Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Who do people think we are?

I was shocked by how many people around me towards the back of the Upper Barclay didn''t even bother to stand or celebrate at all when Holty scored with a decent finish during the first half.  Maybe they were waiting for his 5th goal, once Donny had totally rolled over and gifted us our biggest win for years.I think the midgames from the Donny chairman worked a treat, completely raised the City fans expectations.We''re 5th in the league, 3 points off second place and 5 clear of seventh.  Wake up and support the team.

i dont think anyone celebrated as much as normal as we expected to ease victory (well i did)!

The people infront of me, get to the game 1hr early, didn''t celebrate and left 10 early - whats the point..?

I experienced this in the last game I was at (Norwich vs Reading at home).

Midway through the first half I felt like asking the bloke sat next to me why he parted with cash to come to these games. He spent the first 25 minutes complaining about Grant Holt. Even stating "he''s always been rubbish".

Only thing he seemed to celebrate was his pie at half time.

Every home game about 6 young lads, can not wait for someone to make a mistake, few weeks ago it was Ruddy, before that R.Martin, even used to moan about Hucks... but they all adored Lee Croft!!! Says it all really, i suppose this is the new generation of football supporters we have!!

well i think this is endemic of English football fans in general.All we ever hear about is pace pace pace.Well Mr L.Croft could definitely out run me but a headless chicken is not whats needed in a football team.Perhaps people play FIFA so often that they have realised that the only way to beat a team os to 11 points better at sprint speed or such like.I imagine most people would agree that Lampard is quality.....yet is he quick? definitely not...he gets in the right place at the right time.People were always banging on about GErrard....yes he can run around a lot but who ran that Liverpool midfield? Alonso!Look how shite Liverpool are without ALonso in the side.....yet Gerrard is still playing is he not?There is no accounting for morons but if they really annoy you then try a little educating....I remember sitting behind the youth team a fair few years ago....was watching our midfield''s inability to open their eyes and play the correct option. I would call it and i distinctly remember a young K.Smith turn round and scowl at me....there you go...why isnt that boy in our first XI? He has a bit of pace,power,gets his foot in but he cant pass or shoot......same could be said of Lee Croft (apart from the fact that he couldnt even get his foot in).

[quote user="6088m canary"]well i think this is endemic of English football fans in general.All we ever hear about is pace pace pace.Well Mr L.Croft could definitely out run me but a headless chicken is not whats needed in a football team.Perhaps people play FIFA so often that they have realised that the only way to beat a team os to 11 points better at sprint speed or such like.I imagine most people would agree that Lampard is quality.....yet is he quick? definitely not...he gets in the right place at the right time.People were always banging on about GErrard....yes he can run around a lot but who ran that Liverpool midfield? Alonso!Look how shite Liverpool are without ALonso in the side.....yet Gerrard is still playing is he not?There is no accounting for morons but if they really annoy you then try a little educating....I remember sitting behind the youth team a fair few years ago....was watching our midfield''s inability to open their eyes and play the correct option. I would call it and i distinctly remember a young K.Smith turn round and scowl at me....there you go...why isnt that boy in our first XI? He has a bit of pace,power,gets his foot in but he cant pass or shoot......same could be said of Lee Croft (apart from the fact that he couldnt even get his foot in).

[/quote]agreed re pace! People think thats the be all and end all, Take David Beckahm though.. i bet over 100 metres many are quicker than him. most footballers probably are didnt do him much harm though did it.

Another thing that annoys me about the attitude of English fans was in full force last night: the hatred of possesion. I remember, quite clearly, in the first half that David Fox recieved the ball on the halfway line. He took a few seconds meassuring his options before passing back to Ward. In any other league this would be considered a smart move. This pass was booed. When Ward recieved the ball and smashed it long, to no one, there was applause. Crazy!

Completely agree with Gareth. The our centre backs/midfield start playing it easy with passes, people get so riled up it''s pathetic

we are Norwich, we are Norwich, Lambert is our king [:P]

In all seriousness though, like the above posters I also like it when we play it out from the back but in all fairness we only had a one goal cushion, and a number of times the back four passed it about, but not confidently and Doncaster closed us down to which we nearly ended up giving the ball away in front of goal or having to resort to booting it out for a throw in; this was when the fans around me became frustrated, myself included. It''s all well and good passing it about at the back, but we didn''t look confident in doing so which caused us a number of issues...I think someone mentioned it on another thread, even the defenders and Ruddy were arguing with each other at one point for the sticky situations they playing each other in. I like it when we play it about at the back, but last night the manner in which were doing so at times made me feel uneasy

[quote user="alysha canary_girl"]

In all seriousness though, like the above posters I also like it when we play it out from the back but in all fairness we only had a one goal cushion, and a number of times the back four passed it about, but not confidently and Doncaster closed us down to which we nearly ended up giving the ball away in front of goal or having to resort to booting it out for a throw in; this was when the fans around me became frustrated, myself included. It''s all well and good passing it about at the back, but we didn''t look confident in doing so which caused us a number of issues...I think someone mentioned it on another thread, even the defenders and Ruddy were arguing with each other at one point for the sticky situations they playing each other in. I like it when we play it about at the back, but last night the manner in which were doing so at times made me feel uneasy

[/quote]Well said Alysha... [Y]It isn''t difficult to see that the defence do not have much confidence in Fox''s ability to win a tackle at the base of the diamond if a move breaks down.  This leaves the defence very exposed and for a period of approx 10 mins at Elland Road on Saturday, they refused to pass the ball out to Fox in midfield, as he was simply being closed down too quickly and brushed off the ball too easily.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="alysha canary_girl"]

[/quote]

Well said Alysha... [Y]

It isn''t difficult to see that the defence do not have much confidence in Fox''s ability to win a tackle at the base of the diamond if a move breaks down.  This leaves the defence very exposed and for a period of approx 10 mins at Elland Road on Saturday, they refused to pass the ball out to Fox in midfield, as he was simply being closed down too quickly and brushed off the ball too easily.
[/quote]

I agree with Alysha too, spot on, but Smudger I cannot believe for one minute that poor passing at the back last night had anything to do with Fox.  

