Sign in to follow this  
LeJuge

What reception did Bellars get?

I had to miss my second home game in a row today, having not missed any for three years. Sucks, but that''s the only way that I will finally shake off this damn flu. I am off on holiday next month, so will be a generally poor show for me this year - and you thought that your season ticket worked out pricey!Just wondered what kind of reception Bellamy get? And how did he take it? Answers on a postcard please.

Good when his name was announced at the start of the match, but this soon turned to boos when he became pantomime villain with his constant moaning!

Well I suppose you can''t be playing for both teams on the pitch. He was only ever going to try and score and win today.What did he play like? Does he still look class or does he look to be in decline? The reason that I ask is that should we get promoted rather than Cardiff, I would happily see him return here for a year.If he is still any good that is.

[quote user="PhatCanary"]He got stuck in Russell Martins pocket!![/quote]They had a right ding dong, but hand on heart Martin was pure class today.Bellers doesnt seem to have lost any of his pace though !

It is unbelievable how much Russell Martin has improved, what a great buy, and credit to the coaching team.Six months ago I was saying that he was a league one player, he has proved me - and most - entirely wrong. To the point that Blackburn would be getting a bargain at £750k, with age on his side and the performances that he is putting in I would want £2m for Russell Martin now.He should be in line for a contract extension to 2014, it expires in summer 2012 at current. If he has put Bellars in his pocket, then I would say that he is in the top 2 or 3 best right backs outside of the Premier League - not many other players have managed that this season by most accounts.

[quote user="LeJuge"]It is unbelievable how much Russell Martin has improved, what a great buy, and credit to the coaching team.Six months ago I was saying that he was a league one player, he has proved me - and most - entirely wrong. To the point that Blackburn would be getting a bargain at £750k, with age on his side and the performances that he is putting in I would want £2m for Russell Martin now.He should be in line for a contract extension to 2014, it expires in summer 2012 at current. If he has put Bellars in his pocket, then I would say that he is in the top 2 or 3 best right backs outside of the Premier League - not many other players have managed that this season by most accounts.[/quote]Again, ( maybe its something to do with Martin''s ) start of the season a few of us were getting really anoyed becasuse Martin was getting flack.He had a pretty bad first game (this season) but pulled his act together and was really getting in good tackles and defending his line.People still gave him sh*t.Now hes attacking and after he was rated (on paper) as our best player people have suddently started saying how classy he is.R.Martin has been spot on all season and I find it shocking that people say how he''s progressed and credit the coaching staff etc etc.He has upped his game but hes always been a bloody good player.I rate Martin as our best asset right now, yes ahed of Wes and Holt in regards to transfer fee demands.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="LeJuge"]It is unbelievable how much Russell Martin has improved, what a great buy, and credit to the coaching team.Six months ago I was saying that he was a league one player, he has proved me - and most - entirely wrong. To the point that Blackburn would be getting a bargain at £750k, with age on his side and the performances that he is putting in I would want £2m for Russell Martin now.He should be in line for a contract extension to 2014, it expires in summer 2012 at current. If he has put Bellars in his pocket, then I would say that he is in the top 2 or 3 best right backs outside of the Premier League - not many other players have managed that this season by most accounts.[/quote]Again, ( maybe its something to do with Martin''s ) start of the season a few of us were getting really anoyed becasuse Martin was getting flack.He had a pretty bad first game (this season) but pulled his act together and was really getting in good tackles and defending his line.People still gave him sh*t.Now hes attacking and after he was rated (on paper) as our best player people have suddently started saying how classy he is.R.Martin has been spot on all season and I find it shocking that people say how he''s progressed and credit the coaching staff etc etc.He has upped his game but hes always been a bloody good player.I rate Martin as our best asset right now, yes ahed of Wes and Holt in regards to transfer fee demands.[/quote]Well what else do you want me to say? Other than that he has proved me wrong? Because I could have lied and said that I had spotted his talent from the off; six months ago was pre-season, my doubts were that he would struggle to make the step up, nothing to do with this season. He has proved me wrong, hands up to that, but I was certainly not alone in my doubts about him. He had, after all, failed to impress at Peterborough in this division, albeit in a poor side. At no stage have I criticised him this season, he has been excellent all season, perhaps only rivalled in consistency by Crofts and Drury when he is fit. You could perhaps add Ruddy to that list now, he is also one which should be getting a lot more credit than he does, he reminds me of Robert Green in fact.

