Sign in to follow this  
Mello Yello

Adams says his piece....

From the ''heevin nooz'' for those who may be interested:

Adams hits back after being axed

DAVID CUFFLEY, EVENING NEWS SPORT
17 May 2008 09:13

Sacked Academy coach Neil Adams has broken his silence for the first time on what he described as an “unwarranted and unprofessional” attack on him by Norwich City manager Glenn Roeder.

The 42-year-old former City winger has lost his part-time coaching job with the club''s under-14s as part of a backroom clear-out by Roeder.

Evening News columnist Adams, who holds a UEFA A coaching licence, had worked at the Academy for seven years.

The Canaries announced the under-14 post would be taken over by whoever succeeds Darren Bloodworth - who has resigned as education and welfare officer - as part of restructuring at Colney.

But Adams said his departure was “not unexpected” in the wake of Roeder''s thinly-veiled attack on him after the home match against Barnsley in February.

Roeder was angry after Adams had spoken of the merits of including Darren Huckerby in the side.

“It''s unfortunate because I enjoy coaching and have worked hard to achieve high coaching qualifications since retiring from playing, and trust me, you don''t do it for the money that you''re paid as a part-time Academy coach,” said Adams. “You mainly do it for the love of the game.

“But I''ve been in the game long enough to realise that changes are part and parcel of football, and the manager has every right to bring in whoever he wants to the club. That''s how it works, and I''ve got no problem with that at all.

“But what I am unhappy with is the way that it has been handled and the reasons I have been given as to why. Because if the manager doesn''t want one of his part-time Academy coaches also working in the media then that would be understandable and I could accept that.

“So why not just say as much? To suggest that it''s for any other reason is simply ducking the issue.”

Adams said Roeder would not admit to him that his post-match comments about “nasty, irritating people” who “will never manage a football club” were aimed at him.

“The most disappointing thing in all of this is that the manager has denied that the stinging rebuke that he delivered just a few days after I had given my opinion on the merits of Darren Huckerby''s inclusion in the side was aimed in my direction,” said Adams.

“Anyone reading them would know who he was referring to, irrespective of the fact that he didn''t name any names. People aren''t stupid. I considered those comments to be completely unwarranted and unprofessional.

“It has left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth, I have to admit, but that''s life. It wasn''t unexpected and at the end of the day there are far more important issues for the club at present than the departure of a part-time Academy coach.

“And one thing this won''t do is dampen my support for the team. We all want City to do well, and just like everyone else I hope they have a fantastic season. That goes without saying.”

City have confirmed that Adams, Bloodworth, assistant physiotherapist Peter Shaw and Academy physio Rod Dyer have left the club, but denied that sports scientist Dave Carolan and chief scout Alan Wood have also been axed. However, the Evening News understands that both men are leaving.

interesting stuff...

Adams comes out and says Roeders unprofessional.... Rossi Jarvis says he wasnt treated fairly.... i know both men have reason to be bitter having been released but is "good ship Roeder" about to spring a massive leak?

jas :)

Jas - Although id agree with the Adams conflict. I wouldnt take Rossi Jarvis opinion, most people agree he wasnt really good enough, and it was no surprise he was moved on. Whereas Adams has a genuine reason to feel grieved at the way hes been treated. But the more I look back on it, im still startled by the whole ''Never managed above under 10s'' speech Roeder came out with.

I''m glad that Adams has spoken out, Roeder''s attack on him was completely out of order.

I haven''t been a huge fan of Neil Adams media work mainly because until this week''s sacking he''s always had to '' sit on the fence '' with any negative comments regarding Norwich City. Perhaps we''ll now get to hear his true feelings.....

Whilst I think Glenn Roeder will probably turn out to be more good than bad for the Club I can''t help but feel a little uneasy as to how he''s dealt with one or two issues on and off the field. He''s taken on a big gamble coming here in the first place, and, having achieved success by keeping City in the Championship, he now looks in danger of alienating the fans.

