Sign in to follow this  
CRAZY LEGS

realistic shopping list for next season

First one Westwood? Is he a GK?

St Ledger, i''m not sure, he''s experienced but not sure he would really add any more talent to the defence.

O''Hara would be nice, but i would imagine he will be in demand, but he won''t stay at Wolves if they go down.

Nathan Clyne i don''t know much about.

Moses, hasn''t really done much at Wigan. I would have thought a consistent Championship striker would be more useful than a Wigan bench warmer.

Scott Sinclair would be a great signing, i would imagine a bit pricy, and again should be in high demand should Swansea fail to win play-offs.

Demba Ba. I don''t think so.

The problem is with all our guessing, is its so hard to guess what Lambert will want.

Kieran Westwood would be a quality addition.

Lewis McGugan made a decent impact at Carrow Road - I liked the look of him.

Shane Long may get higher-profile offers, but he would be terrific here.

Lansbury and Pacheco for a start. I don''t know whether they''re realistic targets or not to be honest, but Lansbury''s style of play in my opinion is more suited to the Premiership than the Championship, and you can see how much quality both these young players have - I really think we should have a look at trying to get them on a permanent contract (maybe we are?). The smart money would be on Lambert looking to bring in some players from the Bundesliga, they''d fit right into his style of play for obvious reasons and carry the all important work ethic. Interesting times ahead...

No one seems to have commented on my view on Lansbury. So i will say it again...

I don''t think he fits in the Arsenal style. He runs around too much for a start. And i think he tries to play too many killer balls. I think if Wenger has been watching him at all, he would be thinking Lansbury would need to change his style a fair bit to fit in there. Although he could have changed to fit in here of course.

Lansbury will never be a first team player at Arsenal, look at the players infront of him there.

Fabregas, Wilshire, Ramsay, Song, Diaby, Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky, Walcott, Denilson, Emmanuel-Thomas and Frimpong.

I think hes settle here and enjoys it, love to keep him.

Love it!

Wenger: "I dont sink we ave good enough young players at ze club

Coach: "What do you mean Arsene"?

Wenger " Well look at zat Lansbury, he runs around too much"

I know who''d be at the top of my shopping list. Leroy Lita.Quick, strong, eye for goal and Premiership experience of not so long ago scoring goals regularly for a decent Premiership side. Throw in Boro''s poor financial position and couple with his recent experience of playing at Carrow Road, I''d be on the phone to his agent immediately. Yes, the lad''s got an attitude and yes I understand his wages at Boro are probably too high for even us in the Premiership, but I think if a deal can be done, I would do it.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Do you see any other Arsenal player chase the ball like Lansbury does? No[/quote]Wilshire?

Even if he does. Two players younger than Lansbury are already ahead of him by quite a way (There are first team premiership players, well Ramsey was before he got injured, and i imagine will be playing some part in last 3 games, Lansbury is a championship player this season.) Surely Wenger will want to see him with a Premiership side before deciding if he''s good enough, or he will have already decided that he''s not good enough. (Bentley consistently went out on loan, and never really got in the Arsenal team, some players i think Wenger just hopes will improve)

I think we need to beware of  tinkering too much with a winning team. This is a side that has only lost two Championship games since Xmas, and looking at some of the creaky defences and mis-firing strikers near the bottom of the Premier League, I think we are easily up to that standard already. I still maintain that the biggest mistake made when we went up in 2004 was getting rid of Malky Mackay, and as it turned out it was our defence that let us down in the top flight. If there is an area to be looked at it is the way we give away too many careless goals, and (despite last night) our inability to keep clean sheets even at Championship level is rather worrying. Midfield and up front I really think we are just about there on both quality and depth.

Personally, i think we need around 7-9 players.  Remember we cant loan anyone in throughout the course of the season.

So, we need an experienced back up keeper.  Chris Kirkland is out of favour at Wigan and has plenty of experience and seems to have steered clear of injuries i think, also was at Leicester for a bit last season, so not afraid of a step down.

We''d need a RB and back up CB.  I''m a little short of ideas here

Midfield, Mcgugen is looking to step up, is he out of contract otherwise he''ll cost 7 figures.  Perhaps Peter Whittingham if Cardiff dont make it  Nigel Reo Coker could also be available, if his heads right, he''d be a good addition and wouldn''t cost too much.  Lansbury on loan for the season would be welcome too.  Not sure of Pacheco, he just looks a little lightweight, no doubt there is potential there, but not sure we could accomodate him.

Forwards, well i cant see Oli Johnson getting near the first team.  He''ll surely be sold.  Wilbraham, i dunno, felt a bit sorry for the lad, hes a trier, but ultimately just not quite good enough.  Chris Martin, theres quality there, he just didn''t take his chances and we cant afford to carry that and Cody Mac, no doubt hes had a great season, but i think it will be hard enough with almost the whole team stepping up let alone someone trying top jump 3 leageus.  I''d cash in on Cody, Oli and Wilbra and look to bring in perhaps someone like Borini for the season on loan, Nugent is out of contract and has played a fair amount of premier league football, albeit without scoring a lot.  Bothroyd is out of contract, but he''d be too much on wages.  What about Robbie Keane if West Ham go down?  I''m sure his wages would be a stumbling block, but fee wouldn''t be that high. 

