Sign in to follow this  
newyorkcanary

Pathetic Hooligans

Hooligans in the MLS?  They barely have supporters and these thugs go overseas to pick a fight with people plainly not interested.  Bad press for English Football to say the least.

Pulled from:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/07/21/crew_side21.ART_ART_07-21-08_C2_R0AQ9IL.html?sid=101

Soccer

West Ham, Crew fans trade blows in stands

Monday,  July 21, 2008 2:55 AM

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

<p>Security staffers try to restore order during a brawl in the stands at Columbus Crew Stadium.</p>

ADAM ALEXANDER | DISPATCH

Security staffers try to restore order during a brawl in the stands at Columbus Crew Stadium.

From the southeastern corner of Crew Stadium came the West Ham United chants: "East! East! East Lon-don!"

From the northeastern came the answer: "Co-lum-bus! Co-lum-bus!"

Yesterday''s war of words turned physical at halftime of the Crew''s exhibition match against West Ham, when a handful of West Ham fans ventured into the heart of the Crew''s supporters section.

A scuffle broke out and stadium security quickly pulled the West Ham interlopers to the stadium concourse. The next few minutes were frantic.

While the West Ham fans were removed to a stair landing on the back side of the stadium, supporters of both teams gathered on the concourse. Several punches were thrown and one West Ham fan was thrown to the ground by security and handcuffed by police, who used pepper spray or mace to help break up the melee.

Police couldn''t confirm the number of arrests and Crew vice president of operations Scott DeBolt said he would have no details "until I get a report, which might not be till (today)."

More fans were seen handcuffed in the parking lots after the game.

Shortly after halftime, West Ham fans unfurled a banner in the stadium''s south end that read "ICF, 30 Years Undefeated."

The Inter City Firm, or ICF, is one of the most notorious hooligan groups in England.

Peter Witham, a fan of the English team Arsenal, said he was on his way to the restroom when he got hit with chemical irritant used by police.

"I''ve never experienced anything like that in my life and I''ve been going to English Premier League games for forever," he said.

One of the fans who entered the Crew''s supporters section was not ejected despite being detained by security for several minutes.

"We just went over for some tea and crumpets and (the Crew fans) got mad," said the man, who identified himself as Dave Simpson from London.

Im so glad I never saw anything like that at my time as West Ham manager. They were better with me in charge. Similarly to here at Norwich. [:)]

[quote user="Glenn Roeder"]Im so glad I never saw anything like that at my time as West Ham manager. They were better with me in charge. Similarly to here at Norwich. [:)][/quote]

Probably not the best thread for your silly game. Go play on your own little thread.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]

"We just went over for some tea and crumpets and (the Crew fans) got mad," said the man, who identified himself as Dave Simpson from London.

[/quote]West Ham fans bagging all the crumpets? No wonder there was trouble!

[quote user="IncH_HigH"]

[quote user="Glenn Roeder"]Im so glad I never saw anything like that at my time as West Ham manager. They were better with me in charge. Similarly to here at Norwich. [:)][/quote]

Probably not the best thread for your silly game. Go play on your own little thread.

[/quote]

Still have that question InchHigh ?

West Ham really have got problems. Not even Millwall have been in the limelight so to speak with issues like this lately. Did they not cause a lot of trouble when they played Chelsea in the cup a few years ago. Lampard getting struck with a coin if I remember rightly and lots of other small objects being thrown on the pitch. Of course the FA will do sod all about it as its West Ham and they seem to be looked upon with affection by the FA.

They were WHU supporters, not NCFC supporters, so why all the pants wetting and embarrassment?  Are you worried people might lump ALL Brits into the same category because of those few melonheads?  That won''t happen in America.  We''re pretty open minded and understand individualism.  Rest assured, my people won''t do anything more than get a laugh out of it, no serious attitude problem.

Absolute embarassment to the English game...

Buch of neandrothals, I thought those days had long gone [:@] These people (i) realise they are complete idiots (ii) need to get jobs (iii) need to be banned from all football matches forever [:@]

Shortly after halftime, West Ham fans unfurled a banner in the stadium''s south end that read "ICF, 30 Years Undefeated."

The Inter City Firm, or ICF, is one of the most notorious hooligan groups in England.

[/quote]

absolute tools, football hooliganism in England stopped a couple of decades ago

[quote user="Houston Canary"]They were WHU supporters, not NCFC supporters, so why all the pants wetting and embarrassment?  Are you worried people might lump ALL Brits into the same category because of those few melonheads?  That won''t happen in America.  We''re pretty open minded and understand individualism.  Rest assured, my people won''t do anything more than get a laugh out of it, no serious attitude problem.[/quote]

The UK had a errible reputation in the 70''s 80''s and 90''s with reagards to hooliganism, but whilst other major footballing countries such as Italy, Germany and Holland have remained n the past the UK has gone to great lengths to improe stadium security and reduce hooliganism. The last thing we need is pricks like those at Columbus ruining all of the hard work that has been done in the last few years. It doesn''t matter who they ''follow'' the label is attached to all English teams, and that includes Norwich. We aren''t living in he 80''s anymore...

