Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

You might not like this!

Especially the lets destroy Jamie clan!

But last nights draw (felt like a win) was a superb all round TEAM effort, and Jamie C was part of that team. And I''d start with the same line up againt Brissie on Saturday.

Thats 4 games unbeaten now, all with Curo in the side, he unsettles defenders and keeps them occupied.

And the golden rule always was, barring injuries, you never change a team which is gelling and fighting for each other.......God, didn''t life under Roeder show that?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

But last nights draw (felt like a win) was a superb all round TEAM effort, and Jamie C was part of that team. And I''d start with the same line up againt Brissie on Saturday.

Thats 4 games unbeaten now, all with Curo in the side, he unsettles defenders and keeps them occupied.

And the golden rule always was, barring injuries, you never change a team which is gelling and fighting for each other.......God, didn''t life under Roeder show that?

[/quote]

correct the team should be

marshall

semmy     doc   grounds  drury

croft    clingan   russell    hoolahan

cort   cureton

Its a tough one Wiz. On one hand the team has been performing well, and it is hard to change a side that are playing well together. On the other hand JC hasn''t been performing as an individual to the level we expect of him. What can you do? Should Gunn drop him and risk draining the last bit of confidence out of him, or should he put his faith in him and hope that Jamie will come good? I still think he will start Saturday, but i think Cody will get a run out towards the end of the game.

Well you might have a point there Wiz. And the fact that this board is pretty quiet today apart from Curo bashing speaks volumes really. But if you are right then obviously you are advocating that The Doc should start on Saturday which I think would be a bridge too far for even your Turn-Again-Whittington nature.

But you could have a point. Gunny''s arm around the shoulder for Cureton because surely they will go in next time?? And he does still have to get there even to miss and I''m not sure other players would. Gow isn''t that type of player, didn''t see enough of Killen and don''t know about the lad from Dartford. But I would change the team because Carney had a great 2nd half and should start on the left.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]4 games unbeaten with Marshall and Russel. Two players you have openly criticised, on a regular basis. So what''s it to be?[/quote]

Err? no I haven''t James, I''m a huge fan of Rustys, likewise, Marshy saved our arses more than once!

curo is a handy player to have, and one could go off his bum and in, in next game and he''ll be banging them in again soon, what I will say is Carney probably needs to start, a left winger who can cross, who was last person to do that, and don''t get misty eyed and say Hucks coz crossing wasn''t his thing!!!

[quote user="CanaryJames"]In fact you even said Russel and Marshall should be dropped on another thread![/quote]

Look here James, that was an ironic quip used against all the anti JC threads and posts, only you failed to understand this............I wonder why?[:S]

[quote user="National express super guard "]curo is a handy player to have, and one could go off his bum and in, in next game and he''ll be banging them in again soon, what I will say is Carney probably needs to start, a left winger who can cross, who was last person to do that, and don''t get misty eyed and say Hucks coz crossing wasn''t his thing!!![/quote]Very well said. Carney needs to start regardless of Hoolahans form IMO. He looked quick and sharp, and his crosses sound deadly! He sounds like he is going to be a big assest for us!And Wiz; I agree in ways, it''s tough though as although getting anything from last nights was incredibly, so much went badly wrong. We shipped three poor goals. You can''t score three goals away from home and not come away with a win!Either way, it''s all positives, a point, we''ve moved up the table AND we have a team back. It''s all going to get much better as long as we knuckle down and work hard.

So on that basis Fotheringham comes back and Rusty goes up front?

No way would you want that, so changes as long as they are what you want.

No good if we want the winning feeling to last then lets pick the best team for the job in hand and that is NOT JC at the moment.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well you might have a point there Wiz. And the fact that this board is pretty quiet today apart from Curo bashing speaks volumes really. But if you are right then obviously you are advocating that The Doc should start on Saturday which I think would be a bridge too far for even your Turn-Again-Whittington nature.

But you could have a point. Gunny''s arm around the shoulder for Cureton because surely they will go in next time?? And he does still have to get there even to miss and I''m not sure other players would. Gow isn''t that type of player, didn''t see enough of Killen and don''t know about the lad from Dartford. But I would change the team because Carney had a great 2nd half and should start on the left.

[/quote]

The Doc must play too Nutty, he''s earned the right as well.

I know you don''t like what you call ''tinkering'', but in reality the lineup saw changes even throughout the last four games, and now that we have 2 new strikers in, it should mean more competition, souldn''t it?

[/quote]

As a general rule I completely agree and I would start with Curo on Saturday - however, there comes a time when if a player strings a 3 or 4 bad games together that he should be dropped, but Gunn wont shy away from that (although he''ll find it hard as he''s already said).

