Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

will gibbs make the bench tonight?

it would be good to see him on the bench and maybe on in second half as i am really looking forward to seeing if hes as good as they say at arsenal

Hope so, or more articles like [url=http://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/was-wenger-right-to-loan-gibbs-to-norwich/]this[/url] might start appearing.

I''ve heard that Bertrand may be struggling a little bit, so maybe it''s time for Gibbs to start.  If Bertrand is fully fit, then there is no need to change a winning starting line up.  Gibbs is supposed to be vert highly regargded so it would be good to see him at some point soon

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

I would like to see Kibbs start tonight with Bertrand on the bench. If he struggles.........bring Bertrand on to take over.

[/quote]

hope not, why change a winning team?

Haha! Well sounds like a "tea-cup" article! A load of nothing about nothing!Gibbs has got to earn his place in the team. He played on Tuesday and so we don''t know what time he joined up with the rest of the squad afterwards or how his fitness was after.I should imagine that as he had to return home via London he may well have been given some time to visit family. I say that because its unlikely that he returned the evening of the game.Make of it as you will but that was just a bloggers opinion and lets face it - its not like Arsenal fans have much else to whinge about is it?

[quote user="chicken"]Haha! Well sounds like a "tea-cup" article! A load of nothing about nothing!

Gibbs has got to earn his place in the team. He played on Tuesday and so we don''t know what time he joined up with the rest of the squad afterwards or how his fitness was after.

I should imagine that as he had to return home via London he may well have been given some time to visit family. I say that because its unlikely that he returned the evening of the game.

Make of it as you will but that was just a bloggers opinion and lets face it - its not like Arsenal fans have much else to whinge about is it?
[/quote]

Well said, that is exactly what I thought when I read it!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="chicken"]Haha! Well sounds like a "tea-cup" article! A load of nothing about nothing!Gibbs has got to earn his place in the team. He played on Tuesday and so we don''t know what time he joined up with the rest of the squad afterwards or how his fitness was after.I should imagine that as he had to return home via London he may well have been given some time to visit family. I say that because its unlikely that he returned the evening of the game.Make of it as you will but that was just a bloggers opinion and lets face it - its not like Arsenal fans have much else to whinge about is it?[/quote]

Well said, that is exactly what I thought when I read it!

[/quote]As did I, just thought I''d point that out since I found it.

[quote user="chicken"]Haha! Well sounds like a "tea-cup" article! A load of nothing about nothing!Gibbs has got to earn his place in the team. He played on Tuesday and so we don''t know what time he joined up with the rest of the squad afterwards or how his fitness was after.I should imagine that as he had to return home via London he may well have been given some time to visit family. I say that because its unlikely that he returned the evening of the game.Make of it as you will but that was just a bloggers opinion and lets face it - its not like Arsenal fans have much else to whinge about is it?[/quote]Exactly. Gibbs has to earn his place on merit. At the moment he is behind a lot of players in the pecking order. If he gets a place and holds it, good for him, but first and foremost should be us continuing this run. I''m sick and tired of these "jimmy smiths" for seemed to keep getting selected over croft even though he was no good.

[quote user="chicken"]Haha! Well sounds like a "tea-cup" article! A load of nothing about nothing!

Gibbs has got to earn his place in the team. He played on Tuesday and so we don''t know what time he joined up with the rest of the squad afterwards or how his fitness was after.

I should imagine that as he had to return home via London he may well have been given some time to visit family. I say that because its unlikely that he returned the evening of the game.

Make of it as you will but that was just a bloggers opinion and lets face it - its not like Arsenal fans have much else to whinge about is it?
[/quote]

Infact, he didn''t play on Tuesday so theres no reason why he won''t be fit for tonights game. You are right however - Every player should have to earn his place in the team. However just because the first eleven arent not losing (not winning every game) doesn''t mean no one else should play! How unfair would that be?! I would like to see what he has to offer. If he struggles (which i assure you - he won''t) he can be replaced. I am sure Roeder will make the right decision with whoever he picks, I just feel we are sat on something special - we just don''t realsie it yet.

