Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Will Lambert change the team for Doncaster?

Will Paul Lambert stick with the same starting line up against Leeds or will he change it against Doncaster?  Docaster have conceded 13 goals in their last three matches, and we will not get a better chance to improve our goal difference if they continue to play like that.  With such a strong squad now I do not envy Lambert having to decide on his best starting 11 against a team who are leaking goals.  Personally I would go with the following :

Ruddy

Martin   Whitbread    Ward      Drury

Crofts

Lansbury     Hoolahan     Surman

Wilbraham   Holt

Subs: Steer, Tierney, Edwards, Fox, Smith, Jackson, McNamee

I would also give a few of the fringe players a game such as Tierney and Korey as well as start Surman. Hopefully Wilbraham will get a goal or two as he deserves them after his performances.

We still can''t go into the game expecting a 3/4-0 win as we will get punished but Lambert knows this obviously.

Don''t totally disagree with that, but I have noticed alot of people seem to leave Fox out of their ''fantasy XI''''s. Fox is a terrific ball player, nearly scored 3 times at Leeds on Saturday and is well worth his place for me at the moment, plus Surman is unlikely to get through the 90 at this early stage in his return.

More likely that Lambert will name the same team, with Surman coming on in the second half and Rob Edwards on the bench.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]

Don''t totally disagree with that, but I have noticed alot of people seem to leave Fox out of their ''fantasy XI''''s. Fox is a terrific ball player, nearly scored 3 times at Leeds on Saturday and is well worth his place for me at the moment, plus Surman is unlikely to get through the 90 at this early stage in his return.

More likely that Lambert will name the same team, with Surman coming on in the second half and Rob Edwards on the bench.

[/quote]

I was thinking more rest Crofts for Korey but couldn''t Surman be replaced by McNamee or someone after 60-70 mins.

Ruddy

Martin   Whitbread    Ward      Drury

Fox  Crofts

Lansbury                         Surman

Hoolahan    

Holt

To be honest, I don''t think Lambert should make any unforced changes at all. We have just got a good point away from home at Leeds and a good win vs Reading before that, so why change it, what kind of message would that give the players who have just got us 4 good points? Except possibly try Jackson instead of Wilby, and see what he can do, as people have said Doncasters defence isn''t exactly water tight, and a pacey striker such as Jacko could be a worry for them

[quote user="ryan1992"]To be honest, I don''t think Lambert should make any unforced changes at all. We have just got a good point away from home at Leeds and a good win vs Reading before that, so why change it, what kind of message would that give the players who have just got us 4 good points? Except possibly try Jackson instead of Wilby, and see what he can do, as people have said Doncasters defence isn''t exactly water tight, and a pacey striker such as Jacko could be a worry for them[/quote]

*cough* contradictive

I think this line up looks good, but I''d make two changes:Tierney for Drury - Simply because defensively this game should not be a challenge and it will let Tierney see our game plan in action with little pressure.Wes on the outside, with Lansbury in behind Holt - Wes is able to beat his man time and again down the line and whip in the cross, while Lansbury has a better shot from distance, so he should be in or around the top of the box.

I think we may see a few unforced changes mainly to rest a few, i expect Holt to start obviously but alongside Jackson, this may be with a view to giving Holt a rest and bringing Wilbraham on if we are have a good lead. There could also be a rest for crofts with Foz coming in. I too would like to see Tierney get a game and show what he has but it''s hard to comment if he should be thrown in here, depends how he''s been looking in training, but i am confident he will do a good job.I only think Lambert may rest a few players because in all honesty this is our most winnable game left, espicially with all their current injuries and it''s a better chance than any other game.

i would personally go with this:

--------------------ruddy-----------------

martin--edwards--whitbread--drury

--crofts-----------fox----------surman--

-----------lansbury--hoolahan----------

--------------------holt-----------------------

I Don''t think we should treat this game differently to any other. Yes, Doncaster are in terrible form and on paper should be easy to beat, but starting players like Tierney and Mcnamee because of this is to much of a risk at this stage of the season. I personally think Lambert will play the same team. The only change i can see Lambert maybe doing is bringing in Surman for one of the midfield four.

