Sign in to follow this  
B-ru

Swans are circling Hoolahoop

Mixed feelings. Hoolahan has talent in abundance but I think if his sale brings in funds for Lambert to bring in one or two of his own players then I think it''s a necessary sale.

The headline of that article could also read "Swansea boss fails to grasp the motivation of the modern footballer".  If they don''t pay the going rate, they could easily be in trouble.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Mixed feelings. Hoolahan has talent in abundance but I think if his sale brings in funds for Lambert to bring in one or two of his own players then I think it''s a necessary sale.[/quote]Agreed Googler - to an extent, can the club afford a luxury / free role player at the moment, or do we need 6 grunts, 2 fast wingers, a target man grunt and a fast short bloke ?

There''s no point keeping hold of a player like Wes if the management aren''t going to utilise his talent by giving him the freedom of the pitch. He isn''t a winger FFS.

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"]There''s no point keeping hold of a player like Wes if the management aren''t going to utilise his talent by giving him the freedom of the pitch. He isn''t a winger. [/quote]Agreed. His position always seemed to be best behind the strikers, I also think this would not be happening if McNally wasn''t totally behind - maybe even instigating - it.

There is no way Hoolahan should be sold.  Are we going to go down the same old route of selling all our best players?  How do you mount a promotion challenge if you do that?  I do not agree with people who say we need the money, what do we need it for?  To buy a good player?  Kind of defeats the object doesn''t it?

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Lord Flashheart"]There''s no point keeping hold of a player like Wes if the management aren''t going to utilise his talent by giving him the freedom of the pitch. He isn''t a winger. [/quote]Agreed. His position always seemed to be best behind the strikers, I also think this would not be happening if McNally wasn''t totally behind - maybe even instigating - it.[/quote]It happens across the country: clubs get hold of a talented left sided player and just assume he would be best used as a winger. Thus, the managers can stick with their beloved 4-4-2 formation and still field the talented lefty. For a club in the position we''re in this approach is clearly ridiculous: Wes is a talented, creative player who could create a huge number of chances per game if he was allowed to roam free. Seeing him isolated on the left wing attempting to run inwards to his favoured position has been one of the most frustrating things about watching City in the last few seasons. I hope Lambert has the tactical common sense to change it.

[quote user="First Wizard"]He doesn''t score enough goals, or make them for me.............take the money and run.[/quote]He would if he was played in the correct position. [Y]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Didn''t Lambert sign Hooly for Wycombe or am I dreaming and shall I get my hat?[/quote]

Nope. He signed him for Livingston.

Swansea will be relegated this season anyway. If Norwich play the formation that they did against Wigan then i''m sure Hoolahan will shine

[quote user="Big Bob"]Swansea will be relegated this season anyway. If Norwich play the formation that they did against Wigan then i''m sure Hoolahan will shine[/quote]Spot on. [Y]

Hoolahan cant play on the wing, he drifts so far in and it seems always to leave our full back in a 2 on 1 situation. So if we are going to persistantly play him there, yes sell him, but if we''re going to play him in his best position, behind the fowards, then he must be kept.

there is no doubt in my mind that hoolahan must be kept. He is our best player and he really can create something out of nothing. e.g the amazing ball for whaley to score against wigan. Why do some of you see it fit to sell our best players. that whould be just conti uing down the same old norwich route.

[quote user="cosmos67"] Why do some of you see it fit to sell our best players.[/quote]If the best player doesn''t fit into the most effective team then they are better off elsewhere.  Playing him on the wing leaves gaps, putting him in the hole behind the strikers also leaves gaps, with the other 3 midfielders having to cover the ground he leaves behind.  Either way we are defensively weaker with him in the team, and to win this, or any other league you need to keep a lot of clean sheets.What kind of formation could we play to use him to his strengths ?  And how many teams would suppress service to him in the hole behind the strikers too easily ?

Has no-one noticed that there is no suggestion in the article that Hoolahan has had talks or anything with Swansea? No quotes suggesting it or anything. Could just as easily be someone dreaming it up.

[quote]Has no-one noticed that there is no suggestion in the article that

Hoolahan has had talks or anything with Swansea? No quotes suggesting

it or anything. Could just as easily be someone dreaming it up.[/quote]Errr...[quote]Norwich midfielder Hoolahan is understood to have visited the Liberty in the last week for talks over a move from Carrow Road.[/quote]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Has no-one noticed that there is no suggestion in the article that Hoolahan has had talks or anything with Swansea? No quotes suggesting it or anything. Could just as easily be someone dreaming it up.[/quote]

Errr...

[quote]Norwich midfielder Hoolahan is understood to have visited the Liberty in the last week for talks over a move from Carrow Road.[/quote][/quote]

Exactly. He was ''understood'' to have visited. How did they come to understand it? Where did they get it from? Any quotes? Certainly nothing from the manager in that article even hinting towards it.

If they sell him, it could be very short-sighted. IF by some miracle they achieve promotion, how many players would be left of championship standard - very few in the present squad. So if they were promoted, how would they assemble a squad?If, on the other hand, Wes wants off, for whatever reason, then let''s get whatever price we can get.

Hoolahan has been cr*p from day one. All I ever see is a player who runs down blind-alleys, never passes to team mates in better positions and despite how skillfull were always being told he is, creates nothing. Get rid and get someone in who at least looks like they can be arsed.