Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Glenn talks money

"“Next week I will remind Neil and the directors of the last thing they said to me at my second interview,” he said. “That ''if you keep us up, Glenn, you can spend as much money as you want in the summer''."

Good to see Glenn putting the pressure on. Im very pleased with his job so far, turning a terrible squad into a half decent bunch. Lets see what he can do with a squad of his own making.

woah...

well that quote is priceless... now hes mentioned that to us lot its got to mean they HAVE to give us fun.

enter Cristiano Ronaldo...

joking.

Hopefully the start of a new era of ambition without prudence.  Its no secret that we need half a dozen quality players AT LEAST.  Really hope this is true.  Don''t think Glen will go mad though.

You know it, and I know it, GR will end up with diddly squat!.

Thats not me being a doomsayer, its me being a realist, there is NO real cash to fund Glens plans, and Donny will be looking to make yet another profit from the transfer period.

If you fail to reconise this patten of under investing by the club that they now excel in, then you''re going to be a very disappointed bunch of supporters come the new season!!.

Loans, Frees and cheepo signings...................get use to it.[:|]

and there was me thinking we were gonna spend millions. c''mon wiz give us some credit. reckon £1 million will be given to glenn coz the board still live in 1994 and think thats a lot of money. but whos to say that with his connections mr. roeder won''t find some good deals. possibly even get the board to spend, wait for it.... £1.5 million!!!!!!!!!bless them, if it werent for the board we''d have no fun!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="mattscousin"]and there was me thinking we were gonna spend millions. c''mon wiz give us some credit. reckon £1 million will be given to glenn coz the board still live in 1994 and think thats a lot of money. but whos to say that with his connections mr. roeder won''t find some good deals. possibly even get the board to spend, wait for it.... £1.5 million!!!!!!!!!
bless them, if it werent for the board we''d have no fun!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I''m not having a pop at you Matt, but some fans silly claims of secret investors, pots of hidden cash etc are already doing the rounds mate.

Monitor it yourself.......... its now starting to get mental on some message boards.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="mattscousin"]and there was me thinking we were gonna spend millions. c''mon wiz give us some credit. reckon £1 million will be given to glenn coz the board still live in 1994 and think thats a lot of money. but whos to say that with his connections mr. roeder won''t find some good deals. possibly even get the board to spend, wait for it.... £1.5 million!!!!!!!!!
bless them, if it werent for the board we''d have no fun!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I''m not having a pop at you Matt, but some fans silly claims of secret investors, pots of hidden cash etc are already doing the rounds mate.

Monitor it yourself.......... its now starting to get mental on some message boards.

[/quote]

Yet another negative, money post from Wizard stating your guesses as fact.  Yawn, yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You know it, and I know it, GR will end up with diddly squat!.

Thats not me being a doomsayer, its me being a realist, there is NO real cash to fund Glens plans, and Donny will be looking to make yet another profit from the transfer period.

If you fail to reconise this patten of under investing by the club that they now excel in, then you''re going to be a very disappointed bunch of supporters come the new season!!.

Loans, Frees and cheepo signings...................get use to it.[:|]

[/quote]

Only last week you confirmed to me you wanted Roeder out so surely you don''t want him wasting any money the board may provide for transfers.

Yes, but Neil didn''t specify whose money Glen could spend!I think he was just giving Glen permission to spend a load of his NCFC wages on a nice summer holiday...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Only last week you confirmed to me you wanted Roeder out so surely you don''t want him wasting any money the board may provide for transfers.

[/quote]

I''d prefer someome else, thats true........too much tinkering.............but  its not going to happen, so I just have to get on with it and hope he works out okay.

But, he can''t waste what isn''t there can he Nutty?

Dicky:

Since we signed Ashton, I''ve called, every transfer window correctly, you may well call that boring...........but I call it tragic.

Well there never seems to be much money to spend...  I can''t see that changing anytime soon.  Even last season with the sales of Erny, Eboohoo, Hooves, Safri for a combined 5.5 million fees and release of a fair few others knocking a fair amount off the wage bill, we probably only spent about 2.5 million of that on fees and reduced our wage bill overall. 

Do we have any assets to sell to raise funds this summer?? I can''t think of any.

With the players leaving and the (probable) small transfer budget available to him, Glenn is going to have to be some sort of sorcerer to build a team capable of promotion next year. Sorry to be a wet blanket, but it''s more likely that we struggle to avoid relegation once again.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I''d prefer someome else, thats true........too much tinkering.............but  its not going to happen, so I just have to get on with it and hope he works out okay.

Dicky:

Since we signed Ashton, I''ve called, every transfer window correctly, you may well call that boring...........but I call it tragic.

[/quote]

When you change your mind several times a day thats not hard

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Dicky:

[/quote]

I also suggested last week that "we are skint" always follows "we are relegated" It''s as sure as night [S]follows day[H].

