Sign in to follow this  
DOGGER

Why is the crowd so quiet?

I always think the crowd is quiet when I listen on Canaries World. Loud for the first 2 mins then I hear crickets and OTBC in the background every few moments

Seems to be worse in a midweek game, we have got a little more noisy but we need to raise our voices

Oh well - here we go again.

The crowd participation reflects the game. as always in games like this there are pockets of action where the crowd truly tries to raise the team but generally we were waiting for something more to happen.

That''s not a Norwich thing, it''s a football crowd thing.

Finally, the usual retort to the ''have a go at the Norwich crowd'' comment - Why do visiting managers frequently ''complain'' about how tough

it is at the Carra as the crowd gets behind the team.

The players need to give the crowd something to cheer about.

That''s not new or abnormal It''s been the case since the Gladiators and beyond.

PS I didn''t mean Jet and Wolf by the way

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]The players need to give the crowd something to cheer about.

That''s not new or abnormal It''s been the case since the Gladiators and beyond.

PS I didn''t mean Jet and Wolf by the way[/quote]Not always - watch any Man City game and there''s rarely more than a couple of minutes without a big, loud sing-song. It was the same when they were in the third division, if not more so! I think some fanbases are just naturally more noisy than others. I think we''re just one of those clubs with a relatively low percentage of fans who want to sing and chant for 90 minutes. The Jarrold seems to have got a bit more involved in the chanting in the last year or so, which is good for the atmosphere, but other than the Barclay and Snakepit we''re a pretty sedate bunch. As for our away support, though, it''s absolutely awesome!

Because unfortunately we have a higher percentage of families, children, couples and pensioners who follow norwich. Not to mention the reserved norfolk odd ball types bless ''em. We don''t have a large working class male following, who in general are the ones who are vocal, create the atmosphere and get behind the team. Shame.

[quote user="fearofambition"]Because unfortunately we have a higher percentage of families, children, couples and pensioners who follow norwich. Not to mention the reserved norfolk odd ball types bless ''em. We don''t have a large working class male following, who in general are the ones who are vocal, create the atmosphere and get behind the team. Shame.[/quote]rather have families than oikes !And tbh I think thats a pretty dire stereotype.

[quote user="DOGGER"]Any ideas?Wish i was there to get the crowd going, we need to lift the players!!![/quote]

One massive element which bollocks it up is the moaners and whingers, we have plenty of them just like every club. Some of them need to wind their necks in and have a reality check, if their expecting Roy of the Rovers miracles every game then fuck off and support Manchester United.

Also as pointed out in this thread the reserved types who sit through the game like their watching the snooker. Some of us show our passion in different ways but get behind the team sitting there like a pseudo version of Steve Claridge solves nothing.

It''s the negativity which fucks up the atmosphere at our club. They might not set the world alight at times but reserve judgement till the final whistle.

was in the N&P tonight it was dire  i went in there full of enthusiasm and it just sucks the life out of you after about 5 minutes to the point of being uncomfortable. When lambert says the crowd are terrific i wonder if he''s got a crowd noise cd being piped into the dug out..its awful

Couldn''t agree more spartacus. In general all managers praise the crowd to keep them onside. I can''t imagine any other crowd of 25,000 supporting a team second in the league creating such little noise and atmosphere. In terms of numbers or ''turning up'' we are excellent, in terms of making noise or ''support'' we are a joke.

at the end of the day, so what?? and as people have rightly said the team need to give you something to get excited about for the large proportion of the game we were crap last night

[quote user="paulo79"]at the end of the day, so what?? and as people have rightly said the team need to give you something to get excited about for the large proportion of the game we were crap last night[/quote]

Welcome to the mindset of the average norwich fan.

[quote user="fearofambition"]Couldn''t agree more spartacus. In general all managers praise the crowd to keep them onside. I can''t imagine any other crowd of 25,000 supporting a team second in the league creating such little noise and atmosphere. In terms of numbers or ''turning up'' we are excellent, in terms of making noise or ''support'' we are a joke.[/quote]When we sing OTBC before the match, it always raises the roof - it''s just finding a way of getting people to join in with more of the chants more often. I do my best in the River Upper (and there are a few noisy folks up there!), but it''s about having ringleaders. In the Barclay, everyone''s up for singing, so people will start chants all the time. Occasionally during the match I stand up and yell ''YEEEEEELLOOOOWS!'' at the top of my voice, and a lot of people will actually join in, but outside the Barclay and Snakepit moments like that are the exception rather than the rule.

and what is wrong with that, people that say the barclay and snake pit just sing is also a myth, the N&P try their best, but as another poster has said there are losts of older people and young kids there.

The game was dire after about 10 minutes until about the 75th then the team improved and the noise level went up.

I went to the West Ham v Forset game on sunday and the atmosphere there in a 30,000 capacity was about the same as ours a few renditions of bubbles and our crowd is better than 90% of crowds i''ve seen.

[quote user="fearofambition"]Because unfortunately we have a higher percentage of families, children, couples and pensioners who follow norwich. Not to mention the reserved norfolk odd ball types bless ''em. We don''t have a large working class male following, who in general are the ones who are vocal, create the atmosphere and get behind the team. Shame.[/quote]Every club has families following them with only 1 real singing stand. But what I will say is the Barclay is getting more filled with these people year after year. If only you could swap them for the people who sit in the Jarrold and N+P who do wana get behind the team. A and B  block in Barclay could be mistaken for any block in the river end.

