Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

We'd better not agree to call the game off due to the weather down near Bristol

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="bristol_canary"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="bristol_canary"]its awful here! many people (including myself) have been snowed in today. it should clear tonight though.i hope the game is still on as i have a bet riding on it![/quote]"Snowed in"... what you mean, of course, is that the dusting of snow the South West has received has caught the Highways Agency and public transport networks out which has brought the whole world grinding to a halt.  You can probably open your front door, no? Southern softies... [;)][:P][/quote]I think you should shut your trap! unfortunately i live on one of the steepest residential hills in europe, which hasnt been gritted. now if i try and drive my front wheel drive car down it. it will be messy! I work 15 miles from where i live and there are no buses. you tell me how i get to work you stupid p***k.[/quote]

Russian Swedish and Norweigan workers travel to work daily, and on steeper ungritted hills!  Hmm?[:|]

[/quote]I wonder who held a gun to his head and made him live there?

[quote user="bristol_canary"]in scotland they are prepared/ know how to deal with it.

we never get snow this bad and the local councils are in panic mode. its a shambles
[/quote]

FFS all they do in Scotland is use snow ploughs and grit the roads. They dont have a magic wand.

The difference is that people take it in their stride, instead of panicking

Driving in snow is easy.....High gear, low revs and dont do anything suddenly....it`s not rocket science.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="ctid"]because it snows there for 4 months of the year EVERY YEAR [guarenteed] Therefore it is reasonable to commit expenditure to combat the weather. Unlike here where it snows like this once every 18 years. What a stupid statement to make.[/quote]

Snowballs pal!

They don''t subscribe to the ''I can''t do it'' society we live in now............and they''re tougher.

Britain has become a nation of wimps these last 10 years (service men and women excluded) no doubt, if we get anymore snow, this web site will have to close along with the schools![:S]

[/quote]

Quality!!![Y][B]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="1st Wizard"]Russian Swedish and Norweigan workers travel to work daily, and on steeper ungritted hills!  Hmm?[:|][/quote]
I once had to try to take the Pass of Caradhras with a couple of my friends.  Barefoot.  Now that was snow, I can tell you....
[/quote]

That pass is a bugger on large, naked, hairy feet aint it EM?[;)]

NR12 - Huge flakes, as big as houses, they are crushing houses and cars and people, I don''t know for how much longer I can keep typi

[quote user="bristol_canary"]unfortunately i live on one of the steepest residential hills in europe, which hasnt been gritted. now if i try and drive my front wheel drive car down it. it will be messy! I work 15 miles from where i live and there are no buses.[/quote]If it''s one of those 1 in 3 hills that are dotted around the Bristol/Bath area that you live on b_c you''ll find it''s one of the steepest residential streets in the World.Here''s how you compare at 1 in 3 ie 33.3% with the rest of the World.Filbert Street so steep it has those famous steps instead of a pavement hits 31.5%.Filbert Street and 22nd Street in San Francisco are two of the steepest in the Western Hemisphere at a maximum gradient of 31.5% Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand is steeper, with a maximum gradient of 1:2.86 or 35%.Canton Ave in Pittsburgh is also steeper, with a 37% grade.For comparison: Gas Hill Norfolks steepest hill reaches 16% or 1 in 6 at its steepest.So double up the incline of gas hill cover it in ice and drive down it? No thanks!!

[quote user="Buckethead"]
If it''s one of those 1 in 3 hills that are dotted around the Bristol/Bath area that you live on b_c you''ll find it''s one of the steepest residential streets in the World.

Here''s how you compare at 1 in 3 ie 33.3% with the rest of the World.

Filbert Street so steep it has those famous steps instead of a pavement hits 31.5%.

Filbert Street and 22nd Street in San Francisco are two of the steepest in the Western Hemisphere at a maximum gradient of 31.5%

Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand is steeper, with a maximum gradient of 1:2.86 or 35%.

Canton Ave in Pittsburgh is also steeper, with a 37% grade.

For comparison: Gas Hill Norfolks steepest hill reaches 16% or 1 in 6 at its steepest.

So double up the incline of gas hill cover it in ice and drive down it? No thanks!!

[/quote]

Firstly, Ithink that`s a fair assumption as posters name is Bristol Canary....

and secondly....

I think you may have too much time on your hands...are you snowed in??    [:D][:D]

[quote user="McCanary"]

Firstly, Ithink that`s a fair assumption as posters name is Bristol Canary....

and secondly....

I think you may have too much time on your hands...are you snowed in??    [:D][:D]

[/quote]What you might term voluntarily snowed in as I could get out but can''t be bothered.The hills stats are just mostly copied from a thing I sent my sister last night. She lives in Bath on a 1 in 3 hill and had seen her neighbour reverse out the drive and go sideways/backwards down the hill on ice ''til he hit the kerb that morning [:$]. They sometimes struggle to get up the hill with all the kids in the car if it''s even raining heavily. 1 in 3 is steep very steep you just don''t always think of Bristol/bath area as being hilly but this is steeper than anything in Wales or the Lake District and possibly Scotland too where you might find a hill that steep but it will not be lined with houses and parked cars.