[quote user="Dan-NCFC"]Completely agree with Gareth. The our centre backs/midfield start playing it easy with passes, people get so riled up it''s pathetic[/quote]

It has always been like that though, I remember the days of Crook, Culverhouse, Bowen et al, we would be passing around in lovely triangles making the opposition chase shadows and a decent minority in the crowd would be screaming to get it forward/lump it up to the forwards

[quote user="Gareth"]Another thing that annoys me about the attitude of English fans was in full force last night: the hatred of possesion. I remember, quite clearly, in the first half that David Fox recieved the ball on the halfway line. He took a few seconds meassuring his options before passing back to Ward. In any other league this would be considered a smart move. This pass was booed. When Ward recieved the ball and smashed it long, to no one, there was applause. Crazy!
[/quote]

^^^^^^ [Y]

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="alysha canary_girl"]

[/quote]Well said Alysha... [Y]It isn''t difficult to see that the defence do not have much confidence in Fox''s ability to win a tackle at the base of the diamond if a move breaks down.  This leaves the defence very exposed and for a period of approx 10 mins at Elland Road on Saturday, they refused to pass the ball out to Fox in midfield, as he was simply being closed down too quickly and brushed off the ball too easily.[/quote]

I agree with Alysha too, spot on, but Smudger I cannot believe for one minute that poor passing at the back last night had anything to do with Fox.  

[/quote]Wherever did I say that Fox''s passing was at fault?Thing is Fox needs time and space on the ball to pick his pass.  When playing at the base of the diamond he rarely receives the time and space on the ball that he requires.  He often receives the ball facing his own goal with a striker or two right on his back.  He is not strong enough to then hold off the challenges which usually results in a panicked ball back to one of the centre halves or full backs, meaning that they have to then launch the ball forwards at the first opportunity as they are rapidly closed down by the opposition too.Fox has many attributes to his game, but for me it causes more cons for the team than it does pros when playing him at the base of the diamond.

I love a good lump upfield...It got plenty of goals for the likes of Ron Davies, Ted MacDougall, Hugh Curran and the like... and it''s much more exciting to watch than half a dozen passes ending up back with the goalkeeper.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="The gut"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="alysha canary_girl"]

[/quote]

Well said Alysha... [Y]

It isn''t difficult to see that the defence do not have much confidence in Fox''s ability to win a tackle at the base of the diamond if a move breaks down.  This leaves the defence very exposed and for a period of approx 10 mins at Elland Road on Saturday, they refused to pass the ball out to Fox in midfield, as he was simply being closed down too quickly and brushed off the ball too easily.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wherever did I say that Fox''s passing was at fault?

Thing is Fox needs time and space on the ball to pick his pass.  When playing at the base of the diamond he rarely receives the time and space on the ball that he requires.  He often receives the ball facing his own goal with a striker or two right on his back.  He is not strong enough to then hold off the challenges which usually results in a panicked ball back to one of the centre halves or full backs, meaning that they have to then launch the ball forwards at the first opportunity as they are rapidly closed down by the opposition too.

Fox has many attributes to his game, but for me it causes more cons for the team than it does pros when playing him at the base of the diamond.
[/quote]

You didn''t. It  was just the post you replied to seemed to explain so well about the passing at the back, I must have misunderstood that you were linking it to Fox forgetting how you reply to a post and then get your hot topic in.

I must admit, i was in the upper barclay and when holt scored I didn''t stand up but it was because I was trying

to sort my headphones out to listen to radio Norfolk because the crowd was getting on my nerves, the whole of the barclay used to sing but now it''s just the one block closest to the away fans and the snakepit. I wish the whole stadium sang, how intimidating would that be! but iys

not going

to happen. plus I''m not the kind of person to get a song going but wish I was. what was disapointing was the upper barclay clap to songs but nobody sings the words! it was like Paul lamberts green army! and the upper tier were just clapping?! what''s the point? oh and the grumbles for everything were shocking, I''m 16 and I know when good football is being played and Norwich always have a slow build up at home and all the passing around the back four is good I think! unless there is high pressure on us like somebody posted above. watch man utd and barcelona, all they do is play it around the back four and keeper for a lot of the time and I highly doubt the fans boo there! hopefully this mentality changes. and yes we desperately need a striker otherwise i can''t see where the goals will continue coming from. but I thought wilbraham had an alright game, worked his socks off! but during the last couple of minutes there was a goal mouth scramble and the ball richoched off wilbrahams shin and he literally had about half a secone to react (impossible unless you are messi) and a bloke behind me screamed "for gods sake wilbraham! put the ball in the bloody net!!" i was really disapointed in the atmosphere and hopefully in the coming weeks the fans get behind the team and we get back to our best.

Trust in Paul Lambert

OTBC

It''s clear that Lambert has been keen for us to adopt the quick passing and moving game of the continent. I for one am a big fan and it was delight to see that a league 1 team could pass teams off the pitch and that even with all the new faces Lambert has been insistent on us playing the same way. It certainly has paid off for us, like it does for almost every team that plays in that style.