Sign in to follow this  
CJ

Time for a change of Goalie

I am sure many will have a go at me for picking on one player but I am afraid david Marshall needs to be aware there is competition for his place in the team. He has made too many fundamental mistakes that have led to goals recently and as we all know goals change games.

A few I remember Derby at 1-1 awful decision to come out and lost ball

Bristol City missed clearance at 1-1 led to penality / goal

Wolves leading 1-0 simple shot spilled to forward

Burnley leading 1-0 simple shot straight at him spilled to forward

And I am sure there are more. Do not get me wrong all keepers make mistakes just like all players but I just think there are just too many for comfort at moment and I wouldnt be surprised if Burnley forwards were told to follow up shots to Marshall after they watched video against Wolves! Come to think of it wasnt there a recent home game where he spilled a simple shot , think it was against Charlton and follow up forward put in.

I have refereed many matches and I can tell you that a good solid keeper who either catches or pushes shots away to safety frustrates forwards very rapidly and they start shooting more out of hope in the end rather than belief.

Gunn has to be brave now and bring in another keeper and give Declan Rudd a chance. The youngsters have only lost once in last twelve and he has been key to that. He is full of confidence , even taking penalties. I realise is big risk but we can not afford another spill against Coventry and he needs a chance before we get to last chance salloon

I agree with you CJ and i''ve been thinking the same thing. Marshall does seem to be making to many mistakes which are costing us deer! The shot he saved, he spilled it right to a Burnley player, who had a simple tap in. Similar situation in the second half when one of our players had a shot, and was saved by their goalie and he spilled it too, but not far away, and was able to get up and grab the ball before anyone else could get to it. It seems he making a mistake every game which is leading to the other team scoring lately! I don''t think Gunn would be brave enough to rest Marshall for a game or 2 at this critical stage of the season.

[quote user="Beauseant"]While I agree with you about Marshall, I think it''s too early for Rudd, and Nelson just isn''t good enough.[/quote]

Do we know that for sure Beauseant? CT has a valid point, how many more points have to chucked away?

[quote user="First Wizard"]Sorry I meant CJ![:S][/quote]

Its OK Wiz...its probably your CJD[:P]

In answer to your question, all I can say is that I saw him at Lynn in preseason and he looked very poor,and I know others have seen him more often and take the same view.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Beauseant"]While I agree with you about Marshall, I think it''s too early for Rudd, and Nelson just isn''t good enough.[/quote]

Do we know that for sure Beauseant? CT has a valid point, how many more points have to chucked away?

[/quote]

I know very little about Nelson except that some of the Orient fans fell about laughing when he was sold.  According to them there were long spells when we couldn''t even make their reserve squad.  They wondered whether Norwich had ever seen him play.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

I know very little about Nelson except that some of the Orient fans fell about laughing when he was sold.  According to them there were long spells when we couldn''t even make their reserve squad.  They wondered whether Norwich had ever seen him play.

[/quote]

Oh bugger then![:$]

Interestingly Matty Gilks has been holding his place in the Blackpool side after coming on when Rachubka was sent off although some of the crowd are on his back because Chubs is a fans favourite. (Almost identical to the Lewis/Tyler situation at Posh).   If he keeps in the first team he''ll turn out against you I imagine.

I agree that Marshall has made some un-forgetable mistakes that shouldnt be being made, we can''t afford to be giving away goals at this stage. He has lost us a lot of games, however what is are other option. Nelson just is not good enough for the level of the teams were up agaisnt. And i dont think Rudd''s ready yet. I do think something has to be done though cause half the matches we are loosing are to mistakes by Marshall.!!!

Disagree completelyYes Marshall has made mistakes recently but he makes more top drawer saves than he does make mistakes. He might drop 1 clanger a game but he''ll make 3 or 4 world class saves and that cancels it out for me.Plus who else is there? Nelson? no way. Marshall is not the one to blame. How about the rest of the team for not creating any chances for the strikers and only scoring 1 goal.Its never one guys fault and dropping Marshall is not the answer, itll only make things worse.