I dont understand why you would consider changing a winning side you dont fix unbroken things so i dont see why we should change anything plus we are only allowed 5 players in the squad at one time so who would you drop ched evans!!!! ha

Allegedly......Pat Rice called Roeder on Saturday. They are not amused that Gibbs is not playing. He could get recalled I suspect unless he gets a fair few minutes tonight.

Well he''s getting 90 tonight by the looks of things. Camara out, Bertrand to left back and Gibbs in on the left wing. Interesting.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]....and froze i hear?
[/quote]

Got outmuscled and had no time on the ball.  Didn''t freeze, but looked desperate to impress and tried a little too hard.  Seemed to lack decisiveness - to tackle or not, to press or not.  I wasn''t impressed, and nor were the three hags behind me.

gibbs may be a good future prospect for arsenal, but clearly he''s outa his depth in mens footy at the mo.  the boy needs time to strengthen and gain fitness to do himself justice, but imo its too early for him to play for city this season.  he looked lost, getting cuaght outa position, chasing shadows (like holty in the prem) and did nothing going forward.  seems to me that canny wenger has palmed off a boy onto us that serves his interest more than ours - no favours there between ole mates methinks......i was looking for gibbs to go off early, even at half-time, hoping hucks would take his berth on the left wing.  was pleased to see gibbs tracking over into midfield 10 mins into 2nd half, but amazed when he clearly had trouble getting back to his left wing posi - meaning russell had to cover for him.  can only assume the boy was bushed.  the alarm bells rang loud for me, even more so when a dangerous ball came over from gibbs/plastic wing, and a hull head got on the end of it, forcing marshall into making a brilliant one handed save, that he tipped into the bar and away.  still - no sub came, but when it did - matty patty took over from gibbs - hucks replacing croft later on the right.  disappointed with gibbsy tonite, but also with roedy  - camara is the better left back for me, and plastic is better than gibbsy on left wing.  we got done by a lucky soft goal and soft coaching/squad decisions tonight - roedy should''ve taken the boy off sooner for me. 

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]Allegedly......Pat Rice called Roeder on Saturday. They are not amused that Gibbs is not playing. He could get recalled I suspect unless he gets a fair few minutes tonight.[/quote]Well if that is the case i say send him back ,he was rubbish tonight anyway i for one would not miss him, he needs to muscle up a bit for this league.

[quote user="Fellas"]Absolute rubbish. Send him back.
[/quote]

On the basis of one game!! I think we need to give him more than 60 mins to judge him. Everyone was saying sign Bates after the Preston game since when he was responsible for the goal against Cardiff and was poor tonight. We clearly need more than 1 game to judge anyone.

I agree with the majority that he was out of his depth. He''s no better than what we''ve got on the left wing and I cant honestly understand why we''ve gt him or why he played tonight.

Camara wasn''t injured so why change a winning team?

[quote user="Fellas"]Absolute rubbish. Send him back.
[/quote]

Your only as gd as the service you get and in the first half we were down the right all the time.

Send him back, are you some sort of idiot?? 60 minute run out.....gd enough for Wenger but not us.How can you judge this soon?The lad is still in nappies and given a run will no doubt be gd.

To be fair he also didn''t actually get much of the ball. He did cut inside a lot which left Hull with a lot of space down that side, possibly because he wanted to get on the ball more. Bertrand couldn''t ever seem to find him.