I must add that neither was I critical of him last season, my worry is that he wouldn''t be able to cut it in The Championship. Personally I couldn''t believe the criticism of him last season, people have short memories; we only have to look at who preceeded him - Jon Otsemober and Jurgen Colin, now they really were League One players. Russell Martin is our new Steady Eddy, I see a lot of similarities in fact. Hardly ever caught out defensively, can get forward, good passer of the ball. Now Martin has added goals too, somehow. Martin is our first good right back since Edworthy, before that we had Nedergaard. Traditionally we have always had good right backs, its good to have another one after 4 and a half years without.

Im also not claiming that I thought him a world breaker from day one, he has certainly just gone from strength to strength.I think I just get worked up when people start nit picking a players game when they dont actually understand the role they are meant to be performing, or in a lot of cases round here it seems they only spot when a player makes a mistake and miss the 99% clean record unless they are scoring goals or clearing headers off the line ! :)

I agree with what you say Nexus but the common denominator with our team is that every player has improved under Lambo and his staff.

As an example dear old Doc last year was supreme but if any of you have noticed his performances with Charlton you will see he is back to his old habits including going to ground when he tackles. He make me nervous just watching the highlights!!

Mixed reception for Bellamy today.

R Martin was class again and kept him in check.

Covering for Martin was also superb - there were two brilliant examples.

Late in the second half Bellamy set off after another Cardiff long ball and, even though they were clearly tiring, we had about 6 yellow shirts bearing down on him from behind to take him into the corner.

Also, one of the things that really made me laugh today was when Bellers bounced off Leon Barnett chasing down to the byline and landed vertically about 5 yards away. He didn''t complain either!

The other thing that made me laugh was when Parkin - one of the biggest players I have ever seen - took out half a dozen advertising hoardings in one go because he couldn''t stop himself.

[quote user="Drazen Muzinic"]The other thing that made me laugh was when Parkin - one of the biggest players I have ever seen - took out half a dozen advertising hoardings in one go because he couldn''t stop himself.[/quote]It looked to me as if he stopped and then shoved them over in frustration/anger.

[quote user="LeJuge"]It is unbelievable how much Russell Martin has improved, what a great buy, and credit to the coaching team.Six months ago I was saying that he was a league one player, he has proved me - and most - entirely wrong. To the point that Blackburn would be getting a bargain at £750k, with age on his side and the performances that he is putting in I would want £2m for Russell Martin now.He should be in line for a contract extension to 2014, it expires in summer 2012 at current. If he has put Bellars in his pocket, then I would say that he is in the top 2 or 3 best right backs outside of the Premier League - not many other players have managed that this season by most accounts.[/quote]It''s unbelievable,  you could quite easily argue that R Martin is our best player. 

From the Barclay it looked like he''d he lost his balance after trying to stop too suddenly.

Or maybe he''d just heard that the last of the Match Day pies had just been sold.

Looked like Bellamy was having a good report with our guys during most of the the game. After the above mentioned collision with Barnett he actually patted Barnett on the back, likewise exchanging wry smiles with Holt after holt won a free kick infront of the snakepit to Bellamys dismay.Bellamy was heard to have said that ''he was sick of having to run back all the time with Martin (Russel)''.I think Marshall got most of the abuse as he was warming up infont of the snakepit

I think despite what anyone says the coaching staff have to have had a huge influence aswell as the player himself. It cant have hurt having Ian Culverhouse there to help. Playing in a positive team which is confident cant have done any harm to R.Martin either. Hats off to the player, was steady if unspectacular last year but has really pushed on this season. Down side is any clubs who we''re interested would have chosen todays game to see how he stood up against a top player, not that i think the current setup would sell for the money thats been mentioned.

