Sign in to follow this  
kilroyslefteyebrow

The sign of a good manager.

It''s fantastic that we have almost signed a whole starting eleven this Summer.

My concern now is how long it will take these newcomers to get used to playing together. How many more friendlies do we have? How many games into the season before the back 4 get used to each other and the keeper?

Now is the time for Gunn to show his true managerial credentials by getting this well assembled group of individuals to play together as Norwich City FC.

I''m as excited as everyone else, bt I don''t want to expect too much too soon.

If we get a slow start and 10 matches in are struggling I hope we aren''t on Gunn''s back now and give his team time to gel.

Don''t expect 30 points in the first 10 games. I''d be happy with 10-15 points and a much stronger post-Christmas period with a stable side.

If we are to get back up to the championship at the first time of asking there can be no excuses. If Gunn is not up to the job then he needs to be got rid off pretty sharpish, I believe David McNally will be keeping a very close eye on Gunny and will act sooner rather than later if it starts to go tits up.If you don''t get out first time it can become a long messy slog.

WE really need to hit the ground running and show our intentions.....and that we do mean serious business. Beating Colchester soundly - will be a good start.....Momentum and consistency will be critical, as well as remaining injury free and with fewer bookings and suspensions.

Around Christmas, we should be mixing it with the front runners and be in the top six at least....

If  come January 2010 - and we need an injection of fresh blood and new ideas to maintain the push, the board should pull all the stops out - and really ensure we are strengthened in the required areas.....

Then, I just might be less cynical....and start to believe.

My point would be that should Gunn go, any new arriving manager will want to bring in his own players and loanees.

We have had enough upheaval and transition over the last 3 seasons with changes of personel.

It would be nice to see a group of players that Gunn has assembled be given the chance to learn to play together under Gunn.

My fear is that should we get off to a slow start, then the historically fickle Norwich fans will be too quick to jump on Gunns back.

I was in no way a supporter of the appointment of Gunn but now he has assembled his squad lets give him adequate time to show us what he can do with them.

it''s not always good buying loads of players, the squad needs to be settled and there needs to be a good tea spirit! and with all our signings and soon departures (clingan, russel) the squad is not settled and the team spirit can''t be that good!

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]My point would be that should Gunn go, any new arriving manager will want to bring in his own players and loanees. We have had enough upheaval and transition over the last 3 seasons with changes of personel. It would be nice to see a group of players that Gunn has assembled be given the chance to learn to play together under Gunn. My fear is that should we get off to a slow start, then the historically fickle Norwich fans will be too quick to jump on Gunns back. I was in no way a supporter of the appointment of Gunn but now he has assembled his squad lets give him adequate time to show us what he can do with them.[/quote]

lol there wouldn''t be any need to change players if the new manager coming in (should gunny go) is already part of the team who has a say in choosing the players we have so far signed.

Just a thought [;)]

[quote user="Hucks is Legend"]it''s not always good buying loads of players, the squad needs to be settled and there needs to be a good tea spirit! and with all our signings and soon departures (clingan, russel) the squad is not settled and the team spirit can''t be that good![/quote]

We couldn''t have gone with what we had because we didn''t have a full squad, sheesh cheer up, it''s a new start, and a new team that is ours, not loans.  [:D]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

WE really need to hit the ground running and show our intentions.....and that we do mean serious business. Beating Colchester soundly - will be a good start.....Momentum and consistency will be critical, as well as remaining injury free and with fewer bookings and suspensions.

Around Christmas, we should be mixing it with the front runners and be in the top six at least....

If  come January 2010 - and we need an injection of fresh blood and new ideas to maintain the push, the board should pull all the stops out - and really ensure we are strengthened in the required areas.....

[/quote]

The fact you made a serious well reasoned post is a sign you already do..........

Even you must admit its refreshing to have the bulk of our first team in place with several pre-season matches to go.

If/when we sell Russell it will allow us to have a nice little kitty that can be used come January.

If we are challenging for the title it will make us very attractive to players coming here. (be it on loan or permanent)

With our games against the promoted teams very early on. We need to hit the ground running straight away in a different league with a completely different squad. Going to be difficult.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote]How many more friendlies do we have?[/quote]

Four.
[/quote]

Against who?

Man U, Wigan, Palace...?

I could look it up...but that would require effort...

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

The fact you made a serious well reasoned post is a sign you already do..........

Even you must admit its refreshing to have the bulk of our first team in place with several pre-season matches to go.

If/when we sell Russell it will allow us to have a nice little kitty that can be used come January.

If we are challenging for the title it will make us very attractive to players coming here. (be it on loan or permanent)

[/quote]

Yes, but I''m a compulsive liar.....

Hes done a good job in rebuilding a squad. The time taken for the players to start playing as a team together often takes time, but he has done well to get them in early, rather than waiting til august to get loan players in.

