Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

The best striker in league 1 is Grant Holt (and the stats prove it)

Even though Leeds are still in the FA Cup and JPT, Holty has more ''cup'' goals than Beckford and has the same amount of league goals. Beckford is soo over-rated IMO, I kinda wish Holt would get more praise from the national media. Of the two strikers I know which one I''d prefer to have playing for us....and it aint Beckford.

I have to confess I love watching Holt doing things like spend time warming up with the kids; winding up opposing players in a non-plussed style; cultivating the referee and employing any number of old pro tricks. The man is pure entertainment.

I''d rather the national media keep quiet and heap the pressure on Beckford in honesty!Holt can get as much praise from the fans and management as much as possible though [:D]I do want to hold onto the chap!

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]What about Rickie Lambert?[/quote]The top 3 goalscorers are Holty, J.B and Lambert.All 3 have 16 league goals each. Holt has 6 cup goalsJ.B has 4 cup goalsLambert has 3 cup goals.Therefore Holty has 22 goals altogether this season, (1 penalty as well).                     J.B has 20 goals altogether this season and                     R.L has 19 goals altogether this season ( 6 penalties as well).I conclude that G.Holt is the best striker in this league :)              

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "][quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]What about Rickie Lambert?[/quote]The top 3 goalscorers are Holty, J.B and Lambert.All 3 have 16 league goals each. Holt has 6 cup goalsJ.B has 4 cup goalsLambert has 3 cup goals.Therefore Holty has 22 goals altogether this season, (1 penalty as well).                     J.B has 20 goals altogether this season and                     R.L has 19 goals altogether this season ( 6 penalties as well).I conclude that G.Holt is the best striker in this league :)               [/quote]Lambert actually has 18 league goals, and 3 cup goals (21 overall). Though despite being 1 goal behind Holts tally, he has a game in hand in the league, remains in the JPT and the FA Cup, and has 1 more assist than Holt in the league with 7.HOWEVER, it is worth mentioning, that despite appearing that there is little to seperate the two, Lambert has scored from 5 penalties compared to Holts 1.

[quote user="Big Bad John"][quote user="promotion chasing CT "][quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]What about Rickie Lambert?[/quote]The top 3 goalscorers are Holty, J.B and Lambert.All 3 have 16 league goals each. Holt has 6 cup goalsJ.B has 4 cup goalsLambert has 3 cup goals.Therefore Holty has 22 goals altogether this season, (1 penalty as well).                     J.B has 20 goals altogether this season and                     R.L has 19 goals altogether this season ( 6 penalties as well).I conclude that G.Holt is the best striker in this league :)               [/quote]Lambert actually has 18 league goals, and 3 cup goals (21 overall). Though despite being 1 goal behind Holts tally, he has a game in hand in the league, remains in the JPT and the FA Cup, and has 1 more assist than Holt in the league with 7.HOWEVER, it is worth mentioning, that despite appearing that there is little to seperate the two, Lambert has scored from 5 penalties compared to Holts 1.[/quote]Sorry, ''6'' (you were correct on that CT). [Y]

What really impresses me is the coolness and skill that Holt shows when on a one to one against a goalkeeper. Again, yesterday he scored, whereas many forwards would fluff the chance.  This impressed me first at Yeovil at the beginning of the season. Holt really is much better than people give him credit for and I see him scoring lots at a higher level next season. 

[quote user="The Walking Man walking to Yeovil"]What about Rickie Lambert?[/quote]I think Barnard at Southend deserves a mention too he''s got 15 or 16 in the league in what is a pretty poor team

holt is the most  all round player... gives more to the team than any other striker in the league... adding to the fact he has 22 goals makkes him an exceptional signing... 

I''d like to see stats on percentage of 1-on-1s converted (not just shots as some strikers are more speculative) I believe Holt has the best service in the league, although Beckford probably has more clear-cut opportunities as we play with 2 out-and-out strikers as opposed to Leeds'' 1. I would imagine Barnard is the most clinical striker in this league, he has nowhere near the supply Holt does, I haven''t seen him play but I''d guess he has to do a lot of the work himself if he wants to score goals, whereas any striker in our team with half a brain will get lots of 1-on-1s courtesy of Hoolahan''s footballing brain.

I do love holt however for those that have seen Southampton play this season lambert is just as good. I haven''t seen a striker win as many headers as rl did against us in the jpl ever and his strength on the ball is immense. Very close between the two. I think the lad at Stockport deserve a mention because he has scored a few in a dreadful team

[quote user="The Gunnpowder plot"]I do love holt however for those that have seen Southampton play this season lambert is just as good. I haven''t seen a striker win as many headers as rl did against us in the jpl ever and his strength on the ball is immense. Very close between the two. I think the lad at Stockport deserve a mention because he has scored a few in a dreadful team[/quote][url=http://www.mysmiley.net/free-party-smiles.php][img]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0001.gif[/img][/url].... Southend.

[quote user="The Chirp"]holt is the most  all round player... gives more to the team than any other striker in the league... adding to the fact he has 22 goals makkes him an exceptional signing... 
[/quote]

Lambert is the better all-round player and scores fantastic goals but Holt works a bit harder. Neither of them have much pace.