[quote user="McCanary"]

[quote user="bristol_canary"]in scotland they are prepared/ know how to deal with it.

we never get snow this bad and the local councils are in panic mode. its a shambles
[/quote]

FFS all they do in Scotland is use snow ploughs and grit the roads. They dont have a magic wand.

The difference is that people take it in their stride, instead of panicking

Driving in snow is easy.....High gear, low revs and dont do anything suddenly....it`s not rocket science.

[/quote]

Oh I love my 4x4, no snow in Beccles though, how many wish they had a 4x4 today?

No don''t call the match off why should we Wolves never. 

Is it Wrynose or Hardknott pass in the lakes that is britains steepest road a just under 1 in 3 too?  Wnet over it once thinkingits a tough only to stop at the top and see a refuse lorry come ambling over the top!!

And why do people assume we are going to win tomorrow?  Brizzle are on an even better run than us and right in form - it will be a tough game even with our new found confidence.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Is it Wrynose or Hardknott pass in the lakes that is britains steepest road a just under 1 in 3 too?  Wnet over it once thinkingits a tough only to stop at the top and see a refuse lorry come ambling over the top!!

[/quote]

I thought it was Rosedale Chimney Bank in North Yorkshire with Hardknott close behind?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]That pass is a bugger on large, naked, hairy feet aint it EM?[;)][/quote]

Its even worse when some Wizardy bugger brings the whole thing down on

top of you.... wait a minute.... Wizard.............. it couldn''t be,

could it.............?[:O]

[quote user="astrodyne"]NR12 - Huge flakes, as big as houses, they are crushing houses and cars and people, I don''t know for how much longer I can keep typi
[/quote]

This is hilarious, astordyne.  I always joke about the size of hail because everyone inevitably exaggerates its size.  Hail reported as the size of golf balls is no bigger than a penny, so I will refer to it as being the size of basketballs or canned hams.

[quote user="ctid"]because it snows there for 4 months of the year EVERY YEAR [guarenteed] Therefore it is reasonable to commit expenditure to combat the weather. Unlike here where it snows like this once every 18 years. What a stupid statement to make.[/quote]

Exactly. And if vast amounts of money were spent on snow ploughs and the like the exact same people whinging about how the country has come to a halt would whinge about how their precious taxes were being wasted. Put simply they want the moon on a stick.

See also :

Brand and Ross should be sacked..........Carol Thatcher has done nothing wrong. A Venn diagram of people who complained about Brand/Ross and people who use the phrase ''PC Gone Mad'' would be most interesting [;)]

or

Mortgage rates should be lower............Aaarrgh my savings are no longer getting so much interest.

[quote user="AJ"]Game will be on, no doubt about it.

Undersoil heating anyways, and nothing forcasted here weatherwise apart from rain with maybe some sleet. (according to BBC)
[/quote]

no doubt that the pitch will be ok the thing is there fans wont be able to get to Norwich thats their argument

[quote user="AJ"]Game will be on, no doubt about it.

Undersoil heating anyways, and nothing forcasted here weatherwise apart from rain with maybe some sleet. (according to BBC)
[/quote]

no doubt that the pitch will be ok the thing is there fans wont be able to get to Norwich thats their argument

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Exactly. And if vast amounts of money were spent on snow ploughs and the like the exact same people whinging about how the country has come to a halt would whinge about how their precious taxes were being wasted. Put simply they want the moon on a stick.

[/quote]

There`s no need to spend extra money on snowploughs, all local authorities have them. They also have access to a network of agreed contractors for snow clearing.

The biggest issue is with the stockpiles of rocksalt which they have gradually been reducing year on year cos it`s getting warmer and we don`t have winter anymore.

Suffolk has been within 1 run of running out of salt many times over the last few years but the public never knew. They have all been caught out this year because the winter maintenance budgets are spent elsewhere,

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="bristol_canary"]

unfortunately i live on one of the steepest residential hills in europe, which hasnt been gritted. now if i try and drive my front wheel drive car down it. it will be messy! I work 15 miles from where i live and there are no buses.

[/quote]

If it''s one of those 1 in 3 hills that are dotted around the Bristol/Bath area that you live on b_c you''ll find it''s one of the steepest residential streets in the World.

Here''s how you compare at 1 in 3 ie 33.3% with the rest of the World.

Filbert Street so steep it has those famous steps instead of a pavement hits 31.5%.

Filbert Street and 22nd Street in San Francisco are two of the steepest in the Western Hemisphere at a maximum gradient of 31.5%

Baldwin Street in Dunedin, New Zealand is steeper, with a maximum gradient of 1:2.86 or 35%.

Canton Ave in Pittsburgh is also steeper, with a 37% grade.

For comparison: Gas Hill Norfolks steepest hill reaches 16% or 1 in 6 at its steepest.

So double up the incline of gas hill cover it in ice and drive down it? No thanks!!

[/quote]

Crickey no wonder they moved to the Walkers Stadium. - Mind you they seem to have gone down hill since then

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Bristol City say their team are "at their Norfolk hotel."

They will play in their home colours of Red and White.

[/quote]hopefully their meal of traditional local food (meat and dumplings) will lay heavy tonight and leave them sluggish tomoz!!!

hopefully their meal of traditional local food (meat and dumplings) will lay heavy tonight and leave them sluggish tomoz!!!

[:)]

Potentially a good game I would think.............