What ever the outcome, GR has certainly put presure on the board now, more than likely on purpose. I don''t want us to get so in debt we can not cope, but investment in the squad is paramount and with this statement, GR is covered in a way if we fail next year if we fail to get the players he needs.

Surely the issue at stake here is not the fact that our board are lets say, prone to making statements about money which are not subsequently realised, but the fact that GR has chosen to go public with this quote. This would seem to suggest that things are in the melting pot regarding money and GR is having a last (and very calculated) throw of the dice to put pressure on the Board before he decideds whether to committ to next season. Unless the man is a complete idiot, you simply dont go around saying things about your boss, with whom you have a close daily working relationship.

I am more interested in why he has felt the need to make the statement rather than the statement itself. This is surely a sign that discussions regarding next season are well advanced and in the balance. If he definitely knew he had no money, I am convinced he would walk rather than face another campaign flirting with relegation with a even more threadbare squad. If he succeeds in getting money, then he will have riased the stakes with the board who will not be pleased with this kind of public debate. However, all of my speculation could be hogwash and this could be a pre-agreed PR game to make it look like GR had to fight hard to get money that has already been approved.

Only time will tell!

[quote user="inch_high"]

Read the EDP site and you''ll read Doncaster say "there is not millions of pounds waiting to be spent".

[/quote]

He did say  in his famous ''Gretna'' column, however, that he was going to address the issue of where all the money has gone. I haven''t seen him do that yet.

Will he refute Mr. Carrow''s charges or not?

[quote user="Polar"]

enter Cristiano Ronaldo...

[/quote]

we''re too big a club and too good for him ;)

jas :)

You can always guarantee that Doomcaster will start the ball rolling with some negativity!

Typical solicitor..always look on the black side. No wonder we fail everytime with him in charge...he has all the PR skills of a failed politician!

[/quote]Who d''you want, Wiz? Sven?Your views on the board (which on the subject of transfer cash seem pretty accurate) would carry a lot more weight if you didn''t flap like a fart in the wind on every other subject. Do you really think that GR has not done a good job? We had nine points after 16 games. I would call staying up from that position "working out okay". He has a totally new challenge next season, and his second-season record is not so good (as Sven would say), but it beggars belief that you would replace him now.

As there was no link to the quote in the original post I had to go hunting it down (epd24.co.uk sports if anyone is interested) and I think that we need to put this into context by adding the journo''s remark;

"...Roeder will have to watch the pennies as he rebuilds City''s fortunes, with his humorous comment to chief executive Doncaster at a fans'' forum on Sunday probably one that contains more optimism than realism."

So there you have it, one of GR''s humorous comments taken totally out of context in this thread, like so many others on this Forum. If you are going to quote don''t cherry-pick out the bits that twist the story and give us a link so that we can make up our own minds.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="1st Wizard"] 

[/quote]

Who d''you want, Wiz? Sven?

Your views on the board (which on the subject of transfer cash seem pretty accurate) would carry a lot more weight if you didn''t flap like a fart in the wind on every other subject.

Do you really think that GR has not done a good job? We had nine points after 16 games. I would call staying up from that position "working out okay". He has a totally new challenge next season, and his second-season record is not so good (as Sven would say), but it beggars belief that you would replace him now.
[/quote]

I''m on record as saying I think Glen''s done a superb job, I''m also on record saying I don''t like him.........that hasn''t changed, despite what some thick tw*ts would have you believe!.[:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="1st Wizard"] 

[/quote]

Your views on the board (which on the subject of transfer cash seem pretty accurate) would carry a lot more weight if you didn''t flap like a fart in the wind on every other subject.

Do you really think that GR has not done a good job? We had nine points after 16 games. I would call staying up from that position "working out okay". He has a totally new challenge next season, and his second-season record is not so good (as Sven would say), but it beggars belief that you would replace him now.
[/quote]

I''m on record as saying I think Glen''s done a superb job, I''m also on record saying I don''t like him.........that hasn''t changed, despite what some thick tw*ts would have you believe!.[:|]

[/quote]

You''re also on record as saying you would like a statue built in honour of Delia, bet you don''t get many other thick tw*ts to support you on that crusade these days [:|]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

You''re also on record as saying you would like a statue built in honour of Delia, bet you don''t get many other thick tw*ts to support you on that crusade these days [:|]

[/quote]

Produce your evidence for that Nutty or kindly shut up!.

I AM on record as asking for a statue for Mr Watling..................there''s a blo*dy big difference!.

Mind you, I''m doubtful that you could tell the difference!.[:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="1st Wizard"] 

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Another nancy negative calling people with a different point of view ''thick''

Why do these people who continuously slate our club assume a superiority complex ?

It does explain however why rational debate is impossible !