Of course if he''s successful all will be forgiven as fans have short memories in the good times but if not all this could well come back to '' bite him on the bum ''.

i think g.roeder has got alot of hard work to do to sway the fans back in his favour.the man is just plain useless,if he think he can get players of hucks ability to come here who are better and be HEROS he had better think again.superman was a HERO but he wouldnt sign for NORWICH.he has not got the bottle to tell N.ADAMSthe truth why he had to leave.N.ADAMS would make a better manager than GLENDA ROEDER.if he thinks norwich have got a 3 year plan to get in the premership wake up GLENDA you wont be here then.thank god

[quote user="cityangel"]

I''m glad that Adams has spoken out, Roeder''s attack on him was completely out of order.

[/quote]Also nice to see Neil Adams comments come across as honest with no biterness unlike ''And yet these nasty, irritating people that try and cause confrontation

between myself and a player, between myself and supporters, are just

bad people''.  So Norwich City Football Club come out of this minus one coach who cares about the club - And Roeder ends up looking vindictive.  Big mistake Mr Roeder me thinks.

[quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Also nice to see Neil Adams comments come across as honest with no biterness unlike ''And yet these nasty, irritating people that try and cause confrontation between myself and a player, between myself and supporters, are just bad people''. 

So Norwich City Football Club come out of this minus one coach who cares about the club - And Roeder ends up looking vindictive.  Big mistake Mr Roeder me thinks.

[/quote]Roeder is vindictive. As 1st Wizard said in an earlier post; "we are on the road to hell in a handcart". Roeder keeps telling us; " I like to live on the edge". Lets hope he falls off the edge before we reach our destination.

"What I am unhappy with is the way that it has been handled".

Adams, Huckerby, Jarvis, the backroom staff......

I do hope there''s not a pattern emerging.   An awful lot of people seem to be unhappy with the "way things are being handled" by our esteemed Manager.   Hopefully the lack of eagerness by Fozzy and Doc to put pen to paper doesn''t mean that even those he wants to stay aren''t happy.  Having shipped out a fair proportion of the club, if he can''t keep those he wants to keep, things are goign to start looking very grim.

[quote user="Empty Mirror"]

"What I am unhappy with is the way that it has been handled".

Adams, Huckerby, Jarvis, the backroom staff......

I do hope there''s not a pattern emerging.   An awful lot of people seem to be unhappy with the "way things are being handled" by our esteemed Manager.   Hopefully the lack of eagerness by Fozzy and Doc to put pen to paper doesn''t mean that even those he wants to stay aren''t happy.  Having shipped out a fair proportion of the club, if he can''t keep those he wants to keep, things are goign to start looking very grim.

[/quote]Am losing all the enthusiasm for the club. I would love to be positive and to look on the bright side. I am afraid that our manager comes over as a dark cloud hanging over the club. He repeatedly behaves in a manner which re-enforces that feeling.

Mr Roeder seems to be making himself very un-popular. Their are alot of fans who like Neil Adams, myself included, and we are all now starting to feel who is next for the axe! It seems like anyone who speaks out and voices an opinion is fired! What players are going to want to come here and play for a manager like this? So far Roeder has attracted no-one and its no wonder with an attitude like this. Who the hell does Roeder think he is? Hitler??????

I personally don''t care what Adam''s opinion of GR is, I, as a free thinking human being will make and form my own judgement about a person on merit and results.  I still back GR 100% and will do so for as long as I think he has earned it.

So he''s had a clear out of dead wood, and one of those happens to be Adam''s, another is Huckerby and a few other players, what''s the big deal, and in the grand scheme of things do we really give a jot.  6 months from now it will all be forgotten, fans will move on eventually and support the players that will be playing in yella n green, it''s always happened and will continue to happen.  It''s called life, and it moves on, and so must we.

Don''t be fooled - Roeder is a tough b****r.  He was as a player as well and, in general, took few prisoners in his playing days.