[quote user="CanaryRyan"]

Bring the ICF down to Carrow Road, we''ll see who''s undefeated then ;)

[/quote]

Tell you what we''ll send you down to the East end and then you can say that...

Or perhaps you''ll take on the Red Army, or any other firm? talk is cheap but you don''t want to get messed up with those psycho''s...

[quote user="Houston Canary"]They were WHU supporters, not NCFC supporters, so why all the pants wetting and embarrassment?  Are you worried people might lump ALL Brits into the same category because of those few melonheads?  That won''t happen in America.  We''re pretty open minded and understand individualism.  Rest assured, my people won''t do anything more than get a laugh out of it, no serious attitude problem.[/quote]''my people''   ?    George, is that you ?

[quote user="The Walking Man"][quote user="CanaryRyan"]

[/quote]

Or perhaps you''ll take on the Red Army, or any other firm? talk is cheap but you don''t want to get messed up with those psycho''s...

[/quote]

The guy was only joking, that''s why he put the wink at the end of the sentance.

[quote user="The Walking Man"][quote user="CanaryRyan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Being an American whose last match at Carrow Road was in 1994, does Norwich have a "Firm?"  I know we''re a family-club, but you do hear from time to time stories from opoosing fans about how they got roughed up in and around Carrow Road.  I would be disappointed if we did, but how many teams actually have a semi-organized group of fans looking to start trouble?

[quote user="newyorkcanary"][quote user="The Walking Man"][quote user="CanaryRyan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Being an American whose last match at Carrow Road was in 1994, does Norwich have a "Firm?"  I know we''re a family-club, but you do hear from time to time stories from opoosing fans about how they got roughed up in and around Carrow Road.  I would be disappointed if we did, but how many teams actually have a semi-organized group of fans looking to start trouble?

[/quote]I very much doubt it.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"][quote user="The Walking Man"][quote user="CanaryRyan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I believe there is a few lads who call themselves the NHS (norwich hit squad) or at least they used to be. Might have had something to do with that "tear up" at Leicester last seadson.

[/quote]

I seem to remeber The Service Crew of Leeds taking care of the ICF quite frequently back in the day. 30 years undefeated my arse.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Norwich once had a group called ''The City Boys'' They used to dress up in shocking jumpers and walk around with fake limps mugging school kids. I think one of them may have thrown a punch once but was promplty slapped like a girl so the whole ''City Boys'' thing was disbanded so they could go home and knit.

In answer New York Canary, The most violent thing to happen at Carrow Rd in the last few years was a mild incident between two bar-optimization-executives ( bar stockers) as to who could fill up the 7up shelf the quickest!!![:P]

[quote user="CanaryRyan"]

[/quote]

what a nonse.

does Norwich have a "Firm?"  - NYC

I read a book a couple of winters ago about various firms, and NCFC got mentioned a couple of times. The visiting firms made their standard arrangements for per-game fighting, so they must have had someone to call in NC to get things set up.  That would indicate to me that we did have a firm if we don''t any longer.

I am aware of the hooliganism from previous decades to whomever explained it all.  Perhaps other people thought all English were like that, but other than making a few jokes about it, nobody I know in the US ever thought that was representative of the Brits.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nothing major, but reading a book about the Red Army (Man Utd''s firm), apparently when they came down here and took the Barclay everyone took off except a few skinhead ladies, needless to say that they got a good seeing to although I think they stopped short of raping them...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe Norwich had a large branch of the Combat 18 but they werent really associated with football. My most vivid memory of them was from the Ireland vs England friendly match of 1995 which had to be cancelled. A group of English fans in the upper deck ripped up seats and threw pieces of wood and metal at spectators below and onto the field minutes after Ireland took a 1-0 lead. There was a massive flag that stated ''Combat 18 - Norwich''. Does anyone else remeber this?

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

does Norwich have a "Firm?"  - NYC

I read a book a couple of winters ago about various firms, and NCFC got mentioned a couple of times. The visiting firms made their standard arrangements for per-game fighting, so they must have had someone to call in NC to get things set up.  That would indicate to me that we did have a firm if we don''t any longer.

I am aware of the hooliganism from previous decades to whomever explained it all.  Perhaps other people thought all English were like that, but other than making a few jokes about it, nobody I know in the US ever thought that was representative of the Brits.

[/quote]

It''s probably years of Uefa and Fifa tarring us s hooligans and threatening us with bans etc and then seeing scenes such as in Italy, Poland, Germany, Holland all get away relatively scott free...

Love the way they sing East London.....like there are any white people let alone West Ham fans left in East London!!!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Are you worried people might lump ALL Brits into the same category because of those few melonheads? 

[/quote]

This is an amusing gag, HC, credit where credit''s due. [:)]