Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Canary

ROYLE APPOINTMENT !

Dare I say it, Big Joe has all the credentials - bags of experience, will command the respect of the players, good track record at this level and good at weeding out dead wood and bringing through the younger players. Yes, he managed I****t but he kept the club stable and played attractive football. And of course he is a former Norwich striker.

I am prepared to be shot down, but I think he would make an excellent choice. It''s time to put prejudice aside and make the appointment that''s right for our club.

I thoroughly agree, hed be an excellent appointment for the current situation, in fact I''d pick Joe Royle as a pragmatic decision over Ian Crook right now.  He has been there and done that for many years at this level, and is available.  In fact I suggested him on here as a replacement for Worthington, so I know how you''re about to feel [:)].  He might have managed Ipswich, but so has Bobby Robson, and I''d have taken him 20 years ago aswell.  It''s the abilities of the manager we''re looking for here, not the previous teams they''ve managed.

totaly agree, he has done well in all his jobs,oldham-promotion,everton f.a.cup,man city promotion , and somehow kept ipswich in the play-offs 2 years on the trot,and had to sell all there best players at the end of every season. and your right his teams do play good football. so i would be happy with big joe!!!!!!!!

I won''t shoot this down, his record at Oldham was amazing, he turned Everton around but somehow wasn''t good enough for Ipsh*t - probably because he was too much his own man.

Royle was an excellent player for city in his one and only season - player of the year. He would have my goodwill but wouldn''t be top of my list.

I sit next to an ipswich season ticket holder at work and he would be delighted if we gave Royle a job.He laughed so much he fell off his chair. Royle he claimed was a hoofball merchant with about as much tactical knowledge as a piece of roadkill.Did you know that Royle was so good at keeping Ipswich stable that many fans refused to renew season tickets in the off season which finally lead to his dismissal.He did great weeding out ipswichs deadwood - my work mate was furious when he let Pablo Counago go (a creative talented player)Brought through loads of great young players -my mate reckons danny haynes was held back for to long by Royle.If an ipswich fan wouldnt want us to have him as manager how can you even regard him as a serious candiate.I for one feel we need to start a campaign so our board dont employ Royle.(any one fancy a petition email to doomcaster )

I agree he has a pretty impressive list of achievements as a manager over a prolonged period:

- went from Div 2 to Premiership with Oldham on a limited budget, plus a League Cup final and two FA Cup semis.

- won FA Cup with Everton

- two more promotions with Man City

- couple of play off finishes with Ipswich

OK he has been out of the game for a while, but that seems a pretty impressive CV.  Odd then that so many on here seem to dismiss him out of hand.  He wouldn''t be my first choice but I can think of a hell of a lot worse.

I reckon Big Ron would be the man...ever see his Sky one programme, he knocked Peterborough into shape and has the experience.

[quote user="buddhaboy"]i mean joe royles an ok suggestion not ron the racist...
[/quote]

is this the same rascist who at WBA gave many black players a start, cunningham, moses, anderson, batson come to mind.

[quote user="superhux"]

I reckon Big Ron would be the man...ever see his Sky one programme, he knocked Peterborough into shape and has the experience.

[/quote]

Not a bad idea, I mean he could attract talent like Marcel Desailly to the club...

Joe Royle? Get real, he couldn''t fight his way out of a paper bag. We need a manager who can actually save us from relegation and then build for promotion not two managers for each job! I''m not sure Royle could do either

I wouldnt be disappointed if Joe Royle was appointed, he is an ex player with an excellent track record of achievements on a small budget. I notice Ipswich have done nothing since he left.  

Is the hunger still there and does he want another management job however?

[quote user="Fluck"]

No way.

[/quote]

Having looked at the guy''s CV, could you please explain the blanket dismissal of Royle. 

He is someone who has done the business at this level (and indeed higher), he is in the NCFC Hall of Fame (mind you so I think so are Delia and MWJ as no doubt others will be quick to point out).  The two main objections I detect are a) he managed Ipswich - well as someone else has pointed out so did Bobby Robson and he was a better manager than many we have had over the years; and b) he looks like Mr Potato Head (and if looking a bit odd was a reason not to employ someone then Smudger would never find work - mind you could explain how he has so much time to post on here).

J.Royle was from a different era, was brilliant in his day don''t get me wrong, maybe 10 years ago i''d have gone for him. But football has changed dramatically since then. No, his time has passed... he''s been out the game for too long... !

Saying that, i''d rather have him at the helm than some of the names bantered on here randomly... ie Bowen or Crook...

And FYI...

Ince - no chance so stop suggesting him!

Dublin - no chance so stop suggesting him!

Jewell - no chance so stop suggesting him!

A friend of Royle quoted on R5 yesterday that he (Royle) has "retired from full time involvement" in football.

He does scouting work for various clubs as favours and some media work and has no intention of returning to the game full time.

So I think we can rule him out? Mind you, as a mentor-type figure to a young and hungry, experienced coach (much like Keith Burkinshaw-who some posters on here probably haven''t even heard of if they''re not old enough, but he was a damned good manager and coach in the 80''s-is doing with Bothroyd at Watford) he might be worth considering.

But we need someone with new coaching ideas and a modern outlook on the game and how it should be played. Royle, along with a lot of other Ex-Managers in "old school" now and their time has passed.

As with Crook therefore-a hearty NO -but for different reasons.