Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report The AGM

As promised Ricardobrings you first news of the AGM. It was a big turnout tonight and although Ricardo arrived at ten past seven he only just got on the Car Park. I would estimate there were at least a thousand packed into the Norfolk Lounge.Alan Bowkett began with the order of business and after explaining the reasons for the various proposals we quickly moved on to voting and all resolutions were passed with barely a disenting hand raised against. Stephen Fry feigned relief as his own re-election was passed unanimously and to much applause from the crowd.Mr Bowkett presented a slide show with all the financial facts and figures the salient points of which are as follows. 1. The clubs finances were extremely precarious following relegation2. Restructuring of debt had taken place thanks to help from AXA and LBG. we had debt and interest payment holidays the upshot of which will lead to the debt being paid down by 2022 instead of 2018.3. There was £2.5 million of exceptional payments last year. £626k of which was fines and payments to Colchester for PL''s move to NCFC.4. 52 Prospective sugar daddies were approached and although interest was shown nobody came forward when asked the question "show me the money".5. The promise was made that all non core (non football) assets would be disposed off to pay down the debt.6. Catering profits exceed many Prem clubs entire catering turnover.There was lots of other financial stuff but basically it was that we had to get out of league one quickly and that we are £4 million better off by being in the championship.McNally also gave a slide show and these are the main points I remember.1. We want young hungry players not old has beens.2. No such thing as being promoted too soon. We have a seven year plan and are one year ahead of it.3. A Prem place is worth a minimum of £90 million. (£41 million for 20th place+ 4years of parachute payments, £17.7, £14.7, £8.5, £8.54. Ground capacity needs to be 35,000 if we want to stay in Prem5. We won''t extend ground without being sure of 2 years Prem payments.After hearing all that was said Ricardo is quite sure that this club is in very capable hands.The question and answer session produced the usual collection of attention seekers and can be quite funny if you haven''t seen it all before. Quite what PL thinks of some of these buffoons, God only knows but the guy has a great sense of humour and I get the feeling that he is very much attatched to our club. All in all Ricardo left feeling in good spirits.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]You''ve pretty much captured it in a nutshell Ricardo. I was one of those who hadn''t seen it all before but found it more interesting than expected.Can''t believe you''ve got home so quick and written this already, well done [:)][/quote]You can always rely on Ricardo, WITS.What did you think of the idiot at the end? We get that performance every year.

[quote user="The ſhroud of Turin"]Sounds more professional than the Doomy years.[/quote]Very much so. Alan Bowkett is very impressive and an exellent Chairman.I was struck by the professionalism and commitment of the entire board.

Thanks Ricardo.  Those figures for the Prem show why anybody that does not want promotion must be bonkers.   [:D]

[quote user="paul moy"]Thanks Ricardo.  Those figures for the Prem show why anybody that does not want promotion must be bonkers.   [:D][/quote]Yep no brainer even if we only survive one year, the transfer pot for the next year should ensure promotion again - just ask WBA

[quote user="paul moy"]Thanks Ricardo.  Those figures for the Prem show why anybody that does not want promotion must be bonkers.   [:D][/quote]Yes Paul. What was exciting was that they said they are prepared to push as hard as possible to give PL the resources to go for it this season.

Thanks Ricardo for the write up - it seems we actually have direction and an understanding.

What ridiculous questions were asked (in particular this final person)?!

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Any talk on a potential signing???[/quote]Nothing concrete mate.One thing I''ve just remembered is that they said it would cost £20 million to put another 8000 on the capacity (£2,500 per seat) and it would take 9 years before it paid for itself.The other thing is that we are opening centre''s of excellence outside the county to extend our reach for young players into London and the Midlands.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands WITS"]You''ve pretty much captured it in a nutshell Ricardo. I was one of those who hadn''t seen it all before but found it more interesting than expected.

Can''t believe you''ve got home so quick and written this already, well done [:)]
[/quote]

Which is why I am such a big fan of Ricardos'' match reports WITS. On any rare occasion that I have the joy of watching Norwich play I find that Ricardo''s assessment almost always is reflective of what I saw. Therefore, because I don''t normally have the benefit of seeing the games I really look forward to reading his report which, as you say here, he is so efficient in producing. 

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]Thanks Ricardo.  Those figures for the Prem show why anybody that does not want promotion must be bonkers.   [:D][/quote]

Yes Paul. What was exciting was that they said they are prepared to push as hard as possible to give PL the resources to go for it this season.
[/quote]

Aaron Wilbraham anyone? [:P]

[quote user="canary_girl"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]Thanks Ricardo.  Those figures for the Prem show why anybody that does not want promotion must be bonkers.   [:D][/quote]Yes Paul. What was exciting was that they said they are prepared to push as hard as possible to give PL the resources to go for it this season.[/quote]

[/quote]Yeah, I thought it CG, but didn''t have the nerve to ask.They also said they want to clean to stadium up so perhaps they got him in to do a bit of painting.

Thanks Ricardo for putting that up for those of us who couldn''t make it.[:)]

Were there really a 1000 people there, if so that must be an all time record although Archant''s report on the front page says more like 300 ??

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="canary_girl"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="paul moy"]Thanks Ricardo.  Those figures for the Prem show why anybody that does not want promotion must be bonkers.   [:D][/quote]

Yes Paul. What was exciting was that they said they are prepared to push as hard as possible to give PL the resources to go for it this season.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I thought it CG, but didn''t have the nerve to ask.

They also said they want to clean to stadium up so perhaps they got him in to do a bit of painting.
[/quote]

Hang on a mo !!  The transfer window is not closed yet...... [:P]

"1. We want young hungry players not old has beens"

Thank god that dictum doesn''t apply to contributors on here !

