Sign in to follow this  
Canary02

Eagle

Out of all the kerfuffle that came out of Saturday, whatever the rights and wrongs, could I ask all supporters, regardless of your Grant stance, to give young Robert Eagle a chance.

One thing on Saturday certainly was a disgrace, and that was the morons that booed and moaned about Eagle. A young, home-grown player in only his second start, playing with the support of a midfield that the additional presence of Ronaldinho and Gerrard couldn''t have raised beyond mediocre, the kid worked extremely hard. Whilst he''s still naive at times and physically a little small, he swung over some of the best crosses we''ve had all season and with less profligate finishing we could have been two up at half-time thanks to 2 assists from Eagle. The sub-species who booed him need castrating from the roof of the Barclay in my opinion.

PLEASE think before you destroy a decent young talent just because you''re frustrated at watching the detritus of Worthington''s leftovers play out their last days for City before January.

I wasnt aware of anyone booing and he has shown glimpses of hope for the future.   However his needs to be developed slowly - on the bench for me tonight (full support if he starts though) and given more pitch time if things are going well.   Thats the way to bring these youngsters on.

I disagree C02.  We pay his wages thus we can destroy him whenever we like!!Seriously though, people didn’t understand why Worthy was reluctant to play youngsters, well Saturday just highlights why. 

This is a typical football fan frustration.  The answer to all the teams’ problems always lies in the players not currently being picked and especially the youngsters.  We see a couple of slightly promising performances from the likes of Eagle and convince ourselves that he really could be the missing piece of the puzzle that completes the team.  When it later dawns on us that Eagle is just a decent young player with potential and is in fact not the world class player we convinced ourselves he is, we turn on him.  Another example in this is McVeigh.  When he is not playing he is the best thing since sliced bread, when he is, he is lazy and uninterested!  It’s just like the media hyping up England to win the World Cup then rounding on them for not doing so..

We don’t seem to be prepared as fans to give our youngsters a chance to develop and forget that the likes of Eadie, Giggs, Rooney etc who star at an early age are the exception not the rule.

i agree o2 his treatment was shocking and if only players attacked the crosses more we would have an end product. nobody booed earnshaw for his backpass to the keeper after a great eagle cross did they?

agree, he put in 2 superb left footed crosses which we almost scored from through Hucks and earnie. he is a bit small but hes only young and inexperienced.what use is moaning at him?

Eagle was not booed by anyone near me on saturday and i wouldn''t dream of booing him. I would say however that he is clearly not the answer to our problems at the moment as, although it appears he can cross a ball which is a refreshing change, he looks lightweight and pedestrian on the ball.

I don''t recall him being booed. It would be counter productive to do so. He''s only a young lad and has showed some glimpses of quality, though he''s not going to be the next Henry, or even Bellamy, but he must be treated with respect.

I''m not Hendersons biggest fan, but some of the crowd were always on his case? Is that going to make him a better player? No.

[quote user="Sherlock Holmes"]

I don''t think Eagle was the player being booed.  I think people were booing Grant''s decision to replace him with Hughes.

[/quote]

That''s ok then [8-)]

[quote user="Sherlock Holmes"]

I don''t think Eagle was the player being booed.  I think people were booing Grant''s decision to replace him with Hughes.

[/quote]YES I BOOED GRANT FOR TAKING OFF EAGLE FOR HUGHES THATS A DISGRACE.

GRANT MUST GO.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

I disagree C02.  We pay his wages thus we can destroy him whenever we like!!Seriously though, people didn’t understand why Worthy was reluctant to play youngsters, well Saturday just highlights why. 

This is a typical football fan frustration.  The answer to all the teams’ problems always lies in the players not currently being picked and especially the youngsters.  We see a couple of slightly promising performances from the likes of Eagle and convince ourselves that he really could be the missing piece of the puzzle that completes the team.  When it later dawns on us that Eagle is just a decent young player with potential and is in fact not the world class player we convinced ourselves he is, we turn on him.  Another example in this is McVeigh.  When he is not playing he is the best thing since sliced bread, when he is, he is lazy and uninterested!  It’s just like the media hyping up England to win the World Cup then rounding on them for not doing so..

We don’t seem to be prepared as fans to give our youngsters a chance to develop and forget that the likes of Eadie, Giggs, Rooney etc who star at an early age are the exception not the rule.

[/quote]

It''s a difficult line to tread. You can certainly understand a manger wanting to protect his young players from the morons and boo-boys, but then how do you give them the opportunities they will need if they are to break in to the first team? Not even Worthy managed to protect Henderson.Shackell is the only one so far who has managed to run this particular gauntlet unscathed and install himself as a first team regular. Helped in no small part by his debut performance in our title winning season against Cardiff and one R Earnshaw. He was well and truly "Shackelled" that day!

[quote user="king of latvia"][quote user="Sherlock Holmes"]

[/quote]YES I BOOED GRANT FOR TAKING OFF EAGLE FOR HUGHES THATS A DISGRACE.

GRANT MUST GO.

[/quote]

Haven''t you got a NATO summit to look after? Surely Tony must need some tea and cup cakes or something...

Should Grant go because of his substitution, or because of his comments? I hope we can all have something to evoke at least a small smile tomorrow morning.

