Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

Do we pay VAT on our season tickets?

just what i posted on another thread, yes we do pay vat on our tickets, but you can look at it a couple of ways, that 2.5% means only about an extra tenner on average for everyone, which is about the amount constantly being touted from various groups when talking about everyone contributing to a supporters fund, or you could view it as a prime example of how the vat reduction was a complete waste of time because it is not being passed on to the consumers, its just taken as more profit for the business. 

20,000 x £10.00 = ?......Er, Mr Doncaster''s annual ''club'' salary (plus pension)....With a few bob left over for some nice carpets or decor somewhere in the infrastructure.....[:|]

don''t like to be pedantic but the VAT reduction works out at about a 2.1% difference not 2.5!

I''m actually even annoying myself by bothering to write this!

[quote user="braham"]don''t like to be pedantic but the VAT reduction works out at about a 2.1% difference not 2.5!

I''m actually even annoying myself by bothering to write this![/quote]Please explain because 17.5 %  reduced to 15%  =  2.5%

The VAT reduction is only a temporary measure so if you''re having over half your holders spreading their payments and it changes back to 17.5% then your business is gonna be shortchanged

Just to follow up on the 2.1%/2.5% thing....and I know I am extremely sad for following this up:

Yes the old VAT rate was 17.5% and has come down to 15%, which is a 2.5% reduction.  However, this is a 2.5% reduction only on the VAT bit of the purchase, the rest of it is as it was.  A standard purchase has two elements to it: the sale price, and the VAT.  We don''t usually see the VAT-less price, as it is usually considered as part of the purchase, but in effect you can usually consider that what you pay for something is actually 117.5% of it''s sale price, it has now been reduced to to 115%. 

Maths shows that the new amount will be 115%/117.5% = 97.87% of the old price, which is a 2.13% saving. 

Using actual figures: an item on sale at £100 ex VAT used to cost £117.50 (ie +17.5%), now it costs £115.00 (ie +15%) - a £2.50 reduction.  However, £2.50 is not 2.5% lower than the original cost - if it were it would be [£117.50 * 97.5% =] £114.56, which it isn''t.  It is £117.5 * 97.87% = £115.   

Boring?  Yes, probably, but then I''m an accountant!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

Just to follow up on the 2.1%/2.5% thing....and I know I am extremely sad for following this up:

Yes the old VAT rate was 17.5% and has come down to 15%, which is a 2.5% reduction.  However, this is a 2.5% reduction only on the VAT bit of the purchase, the rest of it is as it was.  A standard purchase has two elements to it: the sale price, and the VAT.  We don''t usually see the VAT-less price, as it is usually considered as part of the purchase, but in effect you can usually consider that what you pay for something is actually 117.5% of it''s sale price, it has now been reduced to to 115%. 

Maths shows that the new amount will be 115%/117.5% = 97.87% of the old price, which is a 2.13% saving. 

Using actual figures: an item on sale at £100 ex VAT used to cost £117.50 (ie +17.5%), now it costs £115.00 (ie +15%) - a £2.50 reduction.  However, £2.50 is not 2.5% lower than the original cost - if it were it would be [£117.50 * 97.5% =] £114.56, which it isn''t.  It is £117.5 * 97.87% = £115.   

[/quote]

Whatever it works out Branston, I think everyone agree''s its a complete waste of time. VAT reduction simply doesn''t work. Sure, some retailers have passed it on to the consumer, but most are pocketing the difference. Hence the season ticket price query of the OP. The government should have reduced income tax in my opinion, but my real question is - how long must we suffer this un-elected Prime Minister?

We never elect a Prime Minister. We elect MPs from political parties and the party with a majority are free to elect a leader who becomes Prime Minister.

[quote user="Kidderminster Canary"]not sure but I think the VAT reduction was only 6 months, if so no profiteering[/quote]

No, it is in force until January 1 2010 when it will revert to 17.5 per cent.

When the announcement was made, Mr Darling, our Chancellor, hoped that retailers would bring in reductions "as soon as they can."

You are not alone.  The government that introduced it haven''t made the cut on the VAT rates they administer either.

Politicans. You''ve gotta love ''em.

[:D]

[quote user="Felixfan"]

We never elect a Prime Minister. We elect MPs from political parties and the party with a majority are free to elect a leader who becomes Prime Minister.

[/quote]

Got to disagree with you there Felixfan. The party leader is known to everyone at the time of a general election, and most people base their vote on that person or their policies - not the personality of their faceless local MP. In my opinion, if a party decides to change leader whilst in goverment it should trigger an automatic election, either General or between the top 3 politians in that party.

Must admit I don''t like any of ''em though. Guess thats why I spend most of my time following sport, not politics.

