Sign in to follow this  
David Fox For England

David Fox

david fox was outstanding today: picked his passes superbly, chased the cardiff midfiled constantly, was back defending when he needed to be and looked alot more energetic than lansbury or crofts. i know lambert likes to change things about alot, but i think with fox in the holding midfield role week in, week out our midfield will always have a great shape to it.

what are everybody elses views on david fox?

Thought he was MOTM today. dictated the game. some of his passing was superb. At first thought he was out of his depth but ATM hes been fantastic

he was excellent  today - great passing, broke up play  and for a short bloke did anyone notice how many headers he won?

i actually didn''t notice that, so thats another thing to add. we are said to be chasing michael brown from pompey, however i think a better option would be splashing on a proven championship striker to partner with holt. then it takes a little pressure off holt because martin, wilbraham, jackson and co. are very unreliable.

I like either David Fox or Andrew Crofts in that role, but personally I would like to see Korey Smith getting a bit more game time. I think my preferred four in the middle is (not including Lansbury, as he looks to be going home):             CroftsSmith                  Lappin          HoolohanI''m not sure why, we just look to have a lot of balance with that line up. Obviously Lansbury has to be in the side if he stay, and I am hopeful of Surman at some stage surpassing Lappin in the pecking order, but for some reason I just like having Korey Smith on the pitch. Crofts also played his best football at the base of the diamond. I like the idea of having two in every position, with Fox and Croft challenging for that deep role, so:                            Crofts/FoxSmith/Lansbury                       Lappin/Surman                          Hoolohan/??        If Lansbury doesn''t stay, I think that we need another player for that right side.We don''t need a second attacking mid, as if Hoolohan isn''t fit we play 4-4-2 anyway. Do we even have a natural right winger at the club? If we can buy a player who can play right mid and centre mid, then we are sorted really. I think that is what we need to be honest.

[quote user="65Vintage"]he was excellent  today - great passing, broke up play  and for a short bloke did anyone notice how many headers he won?
[/quote]

I mentoned that during he game; he really won his fair share of headers today. Chris Martin take note!

Fox had a really good game today.  He seems to improve all the time.  He can get stuck in, play a long pass, play a neat through ball and has a good shot on him, everything you want from his type of midfielder really[:)]

Fox is a pretty decent player, picks out passes really well. With him, Henri and Hoolahan we have plenty of creativity and Crofts to get stuck in...it works really rather well :-)

He''s another player who has grown into his role in the team and looks to be benefitting from confidence and games. He certainly has some class about him and I think the extra competition in the middle really makes players up their game because they know they could be out of the team so easily

What the hell was he doing in the reserves at Colchester?! Speaks volumes about Boothroyd. I thought Fox looked fantastic in pre season but I think it''s fair to say he took a while to get to grips with the Championship, but now he''s really fulfilling that pre season promise. In my opinion he''s the best passer of the ball in our squad and one of Lamberts best buys.

Yeah extremely good, although frustrating when Chopra beat him in a 50-50 tackles. Surely your centre-mid should come out favourite? Hurt him if you need to. The only negative about Fox doing well in that role is that Crofts is pretty poor on the right side of the diamond. Hasn''t got any wide play instinct and when involved in the critical areas of the pitch, his touches can let him down. Top player though, but now we have those two doing a ''triffic'' job in the anchor role.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="65Vintage"]he was excellent  today - great passing, broke up play  and for a short bloke did anyone notice how many headers he won?
[/quote]

I mentoned that during he game; he really won his fair share of headers today. Chris Martin take note!

[/quote]

Was a dig at Chris Martin really needed there; I though he had a decent game today.

[quote user="PKC"][quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Was a dig at Chris Martin really needed there; I though he had a decent game today.

[/quote]

PKC, if you haven''t noticed, there are some people on this board who will take any oppurtunity to have a dig at a player. When the player then comes to form they will then praise them and say they never doubted them. Weird people.

Fox is a great passer but his lack of pace and tendancy to slow the pace of our forward movement is not always a good thing!

Yesterday in the 2nd half we had next to nowt penetration which was due to being to slow to move the ball forward and too manhy sideways and backward passing, alot of which was down to Fox!

Had a good game yesterday and was obviously told to stay in front of Parkin for headers and 99% of the time he did this well, but he went missing for the goal as good as it was.

Personally I would prefer Crofts as the back of the diamond with Smith on the right with Wes at the tip.

It appears to me Fox loses his man defensively to often.

Yeah I''d prefer Crofts as base, Smith right and Wes at tip. Fox doesn''t really fit in the starting line-up for me unless we play flat 4 in midfield

[quote user="David Fox For England"]david fox was outstanding today: picked his passes superbly, chased the cardiff midfiled constantly, was back defending when he needed to be and looked alot more energetic than lansbury or crofts. i know lambert likes to change things about alot, but i think with fox in the holding midfield role week in, week out our midfield will always have a great shape to it.

what are everybody elses views on david fox?[/quote]

Totally agree. Astonished some posters have scored him lower than Lansbury & Crofts - both of whom did alright but were not as effective as Fox against Cardiff. I watched him for the first time in the pre-season friendly v Lincoln and thought he looked really good - I wrongly assumed then he would be the man to start at the base. On Saturday he was spraying passes across the field with great accuracy - reminded me of a certain Doug Livermore from way back. His style may more closely resemble Damien Francis - an effective midfielder we have never replaced. Fox is a great team player and if he continues to improve like this, he could have a massive future with us.

[quote user="Jin"]Yeah I''d prefer Crofts as base, Smith right and Wes at tip. Fox doesn''t really fit in the starting line-up for me unless we play flat 4 in midfield
[/quote]

I''d rather keep Fox at the base and put Crofts or Lansbury on the right than leave Fox out and bring Korey in. I think Fox can (and does) have a much bigger influence on the way we play than Korey does.

I feel that our midfield is more solid with Fox defensive mid and Crofts on the right, I''m going to put my neck on the line and say humbly that I don''t rate Korey very much and think opposition target him as a weak link in our team.

"I feel that our midfield is more solid with Fox defensive mid and Crofts on the right, I''m going to put my neck on the line and say humbly that I don''t rate Korey very much and think opposition target him as a weak link in our team."

As much as I hate to say it I agree. I think Korey is a good young player, but he hasn''t been effective of late and I think a speall on the bench might do him some good