Inevitably that means he is going to make enemies but if he takes you soaring up the table does that really matter? 

At the risk of courting unpopularity I have my own view about the Neil Adams situation.  I know nothing of the background to it (and there many be other matters of which neither side have yet spoken) but I do know, or believe I do, that you cannot have a situation where a paid employee of the club is commenting on club matters as to team selection.

Neil Adams should either have stuck to being a coach or switched to being a media commentator.  I''ve been in journalism for over 50 years and I have yet to meet a single person who successfully wore "two hats" in the way that Mr Adams attempted to do.  Every single attempt I have known has resulted in the person having their nether regions snagged on the razor wire: the only debate is how long it''s going to take.

If you are an employee you can''t be an independent commentator and, in my opinion, neither should you be commentating on team selection matters as an employee.  That is entirely the responsibility of the Manager, whoever he is.

Can you imagine what Ferguson would do if a member of his staff - whether just the U14 coach or not - went on air to give everyone his views about The Master''s team selection?  And would they dare?

Perhaps Mr Adams failed to notice that you might have to move away from "nice little Norwich" if you really want success?  As far as I know Roeder has never brooked interference from anyone and my hunch is that he is not going to start any time soon.

[quote user="camuldonum"]

Don''t be fooled - Roeder is a tough b****r.  He was as a player as well and, in general, took few prisoners in his playing days.

Inevitably that means he is going to make enemies but if he takes you soaring up the table does that really matter? 

At the risk of courting unpopularity I have my own view about the Neil Adams situation.  I know nothing of the background to it (and there many be other matters of which neither side have yet spoken) but I do know, or believe I do, that you cannot have a situation where a paid employee of the club is commenting on club matters as to team selection.

Neil Adams should either have stuck to being a coach or switched to being a media commentator.  I''ve been in journalism for over 50 years and I have yet to meet a single person who successfully wore "two hats" in the way that Mr Adams attempted to do.  Every single attempt I have known has resulted in the person having their nether regions snagged on the razor wire: the only debate is how long it''s going to take.

If you are an employee you can''t be an independent commentator and, in my opinion, neither should you be commentating on team selection matters as an employee.  That is entirely the responsibility of the Manager, whoever he is.

Can you imagine what Ferguson would do if a member of his staff - whether just the U14 coach or not - went on air to give everyone his views about The Master''s team selection?  And would they dare?

Perhaps Mr Adams failed to notice that you might have to move away from "nice little Norwich" if you really want success?  As far as I know Roeder has never brooked interference from anyone and my hunch is that he is not going to start any time soon.

[/quote]

Fantastic post

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Fantastic post

[/quote]

Yep fantastic is the word , spot on yellows 49 and spot on Camuldonum, you lovely old boy.[Y] arrdee.

[/quote]Doing both jobs was not what Roeder objected to. Adams has just said that he would have no problem with that and goes on to explain that he is unhappy with remarks ROeder made to the media. Ferguson would not behave in that way with regard to a member of his staff and then deny later that the remarks made were not to him, when it was blatantly obvious they were. Adams was asked if he would have Hucks in the SQUAD and he said that he would if he was fit. If Norwich go soaring up the table it won''t matter to the majority. IF.!!

Roeder is certainly making enemies , not necesarily about what he does, but in the way he goes about what he does.

Replacing "nice little Norwich" with "nasty little Norwich" is a recipe for disaster, which unfortunately in many fans minds is just around the corner.

Excellent post, Camul. Once again demonstrates that being an "outsider" does not mean you can''t make meaningful & intelligent comments about NCFC. More power to you..

[/quote]

Yep, agreed that this is a top post and I can accept all you say about the conflict of interests issue. BUT... You cant get away from the fact this has been handled very poorly again, with more dirty washing aired in public and another popular figure expressing discontent. This is not the way to manage these situations. We need a manager who brings everyone along with him to achieve success and this falling out is another un-necessary fracturing of public support. It could so easily have been handled possitively (as could Huckerby''s departure) with a little more respect and honesty.