[quote user="The Gunnpowder plot"]No I did not mean Southend I meant Stockport and the lad barker!![/quote]Thats Carl Baker, he''s a midfielder, and he now plays at Coventry in the Championship.

Have to agree with ''Rude old'' in particular on this thread. This man Holt is fantastic, pure entertainment. What an absolute star.

On another thread there was albeit mild criticism of Holty re yesterdays game. Something about his distribution. Well, if you watch him during a game he is a complete arse for the opposition. 9 out of 10 times he will gain an advantage from a tackle he is a superb captain. He leads from the front and to me he is a hero!!

When he was put through by the brilliant Hooly I was thinking, if you wanted someone to receive that ball, it was the Horse. Like all all magicians he made it look simple but the goal was brilliantly taken.

Whilst I''ve got my gander up, I appeal to you all, don''t forget the utter dross we''ve been served up over the last few years including a lot of the Worthy times. The football being served up at the moment from our team is superb.

As Lambo said, you can''t be brilliant all the time. Look at Arsenal and Man U but the skill and movement of our team at the moment with few additions has been nothing short of miraculous.

Let''s all enjoy this ride - except Bob (Roberta) Frankilin of course

holt is deceptivly fast aswell, im not saying hes semi in the speed department but hes no slouch,, i think if barnard was in a play off team then he would be considered just as good as holt and RL. On the point of beckford i know id rather have Holt but the type of player he is playing on the shoulder of last defender with pace has always commanded a higher price than a hitman as a general rule.

Beckford:

League 16 in 22

Cups 4 in 7

Holt:

League 16 in 25

Cups 6 in 5

So Beckford has scored as many as Holt in the league having played 3 games less and considering 3 of his cup games were against teams from higher leagues (Watford, Liverpool, Man United) his cup record isn''t that bad and all of Holts cup goals have come against Carlisle, Yeovil and Paulton Rovers, brilliant

Beckford is better then Holt, simple as

Add to that Beckford has scored 74 in 113 starts for Leeds

[quote user="sam"]Beckford:

League 16 in 22

Cups 4 in 7

Holt:

League 16 in 25

Cups 6 in 5

So Beckford has scored as many as Holt in the league having played 3 games less and considering 3 of his cup games were against teams from higher leagues (Watford, Liverpool, Man United) his cup record isn''t that bad and all of Holts cup goals have come against Carlisle, Yeovil and Paulton Rovers, brilliant

Add to that Beckford has scored 74 in 113 starts for Leeds[/quote]As far as goals and pace are concerned?... Just about.As far as everything else is concerned (assists, strength, heading, tackling, work-rate, loyalty, passion, captaining, passing, crossing, technique, maturity, consistency... etc.)? Holt wins no contest i''m afraid.

[quote user="sam"]Beckford:

League 16 in 22

Cups 4 in 7

Holt:

League 16 in 25

Cups 6 in 5

Add to that Beckford has scored 74 in 113 starts for Leeds[/quote]And he''s handed in a transfer request because he''s too good for you.

[quote user="sam"]Beckford: League 16 in 22 Cups 4 in 7 Holt: League 16 in 25 Cups 6 in 5 So Beckford has scored as many as Holt in the league having played 3 games less and considering 3 of his cup games were against teams from higher leagues (Watford, Liverpool, Man United) his cup record isn''t that bad and all of Holts cup goals have come against Carlisle, Yeovil and Paulton Rovers, brilliant Beckford is better then Holt, simple as Add to that Beckford has scored 74 in 113 starts for Leeds[/quote]

Yeah and he won''t be your player for much longer

I''d have Beckford in my side simply becuase he is a better goalscorer, end of that. He doesn''t need to work like Holt or tackle and track back for me if he keeps scoring, he might not be our player to much longer, but we will find a good enough replacement and we are 6 points clear at the top of the league with a game in hand, unbeaten in 17 and only 1 loss all season, more then happy so Holt can score as many as he likes as long as we keep winning

[quote user="sam"]I''d have Beckford in my side simply becuase he is a better goalscorer, end of that. He doesn''t need to work like Holt or tackle and track back for me if he keeps scoring, he might not be our player to much longer, but we will find a good enough replacement and we are 6 points clear at the top of the league with a game in hand, unbeaten in 17 and only 1 loss all season, more then happy so Holt can score as many as he likes as long as we keep winning[/quote]How are you going to celebrate winning the world cup this year? [:|]

the only advantage beckford has over holt is he is younger . but to be honest what i have heard regarding beckfords antics and the type of charactor he is i would have holt in the team any day of the week.

holt is the type of player norwich have wanted for years . a typical forward that the crowd love . he is a great catch for us and a good players and charactor to have here.

may he have many a happy season here.

[quote user="sam"]I''d have Beckford in my side simply becuase he is a better goalscorer, end of that. He doesn''t need to work like Holt or tackle and track back for me if he keeps scoring, he might not be our player to much longer, but we will find a good enough replacement and we are 6 points clear at the top of the league with a game in hand, unbeaten in 17 and only 1 loss all season, more then happy so Holt can score as many as he likes as long as we keep winning[/quote]Don''t get too confident. You probably will but I have heard of key players moving to other clubs in the same league and being no use at all.