Sign in to follow this  
Master J-Do Pur

Dean Coney

I''m sorry to say this but i was never fortunate to see the man in a norwich shirt and was wondering how bad a player could be. Whoever has seen him play please relive your fondest memories of his delightful skills he brought to carrow road.

[quote user="Master J-Do Pur"]I''m sorry to say this but i was never fortunate to see the man in a norwich shirt and was wondering how bad a player could be. Whoever has seen him play please relive your fondest memories of his delightful skills he brought to carrow road.
[/quote]

Yes, I saw him play and No, I can''t remember anything about his delightful skills. I will say however that he made Hughes look like Ronaldo.

IMO one of City''s lesser skilled players ranking alongside such famous names as Charlie Billington, Charlie Crickmore, Jim Blair etc

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="Master J-Do Pur"]I''m sorry to say this but i was never fortunate to see the man in a norwich shirt and was wondering how bad a player could be. Whoever has seen him play please relive your fondest memories of his delightful skills he brought to carrow road.
[/quote]

Yes, I saw him play and No, I can''t remember anything about his delightful skills. I will say however that he made Hughes look like Ronaldo.

IMO one of City''s lesser skilled players ranking alongside such famous names as Charlie Billington, Charlie Crickmore, Jim Blair etc

[/quote]

he once scored off his backside,,, there was a quote in ''glorious canaries" (which leads me to believe he scored more than 1 for us) where Dave Stringer says "he had double Vision.. so he had to hit one of the goals!"

jas :)

Did you get to see Charles Royston Billington play Ricardo?

Ray Ducker says he was the worst ever and from what I have read I could agree with him.

Jim Blair! Now there''s a thing!!! He turned up for a Cup Final and then disappeared again. The strangest thing I ever remember as a City fan!

Charlie Crickmore! He would try and beat the fullback be booting the ball and trying to catch it before it went out of play!!! Took a better penalty than the great Kenny Foggo mind!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

he once scored off his backside,,, there was a quote in ''glorious canaries" (which leads me to believe he scored more than 1 for us) where Dave Stringer says "he had double Vision.. so he had to hit one of the goals!"

[/quote]

I believe the goal off his backside was the only goal he ever scored for us! The only reason we signed him was because he had the game of his career for Grimsby against us! 

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]I always remember a player in the mid 90''s playing for us called David Smith, not the most gifted from memory[/quote]

I remember David Smith, he wasn''t the best... I believe we sold him to Oxford?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Did you get to see Charles Royston Billington play Ricardo?

Ray Ducker says he was the worst ever and from what I have read I could agree with him.

Jim Blair! Now there''s a thing!!! He turned up for a Cup Final and then disappeared again. The strangest thing I ever remember as a City fan!

Charlie Crickmore! He would try and beat the fullback be booting the ball and trying to catch it before it went out of play!!! Took a better penalty than the great Kenny Foggo mind!

[/quote]

If Ray Ducker said that then he is a good judge. Charlie was a centre half, stood about 6ft 4 but could not head the ball. As to his feet, well sometimes it seemed he had three and sometimes only one. Truly the worst player I have ever seen. However I recall once seeing him toe punt a ball from the Barclay end penalty area that went over the bar at the river end.

I endorse you comments about the other two with the addition that Charlie Crickmore never did catch the ball before it went out of play. And Jim Blair disappeared during the cup final and not after it.

Oh Happy Days!

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]I always remember a player in the mid 90''s playing for us called David Smith, not the most gifted from memory[/quote]

He got flogged to Oxford United I think.

Remembering Dean Coney made me think of some other Canary greats. Who else can remember watching the greatness that was:

Drazen Muzinic 1980 - 81 - Did he have skill, but he didnt have a clue!

Davie Robb 1978 - 79

Willie Young 1983 - and we think Doherty is bad at times!

Gary Rowell 1985

The memories just come flooding back. Oh do they!

Dean Coney was sadly billed as a quality striker, however this billing was not reflected in his scoring ratio for us.

In my opinion, he would have been much better as a creative midfield-type player.

Still, i was there proudly standing on the River End terrace on the infamous day that the ball was booted up his backside by Aston Villa''s goalkeeper, (i believe Nigel Spinks) and the ball rebounded in to the goal.

Several people sustained injuries from having tried to rush out of the way and a few were even treated at the scene from severe shock......

[quote user="djcat"]

Dean Coney was sadly billed as a quality striker, however this billing was not reflected in his scoring ratio for us.

In my opinion, he would have been much better as a creative midfield-type player.

Still, i was there proudly standing on the River End terrace on the infamous day that the ball was booted up his backside by Aston Villa''s goalkeeper, (i believe Nigel Spinks) and the ball rebounded in to the goal.

Several people sustained injuries from having tried to rush out of the way and a few were even treated at the scene from severe shock......

[/quote]

...and boy didn''t he celebrate it too!!

He was at the club the same as Rosario and Henrik Mortensen - what a wonderful set of goal scoring strikers we were blessed with in 1989. Thankfully we had Flecky and the wonderful Malcolm Allen too.

