Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Fozzy signs contract

"I never doubted he would sign again for us. I''m not surprised that

there''s been speculation about other clubs but once I''d talked to him

about my plans he was always keen to sign as he, like me, is ambitious.

"He will continue to be our captain and our driving force and he will be looking to lead us to a top six finish."

So yes he is captain again for next season.

I have to say I''m a bit disappointed by this.

If he''s so committed to the cause why only a 1 year deal? Why all the fannying around about returning to Scotland etc - if he wants to get us promoted then why would he want to leave afterwards?

I think there are better players out there and I''m not convinced by him. Not convinced he should be captain again either.

jetstream[quote user="Big Dave"]

The reason for 1 year is just because he is ambitious. If we have another year of dross, then he can walk away for free. If we have a good year, then of course he will be happy signing again. I have no problem with that, he just has ambitions to play for a successful team, Jockland and at the highest level possible.

Good on ya Fuzzy.

[/quote]i think big dave has got it right here.he is ambitious, if we go up he will stay, but he wouldnt wanna stay at a lower championship team with no future...

I think that is right too - and at the end of the day Fozzie isn''t actually renowned for settling in any one place for long.  Indeed, it was only a few weeks ago that we were told his G-f/Mrs wanted to go back to Scotland.

But he''s the CAPTAIN

How does that look to the other players?

"I''m going to do my best t drive us forward to get promoted...but if I fail then I''m off somewhere else to see what I can get"

That''s not ''ambition'' that''s selfishness.

Fine, keep him as a squad player on that basis if you must but it''s not the attitude of a leader is it?

thats the point, he is captain, he is here to say cmon lets get up there, he doesnt want to failproviding were near top 6 im sure that would be enough to keep him.he is ambitious and as a consequence he isnt thinking about leaving, just back up incase.

[quote user="jetstream"]But he''s the CAPTAIN How does that look to the other players? "I''m going to do my best t drive us forward to get promoted...but if I fail then I''m off somewhere else to see what I can get" That''s not ''ambition'' that''s selfishness. Fine, keep him as a squad player on that basis if you must but it''s not the attitude of a leader is it?[/quote]

WHAT IF thats all we have offered and we have highly incentivised him to earn another year?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="jetstream"]But he''s the CAPTAIN How does that look to the other players? "I''m going to do my best t drive us forward to get promoted...but if I fail then I''m off somewhere else to see what I can get" That''s not ''ambition'' that''s selfishness. Fine, keep him as a squad player on that basis if you must but it''s not the attitude of a leader is it?[/quote]

WHAT IF thats all we have offered and we have highly incentivised him to earn another year?

[/quote]If thats the case Roeder don''t particularly rate him

[quote user="me"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

[/quote]If thats the case Roeder don''t particularly rate him[/quote]no, it means he thinks fozzy has more to offer and he wants to see it.

[quote user="me"][quote user="can u sit down please"]

[/quote]

If thats the case Roeder don''t particularly rate him
[/quote]

Is that the case? Or is that the way to motivate a highly motivated player?

Pleased he is staying as he''s not a bad player, the team plays better with him in it and he seems like a good bloke to have around the place.

Very concerned though over this 1 year contract. Would be very interested to know if its down to us only offering him 1 year or his requirement. If the latter then in my view its a slippery slope for us to get onto if we are so desperate to sign up players we are prepared to give them deals that enable them to walk away and sign for other clubs ona  free if they have a half decent season. Also agree it is not really the message you want your captain to be sending out. The captain should be someone who is committed and who has bought into the long term vision of what Glen is trying to achieve.

[quote user="jetstream"]He''s been making noises about leaving since January! Hardly the action of a committed player is it?[/quote]

I recall that his comments were more about the club showing ambition to match his own, rather than necessarily wanting to leave.  Indeed, now that he has signed, does it not suggest that someone somewhere has managed to convince him that this ambition is actually in place?

"quote something he has said then"

I''m busy at work at the moment so I can''t trawl through it all but it was to the effect that he would leave if the Board failed to show ambition, then there were quotes about the other Clubs interested in him, offers from other Championship teams etc

[quote user="jetstream"]"quote something he has said then"

I''m busy at work at the moment so I can''t trawl through it all but it was to the effect that he would leave if the Board failed to show ambition, then there were quotes about the other Clubs interested in him, offers from other Championship teams etc[/quote]very...and i know he said some stuff but as branston? pointed out, it was about the club matching his ambitions.not him leaving.dont forget, agents stir up alot of shite as well.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

[quote user="TheRatAxe"]Would rather he had left , another very very average player in the team for next season .
[/quote]

An average player that we badly missed when he wasnt playing.....

[/quote]

Exactly, I think he will do a job, can''t get any worse than what we had before he came along.  Good move [Y]

I''m personally happy that he''s signed. Under no illusions that he''s a world beater, but he''s solid and at least tries to be creative. And given our threadbare squad it''s much better to have a settled pro who we know will do a job, when we''re going to have so many (hopefully) unknowns coming into the squad.

Can''t believe the negativity surrounding the one-year thing either. As we didn''t pay a transfer fee, it''s not like we need to protect our investment with a long-term contract. If he''s good next year and we want to keep him then the ball''s in our court - if he''s average, or gets a nasty injury (always possible I think in his case, I get the sense he''s that sort of unlucky player) then we''re not committed to a silly long-term contract.

Would hate to have seen the negativity if he''s not resigned - clearly sometimes the club can''t win!

I think a 1 year contract could be quite a good move as im yet to fully decide if Fotheringham is a player to take the club that far forward in the next few years.

The Scotsman said: "I want to look back on my career and say I was part of a team that went to the play-offs at Wembley, or went up to the Premier League.

"I definitely don''t want to be part of a team that''s losing here and there, always a couple of points off relegation."

Fotheringham admitted the dressing room anecdotes of some of his team mates give him an incentive to succeed.

"I sit and listen to Adam Drury and Darren Huckerby talk about the success they''ve had, It''s been disappointing that since I''ve come in we''ve not achieved anything," he said.

I think it''s a sign of a very ambitious young man who clearly wants success here, at Norwich. He''s also wise enough to see that potentially might not happen so is looking out for himself. These are perfect attributes for a captain and I am chuffed he''s staying with that sort of drive and determination.

good.. we notice the difference when he isnt in the side... so to have him for 1 year is better than not having him here at all.

jas :)

[quote user="me"][quote user="GazzaTCC"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[quote user="me"]I remember I time when the club used to cack itself if a player fell into their last year, incase they they left.  Now we''re that desparate,  we think a year is a good thing.
[/quote]

If you take a look around there''s lots of decent players who are being released/walking out of clubs this year after not re-signing (Kris Commons being one).  A few years back when the Bosman ruling came through, people said that the transfer market was going to change big-time, this is merely a feature of that - as are one year contracts. 

[/quote]

Spot on Branston Pickle, player power is everything these days.

[/quote]

That''s only valid if the player is any good.  [/quote]

Not sure I agree there, as there are plenty of average players who earn far more than they''re really worth.

[quote user="jetstream"]He''s been making noises about leaving since January! [/quote]

Its a standard tactic from a player negotiating a contract - I recall Iwan using exactly the same one time and time again.