an ideal leader in his area of the pitch.

Of course this isn''t going to happen is it?

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]In theory Nolan would be an ideal player but not for that money. If the fee was around 4 million and a wage acceptable to McNally then perhaps Lambo would consider him. Not sure what Nolan''s character is like but he strikes me as an ideal leader in his area of the pitch. Of course this isn''t going to happen is it?[/quote]

No, I don''t suppose it is Bury.

A clarification. My figure of 12m included a transfer fee of 3-4m which has been estimated as realistic and his ''wages'' (of say 40-50,000 weekly) over the 4 year contract period.

What I hope for is a couple of players of his level buying into Project Lambert to give the team nodes of unquestioned Prem-level ability, knowhow and experience.

But like you I don''t expect it to happen.

OTBC

[quote user="lincoln canary"]It really does make me laugh when people say no to most of the players mentioned on here because 1. He''s a big time charlie 2. He''s too old or past it 3. Too expensive 4. The player will not fit in etc etc etc......... Will these be the same people that slate the club for not being ambitous and spending enough? Arguing the club should have taken a risk on certain players? At the end of the day if we don''t try and sign a couple of players like Nolan we will seriously struggle. Nolan is an unrealistic signing simply because he will sign for a well established top half premier club, However if the chance was there to sign Nolan I would certainly take him.[/quote]

I agree

I''ve been having the same argument on another thread...

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]A clarification. My figure of 12m included a transfer fee of 3-4m which has been estimated as realistic and his ''wages'' (of say 40-50,000 weekly) over the 4 year contract period.

[/quote]Just over a month ago Lambert said  "But people should get out of their brain that we’re going to get people in on 50 grand and 60 grand a week. That will never happen".

Lest we forget....

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Because that''s the type of equation that Fulham, West Ham, QPR, West Brom  and Stoke are reportedly prepared to look at.

I reckon he''d be a great leader and ''marquee player'' as they put it these days. He''s 28 now and has been tremendous at both Bolton and Newcastle in my view.

OTBC

[/quote]

Whilst I find myself not often agreeing with you, I think the idea of a marquee type signing is a good idea.  I don''t want us to throw our money around, but I guess I was hoping maybe Snodgrass would come and add a bit of class, or anyone of that ilk, Nolan I think would be another good signing. The only problem is getting them here as we can''t quibble over price too much - No one is going to give their skillful players away for 1 or 2 mil unless its someone like Bennett with someting to prove having not even played in the Champ.

I know Kevin Nolan is never going to come here and for that sort of ridiculous money Lambert wouldn''t even bother with a second look but I would have him here in a flash if he was cheaper.  If we continued to sign the sort of players that we already are and got a Kevin Nolan type player then we would be well on the way to survival.  Thats not saying that we wont stay up without players like him or he would completely guarentee survival but I think we would be much further from the possibility releagtion with someone like him.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]A clarification. My figure of 12m included a transfer fee of 3-4m which has been estimated as realistic and his ''wages'' (of say 40-50,000 weekly) over the 4 year contract period.

[/quote]Just over a month ago Lambert said  "But people should get out of their brain that we’re going to get people in on 50 grand and 60 grand a week. That will never happen".

Lest we forget....

[/quote]

Lest we forget, indeed.

My question is ''would you'' not ''will Lambert''.

But still. One love.

OTBC

[quote user="mikewalker"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="mikewalker"]

In a word, no thankyou

[/quote]

Why not Mike?

OTBC

[/quote]

in no particular order...

- he''s never lived down south/east, might not settle

- he''s on big wages, clearly above our wage ceiling

- he''s best played as an attacking mid off a single striker, coming late into box onto crosses/knockdowns/scraps, which makes the purchases of Morrison, Vaughan etc wasteful if we''re going 1 up front to accomodate him

- so...he''s awful as one of a centre midfield pair as he has no pace, not an especially tough tackler, lacks defensive positioning skills, not much of a passer, likely to wander up

- is he really ''hungry'', the type we want? He''s got no point to prove in the prem and will never join a bigger club than his current one.

- £12m is mental money for transfer and wages of a 28 year old chubby goalhanger.

[/quote]

Good grief.

With a reference like that who will take him on?

But, I wonder.........

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]My question is ''would you'' not ''will Lambert''.

[/quote]No sensible City fan would go down this road. You only have to look at the situation at Hull with Jimmy bullard to see your suggestion is daft. If we were relegated, the £12m you talk of would be the whole of the first years parachute payments gone in one go.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]My question is ''would you'' not ''will Lambert''.

[/quote]

No sensible City fan would go down this road. You only have to look at the situation at Hull with Jimmy bullard to see your suggestion is daft. If we were relegated, the £12m you talk of would be the whole of the first years parachute payments gone in one go.[/quote]

Better you stay with stuff you''re comfortable with.

One rather hopes that you can balance your bank account?

Dear oh dear

OTBC

Nolan having a medical at West ham after they agreed a fee, realistically, anyone think that West ham, in their position could afford to commit £6 million over 2 years, £9 over 3? 

I''d have taken him here...

some of you cleary have no idea about football, if we could AFFORD nolan i would have him here in a shot he scored 12 premier league goals last year, from midfield thats pretty impressive i will be impressed if any of our strikers score that amount, before i hear any of the usual crap, torres didnt even score that amount and odin whatever his name is for wba got 13 which is there highest ever for one player in the top flight. simples he would walk in to our team and i really cant believe he is going to west spam i can only assume its because of big sam, correct me if i am wrong and i well could be as i dont know, but did big sam take him to newcastle?

I think if we really want to stay up we are going to need a " marquee " signing or two , not sure we will manage it with what we have right now , the signings look ok for a Championship side but we look very light for the Premiership . Although didnt the 7 year plan allow for promotion and then relegation the next season ? .

I can''t see why Nolan would want to leave Newcastle and why they would be willing to offload one of their best players... then again they do have Alan Pardew managing affairs at St James'' Park!

If we could sign him we should...quality Premiership player year on year, combative midfielder who scores goals and holds the ball up well (something we will need to do this year).

The lad is pissed off with Pardew already and thinks the world of big Sam. This is not about money but a player who wants to play for a manager he likes and respects. The best news west Ham have had in Months

newcastle would of been in a relegation battle if it wasn''t for him, why sell him for £4m he still had 2 years on his contract