Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Unable to compete with Stockport of League 1, Great.

From the BBC website:

Stockport win race for Thompson

Linfield''s leading goalscorer Peter Thompson

Linfield''s leading goalscorer Peter Thompson has seven NI caps

Northern Ireland striker Peter Thompson is to join Stockport County after Irish League champions Linfield accepted a bid from the League One club.

Norwich City had also made an offer but Linfield said it had been unacceptable.

The exact fee has not been revealed but it is believed to be in the region of £100,000 plus add-ons.

Thompson, who has seven NI caps and was the Premier League''s top scorer last season, will now negotiate terms with the Edgeley Park outfit.

Thompson netted 44 times last season to help Linfield claim a third successive league and cup double.

A statement from Linfield said: "Peter has been an exemplary sportsman and ambassador for this club and his prolific goalscoring record bears favourable comparison with the greats of this club.

"Everyone at Linfield extends to Peter every best wish and hopes for success in his future playing career."

Linfield manager David Jeffrey had said on Tuesday that he was resigned to losing his top scorer.

"It would not be morally right to even think about standing in Peter''s way," said Jeffrey.

"He has served us fantastically well and was the first to turn full-time.

"He made a career decision then and wants to play at the highest level he possibly can and he is in the final year of his contract with us.

"It will leave us with a massive hole to try to fill but he goes with our blessing and the club wants to facilitate a smooth passage for him."

Jeffrey praised Stockport for the way they had handled the negotiations.

"They have been professional about it and the fact that their manager and chief executive broke off from a pre-season training trip in Italy to come to Belfast showed their desire for Peter," he added.

And on top of that the lad did not take Worthy''s advice.

Although, of course, since City didn''t bid enough he really didn''t have much choice.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Although, of course, since City didn''t bid enough he really didn''t have much choice.

OTBC

[/quote]

On other groups, dear chap, you''d be called a troll.  So I am going to be the first to come out with it here and say you ARE a troll.

[quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

On other groups, dear chap, you''d be called a troll.  So I am going to be the first to come out with it here and say you ARE a troll.

[/quote]

Trolls have fun - except in Essex. It''s full of Sharons.

OTBC

Camul, I''m not sure that you''re the first to call BBB a troll, I think that I have tagged him as such once or twice. The only thing is that most of the FMs here quite happily put up with his attention seeking crap and even interact with him...

I''m sorry guys but for once I have to agree with BBB. It''s Stockport County FFS!!!!  I mean............. WHO?????

OK, so the guy may not be tried and tested at this level but by all accounts he is prolific and I would say, definitely worth out bidding little SC. With that sort of goal scoring record I would say he''s worth taking a chance on  He''s made the International scene already and could be exactly the sort of bargain we''re looking for.  TAKE A CHANCE GLENN, go on !!!!!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Do you really think that it is because we can''t compete rather than that Stockport have bid more than Roeder thinks he''s worth. I''m assuming that this is a wind up because you are a lot of things[;)] but I''m certain that you''re not a simpleton. [:)]  

maybe Stockport valued him more highly? I am sure we can outbid them if required.

I can''t believe I''ve allowed myself to reply to this bottom dribble, but hey ho. Players are bought and sold based on the valuations of the buyers and sellers. If Norwich city value him at 50 k and Stockport value him at 100 K then he''s gonna go to tha latter. It''s a bit like having a crap old car that you''re trying to sell in the local paper. It''s probably worth more to you  than on the open market because at the end of the day it get''s you round town. If a professional dealer came and offered you the book price you''d tell him to stick up his backside. However if some local numpty came round and offered your inflated asking price you''d bite his hand off, that was Stockport. No disrepect to Stockport but Thomson is more likely to be a success at that level, score more goals for the money paid out on him and therefore Stockport''s valuation of him is higher.

No, your crap old car analogy is wrong. This is a young man who can put the ball in the back of the net, not a jaded old has-been such as pieman.

For the reported sums I would think this is a win win gamble. A footballing gamble.  

Since we are about to sign Bell for £600,000 we can obviously match Stockports valuation IF WE WANTED TOO! The point is we don''t.

I rather think this is Mr. Roeder''s style. I think it''s what happened with Tiny.I wouldn.t want to sell him my stuff." Go on, it''s a steal at £150""Nah mate, £80 tops""Tell you what, I''ll do it for £120. free delivery thrown in"Roeder walks away"£120?  .....  £100???  ........ " to a rapidly receding back ....

[quote user="astrodyne"]

No, your crap old car analogy is wrong. This is a young man who can put the ball in the back of the net, not a jaded old has-been such as pieman.

For the reported sums I would think this is a win win gamble. A footballing gamble.  

[/quote]

Totally agree with you Astro! Hasn''t he scored something like 240 odd goals in 300 odd games?  That is fantastic by anyones standards. He''s sooooo worth a gamble and could turn out to be the find of the season. 

[URL=http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dontfeedthetrollls2.jpg][IMG]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6406/dontfeedthetrollls2.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

God! How many times in how many threads does it need to be said, before it actually sinks in.A bid has been accepted, the player hasn''t signed for anyone.... yet.

I find it incredible that people can simply take a headline and run

with it without actually bothering to look at the content.  If

they did, they''d realise that, as ob1 says, he hasn''t actually signed

for anyone yet, Stockport have simply had their bid accepted. 

[quote user="Duffman"][URL=http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dontfeedthetrollls2.jpg][IMG]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6406/dontfeedthetrollls2.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Duffman I''m going to use that as my avatar!!

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Since we are about to sign Bell for £600,000 we can obviously match Stockports valuation IF WE WANTED TOO! The point is we don''t.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly Hairy, he''s no more than an average non league player, and I would have been furious at Roeder if we had paid over the odds for him.

I too have to agree with Wiz here - why on earth would we take a £100k gamble on, let''s face it, someone who is at best, a part-timer and at worst, an amateur.     The problem is that with the complete lack of signings this summer, we''re all falling for the headlines and making hysterical outbursts relating to players we''ve never heard of or would be slating as the new Peter Thorne...!!!

We would take a gamble on a part-timer because he is a FOOTBALL player and we are a FOOTBALL club. Alot of people who support this club have their heads burried too far into the accounts, and are not looking at the FOOTBALL.

[quote user="astrodyne"]

[/quote]

Cheers for that :(

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]I too have to agree with Wiz here - why on earth would we take a £100k gamble on, let''s face it, someone who is at best, a part-timer and at worst, an amateur.     The problem is that with the complete lack of signings this summer, we''re all falling for the headlines and making hysterical outbursts relating to players we''ve never heard of or would be slating as the new Peter Thorne...!!![/quote]I would like to point out that he is one of Linfields only full time pro players.  I''m sure we can tempt him with personal terms/up the bid if roeder really wants him.

Pieman - if you want to take that strenuous link to heart then I''m sorry but there is not much I can do for you. Surely you could guess that my pieman was a reference to a certain tub of lard we had on loan last year?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Nice to know you''ve been paying attention, Arthur...[/quote]you beat me to it!!Arthur,1) he hasn''t even signed for anyone yet2) we may place an improved bid3) if we dont place one, then surely that suggests that Roeder doesn''t rate the lad that muchwe obviously could outbid Stockport if we wanted to!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"]Outbid by bloomin Stockport, it does not get much sadder![/quote]

Just out of curiousity, can you read?