Cheers for the report Ricardo, pretty much how I thought things were. As a supporter who falls more into the latter group (above) I can honestly say that this is one of the most positive times I have seen at the club.

On the pitch we are playing the game with a level of commitment not seen for a long while. The exitement is there as is the expectation. Every game is played as if it is a cup final - which in many ways they are. The squad looks good with very few weak spots ie players not up to it. We seem to have developed the ability to not only locate good players from lower leagues but to bring out the best in them. Remember how ''awful'' Nelson, R Martin and Ruddy were supposed to have been - how Whitbread would never be fit or ever play for us again. No fanfares about any inprovement or return to the team - just a coaching staff getting on with the job.

Off the pitch there is a steely determination that has also not been seen for a long while. Fair play, the previous administration did built up the home support via attendances and developed many other areas of ''off pitch'' income. This lot have added the much needed iron fist into that velvet glove.

Great days to be a City fan.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Were there really a 1000 people there, if so that must be an all time record although Archant''s report on the front page says more like 300 ??

[/quote]A lot more than 300 CA. I did a rough count and it was much nearer 1000 than 300. All the seats were taken and there were lots standing at the back and up the bar. The Car Park was solid by 7.15.

[quote user="canary_girl"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The same Aaron Wilbraham who played a part in our vital equaliser on Saturday?

[quote user="City1st"]"1. We want young hungry players not old has beens"

Thank god that dictum doesn''t apply to contributors on here !

Cheers for the report Ricardo, pretty much how I thought things were. As a supporter who falls more into the latter group (above) I can honestly say that this is one of the most positive times I have seen at the club.

On the pitch we are playing the game with a level of commitment not seen for a long while. The exitement is there as is the expectation. Every game is played as if it is a cup final - which in many ways they are. The squad looks good with very few weak spots ie players not up to it. We seem to have developed the ability to not only locate good players from lower leagues but to bring out the best in them. Remember how ''awful'' Nelson, R Martin and Ruddy were supposed to have been - how Whitbread would never be fit or ever play for us again. No fanfares about any inprovement or return to the team - just a coaching staff getting on with the job.

Off the pitch there is a steely determination that has also not been seen for a long while. Fair play, the previous administration did built up the home support via attendances and developed many other areas of ''off pitch'' income. This lot have added the much needed iron fist into that velvet glove.

Great days to be a City fan.[/quote]Am in total agreement with all that. Having been attending AGM''s for over 30 years I think its amazing how far we have come. This board have my complete confidence.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]

The same Aaron Wilbraham who played a part in our vital equaliser on Saturday?[/quote]Yeah, the one who missed his kick in front of goal.

Some very encouraging noises from two wise and experienced observers in City1st and Ricardo, neither of whom are known to me personally. I''ve been a fan since 1984 and can only agree that - although there have certainly been some amazing times - I struggle to remember a time when the club''s head and the club''s heart have been so well-aligned. I don''t think any of us is under any illusions that we have the best team in the division, but I think we do believe that (a) we have players who know their roles and will fight for every point on offer and (b) a board that has no immediate intention of selling us down the river. That sense of commitment makes what we have achieved already all the more satisfying: there''s a long way to go but we are doing everything we can to get there.

Now, if we could just find a way of giving Jackson some confidence. Being able to rely on that extra half a yard of pace might just serve us well in the coming months as teams begin to tire.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Blimey Ricardo there was nothing like a thousand in that room.It was around the 300 -400 mark.There were empty seats as you entered the Norfolk lounge and there were only 20-25 tops standing at the bar as i was one of them.

Very good report as has been stated already but way off beam concerning attendance.

What struck me tonight was that although we are still in a very precarious state financially the Chairman and Chief Executive have a very positive vision for the future and how they plan to tackle the issues ahead of them.In previous years Doomcaster just portrayed a catalogue of excuses as to where we were at with no plan as to what was going to be done to address the situation.If someone was concerned that we were £20 million in debt he would reply along the lines that things could be worse as say Crystal Palace were £30 million in debt.These guys are serious big hitters in the world of finance and boy did it show.

I was surprised that only 2 of the usual gang of three got to their feet i.e.Peter Wolsey and David Batley although Cameron Newark was in attendance.Maybe it was because PL took the rug away from under Batleys feet with some brilliant humour.The presentation by the Chairman and CEO also made it that the best Wolsey could come up with was reference to the Rod Stewart concert.

Til, are you speaking as a ex copper or a shareholder here ? If the former, then I''m afraid I will have to take your figures with a pinch of salt.

If Ricardo is correct then does the club have plans to put in extra seating for the next AGM - if so, for christ sake (and the clubs bank balance) don''t let builders from Drayton do the job.

[quote user="City1st"]Til, are you speaking as a ex copper or a shareholder here ? If the former, then I''m afraid I will have to take your figures with a pinch of salt. If Ricardo is correct then does the club have plans to put in extra seating for the next AGM - if so, for christ sake (and the clubs bank balance) don''t let builders from Drayton do the job.[/quote]

The club always put out the seats "theatre style" and never put more than 400 tops in the room so that means there were 600 standing at the bar according to Ricardo.Much as i like what he posts he is way,way off beam with his sums because as i say there were 25 tops at the bar because i was one of them.

[quote user="ricardo"]

6. Catering profits exceed many Prem clubs entire catering turnover.

[/quote]

Is arguing about the attendance the best we can do? What about point six from my mate Rickyyyyyyyyy???

That can''t be right can it??

Can''t wait for The Butler or Mr Carrow to come and put this right!

The sooner the cook takes her pots and pans back to Suffolk the better[;)]