Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

Iwan to replace webb?

Iwan Roberts has said many times that he would love a job at the club and i think that he would be the ideal candidate.

He is still young with alot to learn and offer. He has done his badges, so maybe this would be a good position to learn more about the coaching side.

What do you all think?

Actually i think thats a good idea....a man with a genuine feeling for the club...or how about getting Ian Crook to come and do it. I was told that the reason Crook didn''t get the manager''s job was because he had been out of English football for so long and this would be a way of getting him back here and getting some valuable experience.

Incidentally i was also told he was desperate to get back at City and manage.

Doubt Crook would want to only be a reserve team manager.

On Canaries World, Grant has said the position will be filled and he has people in mind.

I don''t think Crook is as remote an idea as you suggest - after all did he not play with Grant for a season here?

Also I would throw Adams into the pot - he also played a short time with Grant and has been doing some coaching with the youth set up for City if my ears have not failed me.

Add to that the fact that a few members of the back room staff at West Ham have been made surplas to requirements after Curbishly arrived with his team.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Iwan would be bloody excellent, and I would be really made up for him.[/quote]

I''d love for Iwan to be back at the club, I''d even play him!!! (joke.... I think) But you know I love to see a proper centreforward [;)]

Why on earth do we need to replace him? We have Hunter and Livermore, get Hunter to look after the reserves (part time) this will free up more money for players!

Hmmm - double standards here may be?   We can have Iwan because he is young with lots to learn yet Grant with more experience and the same credentials was the wrong man????

Iwans role as a coach at Gillingham was highly successful after all.

Just because he scored a hatful of goals for us doesnt make him the ideal candidate - if he is interested then we should consider him but only as one amogst hopefully many - we need the best young coach we can get, if that is Iwan then excellent but we must not take Iwan because he is amongst the all time top scorers for the club.

Its not just because he scored alot of goals for us zipper, its because i think the man has potential.

Yes Gillingham wasnt the biggest success, but he hardly got a fair crack at it did he?

What harm can it do in giving him the chance of Reserve coach? i would maybe understand if he was given the managers job.

Zipper who do you have in mind?

I think Zippers point was that although he should be considered, there''s no reason not to cast a wide net and see who else fancies the job. Mike Walker was reserve team boss before he became manager, so it''s a position that has potential for the owner, and we shouldn''t go with "Let''s have Iwan back because he''s a legendary player for us" as the only option without exploring all available avenues. If Iwan is the best candidate, great.

If Iwan is the best candidate then fine - and with him having links to the club then if another equally suitably candidate applies Iwan should get first nod;   All I am flagging is that I am against jobs for the boys and unlike some candidates Iwans very brief flirtations with coaching have not been successful.

I would love crook but cant see it as he failed with the managers application,  if we are looking at a reserve coach role I would like to see any hot up and coming person given it;  Ady Boothroyd was spotted and someone of his passion and innovation would be useful for the club methinks - so sadly I have no names but people within football willbe aware of who fits that bill.

If its to boost the whole coaching regime, in particular the first team,  then the targets change and someone with more experience should be targetted - speculating on names is pointless as the known ones are linked with secure clubs and the unknowns are just that.

If the club decide to replace Keith Webb, and is it really necessary, why does it have to be Iwan Roberts. If he has the passion he claims he had for the club why did he want to leave everytime his contract came up for renewal ?  The fact no other club has offered him a job, since his failure to convince Gillingham of his potential, raises several questions. Do we offer Robert Fleck a job because of his impressive scoring record, goals scored at a higher level than Roberts ?

If change is necessary the club needs to look the big picture and get the best man for the job.

I think it would be nice for Iwan to be involved in this club in any form whatsoever, he is a great character and a model Pro.

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]Hey intenso, he didnt renew because muppet worthless didnt really want him. The season we won the league was he a regular?[/quote]

Come off it, Iwan was pretty much past it in terms of ability by that time and was never going to be a regular.

I agree with Intenso, I can recall times when Iwan threatened to leave if he didn''t get the terms he seeked. That is not loyalty. But anyway moving on, we seem to have this thing amongst us where we HAVE to appoint an ex player. Why do we all want this? Whether it''s the manager, coach, reserve manager, sales and sponsorship manager or even the bloody club ambassador, why does it always have to be an ex player? Like he said, Fleck scored bucket loads at a higher level - Roberts scored all of his goals for us in the second tier. Do we ever see people wanting Fleck to come here? It''s a shame that ex-players come back to the club and can be guaranteed a job it seems, Gunny, Goss, Adams even Mike Milligan is still employed I gather? Jobs that any member of the public could do quite easily. It''s not like they need the money either...

Anyway, I''ve gone off on one. Just because it''s an ex player, doesn''t make them right. I would much rather we got the right man for the job. And you may think I''m contradicting myself here, but someone like Malky would be perfect. This is because I believe he would be the right man, I can look at his qualities and he has more of an authority about him than Roberts ever had or has, and he would make a perfect coach or manager in years to come, I feel.