[/quote]

It''s not just Roeder that won''t accept criticism at the club, whether it be constructive, a difference in opinion or just another person''s observation......there are a few ''others''....

Regardless of what Adams said concerning Huckerby and his selection, I personally don''t think or accept that Glenn''s retort - which I deem as ''spiteful'' (and perhaps vindictive) was acceptable, and was certainly in my opinion unwarranted; as it was only an opinion in reply to a question from a listener. At no time did he slate Roeder or the coaching staff for the non-selection of Huckerby. It was Roeder who publically became irate and annoyed, for what?      

If Glenn Roeder is an autocratic manager and commands respect, there''s a possibility that he won''t get it.....If he''s a harsh but fair disciplinarian and diplomatic manager, he''ll get that respect. You can run a tight ship through fear with an unhappy crew, or an efficient and professional ship with a happy crew.  

I appreciate that Glenn has kept us in the Championship, and I''m prepared to give him the time required, to get the club ship-shape and hopefully bring us the success in football that the NCFC support yearns for. I just think he needs to perhaps ''laugh it off'' when some folk have an opinion or a criticism - which he feels is incorrect or way off the mark.....I just think he reacts rather abjectively, in his defence of any criticism.....

But it''s only my personal opinion.       

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

It''s not just Roeder that won''t accept criticism at the club, whether it be constructive, a difference in opinion or just another person''s observation......there are a few ''others''....

Regardless of what Adams said concerning Huckerby and his selection, I personally don''t think or accept that Glenn''s retort - which I deem as ''spiteful'' (and perhaps vindictive) was acceptable, and was certainly in my opinion unwarranted; as it was only an opinion in reply to a question from a listener. At no time did he slate Roeder or the coaching staff for the non-selection of Huckerby. It was Roeder who publically became irate and annoyed, for what?      

If Glenn Roeder is an autocratic manager and commands respect, there''s a possibility that he won''t get it.....If he''s a harsh but fair disciplinarian and diplomatic manager, he''ll get that respect. You can run a tight ship through fear with an unhappy crew, or an efficient and professional ship with a happy crew.  

I appreciate that Glenn has kept us in the Championship, and I''m prepared to give him the time required, to get the club ship-shape and hopefully bring us the success in football that the NCFC support yearns for. I just think he needs to perhaps ''laugh it off'' when some folk have an opinion or a criticism - which he feels is incorrect or way off the mark.....I just think he reacts rather abjectively, in his defence of any criticism.....

But it''s only my personal opinion.       

[/quote]Fabulous Post.

Adams seems like a nice bloke but he was part of the ''little Norwich'' mentality that I and others have professed to dislike. It may just be that Roeder was fed up with this jobs for the boys mentality that has existed at carrow road for far too long. This led him to make remarks in the press so that everyone knew his position. I think he wants his position to be known (re this comment and the ''money available'' one) as I feel that there is a some sort of major power struggle going on behind the clubs doors. Smith and Jones have not been ''seen'' for what seems an eternity, and there is a real lack of comment from any of the other major players towards the issues of the past few weeks.

Seems very strange to me.....[*-)]

[quote user="astrodyne"]

Adams seems like a nice bloke but he was part of the ''little Norwich'' mentality that I and others have professed to dislike. It may just be that Roeder was fed up with this jobs for the boys mentality that has existed at carrow road for far too long. This led him to make remarks in the press so that everyone knew his position. I think he wants his position to be known (re this comment and the ''money available'' one) as I feel that there is a some sort of major power struggle going on behind the clubs doors. Smith and Jones have not been ''seen'' for what seems an eternity, and there is a real lack of comment from any of the other major players towards the issues of the past few weeks.

Seems very strange to me.....[*-)]

[/quote]I think his piece about Gunny''s sterling work was pretty much a ''thanks, but when we get a new goalkeeping coach'' your off as well. 