[quote user="john_starks"][quote user="fearofambition"]Because unfortunately we have a higher percentage of families, children, couples and pensioners who follow norwich. Not to mention the reserved norfolk odd ball types bless ''em. We don''t have a large working class male following, who in general are the ones who are vocal, create the atmosphere and get behind the team. Shame.[/quote]
Every club has families following them with only 1 real singing stand. But what I will say is the Barclay is getting more filled with these people year after year. If only you could swap them for the people who sit in the Jarrold and N+P who do wana get behind the team. A and B  block in Barclay could be mistaken for any block in the river end.
[/quote]

Oi, I''ve been a season ticket holder in Block B of the Lower Barclay for the last 20 years as have most of those who sit around me and I can tell you that most of the time we are standing and joining in with the singing (having the benefit of the Snakepit to our right and the noisier bit of the Barclay to our left thereby being able to join in with chants/singing originating from both sides of us). As for Block A...I take your point [:D]

[quote user="fearofambition"]Because unfortunately we have a higher percentage of families, children, couples and pensioners who follow norwich. Not to mention the reserved norfolk odd ball types bless ''em. We don''t have a large working class male following, who in general are the ones who are vocal, create the atmosphere and get behind the team. Shame.[/quote]

Fully agree with that. Plus the lower barclay and snakepit although Vocal they just don''t know the songs like the 70''s & 80''s even back in 2004our promotion year the noise was at least 50% better.

quote Bury Yellow Oh well - here we go again. The crowd participation reflects the game. as always in games like this there are pockets of action where the crowd truly tries to raise the team but generally we were waiting for something more to happen. That''s not a Norwich thing, it''s a football crowd thing. Finally, the usual retort to the ''have a go at the Norwich crowd'' comment - Why do visiting managers frequently ''complain'' about how tough it is at the Carra as the crowd gets behind the team.

Correct Bury Yellow!

Threads on this subject seem to crop up every few weeks!

Football matches aren''t going to be a constant cauldren of noise all the time except for very very few occasions like the Munich home game in the UEFA cup or some of the cup runs we''ve had over the years. I''ve been going since the 1950''s and its always been like that. The myth that back in the "good ole days" it was different is bull sh it!

Anyway go to some away games, The sc um in particular and you''ll realise that the noise that Norwich fans make at Carrow Road is more than what many others do on their home turf! 

lambert et al keep telling the fans how important their vocal support is, however most parts of the ground for most parts of the game don''t seem to take any responsibility for giving them what they want and need to be spurred on.

i don''t understand it. if once or twice the WHOLE ground could join in with a very simple.. ''paul lambert''s green & yella army'' or the even more simple ''yella army'' it would create such a good noise and they might find they even enjoy themselves whilst doing it.

come on you yellows.

otbc

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="fearofambition"]Couldn''t agree more spartacus. In general all managers praise the crowd to keep them onside. I can''t imagine any other crowd of 25,000 supporting a team second in the league creating such little noise and atmosphere. In terms of numbers or ''turning up'' we are excellent, in terms of making noise or ''support'' we are a joke.[/quote]
When we sing OTBC before the match, it always raises the roof - it''s just finding a way of getting people to join in with more of the chants more often. I do my best in the River Upper (and there are a few noisy folks up there!), but it''s about having ringleaders. In the Barclay, everyone''s up for singing, so people will start chants all the time. Occasionally during the match I stand up and yell ''YEEEEEELLOOOOWS!'' at the top of my voice, and a lot of people will actually join in, but outside the Barclay and Snakepit moments like that are the exception rather than the rule.
[/quote]

i stood in N&P singing it last night and i kind of tapered off towards the end cos i was the only 1 singing it it and  felt a bit self concious.. why  do people make excuses for the lack of atmosphere ? i don''t normally agree with cluck and smudger  but it realy has become diluted with happy clappers and people who don''t appear to know what its all about.

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="john_starks"][quote user="fearofambition"]Because unfortunately we have a higher percentage of families, children, couples and pensioners who follow norwich. Not to mention the reserved norfolk odd ball types bless ''em. We don''t have a large working class male following, who in general are the ones who are vocal, create the atmosphere and get behind the team. Shame.[/quote]Every club has families following them with only 1 real singing stand. But what I will say is the Barclay is getting more filled with these people year after year. If only you could swap them for the people who sit in the Jarrold and N+P who do wana get behind the team. A and B  block in Barclay could be mistaken for any block in the river end.[/quote]

Oi, I''ve been a season ticket holder in Block B of the Lower Barclay for the last 20 years as have most of those who sit around me and I can tell you that most of the time we are standing and joining in with the singing (having the benefit of the Snakepit to our right and the noisier bit of the Barclay to our left thereby being able to join in with chants/singing originating from both sides of us). As for Block A...I take your point [:D]

[/quote]I sit in A block in the lower Barclay and the atmosphere is woeful in there, there''s me and a couple of guys next to me who sing but other than that it is like sitting amongst a load of tailors dummies. There is quite a few younger blokes around there as well who you''d expect to sing but they barely utter a word. Millwall fans may be thuggish but when they make a noise they really do make a noise, I''d imagine it would be deafening at their place if there was 25k in there. Some games seem to have a better feel atmosphere wise than others and last night it felt flat from the start with very few seeming to be up for it which was rather surprising considering our position in the league.

Quote: Because unfortunately we have a higher percentage of families, children, couples and pensioners who follow norwich. Not to mention the reserved norfolk odd ball types bless ''em. We don''t have a large working class male following, who in general are the ones who are vocal, create the atmosphere and get behind the team. Shame.

As a white working class male man Im glad to see someone who shares my views on the pinkun board

This is the result of dumbing NCFC down and changing it from a passionate community club into a la de da family theatre.Not enough passionate grassroot fans who are happy to be heard... and too many luvvies who think such behaviour is ''most unseemly''. Despite the best efforts of the new regime it will take years to throw off the painfully squeaky image Delia Smith has inflicted on us.Bring back the ''casual fan'' and reduce the season ticket stranglehold and things might change.