[quote user="leedscanary"][quote user="Felixfan"]

[/quote]

Got to disagree with you there Felixfan. The party leader is known to everyone at the time of a general election, and most people base their vote on that person or their policies - not the personality of their faceless local MP. In my opinion, if a party decides to change leader whilst in goverment it should trigger an automatic election, either General or between the top 3 politians in that party.

Must admit I don''t like any of ''em though. Guess thats why I spend most of my time following sport, not politics.

[/quote]much as I agree with most of your points, I think it was taken as a given that Brown was going to take over, I would have thought that everyone who voted labour last time round knew that Blair was going to make way for Brown uncontested, there was even a fictionalised drama series called ''the deal'' that explained it, plus numerous books etc. and was the subject of many discussions about when, not if,  it was going to happen. It may seem wrong, but to have held another general election at the time would have been like sacking a manager from your club after only a few months in charge. As for your faceless local mp, maybe it is more worthwhile voting on them, rather than the party,  as it is those people who help decide the policies, if you object about a certain issue then let them know and if enough people do it then they will make sure that issue is changed to keep their seat, dont forget that a certain local mp and season ticket holder used to be 3nd in command of the whole country a little while ago.   

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

20,000 x £10.00 = ?......Er, Mr Doncaster''s annual ''club'' salary (plus pension)....With a few bob left over for some nice carpets or decor somewhere in the infrastructure.....[:|]

[/quote]

Fish tank?

[quote user="Felixfan"]

[/quote]

but how many would have voted for a labour MP if they knew Gorden Brown would be PM?

Isn''t the critical point that the VAT is due at the time of purchase, therefore casual tickets purchased after the 1st December last year will be deemed to be at the inclusive price with VAT at 15%, rather than the previous 17.5%.

As a matter of interest, if I use the installment plan to pay for next year''s season tickets, assuming that the VAT is subsequently reinstated, will all my payments be deemed to be at 15%, or will those after the change be at the new rate?

Thanks for the explanation BP.  BTW it''s not that boring,  it does demonstrate how we all can be mislead by figures. (unless you''re an accountant)

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

Isn''t the critical point that the VAT is due at the time of purchase, therefore casual tickets purchased after the 1st December last year will be deemed to be at the inclusive price with VAT at 15%, rather than the previous 17.5%.

As a matter of interest, if I use the installment plan to pay for next year''s season tickets, assuming that the VAT is subsequently reinstated, will all my payments be deemed to be at 15%, or will those after the change be at the new rate?

[/quote]

They will all be at 15% as at the time of the sale that was the VAT rate. How long you take to pay it and on what terms does not matter to the VAT man.

Mark .Y.

Thanks for that, Mark Y. That''s how I thought it would work. So, by implication, assuming that renewals hold up at the same levels as last year, the Club will actually have an increase in net revenues

Yes we do and with the reduction in VAT in effect the club have put up ex- VAT prices by 3.03%! For example if we paid £100 for our tickets before, £17.50 went in VAT and the club got £82.50. Now VAT is 15% not 17.5%  with prices" frozen" at £100 the club will get £85. A 3.03% price increase! To me it is not the money it is the duplicitous way the club try to make out they are doing us a favour!

Mello Yello wrote the following post at 24/01/2009 3:41 PM:

x £10.00 = ?......Er, Mr Doncaster''s annual ''club'' salary (plus

pension)....With a few bob left over for some nice carpets or decor

somewhere in the infrastructure.....Indifferent [:|]

As a person who knows a little bit about VAT........what the hell makes you think it pays someone''s salary.......VAT is a tax charged by the HMRC (HER MAJESTY''S REVENUE AND CUSTOMS) and is payable (by the club) to that body..........muppet.

[quote user="porkyp"]

20,000 x £10.00 = ?......Er, Mr Doncaster''s annual ''club'' salary (plus pension)....With a few bob left over for some nice carpets or decor somewhere in the infrastructure.....Indifferent [:|]

As a person who knows a little bit about VAT........what the hell makes you think it pays someone''s salary.......VAT is a tax charged by the HMRC (HER MAJESTY''S REVENUE AND CUSTOMS) and is payable (by the club) to that body..........muppet.
[/quote]

I thought a vat was something you brewed beer in?[:^)].....Pigchops.

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="porkyp"]

20,000 x £10.00 = ?......Er, Mr Doncaster''s annual ''club'' salary (plus pension)....With a few bob left over for some nice carpets or decor somewhere in the infrastructure.....Indifferent [:|]

[/quote]

I thought a vat was something you brewed beer in?[:^)].....Pigchops.

[/quote]

I SAID PIGCHOPS!