Football is about scoring more goals than the opposing team, conceeded goals are often the result of a mistake and they always have been and always will. Our back four are responsible for more goals than Marshall by far, but I dont blame them either personally...as mistakes happen. Our problem is so obviously the lack of goals we score so get off Marshalls back and realise that he is a credit to NCFC and is certainly not to blame for our miss-firing so called strikers.

I agree with SAFU, the reason we are concentrating on goalie mistakes is because we arent scoring at the other end.  When one goal is the difference between success and failure people start to tense up a bit and make mistakes.  IMO we need a goal scorer sooner rather than later.  I also think it was a mistake to leave Chris Martin at Luton, I think he would have done well with a run of games.  Lets be fair he couldnt do any worse than Curo.

I''ve thought for while that Marshall is a major weak spot for us. As far as i see the only quality he has to his game is shot stopping. His command of the area is dreadful, he always gets undone by a ball accross him, his kicking a shambles, his organisation of the back four is probably partly to blame for their constant indecision. All this without even considering the glaring goof ups! We need a new keeper. Too late for this season but its got to happen next year.

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]I agree with SAFU, the reason we are concentrating on goalie mistakes is because we arent scoring at the other end.  When one goal is the difference between success and failure people start to tense up a bit and make mistakes.  IMO we need a goal scorer sooner rather than later.  I also think it was a mistake to leave Chris Martin at Luton, I think he would have done well with a run of games.  Lets be fair he couldnt do any worse than Curo.[/quote]

Sorry, but the idea that we ''aren''t scoring'' is rubbish - in the league we are 9th in terms of goals scored (44, higher than 2nd placed Brum), but joint 22nd in terms of goals conceded (53, only Charlton below us): rthis is the reason we are where we are. 

I don''t know how much clearer it can be that it is in defence that we have the biggest problem, and it has been so for some time; it is an even bigger problem when those shortcomings are exacerbated by not being able to rely enough on your keeper to make regulation saves/decisions/clearances.  It is all well and good making occasional great stops, the thing is that if those weren''t made no one would be complaining too much - it is when ''bread and butter'' errors creep in that suggest a far important problem which is much harder to cover. 

The reason people are concentrating on "goalie mistakes" is because there have been too many important ones this season.  For example, when all is said and done, we have dropped important points in the last 2 home games ostensibly due to bad goalkeeping.  Of course you have to resign yourself to the fact that there will be errors by all players at times, but Marshall has simply made too many.   The rest of the side clearly has to take part of the blame for most of the goals conceded, because defence starts from the front, but that is not an excuse for regulation errors.

David Marshall:  A good shot stopper, but for the rest of all the goalkeeping stuff he is very poor.

Makes you realise how good Green actually is!

you ask me marshall needs some superglue on his gloves. He may be a great shot stopper, but a lot of the time he doesnt gather the ball or direct it safely to one side. There are a lot of goals this season which have come about after marshall has had a touch.

[quote user="colneycanary"]I agree with you CJ and i''ve been thinking the same thing. Marshall does seem to be making to many mistakes which are costing us deer! The shot he saved, he spilled it right to a Burnley player, who had a simple tap in. Similar situation in the second half when one of our players had a shot, and was saved by their goalie and he spilled it too, but not far away, and was able to get up and grab the ball before anyone else could get to it. It seems he making a mistake every game which is leading to the other team scoring lately! I don''t think Gunn would be brave enough to rest Marshall for a game or 2 at this critical stage of the season.[/quote]

When the oponents take shots they gamble on spills and score whereas when we have shots we just watch instead of running in just in case which allows the keeper to re-claim the ball. This has been happening consistently all season.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]I agree with SAFU, the reason we are concentrating on goalie mistakes is because we arent scoring at the other end.  When one goal is the difference between success and failure people start to tense up a bit and make mistakes.  IMO we need a goal scorer sooner rather than later.  I also think it was a mistake to leave Chris Martin at Luton, I think he would have done well with a run of games.  Lets be fair he couldnt do any worse than Curo.[/quote]

Sorry, but the idea that we ''aren''t scoring'' is rubbish - in the league we are 9th in terms of goals scored (44, higher than 2nd placed Brum), but joint 22nd in terms of goals conceded (53, only Charlton below us): rthis is the reason we are where we are. 