Every week we hear about some young ''debutant'' coming on elsewhere and wreaking havoc.......why doesn''t that happen with our kids?  They aren''t that bad surely.......

Sorry.

Eagle is just not up to the mark at all.

Apart from one cross tonight again he looked like a headless chicken!!!

Too Small, Too Slow, Not skilled enough, Not good enough.

Ship him out to Kings Lynn!

Sorry but its true, and I''m not the only fan in the stand saying it.

Cheers

I still Eagle was our new Darren Eadie although he''s not quick as Darren, but his crossing and dead balls were good, also when Eagle play, Hucks can play up front and we can play 4-4-2.

put in a quality cross yet again though for the third goal last night. he needs time and nurturing because i believe the potential is there

[quote user="koimatsuba"]

Sorry.

Cheers

[/quote]

Yep, lets kick him out based on 5 minutes of last nights game. 

He is young, give him time for pitys sake!!!  

Sorry.

Cheers

[/quote]the one cross he put in what happened to it?

Sorry.

Cheers

[/quote]

Are we trying to destroy another youngster with potential?

"Apart from one cross tonight again he looked like a headless chicken" - How long was he out there, 10 mins tops.

Unless koimatsuba was joking I find his outlook rather disturbing.  Does he realise that the players are real, or does he think they''re robots?

As a matter of interest koimatsuba, do you spend a lot of time playing computer games?

I can''t sit hear chomping my sandwich and let you get away with this. Eagle is quick, has lots of ability and is definitely good enough. He''s young, enthusiastic, energetic, takes people on, gets good crosses in and is a home grown product. As for being too small, what  a lot of tripe. If a player doesn''t have the attributes listed size really doesn''t matter ; if a player has little ability then being tall will make no difference - just make his lack of ability stand out even more ! If you want proof that being short makes no difference if you''ve got the ability look no further than Our Earnie.... or Eadie or Cureton, Defoe, Walcott -  the list is endless.  Broadly on the same subject, I wish some of our fans would stop being so nasty and personal about our players on message boards. What''s the point, what benefit is there from being so vitriolic about Hughes and Robinson and any other player ? It''s simply counter productive. For my part, if a player is clearly committed and doing his best I''ll support him and from what I''ve seen both Hughes and Robinson fall into this category.

i agree with Baron (and im chomping on a satsuma!!)

I like Eagle, ok so he might not be as quick as the likes of hucks, Eadie etc. but he has a good touch, and can whip in some excellent crosses. if we had a decent target man i reckon eagle would be a huge player for the team, he could really contribute some goals with his crosses.

he can only get better and i think he will, maybe needs to take people on a bit more and spend 6 months in the gym to beef up a bit, but a great talent and one who will become a 1st team regular i think.

jas :)

I think Eagle looks a fairly tidy player and, to go back to the original point, I was completely unaware that anyone was booing him at any point. At the very least, he brings our number of left-footed players up from 2 to the dizzying heights of 3.  And he''s got a good cross on him. The only thing I''d moan about is the fact that a) he needs to get his hair cut and b) it''s quite hard to tell him and McVeigh apart when they''re both on the pitch.

When he came on against Ipswich, I was dying to shout at him that his hair really isn''t helping him out...

Still, the uglier they are, the better the player! [:P] Good to see him contribute last night. He''s obviously involved on merit and I''m sure we''ll see some of the others come through when they''re deemed ready.

how long was eagle playing for last night? 10 minuits if that. is that really long enough to get it to the game.  if it wasnt for eagle we would not of scored our 3rd goal. so i think he is a good little player and he is what we did for the corners and crosses and maybe when he is more confident he might try shooting more. also some people like koimatsuba should give him a chance!!!

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Unless koimatsuba was joking I find his outlook rather disturbing.  Does he realise that the players are real, or does he think they''re robots?

As a matter of interest koimatsuba, do you spend a lot of time playing computer games?

[/quote]

No I''m a self employed person who does like computer games (xbox360) and I''m a Season ticket holder who doesn''t miss a game.

(IMO & many others in the Barclay around me.) Every game I''ve seen him play (EAGLE) he looks out of sorts. Against HULL he wasn''t up to the mark. 1, 2 , 3 crosses in 90 minutes is crap!

He is simply not up to the first teams class. He is no way near Darren Eadie/ Ruel Fox/ Kevin Harper/Dale Gordon.

(If you think he is then god help us.)

Give him some more games in the reserves and BUY a New right winger in Jan. Don''t play Mcveigh ethier. We looked so much better without Mcveigh on Tuesday.

So theres your answer!

Cheers All

how can you judge the lad so quick? the most time hes been on the pitch is for 60 mins! he has played 6 games, 4 of which are as sub. the time to judge is after he has a run of a few starts. i remember bellamys first game at oldham and i thought he was a wimp, but look at him now!! ffs give the lad a chance before crucifying him

[quote user="baldyboy"]how can you judge the lad so quick? the most time hes been on the pitch is for 60 mins! he has played 6 games, 4 of which are as sub. the time to judge is after he has a run of a few starts. i remember bellamys first game at oldham and i thought he was a wimp, but look at him now!! [/quote]

now he''s a gobby Wimp.

jas :)