Best moment for me was when Bellars stalked up to the ref after the final whistle and gave him both barrels. I saw him coming from the touch line and stayed behind to watch. He didn''t let me down. As mentioned somewhere else I thought Bellers played the panto villan very well today but Martin and Barnet had him tucked up. I think moaning keeps him alive. He moaned at his own players as much as ours, moaned at himself, the linesmen and someone in the Jarrold. I expect he is moaning now.....   

I don''t mind a round of applause for a returning player but some parts of the SP thought it would be a good idea to chant for him during the game, plonkers. I also didn''t think Drury appreciated being rolled into the hoarding in front of the Barclay by Bellend either. Not the player he used to be.

HRH

Several times today, and especially early on,  Bellars passed when he would have usually taken the ball on himself. It looked like he didn''t have that killer instinct against a Club he has never derided and would have preferred to have set up a colleague to score rather than do so himself.

Russell Martin has developed tremendous stamina and on top of that looks a yard quicker than last season. He has the athleticism to play in the Premier League.

Bellamy got the ambassadors reception and with the ferrero roche we were surely spoiling him:-)

To answer your question OP he had a reasonable round of applause when his name was announced and the players were on the field. During the game some people around me started to boo him, they have pretty short memories in my opinion. There was a great exchange between him and Holt where they had a bit of a clash and Holt got up and grinned at him and he grinned back. Towards the end he became his usual self, pushed Drury over the goal line towards the boards, probably should have been booked but was already on a yellow by then.At that stage the crowd round me got stuck into him, which is what he deserved at that point. BUT he was a great player for us and I dont like booing ex players just for the sake of it. On the other hand Marshall got stick when he was warming up, waved at the crowd looking pretty sheepish and wasnt seen again.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]Best moment for me was when Bellars stalked up to the ref after the final whistle and gave him both barrels. I saw him coming from the touch line and stayed behind to watch. He didn''t let me down. As mentioned somewhere else I thought Bellers played the panto villan very well today but Martin and Barnet had him tucked up. I think moaning keeps him alive. He moaned at his own players as much as ours, moaned at himself, the linesmen and someone in the Jarrold. I expect he is moaning now.....   [/quote]He''s never been different.  When he was with us, he was always flinging his arms in the air whinging.  We all should know really what to expect. 

I would NOT sell R Martin for £2m as someone mentioned before. Who the hell would be good enough to replace him at this stage for that price. I''m sure he''s happy here tbh though and wants to stick with PL who he''s worked with before and trusts him.

To be fair to him, he did come over to the Cardiff kids and spend time signing autographs before the game. He was the only Cardiff player to do that. He''s an ass, but that was a nice gesture.

I like Bellers, he''s a character.

Much like Holt or a Robbie Savage, someone who''ll be hated by everyone unless he''s on your team.

[quote user="Jin"]I would NOT sell R Martin for £2m as someone mentioned before. Who the hell would be good enough to replace him at this stage for that price. I''m sure he''s happy here tbh though and wants to stick with PL who he''s worked with before and trusts him. [/quote]Talk about a major misquote, at no stage did I say that I would be happy for the club to sell Russell Martin for £2m, you construed that one. I said that he is probably a £2m player, by no stretch of the imagination does that mean that I would agree to his sale. Realistically, that is probably his value; that doesn''t have to make us a selling club.So don''t get your knickers in a twist.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]To be fair to him, he did come over to the Cardiff kids and spend time signing autographs before the game. He was the only Cardiff player to do that. He''s an ass, but that was a nice gesture.[/quote]I actually think that he is quite a good bloke, the type of fella who would buy you a pint or two in the pub. Eight pints later he would probably chin somebody for calling him a midget or something, but nobody spends £1m of their own money setting up a school and academy in Africa if they aren''t down to earth.More footballers should be investing their money into communities, I could quite easily argue that the greedy wankers in the England team are much worse people. Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney - there has never been a suggestion that Bellars is all about the money, its always been about the football and his inability to get on with people in the long term.If Bellamy wants to take a golf club to any of the aforementioned players then that''s not a problem to me, preferably Ashley Cole if I have to choose one.