Dont think we actually need to replace Webb, but would be a good opportunity to get Iwan back at the club on a full time basis.  Webb was involved (apparantly) with first team training sessions. Also Dave Williams is involved with the Welsh national youth team so who is to say that he will stay too long.  I think it would be the ideal time to get Iwan back and at no additional cost to the club.

I have named my 18 month old son "Iwan Robert James" and believe Iwan Roberts must be re-instated at the club and progress to manager. I will be able to take my son to Carrow Road in a few years time and he can meet the hero he was named after. Hopefully my son will not lose his teeth though.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]Hey intenso, he didnt renew because muppet worthless didnt really want him. The season we won the league was he a regular?[/quote]

Come off it, Iwan was pretty much past it in terms of ability by that time and was never going to be a regular.

I agree with Intenso, I can recall times when Iwan threatened to leave if he didn''t get the terms he seeked. That is not loyalty. But anyway moving on, we seem to have this thing amongst us where we HAVE to appoint an ex player. Why do we all want this? Whether it''s the manager, coach, reserve manager, sales and sponsorship manager or even the bloody club ambassador, why does it always have to be an ex player? Like he said, Fleck scored bucket loads at a higher level - Roberts scored all of his goals for us in the second tier. Do we ever see people wanting Fleck to come here? It''s a shame that ex-players come back to the club and can be guaranteed a job it seems, Gunny, Goss, Adams even Mike Milligan is still employed I gather? Jobs that any member of the public could do quite easily. It''s not like they need the money either...

Anyway, I''ve gone off on one. Just because it''s an ex player, doesn''t make them right. I would much rather we got the right man for the job. And you may think I''m contradicting myself here, but someone like Malky would be perfect. This is because I believe he would be the right man, I can look at his qualities and he has more of an authority about him than Roberts ever had or has, and he would make a perfect coach or manager in years to come, I feel.

[/quote]

it''s got absolutely diddly squat with him being an ex-player, it is to do with the type of person he is, I think he would be a good example to younger players. Can you really criticise the job Gunn does? he was a top class football player and he seems to have settled into an appropriate post footballing role at Norwich which he is very suited to and does and good job, surely you can''t begrudge him that?

Well said Marty, Iwan is a great role model.

Cant make out why some people would be unhappy with this, as it isnt like he would be running the first team.

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[/quote]

it''s got absolutely diddly squat with him being an ex-player, it is to do with the type of person he is, I think he would be a good example to younger players. Can you really criticise the job Gunn does? he was a top class football player and he seems to have settled into an appropriate post footballing role at Norwich which he is very suited to and does and good job, surely you can''t begrudge him that?

[/quote]

I never criticised the job Gunn does, in fact he is one of my all time favourite players and a true NCFC legend. I was critical, however, how ex-players are invited back and get jobs with maybe little or no effort. Delia''s "I hope Iwan comes back and does a Gunny" after he left Norwich, shows that there is a guaranteed job waiting for him at the club. I wish I had such options and security...

Yeah alex, isnt it better to keep loyal ex players on the staff who love the club or have someone come in who doesnt.

What do you mean little effort, gunny and Iwan little effort!!!!!! they are legends because they were great for this club.

Giving anybody a job should be based on their qualities alone. I have great pal of 20 years standing....but wouldn''t want him working for me......I''d give him my last penny....but sentiment and good business practise don''t go together.

My call for Bowen was because he was a top defender.....and it was known that DS favoured an ex-player. Ron Saunders came out of the blue and did wonders....as did John Bond. Dave Stringer shows it can work well however....but there is never a guarantee.

For me I''d rather have Malky back than Roberts....and maybe Grant will make that happen at some stage..

I know what you are saying cluck and yes i have mates who just wouldnt have enough qualities for me to give a job to, but i believe that Iwan does have these qualities.

I do agree with what you say about Malky. I would have either of them as much as each other, maybe even a partnership? A defencive mind and an attacking mind wouldnt be a bad thing would it?

Looking around there are not alot more candidates.

[quote user="I OWN THIS CLUB"]

I know what you are saying cluck and yes i have mates who just wouldnt have enough qualities for me to give a job to, but i believe that Iwan does have these qualities.

I do agree with what you say about Malky. I would have either of them as much as each other, maybe even a partnership? A defencive mind and an attacking mind wouldnt be a bad thing would it?

Looking around there are not alot more candidates.

[/quote]

I like that combo IOTC........A defender and striker with tons of passion....and who the fans love!

Would they be more expensive to hire than Hunter and Livermore etc. I wonder? Apparently Iwan has his badges....Malky is still playing, so plenty of energy. For me...improving this level at the club could be better than two new signings in January.

Yes lets save the pennies, what is the point in a reserve manager? Thats what they are saying, but what do they know about football.

See all this cost saving doesnt really cut costs in the long run. It leaves you falling behind your oposition and down the league and before you know it you have had it.