----------------------------- Ruddy ---------------------------------

Martin ------------Ward --------- Whitbread ----------Drury

------------------------------ Crofts ---------------------------------

---------------Lansbury ------------------- Fox ------------------

----------------------------- Hoolahan-------------------------------

----------------------Holt-----------------Wilbraham--------------

[quote user="Nibbles"]i would personally go with this: --------------------ruddy----------------- martin--edwards--whitbread--drury --crofts-----------fox----------surman-- -----------lansbury--hoolahan---------- --------------------holt-----------------------[/quote]

I think you''ve got to play two strikers against a depleted side who are there for the taking, I think its sending out the wrong message to play one up front ?!?

Lambert wont be complacent, put out strongest 11, probably same team from the leeds game, with maybe Surman coming back. This wont be any easy game, theres no such thing in this division. We cant afford to be complacent and just assume its an easy 3 points. I bet thats why the atmosphere will be awful tomorrow, when theres a game that everyone thinks is a guaranteed 3 points no-one really bothers to sing or make a lot of noise.

As Drury took a knock and had to come off against Leeds, I think Lambert may well give Tierney a start. I also think we will need 2 strikers as Doncaster are likely to park the coach in front of their goal. I would go with this:

----------------------------- Ruddy ---------------------------------

Martin ------------Ward --------- Whitbread ----------Tierney

------------------------------ Fox ---------------------------------

---------------Lansbury ------------------- Crofts ------------------

----------------------------- Hoolahan-------------------------------

----------------------Holt-----------------Wilbraham--------------

3 substitutes could be used to get Surman, Jackson and Smith more game time and rest others once a good lead is established. Donccaster didn''t manage a single shot on goal against Swansea.

Thinking about it a agree with Yellow Since 72 and Jacksons pace may be best utilised later in the game after Holt and Wilbraham have worn out the Donny defence

I may get shot down for this but would be inclined to put Edwards straight in for Ward, I was at Leeds Saturday as well as our home games and Ward has been consistenly poor. I thought Wilbraham did really well Saturday, but did not look a goal threat and with Doncaster leaking goals lately, I see this as Jackson''s chance to prove himself, get a goal and restore some confidence. The rest of the team I would keep the same with possibly of the inclusion of Surman to start if he is ready

Can''t believe the complacency on this thread.

We need to put our best team tomorrow and get a win.

If we assume they are there for the taking we''ll get our a***s handed to us.

Ruddy                        Martin Ward or Edwards Whitbread Drury                                                   Fox                                Crofts       Lansbury      Surman                                                Hoolahan                                                   HoltThis is my choice of formation, to allow Wes a free role, to go where he wants, and cause mayhem.

I thought Wilbraham did really well Saturday, what did he do well? if he''s not a goal threat then he''s not doing very well, seen him a few times now, not at Leeds admittedly, but looks a cart horse.

[quote user="hps2031a"]I thought Wilbraham did really well Saturday, what did he do well? if he''s not a goal threat then he''s not doing very well, seen him a few times now, not at Leeds admittedly, but looks a cart horse.
[/quote]

well in the first half Leeds were all over us, unlike most of our players Wilbraham was getting stuck in, winning tackles and was able to hold the ball up in their half, I know strikers are meant to be in threatening in front of goal, but he was making up for some of the jobs the other players should have been doing and out of the whole team he looked one of our best players, along with Crofts and Whitbread.

Why is Fox always the player dropped from these fantasy XI''s?

If anything, he''s the 1 who dictates our player and links everything, especially at home. I could understand perhaps people dropping him away from home where we maybe need more ball winners rather than ball players.

One of PL''s problems is that Doncaster will be playing lesser known players, because of their injury situatilon. All the work by observers to spot strengths and weaknesses over the last 10 days, and all the videos they may have, is out of the window.

As they will be partly an unkinown quantity, the bench will provide him with flexibility and possible change.

I expect Roberts to be on the bench, with Korey, Tierney, Gill,Surman and Jackson.

But PL does produce surprises!