Sign in to follow this  
Smeg

Spillane gone (almost)

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2082404,00.html

doh, not one i wanted to see go

Shame.But at the end of the day, had Lambert rated him good enough, then he would be staying.

The "undisclosed fee" can''t be much if its Brentford, shame I thought he may have made it with us. Oh well, Lambert knows best.

If Lambert thought he was good enough he wouldn''t be leaving and to a League 1 side. Good Luck Micky in your future career.

Must mean a right back is coming in, I very much doubt Lambert will go into the season with just 1 senior right back on the books.

Gutted in many aspects especially with him being home grown  think he is an excellent player and certainly an excellent squad member who can be utilised in a number of positions. Another loss to the squad today with Russell leaving also, I hope we have some deals lined up because the squad is the weaker for these two decisions!

Good luck Michael, hope you have a long & successful career.....

Good luck Micky. [Y] I always thought he was pretty good, but I agree, Lambert has my trust. [Y]

This is weird because Smudger & First Wizard (among others) assured me that Lambert knew Spillane was our best defender and Lambert was going to be playing him at centre back next season.Smudger AND First Wizard are wrong???? I just don''t know who to trust any more *sob*

Well this is very suprising. Saw him very much as our right back for this season as really not sure if Martin will be able to cut it at championship level and Spillane showed a lot of promise last season but Lambert has made all the right choices so far so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe someoe else has been lined up as correct me if im wrong but by my count Martin is now the only right back we have

I think it''s a shame, as he has real potential, but we have to trust PL.

There will now be an attempt to sign a RB, I assume.

Does this finally end the debate about who is better, Spillane or R.Martin?Lol.

Never rated him and never thought he''d be a long term fixture in our team but certainly wish him all the best for the future.

I for one feel that we are letting another good player leave the club,at the start of last season he was playing really well,i hope we have a sell on clause because i have no doubt a few years down the line he will be sold on for good money,good luck to him,i have every faith in PL and can''t wait for the new season but i am not with him on this one.

Never showed anything but promise, unless there is a underlying injury problems that could surface at any time i feel this is a sad day for the club, a solid player who enjoyed going forward, Brentford have themselves a bargain at what ever price, GUTTED.

I would have much preferred if we had sent Spillane out on loan for a season.....I think he''s got promise.

Still, I accept that there are reasons behind the move, just a shame in my opinion that he''s on his way.

I thought when he was initially given a chance he showed a bit of promise but he''s never developed beyond that and appears to be a fairly ordinary lower league player.  In fact I''m almost glad he''s gone just to spite the deluded souls on here who think he''s the next Maicon.  But if he was that good he wouldn''t be off to the mighty Brentford.

Best of luck to the guy though.  I''m pretty sure he won''t go quite the same way as some of our so-called ''promising'' youngsters but will probably end up a run-of-the-mill League One or Two player.

Two players i didn''t want to see go have gone. Thought Spillane would be pushing for a first team spot next season. But then again Lambert is manager and i''m not.

Not a good decision on the face of it. Maybe Spillane requested the move.

And George Francomb is extremely highly rated at the club.

Although a bit disappointed he only got a one-year deal.

Bit of a surpirise but then it was downward which must relect his expected abilities. It also suggests that there are others who may leave. Unlike our impoverished neighbours City have not indicated a fire sale or that Spillane was surplus to requirements.If there is a positive or two then it''s that no one is ''untouchable'' and sentiment matters little. However unpalatable the loss of Docherty, Spillane and most likely Russel is, it does suggest a welcome streak of ruthless determination that we haven''t seen at the club for somewhile.Mind you if I was captain canary and splat the cat I might be looking over my shoulder

It''s the same argument used about Doc and Russell only because he was City youth, people are (understandably) more optimistic about his ability than perhaps his performances deserve.He would be okay as back up, but if you want a team to take you to the Prem then he''s not the player to do it.

I''m very dissapointed about this.  I thought he was capable of a starting place next season and then he could have really progressed.  I hope we get a new right back in soon so R.Martin can challenge him for a spot rather than vice versa.

As for someone saying a run of the mill League 2 player I think that is a bit harsh.  He showed real promise with us and I think he will be very good for Brentford next season and would expect to see him in the Championship soon.

disappointing, if not only now for the fact Roeder was (probably) right...and who gave him his first run in the team - was is Grant or later Worthington? - oh dear all becoming perfectly clear.

best of luck mickey - you scored one of our best goal last season.

This is sad, he''s a cracking tackler and I''m sure he''ll be a hit for Brentford in league one!

Shame to see him go, but Spillane/R.Martin as our RB options wasn''t good enough so probably the right decision.