I think Gunn will build-up Curo''s confidence between now and the weekend, keep the faith on Saturday, start with Curo and take it from there. 

I agree Wizzo!!!!

Why change a team that''s unbeaten in 4?

Like you said, JC causes problems, let him do the running about and harrassing

and let Cort/Gow/Killen feed off the scraps!

He''ll start scoring now he''s got a proper partner upfront, Rusty did a good job

but he''s not a striker!

And I wouldn''t recall Fotheringham either!!

It won''t be long before we start climbing!

The whole "don''t change a winning team argument is flawed". You pick the best 11 for the job, hence Drury for Hoolahan last night. Changing the team from Barnsley didn''t do us any harm did it?

Cureton may well have cost us two points last night with his miss at 3-1, but that''s not really the point. The point is that he has missed many more than he''s converted (Don''t forget that he''s got 1 in 18 games this season). The good thing is that managers tend to pick teams on form, whereas fans pick them on sentiment.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]4 games unbeaten with Marshall and Russel. Two players you have openly criticised, on a regular basis.

So what''s it to be?[/quote]Doherty has been the key element - immense effort, trying to cover for Otsemobor (flaky at the best of times), Grounds (very inexperienced) and Drury (understandably rusty). And who''s said he boos Doherty? The wizard fella.We''ve taken a lot of those points despite Jamie being in the team.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

The whole "don''t change a winning team argument is flawed". You pick the best 11 for the job, hence Drury for Hoolahan last night. Changing the team from Barnsley didn''t do us any harm did it?

Cureton may well have cost us two points last night with his miss at 3-1, but that''s not really the point. The point is that he has missed many more than he''s converted (Don''t forget that he''s got 1 in 18 games this season). The good thing is that managers tend to pick teams on form, whereas fans pick them on sentiment.

[/quote]Exactly. So you''re happy to go with a defence that was poor and a striker who misses sitters regularly?

[quote user="Old Boy"][quote user="CanaryJames"]4 games unbeaten with Marshall and Russel. Two players you have openly criticised, on a regular basis. So what''s it to be?[/quote]
Doherty has been the key element - immense effort, trying to cover for Otsemobor (flaky at the best of times), Grounds (very inexperienced) and Drury (understandably rusty). And who''s said he boos Doherty? The wizard fella.

We''ve taken a lot of those points despite Jamie being in the team.
[/quote]

Again more lies!

I''ve never booed the Doc in my life![:@]

You did just advocate dropping Marshall and Russell in another thread Wiz, although I may have missed some sarcasm in that.

[/quote]

And keeps the assistant referees warm, all that flagging for the offsides. [;)]

Cureton played ok last night...apart from the two sitters he missed.

I can''t see either Gow or Killen (Killen esp looked a few weeks off match fitness last night) being quite ready to start yet fitness wise so i''m sure JC will start the game.

Rusty played really well first half but struggled a bit in the second. I hope Gunny does start with the same team.

I thought Clingan last night reminded me of Gary Holt at his best. Here, there and every f***ing where! [:D]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

idiot

I have to agrree with Wiz (christ thats a first). But for a different reason, if you leave Curo out now it''ll crush him for the rest of the season, he''s had his confidence hit hard by rodent already this season and if he doesn''t get support from Gunny after his misses last night i fear it could crush him once again and this time i believe that would be that from him. Stick with him and give him another chance.

Saying that it is very very frustrating that he seems to miss these chances more and more!!!

[/quote]

Not sure where this Golden Rule came from, seems like one conjoured up  to  fit an argument, perish the thought . Certainly the team, and more importantly the squad, is begining to gel which is good  news for a Club in the trouble that we`re in, we`re still very very close to that 3rd relegation spot. I`ve not seen JC`s missed chances from last night, from what I`ve heard and read one in particular was a tap in.He has been a quality stiker in the Championship,all strikers miss goals but JC`s record this season for us has  been poor, how is it he can go to Barnsley and score a few and then come back and start missing again. We need to find a way to take the pressure off his shoulders, I think his love for the club and desire to please the fans is so great he puts undue pressure on himself. This is a job for Gunny and good luck to him cos I  wouldnt know where to start on this one.On reflection I would give JC another start on Saturday along side Cort, I  think Cort will make chances for him and if JC gets a few in the pressure will ease. 

I don''t think replacing Curo would detrimentally affect us too much. As I''ve said on other threads, I like the ''big man/wee man'' partnership up front (a la Iwan/Bellars) so playing Gow instead of Curo would still keep that going. I understand your thinking Wiz, but if a striker is consistently missing match-winning chances, he really should be replaced unless he''s creating several chances for others, which he doesn''t seem to be doing.