Sign in to follow this  
dpit

When was the last time we had a really really rubbish keeper ?

I am going to stand up for David Marshall. I think he was good goalkeeper and people have been unduly harsh on him. I will concede that he was possibly overpriced at £1 million though. Goalkeepers are always going to look ropey if they have got a really shoddy team in front of them like we did last year.  Just look at Robert Green this year. He has made some errors this season but that is inevitable if your defence is coming under enormous pressure every game. Marshall has since proven his quality at Cardiff and a close family friend who is a season ticket holder there believes he is the best keeper they''ve had in years. Grant signed a lot of duffers but I don''t think Marshall was one of them. If we had stayed up I reckon Marshall could have stayed at the club for a long time.

You have already elluded to Theoklitos being garbage so my award for rubbish goalkeeper over a sustained period goes to Simon Tracey. Absolutely awful. That 5-0 against Everton which he played in was just embarassing. One of the main reasons why we dropped out of the Premier League first time round was because we didn''t replace Gunn properly after he broke his leg. Tracey (through being a clown) and Marshall (through inexperience) gifted the opposition soft goals at crucial times during that season.

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]how about Peter Vasper and who remembers him from the early seventies Keelans under studie[/quote]

God yes I remember when he played in a third round FA cup tie when we lost at home to Wrexham he was awful. He went on to play for Cambridge and won their player of the year in a season when they let in over 100 league goals. Who said football supporters don''t have a sense of humour!

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

You have already elluded to Theoklitos being garbage so my award for rubbish goalkeeper over a sustained period goes to Simon Tracey. Absolutely awful. That 5-0 against Everton which he played in was just embarassing. One of the main reasons why we dropped out of the Premier League first time round was because we didn''t replace Gunn properly after he broke his leg. Tracey (through being a clown) and Marshall (through inexperience) gifted the opposition soft goals at crucial times during that season.

[/quote]

i agree with this. what baffled me is that Deehan but in a keeper named Andy rhodes on a free till the end of the season. he had spent a few years in Scotland as aidries number 1 i think so surely should have got the nod?

Got to add my support for the nomination of Simon Tracey. Relegation is of course about a number of factors, but if one single decision led to us dropping out of the Premier League just when it was starting to generate big money, it was signing him to replace Gunn. Utterly, utterly hopeless. And when he was dropped, Andy Marshall had to return to the side, a few weeks after Deehan had basically shown he didn''t rate him by signing Tracey in the first place.

Tracey made Theoklitos look like Lev Yashin.

Tony Warner was half decent, but my abiding memory is seeing him concede a daisy cutter back pass from Dickson Etuhu from all of 45 yards at Sheffield Wednesday. Maybe not a really rubbish keeper but quite a dreadful error probably the worst.

Can''t believe it took so long for Theoklitis to get a mention. Beyond him, of those I am familiar with, Hansbury was the worst.

Did he ever play anywhere else after he was replaced?

At one time I seem to remember we had (at the same time) K.Keelan, R.Hansbury, M.Cawston. Keelan was a true great, but the others were good to, but my vote has to go to Roger, as when he got his first team chance, his nerve seemed to go. I would appreciate any info on what happened to hm post City, and any views on what happened to his form?

[quote user="corbs"]At one time I seem to remember we had (at the same time) K.Keelan, R.Hansbury, M.Cawston. Keelan was a true great, but the others were good to, but my vote has to go to Roger, as when he got his first team chance, his nerve seemed to go. I would appreciate any info on what happened to hm post City, and any views on what happened to his form?[/quote]http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Hansbury

Seem to remember Roger Hansbury being pretty poor at the time & getting a bit of stick.Him & Robert Rosario being my two least favourite City players.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

[quote user="dejanstenfanovic"]He looked rubbish anyway ! Czech not pole[/quote]

well, he looked better than any other option we had that year *cureton*cough!!

[/quote]Leroy Lita was miles better! Although we did get him on loan a month or so into the campaign.

Simon Tracey all the way.  I remember him getting tackled by the corner flag in a 2-2 draw with Coventry and thinking this clown is gonna help us get relegated!