I saw the goal he scored too. It ranks up there with a solar eclipse and a comet.

Did any else notice that he used to grin all the time...especially when he missed a sitter

i remember dean coney - didn''t look the part from day one.  as some have mentioned dave smith, he was neat and tidy, but from memory wasn''t tall, but seemed to have a long body and shortish legs, giving him the appearance of a diddyman.therefore, had skill but lacked physique - unfortunately for him.  soon went west.

[quote user="Rudolph Hucker"]If he was that bad why name our training complex after him?[/quote]

Actually Rudolph, Coney is the Old English name for a rabbit. A perfect epithet for Dean, some may say.

Now it all makes sense Rudi - thats what the coaches are aiming for - Make them all play like dean coney!

Coney was the worst striker I can recall,  poor in the air, poor finishing and movement and no pace.  However he had a decent record with I think QPR and Fulham before us and perhaps we simply never saw or got the best from him.

Muzinic was a shocking end of career money signing and didnt even look like a footballer.  With the famous hinsight again maybe he found the gap between slow eastern yugoslav football and the frantic english league too much to cope with  - as so many overseas players still do.

"ricardo"....Coney is the Old English name for a rabbit..... But unlike Deano don''t rabbits score regularly?

and "WEEN_NASTY", It wasnt so much that he used to grin all time - especially as he missed a sitter, but more like a wincing as he lost oput on yet another goal-scoring pay bonus.....

ricardo wrote

Actually Rudolph, Coney is the Old English name for a rabbit. A perfect epithet for Dean, some may say.

I knew that cos Delia wears it around her neck after putting the rest into a pot.

Personally, I don''t like to see the ladies with a fur trim although on a day like today I suppose every little helps.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i remember dean coney - didn''t look the part from day one.  as some have mentioned dave smith, he was neat and tidy, but from memory wasn''t tall, but seemed to have a long body and shortish legs, giving him the appearance of a diddyman.
therefore, had skill but lacked physique - unfortunately for him.  soon went west.
[/quote]

David Smith spent about 5 seasons at Coventry after he left us and became an Established 1st teamer i believe... Fair play to him. he was in the top flight so he must of been some good.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i remember dean coney - didn''t look the part from day one.  as some have mentioned dave smith, he was neat and tidy, but from memory wasn''t tall, but seemed to have a long body and shortish legs, giving him the appearance of a diddyman.
therefore, had skill but lacked physique - unfortunately for him.  soon went west.
[/quote]

David Smith spent about 5 seasons at Coventry after he left us and became an Established 1st teamer i believe... Fair play to him. he was in the top flight so he must of been some good.

[/quote]

He never played for Coventry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Smith_(footballer)

Yes he did.. I used to collect Pro Set football cards and have one of our David Smith. Picture and career history. From 1992. Playing for Coventry

I''ll see if i can find it and scan it if u dont believe me. in fact no need http://cgi.ebay.com/12-COVENTRY-CITY-PRO-SET-FOOTBALL-TRADING-CARDS-1990_W0QQitemZ280077334361QQihZ018QQcategoryZ2970QQcmdZViewItem David is top right.

Jas!!! NO HE DIDN''T. It was a different David Smith who played for Coventry. If you think about it David Smith is quite a common name so not that unlikely that more than one player of that name should be playing pro football at the same time.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Jas!!! NO HE DIDN''T. It was a different David Smith who played for Coventry. If you think about it David Smith is quite a common name so not that unlikely that more than one player of that name should be playing pro football at the same time.[/quote]

he was a guy with big eyes and dark hair.. Go look in Glorious Canaries past and present... it even says in there he left us for Coventry

Im not arguing when i know im right. I know what the guy looked like and as i said i can prove he played for Coventry.

Jas, I’m sure you are wrong. Can anyone find a link to David Smith’s career? The one I found only mentions Norwich, Oxford, Stockport, Macclesfield & Drogheda Utd. See Below;

David Smith (footballer)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

David Smith (nickname Smudger) (born 26 December 1970) is a former professional footballer. He was a midfielder who played for Norwich City FC (where he began his career), Oxford United F.C., Stockport County F.C., Macclesfield Town F.C. and Drogheda United (Ireland).

He came through the youth team and reserves at Norwich and played 18 times for the first team. His league debut was in April 1990 against Derby County. He played 198 times for Oxford (2 goals), and 60 games for Stockport.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Jas!!! NO HE DIDN''T. It was a different David Smith who played for Coventry. If you think about it David Smith is quite a common name so not that unlikely that more than one player of that name should be playing pro football at the same time.[/quote]

he was a guy with big eyes and dark hair.. Go look in Glorious Canaries past and present... it even says in there he left us for Coventry

Im not arguing when i know im right. I know what the guy looked like and as i said i can prove he played for Coventry.

[/quote]

Sorry Jas, I don''t think you are right. Without shadow of a doubt ''our'' David Smith got sold to Oxford United. Plus not one of those Coventry players looks anything like him.