Sign in to follow this  
londoncanary

Valesco

Just got back from the game! Well earned point i thought after a dire first half performance. However was very impressed with the right back Juan Valesco not the quickest player about but clearly has excellent technique and has got alot upstairs so to speak! A really good attribute to our squad, just wondering what everyone else thought about this chap?

ok london?  dear ole radio naaaarrrfolk - said he done 2-3 times early doors by their speedy winger, but by the sounds of it he got better and better as the game went on.  if he can properly translate his spanish experience to the champs, then he sounds like a potentially good buy - certainly, gives semmy some food for thought re his defending, but for me, semmy has improved leaps and bounds since he got here.  in 2 years, he could be a very good player - maybe lower prem teams standard....

Yep would agree with that. Got done for pace and struggled for first 20 when the team as a whole was struggling. As we cam einto the game and had more of the ball started to look quite decent. Good on the ball and looks like he knows what he''s doing but may struggle for pace against really quick wingers.

My man of the match too.

Once he settled in his positioning was good, he won his headers and some good tackles, he came inside and got involved with the play in midfield, he got down the line a couple of times. He really looked like he wanted the ball and was comfortable once he had it. I thought he was excellent.

Not sure how you can say he didn''t put a foot wrong - Mcanuff skinned him 2-3 times in the opening 15 minutes and he looked very slow. In fact he had to body-check Mc to stop him at one point.

He did get better as game went on but not MoM quality surely???

I''d be hard pushed to pick a MoM actually as I thought we were pretty poor all over the park (for the third or fourth match in a row)

sounds like he had a good game on t''wireless...

I was excited when we signed him and hopefully this is the first of many games he plays for the club..im sure if he impresses over the 3 months he will get a longer contract.

jas :)

MoM? You are joking?! In a side where no-one really shone I''d say he was in the bottom half - though Chris Lakey also scored him highly. (MoM - Marshall or Dublin surely?).Too slow (certainly in the first half) and twice resorted to obstruction/body checks because he couldn''t win his tackle - or keep up with his opponent. Croft, Pattison and Pearce seemed to be always hovering in support. But in terms of techique - yes, he looked as if he can play a bit. Maybe he just needs a lot more match fitness.

Valesco - looks very slow but his technique and quality were mighty impressive!

He sounds like a good signing, hopefully this will improve semmy''s performances as I think he lacks a bit defensively.  And if he keeps on playing well we should give him a longer contract.

[quote user="jetstream"]Not sure how you can say he didn''t put a foot wrong - Mcanuff skinned him 2-3 times in the opening 15 minutes and he looked very slow. In fact he had to body-cp him aheck Mc to stot one point.

He did get better as game went on but not MoM quality surely???

I''d be hard pushed to pick a MoM actually as I thought we were pretty poor all over the park (for the third or fourth match in a row)[/quote]well duh...doesnt mean he put a foot wrong, just means he isnt 100% fit. not his fault.and dublin wasnt overly impressive whilst marshall was ok, but then again he only had crosses to deal with.so velasco remains my MoM

[quote user="Binky"] (MoM - Marshall or Dublin surely?) [/quote]Dublin man of the match? Really? He was really off the mark last night, both in attack and defense. The only reason he stayed on the 90mins is because we have no other big fella to bring on which is what was needed with the likes of Shittu around. He was at fault for the first goal, his passing was not assured as usual, won very few flick ons, missed two good chances both shots way off target. And thats without mentioning the ludicrous scorpion kick effort at an own goal(!)He is though, still a legend, but we need to bring in two big strong players when he leaves end of season. My man of the match for Norwich - Jamie Cureton. Only on for last 20mins but was immediately up to speed with the pace of the game and took his one and only chance perfectly.

[quote user="WalthamCanary"][quote user="Binky"] (MoM - Marshall or Dublin surely?) [/quote]

Dublin man of the match? Really? He was really off the mark last night, both in attack and defense. [/quote]

Compared to some of his performances I don''t disgree. He was on as a striker - but had to do a hell of a lot in defence too. Some are blaming him for the Watford goal but having seen it again, a perfect cross and a perfect high-power strike....not sure many defenders (or strikers) would have got to or stopped that. But he saved our bacon on more than one occasion - especially near the end. I suppose what I was really saying was that there was no-one who stood out as really special - but Dublin, Croft, Pattison, Evans and others did do cover a lot of ground. I was in the main stand near the front and close to Velasco. Too often I thought Croft was having to get back to support him in the first half, rather than the other way around.

A different - but not unrelated question - I find it very difficult to decide who is my favourite Norwich player right now. Difficult to choose a loanee because they''ll soon be gone, which leaves..... 

Granted Dublin wasn''t perfect but I lost count of the number of times he rose above everyone else in our box to head the ball away. By the end every time we hoofed it up field the midfield were clearly looking for Dion. I think we will really miss him and getting somone with similar physical presence is a must. Martin Taylor fitted the bill in many ways, but who knows what the future holds for him now...

