Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

Rochdale (Carling Cup second round draw)

A realistic chance of progression into round 3. A nice trip to Spotland, probably as bad as any ground ive been too, just a presumption mind. just cant see it being that impressive.

Somewhere i''ve never been and after a bit of research i''ve found out:-

• It is situated in the northern part of greater manchester.
  • The home of the co-op
  • they groundshare with the local rugby club.
  • Home to Bill Oddie and Lizzy Bardelsly from Wife Swap
  • Twinned with somewhere in pakistan.

You know, i might just go up there in  acouple of weeks.

One of the earliest memories for me was the League cup run in 1961-62 season. We beat Rochdale in a two legged Final, beating them in the first leg 3-0 away (Billy Punton, Lythgoe 2) I bet Billy fell on his ''arris as he scored, i cant remember, but he usualy did Lol.

Then it was was a bit of an anti-climax at home 1-0 but job done. (Jimmy Hill scored, no not that one Lol.)

Yes, happy days.     

thankyou, i was about to ask who we had got because when i searched one website said rotherham and another rochdale ... so i wasnt quite sure lol.

should get through that one easily, ill probly consider going ...

80''s diva Lisa Stansfield is a Fan and they have spent more consecutive years in the bottom division than any other Club... over 30... they are still there now!

Perhpas give Matty Gilks a game against his old club.

jas :)

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

"Should be an interesting tie, hopefully Grant will give Matty Gilks a game against his old club! Won''t be easy but hopefully will go through to the 3rd round."

Won''t Gilks be cup tied for that game?

[/quote]

What other club has he played for in this season, and in which cup!?!

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]

thankyou, i was about to ask who we had got because when i searched one website said rotherham and another rochdale ... so i wasnt quite sure lol.

[/quote]

As long as you take a strong side I imagine you will get through.  It won''t be an easy game.  This is their centenary year so this is going to be a little Cup final for them.  They are no great shakes and although they obviously played well against Stoke they were taken apart by Peterborough 3-0 and it could have been more.

They are not quite as physical as Barnet but they are a League II side if you know what I mean.  Murray going forward from midfield and Le Fondre are half decent but there''s not an obvious match winner (my opinion).  They played well as a unit towards the end of the season and see themselves as top table contenders, not a view I share but who knows?

Be careful and I think your extra skill (and pace) should be too much of a handful for their defence.  The replacement keeper is nowhere near Gilks standard.  I am sure your Mr Grant will not underrate them.

I was chuffed to bits with this draw. I love it when we get drawn away to a club whose ground I have never been to, I will definitely be going!

To add to the list of famous Rochdale people - Gracie Fields and that unforgetable MP Cyril Smith!

And don''t forget we signed David Cross from Rochdale for a club record fee of £40,000.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I was chuffed to bits with this draw. I love it when we get drawn away to a club whose ground I have never been to, I will definitely be going!

To add to the list of famous Rochdale people - Gracie Fields and that unforgetable MP Cyril Smith!

And don''t forget we signed David Cross from Rochdale for a club record fee of £40,000.

[/quote]

If you''ve never been there you''re in for a treat, Nutty. I went in 1976 when we played them in the FA Cup Replay. That too was a mid-week game, it rained most of the day and the approach to the ground resembled the Somme in 1916. I''m told it''s not changed much but, hey, don''t let me try to put you off.......

You mentioned David Cross but don''t forget there was amother top drawer footballer by the name of Alan Taylor, the very same one who played for City shortly after scoring twice for West Ham against Fulham in the 1975 FA Cup Final. As I''m sure you know he still lives in Norwich and runs '' Taylors News '' on the city''s Dereham Road.

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]

[/quote]

The website that said Rotherham is probably a bit old now as we went up to Millmoor in the 2nd round last season where those of that went got to see the rare sight of a Peter Thorne goal (anyone know when he scored his other City goal as I really can''t remember?) and I believe it was also Hendo''s last game for us.

Unfortunately these games are a bit of a drain on the resources. Bugger all out of the gate split, for the players a long travel on the coach and maybe an overnight stay.But, another stepping stone to wembley.(and David Cross. Hot Cross Bone the pinkun headline for Easter sat ''72 - great player, hideous journey home, happy days)

[quote user="MoroccanAllOverTheWorld"](anyone know when he scored his other City goal as I really can''t remember?)[/quote]That would be Watford at home in January ''06, which we lost 3-2.Diving header from 1 yard.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

If you''ve never been there you''re in for a treat, Nutty. I went in 1976 when we played them in the FA Cup Replay. That too was a mid-week game, it rained most of the day and the approach to the ground resembled the Somme in 1916. I''m told it''s not changed much but, hey, don''t let me try to put you off.......

You mentioned David Cross but don''t forget there was amother top drawer footballer by the name of Alan Taylor, the very same one who played for City shortly after scoring twice for West Ham against Fulham in the 1975 FA Cup Final. As I''m sure you know he still lives in Norwich and runs '' Taylors News '' on the city''s Dereham Road.

[/quote]

I doubt it has changed much from when you went, I didn''t go to that game so it is a new ground for me just like Torquay was last season. It won''t put me off just like it wouldn''t put you off ASMS. I did Torquay, Rotherham and Port Vale in this competition last season and enjoyed them all even though we finally lost on pens at Vale.

I remember Alan Taylor well and did know he was still in the city but I didn''t realise he started out at Rochdale. Thanks for posting that, I''m a bit of a saddo about player connections  between us and other clubs!

[quote user="MoroccanAllOverTheWorld"][quote user="ipswichrscum"]

[/quote]

The website that said Rotherham is probably a bit old now as we went up to Millmoor in the 2nd round last season where those of that went got to see the rare sight of a Peter Thorne goal (anyone know when he scored his other City goal as I really can''t remember?) and I believe it was also Hendo''s last game for us.

[/quote]

Thorne''s other goal was at home to Watford in January 2006. So now you know.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Unfortunately these games are a bit of a drain on the resources. Bugger all out of the gate split, for the players a long travel on the coach and maybe an overnight stay.

But, another stepping stone to wembley.

(and David Cross. Hot Cross Bone the pinkun headline for Easter sat ''72 - great player, hideous journey home, happy days)
[/quote]

Overnight stay? Clearly you have tasted the Premier League!  The Colchester team coach out of the Carling Shrewsbury failure arrived back in Essex at 3.30 a.m, our Manager claiming to have been back in the office hitting the phones for possible player targets by 9 a.m.