[quote user="Power Hamster"]I think we need to beware of  tinkering too much with a winning team. This is a side that has only lost two Championship games since Xmas, and looking at some of the creaky defences and mis-firing strikers near the bottom of the Premier League, I think we are easily up to that standard already. I still maintain that the biggest mistake made when we went up in 2004 was getting rid of Malky Mackay, and as it turned out it was our defence that let us down in the top flight. If there is an area to be looked at it is the way we give away too many careless goals, and (despite last night) our inability to keep clean sheets even at Championship level is rather worrying. Midfield and up front I really think we are just about there on both quality and depth.[/quote]I certainly agree with that.I think what we need to do concerning the strongest area''s of our team (i.e. midfield and striking positions) is to look at a minor scale injection of quality, whilst retaining what''s there, which is what i gander Lambert will do. Losing the key elements that made our season what it is will be to the detriment of our team in the long term, just as it was the last time we were promoted to the Premier League.What we need to be is defensively orientated in the market. We were the top scorers in the league, though 7th (?) defensively, and so suggests our position was attained in spite of our flaws in that department.I''m entirely against an upheaval in any respect in our side, and it is of course worth understanding that we waive defensive duties at times for the sake of our attacking prowess, so the gap is more than probably smaller than is otherwise percieved through statistics. Nevertheless, it is an area worth enhancing in the face of stronger and more clinical opposition, and quite clearly best fit for improvement as we look to do so during the close season.

Henri LansburyA player capable of playing both LB / RBElliot BennettMax GradelConnor Wickham

Ok so the last one is a bit of a joke, but the other 4 I see as must buys.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]baked beans sausages oinions melon orange juice milk peanuts brown bread chicken breasts mince beef brocolli peas ben and jerrys ice cream lynx deodrant shower gel nuts weetabix special k bolonaise sauce chillis potatoes apples realistic enough?[/quote]

Lol!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Do you see any other Arsenal player chase the ball like Lansbury does? No[/quote]

Are you answering my questions for me?

[quote user="Power Hamster"]I think we need to beware of  tinkering too much with a winning team. This is a side that has only lost two Championship games since Xmas, and looking at some of the creaky defences and mis-firing strikers near the bottom of the Premier League, I think we are easily up to that standard already. I still maintain that the biggest mistake made when we went up in 2004 was getting rid of Malky Mackay, and as it turned out it was our defence that let us down in the top flight. If there is an area to be looked at it is the way we give away too many careless goals, and (despite last night) our inability to keep clean sheets even at Championship level is rather worrying. Midfield and up front I really think we are just about there on both quality and depth.[/quote]

in 2004 we only looked like staying up once Worthy recognised that he needed to LEAVE behind the core of the team that got promoted; once helveg replaced eddy, shackell came in, ashton started, safri for Holt; that was when we started winning games.

As for mackay, all worthy did was tell him he would not start; malky wanted 1st team football. Malky was never got rid of, he chose to leave and I can understand that, both worthy and malky were right.

Look at last season, we have a new keeper, 2 new centre backs, a new left back, 3 new midfielders and a new striker. That is a major overhaul in anyones books - and it is that overhaul that has got us promoted.

It will be the same next year; PL will look to buy players with the mentality, but as with last year he will also rebuild where he feels it is necessary - and I expect to see plenty of movement - but there core squad will be recognisable, and the mentality spot on.

But there will also be signings that dont work out - would jackson have got time to come good in a relegation battle in the prem, how many steven smiths will there be?

For me we need a spine transplant, a centre back, midfielder and striker as starters.

Knee jerk change is good - but what we will get is another PL evolution. If anyone can do it Lambert can. He is THE most exciting managerial talent about - and he is ours...

[quote user="lincoln canary"]baked beans

sausages

oinions

melon

orange juice

milk

peanuts

brown bread

chicken breasts

mince beef

brocolli

peas

ben and jerrys ice cream

lynx deodrant

shower gel

nuts

weetabix

special k

bolonaise sauce

chillis

potatoes

apples

realistic enough?[/quote]Much closer to reality than some of the silly suggestions on this thread.I''m willing to bet nobody mentioned on here will be among Lamberts targets.Leroy Lita, oh deary me. Thanks for your goal against Cardiff but you won''t ever play in the Prem again.

I wouldn''t mind betting that Paul Lambert has had a Premier League list and a Championship list for quite a few weeks and the Premiership list has been handed to David McNally today.

I hope (and expect) that we`ll stick largely to the policy which has worked so far- signing young,hungry,up and coming players rather than jaded has-beens. So,in order of preference.....

Long, McGuigan, R.Lambert, Graham, Sinclair, Kebe. To be honest the only defender we can realistically sign who`s really stood out for me has been Tate of Swansea.

[quote user="Harry"]I wouldn''t mind betting that Paul Lambert has had a Premier League list and a Championship list for quite a few weeks and the Premiership list has been handed to David McNally today.
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. Lambert likes to start business early and would have been well prepared for either division