[quote user="Binky"]

[quote user="WalthamCanary"][quote user="Binky"] (MoM - Marshall or Dublin surely?) [/quote]

Dublin man of the match? Really? He was really off the mark last night, both in attack and defense. [/quote]

Compared to some of his performances I don''t disgree. He was on as a striker - but had to do a hell of a lot in defence too. Some are blaming him for the Watford goal but having seen it again, a perfect cross and a perfect high-power strike....not sure many defenders (or strikers) would have got to or stopped that. But he saved our bacon on more than one occasion - especially near the end. I suppose what I was really saying was that there was no-one who stood out as really special - but Dublin, Croft, Pattison, Evans and others did do cover a lot of ground. I was in the main stand near the front and close to Velasco. Too often I thought Croft was having to get back to support him in the first half, rather than the other way around.

A different - but not unrelated question - I find it very difficult to decide who is my favourite Norwich player right now. Difficult to choose a loanee because they''ll soon be gone, which leaves..... 

[/quote]

Fave NC player at the moment, well I have a few.

Crofty, wears the NC shirt with pride, always gives his all and works hard, never gives up, not scared to get stuck in, sometimes I almost forget he''s still so young.  Dublin, the guy is pure quality, gives 100% and not afraid to attack or defend when needs must, gee''s the players on.  Rusty, loves NC takes pride in the shirt and works like a trojan.  JC, for the pure pleasure of seeing his little face light up when he scores, always loved NC and is dedicated 100% to the club and fans, has improved of late.

Dublin man of the match? Really? He was really off the mark last night, both in attack and defense. The only reason he stayed on the 90mins is because we have no other big fella to bring on which is what was needed with the likes of Shittu around. He was at fault for the first goal, his passing was not assured as usual, won very few flick ons, missed two good chances both shots way off target. And thats without mentioning the ludicrous scorpion kick effort at an own goal(!)
He is though, still a legend, but we need to bring in two big strong players when he leaves end of season.

My man of the match for Norwich - Jamie Cureton. Only on for last 20mins but was immediately up to speed with the pace of the game and took his one and only chance perfectly.
[/quote]

I thought Dublin was poor too (ditto vs Blackpool).

Seems like some will hero worship him whatever he does. he has good games and bad games like everyone else.

based on that performance i would keep Valesco in situ instead of Otsemebor who has the pace but can''t defend which after all is his primary role.

hopefully valesco''s lack of pace will improve with match fitness.

Yes, well....just back from Coventry and I have to say I wouldn''t be surprised of that''s the last we see of Juan in a City shirt.

He was at fault for the first goal, skinned a couple of times again and basically Coventry aimed everything down that side for the first 20 minutes.

GR was right to sub him and I can only guess that ''Semi'' was injured as he wasn''t even on the bench.

Let''s put it this way...Gary Doherty looked better at right back than Don Juan.

Adios amigo!

[quote user="jetstream"]Yes, well....just back from Coventry and I have to say I wouldn''t be surprised of that''s the last we see of Juan in a City shirt. He was at fault for the first goal, skinned a couple of times again and basically Coventry aimed everything down that side for the first 20 minutes. GR was right to sub him and I can only guess that ''Semi'' was injured as he wasn''t even on the bench. Let''s put it this way...Gary Doherty looked better at right back than Don Juan. Adios amigo![/quote]

1 bad game and send him packing eh? i bet u thought the same of Matthieu Louis-Jean and Keith Briggs after their 1 game for the club too?

its 1 game.. Velasco did badly in it... lets not right him off after only his 3rd appearence eh? we got Juan Velasco not Cesc Fabregas...

lets not give him the Ian Henderson treatment now....

Sorry Jas but I saw him at Watford on Tuesday and at Coventry today and if I''m being charitable I''d say that he''s "not up to the pace of the English game" yet.

He cost us a goal on Tuesday (the cross came from his side) and he cost us a goal and 3 points today.

I''m just telling you what he was like and he was poor. I''m guessing he was released by Espanol for a reason.

[quote user="Delias Tasty Nibblets"]

It was a corner...a bit harsh I think blaming him for not marking the corner taker...

[/quote] Sorry but I agree with Jetstream. Yes it was a corner and Velasco may not have conceded it - but their man got to the byline by waltzing through Velasco. Couldn''t understand those at the beginning of this thread thought him MoM on Tuesday - was surprised he wasn''t subbed then. (Chris Lakey marked him high in the EDP - maybe I''d been watching the wrong player?). Nope!: He may have skill there somewhere but he sure hasn''t got pace.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="jetstream"]Yes, well....just back from Coventry and I have to say I wouldn''t be surprised of that''s the last we see of Juan in a City shirt. He was at fault for the first goal, skinned a couple of times again and basically Coventry aimed everything down that side for the first 20 minutes. GR was right to sub him and I can only guess that ''Semi'' was injured as he wasn''t even on the bench. Let''s put it this way...Gary Doherty looked better at right back than Don Juan. Adios amigo![/quote]

1 bad game and send him packing eh? i bet u thought the same of Matthieu Louis-Jean and Keith Briggs after their 1 game for the club too?

its 1 game.. Velasco did badly in it... lets not right him off after only his 3rd appearence eh? we got Juan Velasco not Cesc Fabregas...

lets not give him the Ian Henderson treatment now....

[/quote]Why not? Its apparently ok to write Gibbs off after 3performances... Both are only here til end of season......