Felt this wasn''t the right game for Gibbs. Hull closed down quickly and threw their weight around. After Gibbs made a rather reckless lundge a one player the ref had a word with him and he seemed to pull back from any other tackles.He has obvious ability, some of his touches in the first half screemed of class and he had one nice run with the ball. Some of the abuse was really over the top, also heard people blaming him for Bertrand''s mistakes, guess some people have difficulty telling people apart. He was obviously told to tuck in by Roeder, as with all the left "wingers" we have which I don''t think helped him as he often seemed unsure whether to take it out wide of not. Was a disappointing debut, but often the way with a youngster. Especially one who comes with so much promise and expectations.To be honest no one matched the quality of Okocha tonight.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]gibbs may be a good future prospect for arsenal, but clearly he''s outa his depth in mens footy at the mo.  the boy needs time to strengthen and gain fitness to do himself justice, but imo its too early for him to play for city this season.  he looked lost, getting cuaght outa position, chasing shadows (like holty in the prem) and did nothing going forward.  seems to me that canny wenger has palmed off a boy onto us that serves his interest more than ours - no favours there between ole mates methinks......i was looking for gibbs to go off early, even at half-time, hoping hucks would take his berth on the left wing.  was pleased to see gibbs tracking over into midfield 10 mins into 2nd half, but amazed when he clearly had trouble getting back to his left wing posi - meaning russell had to cover for him.  can only assume the boy was bushed.  the alarm bells rang loud for me, even more so when a dangerous ball came over from gibbs/plastic wing, and a hull head got on the end of it, forcing marshall into making a brilliant one handed save, that he tipped into the bar and away.  still - no sub came, but when it did - matty patty took over from gibbs - hucks replacing croft later on the right.  disappointed with gibbsy tonite, but also with roedy  - camara is the better left back for me, and plastic is better than gibbsy on left wing.  we got done by a lucky soft goal and soft coaching/squad decisions tonight - roedy should''ve taken the boy off sooner for me.  [/quote]Agree with most of that. Particularly Roeder''s decision not to take Gibbs off at half time. At that point we were still a goal ahead, Gibbs could have been given a pat on the back for at least trying (sometimes) and there was no real harm done. But to keep him on and leave the midfield and Bertrand struggling to cover for him was poor decision making from Roeder. For most of the first half I was thinking playing Bertrand at left back was a big mistake. But when you saw how more confident and composed he became once he had a decent player in front of him, you have to say he has potential as a full back. Though I still felt we missed Camara''s height, strength, and experienced covering play.As for Gibbs, if he is to make a contribution then he must learn and improve fast. He showed he has a good first touch and can pass the ball. But to be honest, tonight he looked no better than Jarvis or Martin, and that isn''t saying much. For Roeder this is looking like one loan kid who, on first impressions, will not be able to make the grade. Considering what Roeder has brought in elsewhere, one bad signing is forgivable. But we will see...

Have to agree with what has been posted about gibbs tonight does not look half the player that bertrand did when he was first introduced, gibbs looked lost, yes he wanted to get on the ball but he kept running away from bertrand too much and bertrand kept getting closed off so only ball he had was sideways or backward.  If he wanted to get on the ball he should have dropped in short to give bertrand an easier forward pass.  Defencively he contributed nothing from midfield he did not close the hull players down which allowed them a free run at bertrand (worse than hucks!!!).  I heard on radio norfolk that Arensal''s youth team coach was in the crowd tonight so perhaps glen roeder felt under a bit of pressure to give him time on the pitch, he has to be dropped on saturday and mo camara reinstated at left back with berty (or hucks) returned to left midfield.  Unforunately he has a very long way to go before he''s ready for first team football but he''s young so has plenty of time to work at his game.

OTBC

I''m sorry am I under the illusion that we want to win games? Well we''ve won 3 on the trot and he decides to throw in an untested youngster changing the dynamics of the team. A poor move. He was very poor. I saw nothing today that suggested anything. I''d be suprised if we revert back to the winning team we''ve had in previous matches.He needs service? Well he was playing left wing? Didn''t realise that left wingers needed service too. Too many square passes. Too many times knocked off the ball. He made nothing, did nothing, was pretty slow considering he was a youth player and added nothing to the team. It was no suprise the team perked up when pattison came on.Also, "can you sit down please", why do we need to give him a run? He''s not going to be at the club next season. He''s not as good as what we have now, so what''s the point? I really don''t understand the point in playing players who are not good enough. I thought that was what roeder was about. But maybe he''s going to be another jimmy smith who''s gonna keep being played even though he''s below standard.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"] needs to be used as a sub to get to the pace of the game. 

[/quote]

Totally agree with this measured approach - sending him back is a bit strong.  Gibbs comes highly recommended and would be keen to see how he gets on with a couple of 20 minute run-outs to give him some confidence. 

Mainly though, I''m disappointed we''ve changed a winning team.  It rarely pays off and can''t be good for the players who make way, especially when they''re dropped for a loanee.