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Also nice to see Neil Adams comments come across as honest with no biterness unlike ''And yet these nasty, irritating people that try and cause confrontation between myself and a player, between myself and supporters, are just bad people''. 

So Norwich City Football Club come out of this minus one coach who cares about the club - And Roeder ends up looking vindictive.  Big mistake Mr Roeder me thinks.

[/quote]Roeder is vindictive. As 1st Wizard said in an earlier post; "we are on the road to hell in a handcart". Roeder keeps telling us; " I like to live on the edge". Lets hope he falls off the edge before we reach our destination.[/quote]

I can only agree with you 100% tribes, GR is a spiteful and nasty fool imo, and I can only despise him now after the Hucks farce!.[:@]

And I believe that Adams is more qualified to coach players then Rodent is.................perhaps that explains Ratty''s attitude in all this!.[:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="tribes"][quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Roeder is vindictive. As 1st Wizard said in an earlier post; "we are on the road to hell in a handcart". Roeder keeps telling us; " I like to live on the edge". Lets hope he falls off the edge before we reach our destination.[/quote]

I can only agree with you 100% tribes, GR is a spiteful and nasty fool imo, and I can only despise him now after the Hucks farce!.[:@]

And I believe that Adams is more qualified to coach players then Rodent is.................perhaps that explains Ratty''s attitude in all this!.[:|]

[/quote]

Ahhhhhhhhh back to the childish name calling I see, some things never change, or do they, flip-flop-flip-flop.  You wait and see, if GR does well this transfer window and then Norwich do well this coming season you will be kissing his feet and calling him the messiah [;)]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="tribes"][quote user="AndyJR"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]Also nice to see Neil Adams comments come across as honest with no biterness unlike ''And yet these nasty, irritating people that try and cause confrontation between myself and a player, between myself and supporters, are just bad people''.  So Norwich City Football Club come out of this minus one coach who cares about the club - And Roeder ends up looking vindictive.  Big mistake Mr Roeder me thinks.[/quote]Roeder is vindictive. As 1st Wizard said in an earlier post; "we are on the road to hell in a handcart". Roeder keeps telling us; " I like to live on the edge". Lets hope he falls off the edge before we reach our destination.[/quote]

[/quote]Oh god.

I agree with both camul and mello here. Adams really actually needed to be relieved of this duty of his. Now that he is finally "free" of the club, his commentary might be more open to free opinion. I am concerned about roeder''s fantastic ability to polarise fans and staff at most of his former clubs. He has an even better ability than grant and worthy for not accepting that he mucked up. Sometimes, even though you might be a strong manager, you need to admit you got it wrong and sit down and work out how to get it right. I feel his comments were out of order about adams (because they were) and like-wise to cureton. Sometimes it seems glenn has a fixed opinion in his mind and that anybody who disagrees or dosn''t follow that opinion are dealt with out-of-hand and coldly.

[/quote]

Can''t argue with this, exactly how I feel. Good on ya sport

[quote user="Fellas"]I agree with both camul and mello here. Adams really actually needed to be relieved of this duty of his. Now that he is finally "free" of the club, his commentary might be more open to free opinion. I am concerned about roeder''s fantastic ability to polarise fans and staff at most of his former clubs. He has an even better ability than grant and worthy for not accepting that he mucked up. Sometimes, even though you might be a strong manager, you need to admit you got it wrong and sit down and work out how to get it right. I feel his comments were out of order about adams (because they were) and like-wise to cureton. Sometimes it seems glenn has a fixed opinion in his mind and that anybody who disagrees or dosn''t follow that opinion are dealt with out-of-hand and coldly.
[/quote]

Like some of the posters on here then [;)][:)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Ahhhhhhhhh back to the childish name calling I see, some things never change, or do they, flip-flop-flip-flop.   [;)][/quote]

Oh the wonderful taste of fools irony!.[:D]