I don''t know how much clearer it can be that it is in defence that we have the biggest problem, and it has been so for some time; it is an even bigger problem when those shortcomings are exacerbated by not being able to rely enough on your keeper to make regulation saves/decisions/clearances.  It is all well and good making occasional great stops, the thing is that if those weren''t made no one would be complaining too much - it is when ''bread and butter'' errors creep in that suggest a far important problem which is much harder to cover. 

The reason people are concentrating on "goalie mistakes" is because there have been too many important ones this season.  For example, when all is said and done, we have dropped important points in the last 2 home games ostensibly due to bad goalkeeping.  Of course you have to resign yourself to the fact that there will be errors by all players at times, but Marshall has simply made too many.   The rest of the side clearly has to take part of the blame for most of the goals conceded, because defence starts from the front, but that is not an excuse for regulation errors.

[/quote]

Exactly [Y] its the Defence, defence, defence, defence!!!!! froget about up front being the problem

At the end of the Burnley game, Marshall did yet another one of his atrocious goal kicks: weak, short and low, right to a Burnley striker, who luckily was slow to react, allowing Grounds to tackle. But  after conceding several goals of this type, isn''t there someone to call his attention that he should either pick the nearerst unmarked defender (within 10-15 yards), or if there''s no such alternative, should hoof the ball up, well over the halfway line (and more importantly, beyond  our line of defence)? It''s ridiclulous to try 50 yard "passes" from goal.  I happen to be a goalkeeper at amateur level, but I would be embarrased to take goalkicks like that.  

While in general I regard Marshall as a gifted goalkeeper, he''d need competiton, and, probably, some rest. I have no idea how good Nelson is, but knowing Roeder''s attitude towards 2nd choice keepers (as last season Gilks sometimes didn''t even make it to the bench), and rejecting Köteles, a keeper with international ambition during the pre-season, Nelson was probably the cheap option, and was meant to have a game only if Marshall got injured, and even then to back him up on that very game, and using an emergency loan for the next game/s, if needed.  I thought Király from Burnley could have been an option, but, as I see, he''s been loaned out to Bayer Leverkusen.... How about Tony Warner?

Warners been the best keeper we have had here since Greeno, he was assured at the back, had good distribution and seemed to command the respect of the defence.

We could do a lot worse than him, id happily have him here as number 1.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Warners been the best keeper we have had here since Greeno, he was assured at the back, had good distribution and seemed to command the respect of the defence.

[/quote]the 1 thing he hasnt got is agility.but i will agree with you that he is a good solid keeper. where is he now?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Yes, but how many of those goals "we" scored were put into the net by our hero, Owen Gioal?  And how many of the conceded goals have been off penalty kicks?  I know this happens to all teams, but it sure as heck has been happening to us WAY more than normal.

Marshy could yet turn out to be a better ''keeper but there''s a worrying lack of improvement in his game. Poorly coached? Lack of competition for his place?

I wasn''t that impressed when he was here on loan (and was knocked by some on here who now criticise him) but I took to him a bit more after we signed him permanently.

At the time I said I''d prefer Lee Camp to him and I still would say that, plus we''d have saved a lot of money. But Marshy is our only real option at the moment and we could do worse than him.

[quote user="missing in action?"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the 1 thing he hasnt got is agility.
but i will agree with you that he is a good solid keeper.
where is he now?
[/quote]

Third choice ''keeper for Hull, with 1 FA cup appearance to his name.