To be fair, although we have bought a shed load of players in (many more than expected, surely), WLY, T-Jones, Gill and Nelson have had almost an entire pre-season here; should we sign Maric or Askou, they have been here for plenty of time too; Theo as a keeper is different, but has also been about for a longish time.

It is only today''s signings that haven''t had as long to gel, but if they are any good that shouldn''t be too much of an issue...and they are (almost) the only players we''ve had to pay ''traditional'' fees for.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Well said Mello. I completly agree with that and we should never take things for granted and have the big club mentality, but we should expect to be in the top 2-3 come Christmas.

But well done Gunn.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]To be fair, although we have bought a shed load of players in (many more than expected, surely), WLY, T-Jones, Gill and Nelson have had almost an entire pre-season here; should we sign Maric or Askou, they have been here for plenty of time too; Theo as a keeper is different, but has also been about for a longish time.

It is only today''s signings that haven''t had as long to gel, but if they are any good that shouldn''t be too much of an issue...and they are (almost) the only players we''ve had to pay ''traditional'' fees for.[/quote]

Thanks BP. Like I said. It was a worry. I just needed someone like you to tell me the facts and I can calm down again.

You are right. Im not worried about wingers bedding in. What do they need to be told to do? Get the ball, run forward with it and try to put it in the box.

I was most worried about defensive drills and familiarity with GK. Its the uncertainty between CB and GK that makes a team conceed too many goals. Lets just lock the doc, the admiral and Zorba in a room together for a few days.

10 points in 10 games and Gunn should be sacked!

2 point per game is the standard needed for promotion and about 1.7 points per game for the bottom play-off spot. Any less than 17 points from the first 10 games would be a disaster

Please dont think I am being anti-Gunn, I have belief in him and have had from the very start, but 10 points in 10 games would.... for me.... be the point where he loses his job.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]10 points in 10 games and Gunn should be sacked!

2 point per game is the standard needed for promotion and about 1.7 points per game for the bottom play-off spot. Any less than 17 points from the first 10 games would be a disaster

Please dont think I am being anti-Gunn, I have belief in him and have had from the very start, but 10 points in 10 games would.... for me.... be the point where he loses his job.[/quote]Absolutely right.  It''s surprising that Gunn is the long term choice given his poor record last season considering he had 19 games to turn things around (we weren''t in the bottom 3 when he took over, remember).  We need at least 12 from 10 games or he''s sacked, I''d say.

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]It''s fantastic that we have almost signed a whole starting eleven this Summer. My concern now is how long it will take these newcomers to get used to playing together. How many more friendlies do we have? How many games into the season before the back 4 get used to each other and the keeper? Now is the time for Gunn to show his true managerial credentials by getting this well assembled group of individuals to play together as Norwich City FC. I''m as excited as everyone else, bt I don''t want to expect too much too soon. If we get a slow start and 10 matches in are struggling I hope we aren''t on Gunn''s back now and give his team time to gel. Don''t expect 30 points in the first 10 games. I''d be happy with 10-15 points and a much stronger post-Christmas period with a stable side.[/quote]

Roeder did the same thing and practically got in a new team. The difference this time is that they aren''t loans but players who want to be here. I will remain sceptical until Gunny''s team start to consistently get results. I reckon we''ll have a slow start and pick up after christmas. We could well challenge for a play off place but the main thing is it looks like we''ve got a team that we can support rather than a bunch of mercenaries.

[quote user="book end"]

[quote user="kilroyslefteyebrow"]It''s fantastic that we have almost signed a whole starting eleven this Summer. My concern now is how long it will take these newcomers to get used to playing together. How many more friendlies do we have? How many games into the season before the back 4 get used to each other and the keeper? Now is the time for Gunn to show his true managerial credentials by getting this well assembled group of individuals to play together as Norwich City FC. I''m as excited as everyone else, bt I don''t want to expect too much too soon. If we get a slow start and 10 matches in are struggling I hope we aren''t on Gunn''s back now and give his team time to gel. Don''t expect 30 points in the first 10 games. I''d be happy with 10-15 points and a much stronger post-Christmas period with a stable side.[/quote]

Roeder did the same thing and practically got in a new team. The difference this time is that they aren''t loans but players who want to be here. I will remain sceptical until Gunny''s team start to consistently get results. I reckon we''ll have a slow start and pick up after christmas. We could well challenge for a play off place but the main thing is it looks like we''ve got a team that we can support rather than a bunch of mercenaries.

[/quote]

Spot on book end. I feel fairly optimistic this time round if only for one reason. After the Premiership campaign when we lost week in week out followed by the sucker punch that was Fulham away, the majority if the squad remained. This losing mentality / fear  stayed within the team, and unsurprisingly continued in the championship (like an extended hang over!!). However this time around due to the huge turn over we have almost single handedly got a new team without this fear / ingrained acceptance of losing. Almost all of the new boys will see their moves to Norwich as a step up. Sports psychology is a powerful thing and I think Gunny / Chippy / Butterworth realise the need to bring in hungry winning players with a never say die attitude.